closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Symbols and signs

Symbols and signs

I have come to realise I have a set of arbitrary, unjustifiable symbols and signs that I either do, or do not, like to see on a watch.

For example:

I like the Geneva Seal; I dislike the Patek Seal (marking their own homework, as it were).

I like the bellflower of the the Seiko Micro Artist Studio; I dislike the “special dial” star.

I like the Credor “golden peak” logo on crown, caseback and buckles but can’t stand it on a dial.

Anyone else have symbols that they love to see? Hate to see?

(Btw, if anyone’s in the mood for a cracking short story, the title of this thread is from Nabokov, here: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1...bols-and-signs)

I can't help but think most such symbols are subtle enough to be unobtrusive, the one truly, madly, glaring exception are the Blancpain 'no-radiation' reissues. I guess it's daft of me: without the symbol the watch would be meaningless, but dear god it's the proverbial 'monstrous carbuncle...'

Beyond that it's more the case of egregious descriptors on dials that irk - it can all get a bit G.I. Joe at times, oh, and some of the plain old godawfulugly logos that brands adore - couple of absolute stinkers, albeit at the other end of the food-chain:

A Universe of infinite possibilities and THESE were the best you could come up with?!

Mind, that said, "Whitebread-but-in-French"...? Hmmm...

Someone has to mention the Prospex “X”. Or is it a “PS”? Or just a stain on too many otherwise-splendid Seiko dials? It too evokes Charles-and-National Gallery thoughts of carbuncles.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I like the Credor “golden peak” logo on crown, caseback and buckles but can’t stand it on a dial.
    So something like this…

…as opposed to something like this:

I can see I will be paying hard for my Best of Friday faux pas

Oh sorry 😆

Actually, I don’t mind it as an applied index - it’s when printed it seems to rankle…

Last edited by JGJG; 21st January 2023 at 09:47.

This is what I see...

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries

Symbols and signs

This one for me…

They make some fine looking watches, but that logo just grates on me.

z

Master
    This drives me mad...

Now I love Squale watches; their long-standing heritage of making water resistant cases for others shows they know what they're doing.

But, make a frickin' decision on your logo. Is it an icon, or just your name, or your name in a curved fish?

"I know, let's just put them all on the dial!"

Just the name is enough, lose the rest of the gumph.

^^^ I see your issue there

However relevant it is to their name, I especially dislike Squale's curved shark - it looks like it has rigor mortis...

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    However relevant it is to their name, I especially dislike Squale's curved shark - it looks like it has rigor mortis...
    Certainly doesn’t look very predatory. And who does a shark without a fin? Looks more like a mackerel.

More like one of those fish you sometimes get in Christmas crackers that are supposed to foretell something, which I've now forgotten, if they curl up.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I like my Tactical Frog logos , however , frogs are far from tactical, they just jump when danger threatens, frying pan/ fire scenario, I suppose..

Master
    I’ve never really understood the appeal of having COMEX plastered over the Rolex dials.
    I realise the rarity/value aspect but it looks a bit industrial for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The Speedmaster 12 o'clock marker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    I like my Tactical Frog logos , however , frogs are far from tactical, they just jump when danger threatens, frying pan/ fire scenario, I suppose..
    Frogmen on the other hand ...

I’m not a fan of Christopher Ward’s trident second hands. Their new logo on the other hand I rather like.

007 on the dial
    Just looks a bit like your having a mid life crisis lol

When the font of the brand and logo gets fatter by the years and make it as present on the dial as the hands and indices, like this:

Or when a watch I find beautiful is that prestigious it apparently needs to display no less than 5 big shiny stars on the dial, and on top of that, distracts from the main logo which is one of my favourites

Not a huge fan of Orient's logo either...

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I have come to realise I have a set of arbitrary, unjustifiable symbols and signs that I either do, or do not, like to see on a watch.

For example:

I like the Geneva Seal; I dislike the Patek Seal (marking their own homework, as it were).

I like the bellflower of the the Seiko Micro Artist Studio; I dislike the “special dial” star.

Anyone else have symbols that they love to see? Hate to see?

(Btw, if anyone’s in the mood for a cracking short story, the title of this thread is from Nabokov, here: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1...bols-and-signs)
    The Seiko 'special dial' star is probably carried over from the 60s, when they used different marks to show what material the indices are made of (for example solid gold or gold plated). I'm (unfortunately) not in the market for anything coming from the Seiko Micro Artist Studio, but do like these markings on the vintage watches I collect.

I also seem to be the only one who likes the Squale shark. Not sure what this all says about my taste...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    007 on the dial
    Just looks a bit like your having a mid life crisis lol

Now I like that, my favourite SM.

But I am having a mid life crisis so it's spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    This is what I see...

Good gawd, not seen a spectrum analyser with a CRT for a while! Hmmn, I think our local EMC lab may still have a couple for compliance work.