closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: New releases - random chat

Blog Entries
    Damasko do better tool watches, not my cuppa.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

GS launched a new range of Hi Beats in ever brilliant steel.

Look nice but really the 38mm Aqua Terra is untouchable in this segment (IMHO)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    May I suggest Guinand? Same design fraction of the price.

I once owned a Guinand, top quality for a sensible price, I'll look them up again, didn't know they were still going after the death of Helmut Sinn.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I once owned a Guinand, top quality for a sensible price, I'll look them up again, didn't know they were still going after the death of Helmut Sinn.
    I have a series 60 on my shopping list, especially as they now have a bracelet to go with it. Just torn between that and the blue dial version.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Damasko do better tool watches, not my cuppa.
    Hear, hear! As do Sinn, Archimede, Dekla, Haldor, Circula, Traska, Dievas, Tutima, Timex, Christopher Ward, Seiko, Yema, CWC, Marathon, Luminox, Nite, Zodiac, Citizen, Smiths, Traser, Scurfa, Glycine, Oris, Squale, Casio, Bremont, Hanhart, Laco, Zeno, Victorinox, &c, &c...

Almost all are cheaper, many are a good deal tougher too!

I do quite like the look of the Tudor duo, but the co-branding sucks so hard it makes my ears pop.

The new Ocean Crawler Decompression Timer 2000ft Diver series. They do look good.

https://www.oceancrawler.com/collect...56203195360137

Last edited by j111dja; 29th July 2023 at 12:55.

I'm liking those a little too much.

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    The new Ocean Crawler Decompression Timer 2000ft Diver series. They do look good.

https://www.oceancrawler.com/collect...56203195360137

Don't know if this has been mentioned before in this thread?

MIDO Multifort TV big date. I know very little about MIDO (part of the Swatch group I believe) and, I understand that this is a sort of back catalogue recreation by MIDO, despite the obvious influences of some other much more expensive luxury sport watches out there. I really like them all, especially the brown and grey dial with orange strap. They look nicely executed to me.

Master
    I quite like the Mido Multifort Big Date, but when you look at closeups of the dial, the 5 minute markers do not line up with the corresponding marker on the chapter ring..
    Looking at these images though I can't really see that - making me think Mido have realised all their previous renderings have shown a flaw that may or may not be there in real life..
    Would have to see one in person to be sure..

see this link to see what I mean;
    https://www.midowatches.com/uk/multi...261104100.html
    Last edited by bry nylon; 8th August 2023 at 07:50. Reason: added link..

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    I quite like the Mido Multifort Big Date, but when you look at closeups of the dial, the 5 minute markers do not line up with the corresponding marker on the chapter ring..
    Looking at these images though I can't really see that - making me think Mido have realised all their previous renderings have shown a flaw that may or may not be there in real life..
    Would have to see one in person to be sure..

see this link to see what I mean;
    https://www.midowatches.com/uk/multi...261104100.html
    I see what you mean, I knew there would be a flaw somewhere in the design that I hadn’t seen, it appealed so much I thought it must be too good to be true.

I'm really liking that Mido too. I wonder if that misalignment is just the angle of the photo and the crystal making it look out. All the head on shots look aligned to me.

Sent from my motorola edge 40 pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I'm really liking that Mido too. I wonder if that misalignment is just the angle of the photo and the crystal making it look out. All the head on shots look aligned to me.

Sent from my motorola edge 40 pro using Tapatalk
    Yeah think you may be right, either that or the rendering is incorrect as suggested by the other poster. Looking at photos of actual watches for sale on Chrono24, they all seem to be aligned.

Master
    hope you're correct TC :)

On the Mido website, the head on shot of the blue dial shows the misalignment - yet the shots of the green dial seem to be ok..
    So I would have to see this in person - or hear from other people who have managed to see one first hand..
    but yeah - I really like it and would wear one..

and I see they have only three dealers for the UK; Heathrow T5, Bicester Shopping place and Ellesmere Port of all places...

Craftsman
    The green Mido is nice. I also like the jumping action of the date. Not a bad price either.

King Seiko SJE095. Same 6L35 movement as in the SJE093 and same price point

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Seiko are só lost with the KS sub brand. They essentially thought:

Let’s recreate the 44KS.
    Wicked. Done! What’s next?
    Let’s recreate the 44KS. Again.
    Ok. Done. What’s next?
    Let’s recreate the 44KS?
    Ok. If you’re sure. What next? Please don’t say the same thing.
    Let’s recreate the 44KS. But put some BS Grand Seiko dial nonsense on it, that seems to work for our other sub brand.

Is that dial a piece anaglypta wallpaper. Hopefully you can repaint it with emulsion every few years..

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Seiko are só lost with the KS sub brand. They essentially thought:

Let’s recreate the 44KS.
    Wicked. Done! What’s next?
    Let’s recreate the 44KS. Again.
    Ok. Done. What’s next?
    Let’s recreate the 44KS?
    Ok. If you’re sure. What next? Please don’t say the same thing.
    Let’s recreate the 44KS. But put some BS Grand Seiko dial nonsense on it, that seems to work for our other sub brand.
    Although I don't dislike the watch, I have to wholeheartedly agree with the above. Seiko seem s***-scared of innovation and exploration nowadays, it's all just theme-and-variation on what's come before and upwards-spiralling prices. They seem a truly rudderless company - a rich heritage, tremendous resources, but so small-c-conservative...

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Although I don't dislike the watch, I have to wholeheartedly agree with the above. Seiko seem s***-scared of innovation and exploration nowadays, it's all just theme-and-variation on what's come before and upwards-spiralling prices. They seem a truly rudderless company - a rich heritage, tremendous resources, but so small-c-conservative...
    Yes, I should have said. I do like the reissues. A lot. There’s even been a lot of handwringing from me about buying one (if only they were priced more competitively!).

What they ought to do is

1. Launch the brand with a new movement which can be (and is) regulated to chronometer specs
    2. State that this is a recognition of the rich heritage of King Seiko in chronometry competitions and recognise that this separates it from the rest of Seiko
    3. Consider other models from the back catalogue for reissue
    4. Evolve the designs forward, as they do with GS, rather than looking backwards
    5. Keep the prices as they are. As at least they would be justifiable, and they do sit neatly between GS and Presage lines.

I expect Seiko have the money and resources to do the above!

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    ... What they ought to do is ...
    Excellent. Let's hope they read this forum!

Master

The SJE093 uses a different movement - 6L37 as opposed to the 6L35 in this King Seiko..

New Longines Hydroconquest GMT.

Looks as though the Hydroconquest is getting a make over in the not so distant future. GMT case drastically different from the diver, I cannot see them keeping both different.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/hands-o...est-gmt-watch/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post

Looks as though the Hydroconquest is getting a make over in the not so distant future. GMT case drastically different from the diver, I cannot see them keeping both different.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/hands-o...est-gmt-watch/
    Good looking watch that.

Post deleted - wrong thread
    Last edited by McBeardy; 10th August 2023 at 17:00. Reason: Wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Are Longines trying to be Seiko? Not because they look much alike, but more because they seem to insist on adding discordant elements to otherwise good designs and thus shoot themselves in the foot.

Case - much too Rolex-y for my liking, but points for going solid steel caseback and thus keeping overall thickness down.

Bezel - insert looks lifted unchanged from a cancelled Omega, the polishing of the steel is odd too - somehow looks like a refinishing job.

Dial - love the colour scheme, always loved the Hydroconquest hand-set, and more points for nearly matching the date disc to the dial, but the clash of the low-effort angular date aperture with the round-cornered oblong indices and then two random circular cardinals? HORRID!!! YUK!!

Size - 41mm is a good compromise for a diver - the wide bezels can yield tiny dials if you go much smaller.

Overall - it's a bit of an aimless, characterless mess - hints of parts-bin special. Its predecessors may have divided opinion, but at least they had some kind of a consistent and distinctive design language: meh/10

Don’t let it redirect you to the Uk site:

https://www.casio.com/intl/watches/e....ECB-2200P-1A/

Interesting case for a cheap beater.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Don’t let it redirect you to the Uk site:

https://www.casio.com/intl/watches/e....ECB-2200P-1A/

Interesting case for a cheap beater.
    Looks good from the front, but the side profile spoils it for me.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrennie44 View Post
    Agreed! I preordered one of these a couple of days ago.
    It’s practically identical to the 1968 original Seiko 5. I particularly like the use of the old Seiko 5 logo, the shaped date window, black day date discs and the blue “sports”.
    One of the coolest re-issues Seiko have done imo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I received mine and think it is a great watch and well made. I do like the bracelet but found it quite rigid, so popped it onto a mesh. What were your thoughts ?

Richy

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    I received mine and think it is a great watch and well made. I do like the bracelet but found it quite rigid, so popped it onto a mesh. What were your thoughts ?

Richy
    Hi Richy,

I loved the pictures before release, and if I’m honest, I was expecting it not to live up to expectations. Very happy to say, that it certainly did live up for me.

I love the faithful styling and details about this reissue, everything from the use of the original Seiko 5 logo, the blue Sports text and the exact same dial and bezel insert layout. Even the small details such as the SAT day wheel colour has been reproduced in white (instead of the modern blue), as per the original.

The scallop date window frame, and I love the black day and date discs. All topped off with the correct red lollipop second hand. Even the packaging is a tribute to the original Seiko 5 packaging from the 60’s, and a surprisingly decent upgrade on the usual white Seiko box!

I’ve been wearing mine a lot since I got it. I know what you mean about the bracelet, it is one of those semi rigid type bracelets, and I did fear it would be a major hair puller, but it is really comfortable on wrist all day for me. Of course not a major problem to swap out for something else.

All in all I’m really delighted with mine. One of the best reissue releases that Seiko have done.
    I can only hope for more along these lines in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we see a pic of the mesh?

The bracelet doesn't sit nice on my wrist

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post

Richy

https://timex.co.uk/products/giorgio...38mm-tw2w12700

I guess the S1 was successful enough they feel they can push the price on the next one.

https://timex.co.uk/products/giorgio...38mm-tw2w12700I guess the S1 was successful enough they feel they can push the price on the next one.
    The design language has a hint of MING about it.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Wonder what the Christopher Ward release on the 24th is?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    Wonder what the Christopher Ward release on the 24th is?
    Looks like a smaller version of the integrated bracelet Twelve model. 35 or 36mm?

Master

New releases - random chat

I guess the S1 was successful enough they feel they can push the price on the next one.
    Rather lovely, with a touch of ‘How much?!’ I wonder if Timex will be going the way of Seiko. There’s a lot of appeal to the brand, though it’s a very hard ladder to climb once you’re known as cheap and cheerful.

https://oracleoftime.com/timex-giorg...0d93-130649341

I really liked the original, this one too. Best of luck to them. People rush to chuck 10 or even 100 times that amount at far more mundane designs.

... the whole thing looks a bit rough ...
    That will kill it stone dead if it proves to be the norm rather than a prototype. It would surprise me too - I've owned a couple of Nautica-branded watches made by Timex, and the finish was faultless, and those sold at a much lower price.

Master
    Dont see why not and you can get 15% off by signing up to timex. So many brands are now charging north of a grand just because they have a Swiss movement in their watch (Well a Swiss company thats owned by Citizen in the case of some of them)
    True, it’s by no means expensive compared to other brands with similar specs. It’s just always more tempting to buy the cheapest watch of an expensive brand, than the most expensive watch of a cheaper brand. A good release though, and there’s something appealing about the brand. It may be nostalgia, my first school watch was a Timex. The price point also makes them a bit cheeky and unpretentious, though this is moving towards ‘Grand Timex’ territory.

Quote Originally Posted by SplitSecond View Post
    Looks like a smaller version of the integrated bracelet Twelve model. 35 or 36mm?
    Correct, 36mm in green looks fantastic.

Dont see why not and you can get 15% off by signing up to timex. So many brands are now charging north of a grand just because they have a Swiss movement in their watch (Well a Swiss company thats owned by Citizen in the case of some of them) I do agree with a post below that it does have a lot of similarities to Ming though the case reminds me of a Locman watch case. Would be interested to see some real time photos of it.
    15% off to bring it down to £637.50 would have sealed the deal for me. Unfortunately the sign-up code isn't usuable against this watch.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 24th August 2023 at 15:23.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Seiko's latest 62mas reinterpretation. Yes, another one. The SBDC191 Shohei Ohtani.

https://www.gnomonwatches.com/produc...cs-ref-sbdc191

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...tani-the-sbdc1
    Last edited by j111dja; 25th August 2023 at 09:08.

Master
    ^^ It’s not a new model though, just a different model of that series.
    I quite like the look of it, but I have the 55th Anniversary that I haven’t worn in a while, so seems a little pointless to add another! My SLA 55th seems to have relegated it!

Master
    Something possibly not for everyone on here

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    ^^ It’s not a new model though, just a different model of that series.
    Of course.

Master
    Limited edition of 25 and just a fraction under £3k

Master
    Citizen clearly want a bit of the attention GS get, but are going about it in a unique way. A perfectly sized (38.2mm) +/-5 sec per year solar powered perpetual calendar, in titanium with a hard to scratch yellow gold duratect coating, along with their own take on an ‘interesting’ Japanese dial. It won’t be for everyone, particularly as a £3k limited edition, but those are very intriguing specs - arguably a super accurate, unscratchable perpetual calendar that never needs a battery change or service would be the ultimate modern watch, and this is getting close. Closer than GS have in fact, from a technical standpoint at least, for all their emphasis on craftsmanship and beautiful dials.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/new-rel...edition-watch/
    Last edited by Itsguy; 27th August 2023 at 22:36.

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    Something possibly not for everyone on here

These guys customise dials and aren't affiliated with the manufacture. I had a Gshock that they did a couple of years ago and that was fine for the money but I wouldn't spend Oris cash on one of these particularly as there is no Oris Warranty provided only the IFL watches warranty

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Citizen clearly want a bit of the attention GS get, but are going about it in a unique way. A perfectly sized (38.2mm) +/-5 sec per year solar powered perpetual calendar, in titanium with a hard to scratch yellow gold duratect coating, along with their own take on an ‘interesting’ Japanese dial. It won’t be for everyone, particularly as a £3k limited edition, but those are very intriguing specs - arguably a super accurate, unscratchable perpetual calendar that never needs a battery change or service would be the ultimate modern watch, and this is getting close. Closer than GS have in fact, from a technical standpoint at least, for all their emphasis on craftsmanship and beautiful dials.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/new-rel...edition-watch/
    Like that a lot - much more to my taste than GS, but I'd imagine being in a tiny minority.