closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Full Set - Was I being too particular (OCD)

Craftsman

Full Set - Was I being too particular (OCD)

I'm a little OCD when it comes to buying thing.. I like original, boxed, not from display etc.
    Today, after much deliberation, and thank to a PSA, I bought a seamaster on rubber..20% of RRP, so 3840.00 from Finnies.
    I had spoken to them before pulling the trigger, and they said it was perfect etc. (was actually trying to get another 5%off, it was a no)
    However after ordering it on line they called back, saying it wasn't in the original box (would still be in an Omega box), and wouldn't come with the hang tags or plastics cover the face etc.
    It would obviously have all cards in the wallet and the 5 year guarantee..
    To me this is now not a full set... so I cancelled it... not that I was going to flip it, but if i every wanted to sell, it not a full set..

what do you think.. it would be fine.. or do you agree, not a full set ?

I think 20% off on a Seamaster isn't such a superlative deal that you'd have cut your nose off to spite your face. That deal could probably be replicated via the greys.

If you'd turned down something like a Cartier Santos or another brand where discounts are verboten I'd say yes probably that wasn't a good move but in this case your money, you worked hard for it and if you want the full set at that price you should get it as you'd likely replicate that deal elsewhere.

I don't see that values of Omega's been any different with or without hang tags or plastics covers. So for me, I'd have taken it. The stuff sits in the back of a cupboard and as mentioned adds little or no value on resale.

In my view only the incorrect box is the deal breaker and so I would have done the same in this situation.

The tags and bezel protector are not part of a full set in my mind. They are just nice to haves but add no value. The tag is just store marketing tat and the bezel protector is just shipping packaging!

Blog Entries
    Incorrect box might detract from the buying experience. Mind you the last omega I bought being the NTTD I was so glad it wasn’t in the huge wooden box that they sell others as I was about to board a plane and carrying a huge heavy box was not appreciated.

But in this instance I would be concerned that all protective stickers had been removed. That would make be feel it was a return and may have already been worn. I’d go for a reseller and get your discount off a new watch.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Enjoy the watch, the rest is clutter.

Craftsman
    Cheers all, glad it's not only me..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I don't see that values of Omega's been any different with or without hang tags or plastics covers. So for me, I'd have taken it. The stuff sits in the back of a cupboard and as mentioned adds little or no value on resale.
    'The stuff sits in the back of a cupboard and as mentioned ADDS LITTLE OR NO VALUE on resale'

Really. Every watch I have sold on SC has the buyers main priority of full box & papers, the watch being secondary.
    Box & papers, or 'full set' are very important to watch collectors IMHO.

I would rather take a watch at a healthy discount and not worry about the ancillary rubbish like box and papers. I can’t wear the box or papers. They just take up space. I actually find myself drawn to brands that have gotten rid of the fluff that comes with a watch and that have paired it back to simple small box and minimum papers / card. The rest is just used to justify the increased prices IMO.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 12th January 2023 at 07:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    'The stuff sits in the back of a cupboard and as mentioned ADDS LITTLE OR NO VALUE on resale'

Really. Every watch I have sold on SC has the buyers main priority of full box & papers, the watch being secondary.
    Rolex collectors want it all, and the watch in question did come with box and papers, just not a hang tag and plastic face cover. I really don't think the second hand price of a Seamaster makes difference with or without those two items, the condition of the watch would have a much greater impact on value.

Master
    My opinion:

No plastic wrap-not really bothered even at retail
    No hangtags-for a discount (on a watch with limited discounts) not really bothered
    Non original box-significant discount probably OK. If similar to what could be obtained or negotiated elsewhere, I would probably pass

I think it should have been advertised as ex-display then it wouldn't be an issue.

Craftsman
    It’s your watch and if it makes a difference to you, then you did the right thing.

My personal preference is the full set, it wouldn’t necessarily stop me from buying a certain Watch but it be taken in to consideration. Having dealt with a number of watch dealers over the years (buying and selling), they quite often have little concern over a full set, A box and papers is good enough.

Of the dealers as I’ve dealt with, they play with the hand they’ve got. If they have a full set, they emphasised that fact, if they don’t, the watch is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post

I, like others, think it really depends on the watch.

Seamasters aren't exactly unusual or hard to come by and most people don't put much of a premium on such things as hang tags used for such a watch.

It would depend on the watch for me, the important things were there, but I do wonder, if as someone else said, this was a return or display model and the price, while good, doesn't sound remarkable.

Personally, I feel big boxes, hang tags and the likes are just clutter.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I agree, I think the OP’s crazy for for getting obsessed with such trivial details.I’m sure there was a time (pre internet) when folks didn’t think this way.

Master
    I don't think anyone should be derided for either approach. I would pay top money for a watch or any other luxury item with provenance and full documentation. Conversely I would expect to pay considerably less for a item with little or none.
    When I eventually decide to sell my safe queen the lucky buyer will get everything it came with and all subsequent history. I apply the same rules with cars, bikes or any of my other toys and I'm proud of that.

Grand Master
    Box and papers is sensible, I understand that, but having the plastic stickers is taking it to a ridiculous level!

His choice, his decision, but the OP has turned down a good deal for what mist people see as the wrong reasons.

Very interesting to see the different approaches. Personally, I like a full set. I like to know what I'm buying, to know it has been looked after, and I don't like sloppy details or missing bits and pieces, especially on a newer watch. It suggests to me that it has probably been taken care of. On an older/vintage watch I would be slightly more flexible.
    This for me has nothing to do with resale (although of course these details would help with that), and the boxes sit in a cupboard, untouched.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I don't think anyone should be derided for either approach. I would pay top money for a watch or any other luxury item with provenance and full documentation. Conversely I would expect to pay considerably less for a item with little or none.
    When I eventually decide to sell my safe queen the lucky buyer will get everything it came with and all subsequent history. I apply the same rules with cars, bikes or any of my other toys and I'm proud of that.
    I agree. I think it’s a personal thing and also depends on the watch and your expected “relationship” with it. For my definite keepers, the boxes etc are indeed just gathering dust. For watches that will probably get sold or traded I keep the stuff carefully simply because it is something that others value…

Finally some of it is just nerdily cool to have - a purchase invoice from Yodobashi Camera with a JDM Seiko, for instance.

I wonder where the box etc. that came with my Datejust is? Put it all away in 1984 after I got the watch home. ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master
    Most of my watches are vintage (1950s-1970s) and don't have boxes, I have a few newer watches with boxes and papers etc but they're all stored and never see the light of day.

At least the boxes on old watches were a sensible size, the trend in recent years towards great big things is crazy. Last watch I sold was an 2009 Omega Seamaster Pro with original box etc, after packing it well in a cardboard box the resulting package was substantial to say the least.

Why do watches now come in such large boxes? I'm sure there's some psychology behind it but it cuts no ice with me.

Craftsman
    Not daft wanting a complete set correct.
    By the way. You can buy the omega large box on eBay for about £100.

I have even purchased a Rolex Datejust 41 Bezel protector for a watch I have on order, as my dealer no longer includes them.

I'd have still taken it but insisted they source the box you'd been promised.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Why do watches now come in such large boxes? I'm sure there's some psychology behind it but it cuts no ice with me.
    Especially since you normally only see the box after you've agreed to buy the watch?

OCD is a health condition. It is different from merely being fussy.

Master
    I agree with the OP, not having the correct box would have been a deal breaker for me- However you look at it not a full set, we’re all different but I like originality and 99% of my watch purchases have been ‘full sets’

Craftsman
    I think it very much depends. If I’m buying a new watch, I’d expect it to come with whatever the manufacturer delivers it with, in factory/shop fresh condition.

Depending on the situation, missing plastic wrap or protectors might cause me to check for marks or signs of rough handling or ex-display, but that stuff is all coming off and getting tossed in the box and going into storage once I’m happy.

Offer me a pristine watch that doesn’t have plastic/bezel protectors, I don’t care. Offer me 20% off, gimme gimme.

Now, I do expect box, manual/papers and tools where relevant unless I’m getting a bargain, but unless it’s a limited edition of some sort or historical interesting piece, I don’t mind, care or even know what the “correct” box is. Manufacturers do sometimes use different designs of packaging for the same model year; again to me I just don’t attach much value to it.

I will keep the packaging and if I do sell a watch, then of course I’ll include it.

When it comes to vintage watches and/or more everyday brands where all this extra gubbins isn’t relevant to the person who just wanted to tell the time, again, it’s the watch that matters.

OP: personally I think you should’ve taken the 20% happily and enjoyed the watch, but everyone has their own view.

Craftsman
    Really interesting to see the different views.. I reckon it's about 50/50... I appreciate the box and tags just get stored, but I know it would have annoyed me... Different folks, different strokes!!