closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC-3000th Post

SOTC-3000th Post

I thought as this is my 3000th post I might do a SOTC update with the ins and outs since my last 2000th post SOTC in Sept 2020

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?480828

Usual apologies for length

So the collection is split into core, diversification sports, dressy-ish, Seiko Divers and the rest

Core

Still here are the 16610 Submariner, 16570 Explorer II and the 1861 Speedy
    There have been two additions:

Rolex 14270 (swiss only)

This was an impulse purchase in Sept 2021 as I got home late from work and saw this in an email from Neil@Chronomaster. Relatively complete and not a terrible price. I prefer Luminova ( the horror!), Ive always liked the idea of the Swiss only dials produced for 2 years at the end of the 90s, and thought it might be a place to park the money I had earmarked for a BLRO (that I will probably never get). Of course I liked it so much I decided to have it serviced by RSC, a cool 1000 for the older Calibre 3000 being priced as a classic movement , so not such a smart move financially. I love its simplicity. Feels like a permanent collection member.

Rolex 14060M 4 liner

I never expected to do this, really. I went to a GTG in Preston, and there were 3 generations of ND Subs, 5513, 14060 and 124060. I loved the 14060 and deeply regretted not buying one when I could. Then one came up for sale on SC that was just perfect and RSC serviced, I thought it was a now or never moment, they will only get harder to buy in the correct condition as time passes.

Diversification Sports Watch

Still here and never leaving
    The BR03-92 is still here.

I love it: iconic, original, square, ceramic. Always makes me smile when I wear it, although it was pretty unloved at the Preston GTG

In
    Sinn 144

For years I had no interest in this with its motorsport design and tachymetre, I was all about the pilot orientated 103 / 356. Then I started to appreciate designs from the 70s in the shape of Speedmaster Marks, the Orfina PD and then this. The playful splash of red on the hands makes it an interesting alternative to classic monochromatic watches such as the Speedy. Is it an unoriginal PD copy? I like to think this was a 70s Swiss watch industry parts watch rather than a PD original, and it has been in Sinns catalogue a long time, probably their oldest model.

Gone
    Breitling Aerospace Night Mission

Lovely watch, looks great, very functional, always enjoyed wearing it. Sacrificed for an automatic mechanical chronograph

In and out
    Damasko DC56

Wanted a Valjoux 7750, liked the Pilot style, and appreciated the contemporary look of this over the Sinn alternatives. I sold it after about a year as I thought the dial and hand quality were a bit basic, heavy subdial printing, no subdial depth, and slightly uneven lume.

Sinn 103
    A holding piece while waiting for my 144. Unexpectedly lovely in the flesh, and better to me than the Damasko, not slab-sided and more dial and hand finesse. There was nothing that I was dissatisfied with, although I didnt need two Sinn 7750s. The Speedy should cover the classic chronograph with acrylic crystal.

In and pending departure
    Sinn U1
    The SW200 dive watch isnt an exciting class, but the U1 has highly original styling and is metallurgically interesting. Currently listed on SC as I am in search of a simpler WIS life. I tend to wear lesser divers instead, in the shape of a CWC and Seiko 7548.

Dressy-ish

Still here
    IWC Cal 89.

I wore it to my wedding, so I can't ever sell it, or if I did Mrs H would have my danglies.

In

Nomos Tangente 139

This is 35mm, Alpha powered with a sapphire back. Essentially a free watch from a Kurono Toki flip. I should sell it as I now have the Dornbluth, but it's a lovely thing, and I rate both Nomos as a watchmaker and German watchmaking. Its nice to have something from Glashutte.

Dornbluth 99.1M

As seen on my recent incoming after 14 month wait. Customised for me and a watch for life

Out
    B&R 123 Geneva

An absolutely brilliant watch, but sacrificed as Dornbluth deposit

In and Out
    Kurono Toki

I was very happy to be allocated one as I love Japan, got engaged there, and intended it to be a keeper. When it arrived it felt like a 500 watch masquerading as a 1500 one. Despite warnings from Hajime Asaoka not to flip Kurono, I did exactly that, the only watch I have ever flipped, or am likely to. Lots of ones appeared on Chrono24 at 3x rrp but didnt sell. Mine was the cheapest and sold quickly, the money paid for the Nomos

Seiko Divers

Still here
    Both the Gen 1 Monsters (SKX779/781), SKX007J and first 7548. The SKXs were gateway drugs for me, and although they are no longer in active rotation, they are part of my history and I would never sell them.

In
    Another 7548
    Now removed from crusty original GL831 strap!

These are brilliant watches, and this one has a better bezel insert than the one I already had. Pretty much my daily wearer alongside the CWC diver.

Seiko SKX009J

Bought for completeness to pair with the 007. I think I've worn it once. I think I spent more time wrestling with the shoulderless bars to get the strap off than Ive worn it. Use the Swiss Army knife small blade. Collecting is insane isnt it?

Seiko 6306

A delightful watch from1977, but then I fell out of love with it when a valued TZ-er told me the insert was a Yobokies. Fortunately he took pity on me and put a nice Seiko one on for a bargain price. Cheers Dave :)

Out
    SBBN007 Tuna

This was a really great example of the classic Tuna, and IMHO the best of the Tunas, but I like my more conventionally styled 7548(s) more

SKX007K
    I dropped it (while drunk), dinged it, but still sold it on eBay for more than I bought it for. Ive still got the J version

Unimatic U1-FM

Interesting looking, nice bezel action, but poor time-keeping, weak lume and a wobbly crown. Overpriced for what it is. Sold it for almost what I bought it for and put the money into a used U1

The rest

Still here
    A square G-Shock
    In
    A Zissou Amfibia was a 2020 Xmas gift from my best mate, so I cant sell it. Hes a Life Aquatic fan.

CWC G10(issued)

Lovely example, nothing more to say

CWC RN300

2022 watch and a recent addition but I love it. Always regarded them as too expensive for a quartz with mineral glass, but there is just something about it. It is a lesser watch than the U1, but it's the main reason Im looking to move that on

Casio

GA-B2100C-9AER

It's my holiday watch. I was on a beach in Nice with my Explorer on , and I was paranoid about abrasion from sand and rock, or theft while I went in the sea with the watch hidden in a sock. Yellow holiday watch needed

In and out
    Citizen NY0040

My holiday watch, replaced by the yellow G-shock

Out
    Casio Rangemen
    Cool but a bit bulky

The future
    Im very content with what I have, and close to an end-point. New Year's watch resolution is to wear the core stuff more often, which would be helped if I had less other watches to distract me. I am waiting for a bright blue DateJust that may come in 23, and will take that if offered. To be honest I preferred it in the flesh to the BLRO that I expressed an interest in 3 years ago, but if that is ever offered Ill take it too.

I am on a list for a Tudor FXD, although Im quite conflicted about it. If I get that call I will evaluate it, although right now I think Im happy with my CWC / 7548 duo

Ive given up on the idea of a truly Haute Horology piece, as I just couldnt wear something so expensive without overwhelming anxiety about damaging it. If it wouldnt be worn, there is no point owning it. I like German watchmaking and do admire the Kudoke 1 a great deal, but I think that at 8K, I may stick to admiring it.

What am I currently wearing a lot?
    The quartz watches, the two CWC and Seiko 7548s I enjoy in rotation as an easy grab and go daily.

The 3 Sinns have had a good run, but part of my reduction strategy (currently two, hopefully to one) is in the knowledge that they were monopolising my wearing time to the exclusion of the Rolex watches.

The B&R is a going out watch, but always makes me smile whenever I wear it.

Im making a conscious decision to wear the nice stuff, so the Rolex and the new Dornbluth much more.

If you have gone the distance with this post, thanks you.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by helidoc; 14th January 2023 at 13:16.

Master
    Thats a lovely laid out and well presented post Dave, I used to have a more varied taste in watches some 10yrs ago but dive watches were my real love and now mine are all that excellent a couple of Chronos.

Lovely collection, Dave. Although, I dont recognise the Damasko comments, sounds like you must have had a wrongun.

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Lovely collection, Dave. Although, I dont recognise the Damasko comments, sounds like you must have had a wrongun.
    The lume was a bit uneven on the hands, but to be fair I think thats true of all fully lumed hands, certainly at that price segment.

The dial printing wasnt bad, I just wished the hour and minute subdial markers were thinner, and I do like a recessed subdial. Its odd the things that turn you off.

D

Nice write-up, always interests me to hear the underlying philosophy behind different watch collections.

Do understand the Damasko comments - lumed paint is lumpy stuff and is often uneven, and I can see it's not going to appeal to everyone. FWIW, for my own tastes it's congruous with the whole 'tool-watch' concept and doesn't bother me at-all. Do agree that the dials would be improved with more depth - recessed subdials and an angled rehaut would definitely improve the look.

Very nice collection with a particular nod to the Swiss only Explorer. Fantastic.

Craftsman
    No need to thank me for going the distance with your post, it was a pleasure to read and look at your watches.

Your subs, Explorer and Speedmaster look good. The 6306 is lovely.

How do you find the size of the Explorer on the wrist, and have you tried it on straps?

I like how you've systematically updated this over time. Just had a skim back through your 4 SOTC posts and it's nice to see how you're collection has evolved.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    No need to thank me for going the distance with your post, it was a pleasure to read and look at your watches.

Your subs, Explorer and Speedmaster look good. The 6306 is lovely.

How do you find the size of the Explorer on the wrist, and have you tried it on straps?
    My wrists arent big, 6.75 inches, but the Explorer wears perfectly. I think the dial size is the same as the Submariner ND

I havent tried straps, the Rolexes are Oyster only. I once took the bracelet off my 16570 in an attempt to try a Zulu, although it was too thick to pass between the spring-bar and the case. That was as close as I got!

D

Cracking set of watches there Dave. Great to see you enjoying the BR03 and not just the bien pensant TZ stuff 👍

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Cracking set of watches there Dave. Great to see you enjoying the BR03 and not just the bien pensant TZ stuff 👍
    Thanks Justin

3 years together and never leaving. I like Rolex obviously, but slightly ubiquitous in some circles and a little boring. The. BR03 is brilliant. I love B&R as you know, but trying to restore balance after the size getting a little out of hand

Cheers

D

Craftsman
    Great post and great collection.. considering a B&R at present, so nice to see it in such nice company, and a keeper..

I have a few watches that are 'worth' more - but a Dornbluth is probably the one that would make me 'strive for better'.

A great selection you have there, Dave.................

(I'd be wearing the Dornbluth at every opportunity)

Great looking collection.
    I wouldn't know which one to wear.
    Though the Seiko Divers would be close to the top.

Craftsman
    Lovely collection - the Dornblth is gorgeous, but its also nice to see a lot of much more modest watches and robust pieces in a collection and being worn.

When it comes to wrist time, youve mentioned the CWC and a Seiko that are currently the main couple. I count ~20 pieces: do you try to work through all of them, or is this limited mostly to the core? Are some more for the collectibility rather than an expectation theyll see the wrist?

Im at ~10, a few are occasional pieces, but even with a few tool-y pieces that get worn regularly there seem to be 1 or 2 that are a little unloved.

Master
    The Dornbluth is the stand out piece for me. I remember your post on the customisation and order process.
    Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 14th January 2023 at 21:25.

Quote Originally Posted by threescoops View Post
    Lovely collection - the Dornblth is gorgeous, but its also nice to see a lot of much more modest watches and robust pieces in a collection and being worn.

When it comes to wrist time, youve mentioned the CWC and a Seiko that are currently the main couple. I count ~20 pieces: do you try to work through all of them, or is this limited mostly to the core? Are some more for the collectibility rather than an expectation theyll see the wrist?

Im at ~10, a few are occasional pieces, but even with a few tool-y pieces that get worn regularly there seem to be 1 or 2 that are a little unloved.
    Good question

The 4 SKX are not in rotation, but they are part of my past. The IWC isnt in rotation either, but I cant sell it. Excluding the holiday G-Shock its 13 in rotation

For my day job, as an NHS doc, I have to be bare below elbows unless Im not seeing patients. I tend to wear something I can leave in a drawer, so the CWCs, 7548s, 6306, 144. This means they get enough wrist time

The BR03 tends to be casual going out or holiday. When I went on a cruise in the summer, I took that and a Submariner ( and a G-Shock).

The Rolex havent been worn enough, which is why Im reducing the mid-price stuff to encourage me to wear them more, rather than them being confined to the box.

None have been bought for collectibility, except for the SKX009J which I have worn once, but is a partner to the 007.

Its a real challenge, getting the collection size right. There are lots of watches I appreciate, more than I could reasonably own, however the bigger the collection the greater the risk of watches being little more than safe queens.

The mad thing is, the cheaper stuff gives me exactly the same pleasure as something expensive. The G10 gives me the pleasure of the 14270, the 7548s the same as the Subs. Maybe thats healthy!

Dave

What a great varied collection you have there Dave
    Some crackers in there.

Of those, the 144 and 99.1M are my standouts, with the Omega a close runner-up.

I'm interested by your comment:

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    ... I’m making a conscious decision to wear the nice stuff, so the Rolex and the new Dornbluth much more. ...
    Since picking up an SLA023 and new bracelet, I find I'm not wearing anything else (Rolex, Patek, or others). Maybe it's still a honeymoon period but, 3 weeks in, I've lost interest in the others.

What made you feel the need to spend more time with your more expensive pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    What made you feel the need to spend more time with your more expensive pieces?
    The 14270 and 14060M are relatively recent additions but I found the Sinns in particular a distraction, I wore them a lot. Why did I choose them? They are excellent watches, but its easier to choose something that that isnt quite so valuable.

I felt the need to re-engage with the Rolex watches, but the Sinns had come under pressure themselves from the CWC (U1) and the duplication between the 144 and 103.

I think watches should be worn, not something to live in some sort of collection.

Dave

The mad thing is, the cheaper stuff gives me exactly the same pleasure as something expensive. The G10 gives me the pleasure of the 14270, the 7548s the same as the Subs. Maybe thats healthy!
    Totally get that, and it's very healthy. If you ever have to reprioritise assets due to life events it means that you can still have the same level of joy from the hobby regardless.

A lovely varied collection, really appreciate the update and insights. My personal favourites are the IWC and the 144.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Craftsman

The Rolex havent been worn enough, which is why Im reducing the mid-price stuff to encourage me to wear them more, rather than them being confined to the box.

None have been bought for collectibility, except for the SKX009J which I have worn once, but is a partner to the 007.

Its a real challenge, getting the collection size right. There are lots of watches I appreciate, more than I could reasonably own, however the bigger the collection the greater the risk of watches being little more than safe queens.

Dave
    I think its probably a good thing that any piece can tickle you, never mind the price tag. On the downside, it might make it a little harder to justify having money in more expensive pieces, but everyone needs to do their own maths on that!

Butit does feel like youre between a rock and a hard place depending how far you scale back on the middle ground to push towards the Rolexes. Sounds like youre downscaling and so the reaping will be as interesting as any additions or substitutions.

Its nice to read your posts and see your collection as it develops - thanks.

Blog Entries
    I think watches should be worn, not something to live in some sort of collection.

Dave

Dave, First it was a pleasure to read through the description of your journey. And I totally agree with your comment.

I am also wearing more of the watches I own - but if they sit in the box for more than six months I am a bit ruthless and the are expunged.

thanks for sharing.

Martyn
    Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it. HHGTTG