closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Turbo Trainerists, best/most reliable way to use Zwift?

Master

Turbo Trainerists, best/most reliable way to use Zwift?

As there's a fair few cyclists on here, guessing a few of you will be using Zwift for winter training?

I started using it a few years back on my laptop with a tacx smart trainer and my old road bike, which was ok but a bit of a faff to load up and sometimes froze.
    Not used it for last year or two and now need to start doing some form of indoor training, my old laptop won't run Zwift anymore though as it needs windows 10(?).

Read that apple tv may be the way forward, could run it on an old TV, anyone use this combination? I want something that will connect to the smart trainer (tacx) and my hr monitor ideally.

Looking to do it on a budget and will leave it set up in the garage all the time so it's just ready to jump on, something that doesn't take an age to load would be ideal...

Any ideas/recommendations welcome, cheers.

Apple TV 4th gen or newer for Zwift

https://www.zwift.com/news/28691-upg...ns?__znl=en-gb

My Wahoo HR monitor connects to the Apple TV as does the bike.

You can even just use Zwift on an old phone but it will probably need to be plugged in.

With respect to the best device for running Zwift a pc (at least 4th Gen Intel CPU) with a modest graphics card (GTX 1050 or better) is the way to go in my opinion. Obviously you can spend much more, but I’m not sure the investment is worth it. Some good starter info can be found on Zwift Insider and that will probably lead you to the dedicated FB group. AppleTV has a much reduced graphics profile in Zwift - the difference is massive.

Master
    I use my wife's old iPad paired to my Tacx Smart trainer, works with no problems.

I used mine with an Apple TV, worked every time no connection issues etc

Using an old iPad, which I then cast to TV. Works a treat.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I'm also using an old iPad for Zwift with an ancient iphone on the bike for the Companion app, then some cheap heart rate monitor - hasnt missed a beat! :) then have a slightly newer iPad linked to the TV so I can watch films/TV while cycling and the km just fly by!

Master
    Cheers all.

I do have an old ipad knocking about somewhere so could give that a try in the interim. Ideally looking at something I could connect up to an old tv though so the apple tv is looking good.
    Will any 4th gen or newer apple tv do? Just off ebay or is that a bad idea?

Thanks.

Master
    Would second the suggestion of an iPad, probably the best / quickest way to get it going. Other option being Apple TV.

If you have the inclination, adding a projector to the system absolutely transforms the experience. I used to use if in my garage, and had the back wall white. Bought an old projector off Gumtree, and hooked up to the iPad is not only quick to get going, but the experience is like being there. Really immersive way to do the training.

Apple TV for the main program and I use my iPad for the companion app - using both makes the experience much easier, trying to use the Apple TV remote whilst cycling is almost impossible….

I have a Wahoo kicker core and Garmin HR monitor connected to the Apple TV as it can only have 2 Bluetooth connections to it, the actual power is my Garmin pedals which control the power and are connected to the Kickr, which gives me a relatable power when I cycle outside.

There is an apple TV on SC if you are interested

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk