closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sub ND at a premium or SD 43 at retail?

Master

Sub ND at a premium or SD 43 at retail?

With the price increases and its general lack of popularity, with a bit of luck you can get a SD 43 at retail now say €13.5k euro or on a private sale you can get an unowrn 124060 for around €11.5k euro.

I have owned a few subs before (including a hulk i sold a few years back because i thought they had gotten overvalued) and have tried the sd43 on (exhibition model ), just about torn about what to go for,

part of me is leaning towards the sd43 as i havent had one before, i like the red text and there is something about not paying over retail, that said id expect both watches to probably shed 20% of the prices i listed above over the next year or two anyway.

what would you go for?

Master
    I would choose a watch based on its aesthetics and how it wears, less so it's 'value' with respect to RRP. The SD43 wears very differently to the ND Sub from a comfort perspective, and it is aesthetically far more 'in your face'. Some like/prefer it, others don't. YMMV.

I have had both. Imho, the ND Sub > SD43. All day, every day. But that's just me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    I would choose a watch based on its aesthetics and how it wears, less so it's 'value' with respect to RRP. The SD43 wears very differently to the ND Sub from a comfort perspective, and it is aesthetically far more 'in your face'. Some like/prefer it, others don't. YMMV.

I have had both. Imho, the ND Sub > SD43. All day, every day. But that's just me.
    sorry i probably didnt make that clear, i like the aesthetics of both and how they wear and i have probably owned almost all of the current Rolex sports models at some point or another over the past 10 years so im not jumping on the hype train.

interesting that you have both and prefer the ND though.

As an SD43 owner it comes down to wrist size for me. I love the 43mm size and wouldn't consider any of the 40/41mm models for this reason.

That's what would drive my decision.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    As an SD43 owner it comes down to wrist size for me. I love the 43mm size and wouldn't consider any of the 40/41mm models for this reason.

That's what would drive my decision.
    yes, in that sense i could go both ways oooh er...

Im 6 1 with a 7.25 wrist so can pull a sd43 off but a regular sub never felt small either to be fair.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    sorry i probably didnt make that clear, i like the aesthetics of both and how they wear and i have probably owned almost all of the current Rolex sports models at some point or another over the past 10 years so im not jumping on the hype train.

interesting that you have both and prefer the ND though.
    Sorry, I wasn't suggesting you were jumping on the hype train either. As Mondie says, if you have the wrists to carry off the SD43 comfortably, then I suspect the ND may actually be on the smallish side. Perhaps. I had both - the SD43 got sold within a couple weeks as I found it too top heavy, a borderline too large for my preferences, and a bit too 'Dallas' for what it is. The ND stayed longer, but also got sold. What has stayed, is the 116600 SD4K which I think is the best combination of all Rolex sports models and blends it into one.

I had the 124060 and at no point did I think it was too small, at 6'1, approx 15 stone I could certainly wear a larger watch, but I want to wear the watch, not the watch wear me. A 124060 sits nicely under the shirt so can be easily hidden, larger watches are more 'on display' which is something I personally try to avoid.

I have both and for me the Sub ND 41 is a much more well rounded and pleasing watch to wear and look at than my SD43.

If I could only keep two watches they would be the Sub ND 41 and D-Blue. SD43 is the a fork in the road IMO but everyone is different.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    SD43 for me.
    IMO it's criminally underrated, largely due to its size, but it's my hands down favourite Rolex.

SD for me
    if I’m buying a dive Rolex I much prefer Sea-Dweller on the dial. Subs are nice, but very common ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Another vote for the SD from me. IMHO it is the perfect six digit Rolex.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Master
    For me its all about wrist size I had the SD50 and Ive had subs in the past but they dont wear as well on me (Imo) I do have 8.5" wrists though and have a JC as a daily

I also couldnt deal with paying over RRP but again thats the market I guess
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 17th January 2023 at 12:58.

Depends on the day/week/month - I don't own the SubND but my preference between my SubD and SD43 varies. The SD43 did fix the top-heavy issues of the 16600 (for me anyway). I couldn't get on with the SDc and sold it on for Ł6k, my biggest watch mistake ...

P.S. I'm neither large nor tall - but not petite either (not Tony like ).

Blog Entries
    This is my personal opinion: I have had the SD43 soon after it was released (with the MK1 dial ha ha) that was a few years ago. It got moved on for the reason my watches get moved on - I wanted to try something else and I wasn't wearing the SD43 so much. I have a 6 3/4" flat wrist (5' 10" and 160pounds if you really must know).

The SD43 wore fine as I go on lug-lug size not diameter and anything under 50mm is fine for me. With a flat wrist I found it wore ok - if you have a round wrist (more flesh I guess) you may find it slips around bit but it does have the easy-link clasp for a good fit. Anyway it's sold now

I also have a Submariner ND 41mm which is still in my little collection. I think this 124060 iteration bought it back to classic proportions shaving off a millimetre here at the shoulders and adding back one there at the bracelet balanced it out after the more boxy 114060. It is classic dive watch.

Here is the 41mm compared to my Hulk and YM40

This was the 114060 by comparison (yes I had one of those too!)

Sadly the SD43 has become just another jewellery watch - now available in bi-metal - but this is probably inevitable.

One Rolex I wish I still had was the SD 16660 sold on this very forum - if anyone has it please PM and I will give the going rate. It had the silver surrounds on the dial but it was such a beauty and with provenance of the sale listing in a famous auction house with reciept, here it is:

It was bullet proof and yet vintage with a tried and tested rock hard movement and case that would protect it to 1220m and beyond.. what's not to like..

Anyway OP - I would get the one you like - not quite sure of the stipulation for an 'unworn' watch as long as its under warranty you should not have any issues? A couple of marks on the clasp / polished case can be fixed at next service? Seems like you are keen not lose money - there is a reason the SD43 is more available. . .

Here is a left field suggestion - what about a YM - can be bought below list with some hunting and is a rather elegant alternative

Good luck with the hunt.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 16th January 2023 at 19:12.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    SD43 would be my choice

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

One Rolex I wish I still had was the SD 16660 sold on this very forum - if anyone has it please PM and I will give the going rate. It had the silver surrounds on the dial but it was such a beauty and with provenance of the sale listing in a famous auction house with reciept. Any I digress - here it is:

It was bullet proof and yet vintage with a tried and tested rock hard movement and case that would protect it to 1220m and beyond.. what's not to like..

Anyway OP - I would get the one you like - not quite sure of the stipulation for an 'unworn' watch as long as its under warranty you should not have any issues? A couple of marks on the clasp / polished case can be fixed at next service? Seems like you are keen not lose money - there is a reason the SD43 is more available. . .
    Would be hard to give a going rate on a 16660 like that one.
    Lovely tritium patina with a great case.

For the OP it would be Sub every day of the week over the one eyed SD.
    Last edited by Hood; 16th January 2023 at 19:45. Reason: wrong reference

Master

In my personal opinion but then I am a huge Rolex admirer, this SD triple6 is one of the best Rolex watches I’ve seen here on TZ the patina is just outstanding. It is though very closely followed or even equalled by LTF’s white gold Daytona, for me both are perfection.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Browners View Post
    In my personal opinion but then I am a huge Rolex admirer, this SD triple6 is one of the best Rolex watches I’ve seen here on TZ the patina is just outstanding. It is though very closely followed or even equalled by LTF’s white gold Daytona, for me both are perfection.

Not sure the sadly departed Bobdog’s Daytona was ever bested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is lovely, I am not surprised you want it back!

I cannot think of a better looking sports Rolex.

That is a great shot of a lovely example.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post

Not sure the sadly departed Bobdog’s Daytona was ever bested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Now that’s a completely different level, I could afford both the watches that I previously mentioned. Whereas Bobdogs would mean me having to sell my house !!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    I cannot think of a better looking sports Rolex.

That is a great shot of a lovely example.
    Ta. In its element (W Scotland Isle).

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Interesting thread. Have had an SD43 and coincidentally traded it for a 124060 ND sub. Two very different watches for me. At 6.75” wrist the SD43 was fine for size but oh the weight. Always there, always reminding you that you have it on. Sometimes you want it to just fade into the background but like a needy family pet, it never leaves you alone.

Then there’s the bling factor. It’s not subtle.

The ND sub though, beautifully clean, straight forward, class. Tells you the time, no drama, no fuss, thank you very much.

Personally, I always wanted the cyclops look which I prefer. The date sub is almost my end-game and the ND sub is due for trade next week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Browners View Post
    Now that’s a completely different level, I could afford both the watches that I previously mentioned. Whereas Bobdogs would mean me having to sell my house !!!!
    Lol
    He offered it to me but likewise it would have meant selling a lot of others and it would be too expensive to wear with any comfort.

Master
    This is my personal opinion: I have had the SD43 soon after it was released (with the MK1 dial ha ha) that was a few years ago. It got moved on for the reason my watches get moved on - I wanted to try something else and I wasn't wearing the SD43 so much. I have a 6 3/4" flat wrist (5' 10" and 160pounds if you really must know).

The SD43 wore fine as I go on lug-lug size not diameter and anything under 50mm is fine for me. With a flat wrist I found it wore ok - if you have a round wrist (more flesh I guess) you may find it slips around bit but it does have the easy-link clasp for a good fit. Anyway it's sold now

I also have a Submariner ND 41mm which is still in my little collection. I think this 124060 iteration bought it back to classic proportions shaving off a millimetre here at the shoulders and adding back one there at the bracelet balanced it out after the more boxy 114060. It is classic dive watch.

Here is the 41mm compared to my Hulk and YM40

This was the 114060 by comparison (yes I had one of those too!)

Sadly the SD43 has become just another jewellery watch - now available in bi-metal - but this is probably inevitable.

One Rolex I wish I still had was the SD 16660 sold on this very forum - if anyone has it please PM and I will give the going rate. It had the silver surrounds on the dial but it was such a beauty and with provenance of the sale listing in a famous auction house with reciept, here it is:

Here is a left field suggestion - what about a YM - can be bought below list with some hunting and is a rather elegant alternative

Good luck with the hunt.
    appreciate your considered thoughts as always Martyn, I had a blue dialled yacht master at one point and thought it would be the ‘one’ 😂 but sadly it wasn’t , your variant looks lovely but I think it’ll be one of the two I mentioned this time around, leaning towards the sd!

Master
    Very personal. I guess if you need a date or not may make a difference?
    Big fan of the clean look of the ND, but found myself wanting a date in daily wear; I have owned the 11 series and 12 series, but neither stayed in the end.
    The SD43 was one of my most worn watches, I am a a big fan so in your shoes I would go for that. Still on my list should they one day update it to include AR.
    The weight and size is an intial shock to the system, but get it adjusted correctly and wear it daily, you soon will not notice and the proportions are perfect, better than the Subs IMO.

Master
    Intriguing question - this has to be something only you can judge?

For me it comes down to how the watch overall looks / sits on the wrist, but there's also cost / future value, public perception / wearability in public all of which are very personal judgements.

For me personally the Sub is an absolute classic, and the design of the most recent is an especially good evolution. But for others I'm sure the SD43 will be more special, sit better, whatever.

Has to be whichever feels the most special to you?

No date sub is an incredible watch.
    That would be my choice.

Master
    Maybe an SD4K fits the bill for both perfectly ?