closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: National Insurance Contributions / State Pension

Master
    Just checked my parents'...doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me!

For my dad it says:
    31 years of full contributions.You cannot improve your forecast and the forecast is 203 per week. (Thought you needed 35 to get the max!?)

For my mum it says:
    41 years of full contributions. You cannot improve your forecast and the forecast is 198 per week. But she needs one more year to reach 203 per week. She is retired.

I don't think we will do anything for either of them at the moment. But good to check nonethless.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Credits and contributions might be the explanation?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post

For my dad it says:
    31 years of full contributions.You cannot improve your forecast and the forecast is 203 per week. (Thought you needed 35 to get the max!?)

For my mum it says:
    41 years of full contributions. You cannot improve your forecast and the forecast is 198 per week. But she needs one more year to reach 203 per week. She is retired.

I don't think we will do anything for either of them at the moment. But good to check nonethless.
    Did your mum contract out?

National Insurance Contributions / State Pension

For my dad it says:

For my mum it says:

SERPS and transitional rules from the old state pension to the new state pension will be the reasons.

Your mum should be able to make a voluntary contribution to make up that one year. I think its a few hundred pounds but worth it for the additional - index linked - pension. Break-even would be a few years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Credits and contributions might be the explanation?
    I think I did see this wording on a couple of the years way back. I didn't quite understand what the 'credits' actually meant though to be honest. I also had this on mine when I was checking mine - for quite a few of the years, including the last tax year, no idea why or what it meant so ignored it, assumed it was an error. When watching the video lined bt NTL above, the chap also mentioned the years on his calculation did not add up either, so just assumed the system was not foolproof and their data maybe not bang on.

Quote Originally Posted by guli View Post
    Did your mum contract out?
    No, I don't think she ever has.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    SERPS and transitional rules from the old state pension to the new state pension will be the reasons.

Your mum should be able to make a voluntary contribution to make up that one year. I think it’s a few hundred pounds but worth it for the additional - index linked - pension. Break-even would be a few years.
    I will ask her to consider that, thank you. She has a little while until 67 so the 31 July deadline is not overly relevant, as she will still be able to go back 6 years I believe and top up, if I understand this correctly.
    Last edited by Boss13; 11th June 2023 at 08:16.

Master
    Deadline for voluntary contributions extended again.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...-to-april-2025

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post

What are they playing at!?

Are they just maximising cash now and worrying about the future another time. Very weird. Keep setting arbitrary deadlines and then changing them is just bizarre.

Master
    Blog Entries

Apparently Martin Lewis is discussing it in detail on his programme at 8pm tonight (?ITV)

What are they playing at!?

Are they just maximising cash now and worrying about the future another time. Very weird. Keep setting arbitrary deadlines and then changing them is just bizarre.
    Isnt it reducing cash flow (if only slightly in the scheme of things)? You can still only pay contributions back to 2006(?) but youve longer to do it.

Dont know why people need so long to think about it but there you go.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 13th June 2023 at 18:15.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Apparently Martin Lewis is discussing it in detail on his programme at 8pm tonight (?ITV)
    Gov website can't cope with volume it's created. Jsut tried to check mine.

Master
    I think these days they could run a degree course on pensions as they are so complicated..

I checked my forecast earlier in the year and it said I was forecast to receive the maximum of 185 a week - despite being contracted out for 'part of the State Pension'.
    Just checked it again after reading this thread and it now says I'm forecast to receive a state pension of 203.85 per week - and despite still paying NI I cannot 'improve my forecast anymore'.. Not due to start collecting it till 2031..
    Last edited by bry nylon; 14th June 2023 at 21:15. Reason: typo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    I think these days they could run a degree course on pensions as they are so complicated..

I checked my forecast earlier in the year and it said I was forecast to receive the maximum of 185 a week - despite being contracted out for 'part of the State Pension'.
    Just checked it again after reading this thread and it now says I'm forecast to receive a state pension of 203.85 per week - and despite still paying NI I cannot 'improve my forecast anymore'.. Not due to start collecting it till 2031..
    The pension will have gone up by 10% to match inflation so that increase would be correct.

Master
    nice one! maybe I should put my name down on the Rolex list, might be able to get one by 2031!

Ive tried to ring the pension helpline loads of times
    Always busy or just get cut off

Master
    So is the 203.85 the maximum forecast everyone would get? I just checked mine now and thats what it is saying for me too.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    So is the 203.85 the maximum forecast everyone would get? I just checked mine now and thats what it is saying for me too.

Yep, you can have 100 qualifying years, but thats the max.

Master
    For some reason, a couple of my years (more than 5 years ago) have the following:

"We are checking this year to see if it counts towards your pension. Well update your record when this is finished, you do not need to do anything."

Any idea what that's about?

Thanks for the thread. Did my mother in laws yesterday. Extra 1.6k needed for an extra 10 per week. Will do my mums next week.

PSA - I heard on a financial advice podcast that anyone wishing to make a payment for historic years can do so on the HMRC website. If not registered then one needs to register first via the government gateway (I think). The HMRC website apparently accepts card payments too. This may require you to first calculate how much back payment you need to make, but such shouldn't be very hard and I understand there are websites with calculators to do so.
    The HMRC phone lines have been in meltdown because of this deadline and thousands trying to get through for the same reason.

Not necessarily as many folk will have contracted out in the 70s or 80s through SERPS so they likely qualify for more - or sometimes less. Don't worry about them though - the 203.85 is the limit for those of us under a certain age and didn't do the SERPS thing.

Master
    Not necessarily as many folk will have contracted out in the 70s or 80s through SERPS so they likely qualify for more - or sometimes less. Don't worry about them though - the 203.85 is the limit for those of us under a certain age and didn't do the SERPS thing.
    I did do the SERPS thing and when I looked on the gov website it said I would get the 203.85. So does that mean Ill get a little extra on top?

I did do the SERPS thing and when I looked on the gov website it said I would get the 203.85. So does that mean Ill get a little extra on top?
    Your company/private pension will have probably benefitted from it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Thanks for the thread. Did my mother in laws yesterday. Extra 1.6k needed for an extra 10 per week. Will do my mums next week.
    I'm one year short of the max but for some reason the difference is only 1.07 a week so not sure if it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I'm one year short of the max but for some reason the difference is only 1.07 a week so not sure if it's worth it.
    Well that 1.07 will grow under the pension triple lock, so you should recover the 800ish cost within the first 10 years or so of retirement.
    Last edited by Halitosis; 18th June 2023 at 12:46. Reason: bad maths

Master
    Just checked and I'm topped out after 35 years, but around 5 of those years were part-time work as a student so I'm surprised I'm maxed out.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    When you are topped out do your contributions stop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon76 View Post

No - as long as you are working/earning - you still pay in.......................

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon76 View Post

As said above, the govt page makes it clear you are maxed out but also clear you are now paying for lots of other services publicly funded from now on.

Is there any qualifying points you need to be able to pay for any shortfalls? The missus is a stay at home wife, can I just pay 35 years worth of contributions over the years? And if we retired overseas could I pay the difference when we are there? On my side I'll get the full amount but the missus won't qualify for anything.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Is there any qualifying points you need to be able to pay for any shortfalls? The missus is a stay at home wife, can I just pay 35 years worth of contributions over the years? And if we retired overseas could I pay the difference when we are there? On my side I'll get the full amount but the missus won't qualify for anything.
    I'd definitely speak to an IFA before considering that, just to be absolutely clear on the rules.

Master
    Check what she’s entitled to already- there are various credits for people that don’t work. She must qualify for something (maybe)

But you should really look at setting up a private pension for her as I think the max NI contributions you can make is 6 years
    Last edited by craig1912; 18th June 2023 at 21:11.

Master
    From what I understand it currently allows you to go back to 2006.
    Then only 6 years after the deadline.
    The deadline of 31 July was supposed to mean you can then only go back 6 years but that has now been extended. That was my brief reading of the rules.

Master
    Answers are , no, yes,yes.
    Take advantage of the opportunity to catch up as many years are available for her now and then pay in each year which you can do even if overseas though you have to fill the correct forms.
    BTW check your record as well to make sure there are no errors or missing years.

Ryan - minor caveat - I believe catch-up back payments are only allowed for years in which an individual was UK domiciled.

Master
    Ryan - minor caveat - I believe catch-up back payments are only allowed for years in which an individual was UK domiciled.
    This is not correct. You can pay as long you have a NI number.

Another thing to consider is this.

If you retire to some countries (Thailand being one), your pension wont "go up" every year, It will stay the same,not getting any yearly increase.

Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    Another thing to consider is this.

If you retire to some countries (Thailand being one), your pension wont "go up" every year, It will stay the same,not getting any yearly increase.
    Interesting point you have made there, and not something I was fully aware of. Details are below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-state-pension

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm not very good at this stuff so maybe someone can translate into "moron" for me.

I checked mine and all years are showing full except for 3y at uni and 1y post grad, from 94-98. It says it's too late to top them up so I need too work an extra 9y for a 203 PW pension, currently showing as 150ish. Is there anything I can do about this?

A mate checked his we are the same age but he had a Saturday job for 2y and no post grad. His was 190 and only needs to work another 3y!

I believe full time students should get NI credit for years at uni - I certainly did, though didnt do post grad so not sure about that element. Might be worth querying with HMRC if you can provide evidence.

Master
    I believe full time students should get NI credit for years at uni - I certainly did, though didnt do post grad so not sure about that element. Might be worth querying with HMRC if you can provide evidence.
    This makes me suspect mine has automatically been added for the 5 years I was there.

Master

When was that? I got them for 6th form but not university.

When was that? I got them for 6th form but not university.
    I just checked my record on the HMRC website and was at uni 2003-2006. For each of these years, the website says "You have contributions from National Insurance credits: 52 weeks. These may have been added to your record if you were ill/disabled, unemployed, caring for someone full-time or on jury service."

Alarmingly the above doesn't call out student, but I'm sure not going to query it with them... Perhaps the rules changed before or since my uni days. I can't imagine living in Scotland or being a mature student were factors.

When I logged in, I also saw the message "The deadline for making voluntary National Insurance contributions for eligible taxpayers with National Insurance gaps between April 2006 to April 2018 has been extended to 5 April 2025. Because of the demand on the service, payments may take more than the expected 8 weeks to show on your records." so that should help anyone who's battling to get through on the phone lines.

Master
    I just checked my record on the HMRC website and was at uni 2003-2006. For each of these years, the website says "You have contributions from National Insurance credits: 52 weeks. These may have been added to your record if you were ill/disabled, unemployed, caring for someone full-time or on jury service."

Alarmingly the above doesn't call out student, but I'm sure not going to query it with them... Perhaps the rules changed before or since my uni days. I can't imagine living in Scotland or being a mature student were factors.

When I logged in, I also saw the message "The deadline for making voluntary National Insurance contributions for eligible taxpayers with National Insurance gaps between April 2006 to April 2018 has been extended to 5 April 2025. Because of the demand on the service, payments may take more than the expected 8 weeks to show on your records." so that should help anyone who's battling to get through on the phone lines.

I think you’ve just got lucky there. Can’t see anything to suggest students were ever entitled to credits.

https://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/na...s-a66tG5V9dkv0

If students don't do paid work, they're not credited with NICs for the years they are studying.This creates a gap in their contributions record, although most will still work for enough years after qualifying to merit a full state pension.”

Master
    I think you’ve just got lucky there. Can’t see anything to suggest students were ever entitled to credits.

https://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/na...s-a66tG5V9dkv0

If students don't do paid work, they're not credited with NICs for the years they are studying.This creates a gap in their contributions record, although most will still work for enough years after qualifying to merit a full state pension.”
    I worked in the holidays, so I assumed that was what got me my student credits rather than for just being a student.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I worked in the holidays, so I assumed that was what got me my student credits rather than for just being a student.
    If you only had holiday jobs, youd not accumulate a full years contributions. My record has some credits for similar but they dont amount to sufficient to give me a years pension and theyre beyond the extended deadline, unfortunately.

Thats just my understanding, I should emphasise, and Id be very interested to hear if things are different.

Blog Entries
    Just checked mine and .gov says "your forecast is 207.98 a week (10,852.10 a year).

"207.98 is the most I can get"

I have 38 years of full contributions. And says I can't improve.

I wonder why it is greater than some? Can't access until 2028 though.. NB - I did do the contracted out of SERPS thing.. and then contracted back in when advised
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 20th June 2023 at 17:29.
    Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it. HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Just checked mine and .gov says "your forecast is 207.98 a week (10,852.10 a year).

"207.98 is the most I can get"

I have 38 years of full contributions. And says I can't improve.

I wonder why it is greater than some? Can't access until 2028 though.. NB - I did do the contracted out of SERPS thing.. and then contracted back in when advised
    Its a whole mysterious black art, as there are transitional rules that were introduced over a period between those who fully qualified under the old state pension, and the whole "new" state pension which applies this 35 years of contributions rules. I imagine most of us TZ-UK members fall somewhere into the transition period. It appears to me that those slightly older and nearer the start of the transition rules generally get a higher maximum (SERPs notwithstanding). Logging in to the HMRC website for the first time is a bit of a lottery as most of us have no idea how much we might expect

Finally got round to sorting mine out today, heres a few details in case anyone else’s circumstances are similar.

I took early retirement from the Civil Service aged 51 at the end of 2012 and haven’t paid a single penny NI since. My record shows that I have a full 35 years in, but due to the dates of those years and contracted out pensions etc, it showed that my entitlement from June 2028 (aged 67) would be 156.00 per week.

On the Govt website each year since 2012 the amount needed to buy additional years was around 824.00 per year, something like 7,360.00 which is not an easy amount to lightly give to the taxman.

Having done research and listened to Martin endlessly banging on about this, I took the plunge this afternoon and rang up. Took me 50 mins to get through, even painted a wall whilst I was waiting.

The guy was very helpful and explained my particular circumstances to me. The outcome was that at this time they only required payment from 2016 onwards. Not sure why 2013 to 2015 didn’t count, but instantly saved me several of those nasty 824 payments.

Basically, for a payment of 5,700.00 now my projected figure would immediately jump from 156 to 197 a week. He also confirmed that on top of that if I pay for this year in a years time (around 900) I will be fully maxed out.

Long story short, I paid the guy and I am relieved that I have.

Interesting point for those on the fence. Although you now have until 2025 those figures for each year are reviewed at the end of July and can increase, so although you have plenty of time delaying could cost you more in the long run.

Checked mine and im two years off, due to contracting out, for the full 203

Interestingly the wifes came back as fully paid up but showed a rate of 217 which is odd.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by T1ckT0ck; 21st June 2023 at 22:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    something like 7,360.00 which is not an easy amount to lightly give to the taxman.
    You have not lightly given to the taxman.

You have cleverly calculated that the so called taxman will pay you back several times over if you hand him some money.

You are not hard done by this service.

On the contrary you have wisely done extremely well out of it, and I dont blame you for one moment.

So, please tell it as it is. The so called taxman has offered you a fantastic no lose one way bet which you quite rightly have accepted.