closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Question for the forum golfers - anyone played Valderrama?

Question for the forum golfers - anyone played Valderrama?

Got my 60th coming up this year and we’ve booked a short break to Marbella.

I’ve been thinking of playing Valderrama but it’s not cheap. Has anyone played there that can provide any feedback?

Thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post

I’ve been thinking of playing Valderrama but it’s not cheap. Has anyone played there that can provide any feedback?

Thanks
    Not Valderrama no.
    Played San Roque which I didn't rate too highly and Finca Cortesin which is superb.
    Sotogrande supposed to be good there but haven't played it.

Master
    I played Valderama in Sept 2021, beautiful conditions on a fabulous manicured course. We had a good range of handicappers ranging from 5-21, I would definitely say that if you are a single h/c then it’s a fantastic round of golf. Greens are high up, so the majority of holes the bottom of the pin isn’t visible which can make yardage very difficult. All greens are well protected with sand traps and there are fairway bunkers that certainly give problems reaching the green, definitely more of splash it out and get back in play ASAP. The faces of the f/w bunkers are higher than the average UK version and 18+ h/c could struggle with these, but as with most courses if you use your shots wisely you can have a very enjoyable game. But some of the holes draw you in to maybe taking on a shot that your capabilities aren’t quite up to and you will find yourself in a lot of trouble. So IMO single h/c you’ll enjoy the challenge. 10-18 h/c play sensible and you can score. 19+ h/c use your shots, keep it in play on the fairway and you’ll not get beaten up. Value for money, it’s definitely worth a visit just to experience the quality of a top quality European course but play within your limits. Facilities are top draw as you would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Browners View Post
    I played Valderama in Sept 2021, beautiful conditions on a fabulous manicured course. We had a good range of handicappers ranging from 5-21, I would definitely say that if you are a single h/c then it’s a fantastic round of golf. Greens are high up, so the majority of holes the bottom of the pin isn’t visible which can make yardage very difficult. All greens are well protected with sand traps and there are fairway bunkers that certainly give problems reaching the green, definitely more of splash it out and get back in play ASAP. The faces of the f/w bunkers are higher than the average UK version and 18+ h/c could struggle with these, but as with most courses if you use your shots wisely you can have a very enjoyable game. But some of the holes draw you in to maybe taking on a shot that your capabilities aren’t quite up to and you will find yourself in a lot of trouble. So IMO single h/c you’ll enjoy the challenge. 10-18 h/c play sensible and you can score. 19+ h/c use your shots, keep it in play on the fairway and you’ll not get beaten up. Value for money, it’s definitely worth a visit just to experience the quality of a top quality European course but play within your limits. Facilities are top draw as you would expect.
    Cheers, play off six. It’s €500 which is way more than I would normally pay for a round of golf but being so close and my wife offering to pay for it for my birthday I’m thinking why not.

Master
    If you play off 6 you will definitely be able to have a decent game and really enjoy the test of golf. As with all Ryder cup venues they have an aura about them and it’s a challenge to play the same course as the very best players in the world have. Is it worth the green fee? What top course is? But your paying for the history and venue just as much as the course. Treat yourself to a game, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks
    No, I've played a few in Marbella, Torrequebrada probably the best. Slope on that was 139!! What will Valderrama be? Chaparral is the toughest I've played in Spain. Enjoy your trip what a treat!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    No, I've played a few in Marbella, Torrequebrada probably the best. Slope on that was 139!! What will Valderrama be? Chaparral is the toughest I've played in Spain. Enjoy your trip what a treat!
    139-Luxury!
    My home course is 141.

Just read there Carnoustie is 145 off the yellows lol.
    Valderrama is 147 -think that's black tees
    Last edited by Hood; 11th January 2023 at 14:41.

Cheers, play off six. It’s €500 which is way more than I would normally pay for a round of golf but being so close and my wife offering to pay for it for my birthday I’m thinking why not.
    I played it 10 years ago. I'm not a good golfer but loved the experience. Definitely one for the golfers-with your handicap it will be a fantastic challenge and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    I played it 10 years ago. I'm not a good golfer but loved the experience. Definitely one for the golfers-with your handicap it will be a fantastic challenge and day out.
    I booked it last night so really looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    139-Luxury!
    My home course is 141.

Thats brutal! I played Celtic Manor a couple of years ago, but could not break a hundred. My course is 129 I can shoot comfortably in the 80's which allows me to compete in my mid 60's. Let us know how it goes OP and good luck!

139-Luxury!
    My home course is 141.

Carnoustie is head and shoulders the hardest course I’ve ever played.

Something tells me Valderrama won’t let visitors near the back tees. The only one drawback is that my wife, who’s very kindly treating me for my birthday, can’t come round on a buggy with me as they don’t allow non playing guests on the course.

Master
    Are you being paired up as part of a 4ball? That to me is the only downside when playing the top courses.They always want 4 paying guests for each tee time, and if your a single h/c you could end up playing with a 28 h/c who has all the gear and no idea. It happened to us this year at La Cala resort, we were a 3ball and we had to accommodate a Swedish 24 h/c and it totally spoilt the experience as we were constantly waiting for him to play his shot. And we had paid €150 + buggy each for the round.

Are you being paired up as part of a 4ball? That to me is the only downside when playing the top courses.They always want 4 paying guests for each tee time, and if your a single h/c you could end up playing with a 28 h/c who has all the gear and no idea. It happened to us this year at La Cala resort, we were a 3ball and we had to accommodate a Swedish 24 h/c and it totally spoilt the experience as we were constantly waiting for him to play his shot. And we had paid €150 + buggy each for the round.
    I’ve had an email from reservations re my handicap etc and I asked to be joined up. With my wife being a non golfer I’m used to it and quite enjoy the variety. At Abu Dhabi GC last year I was paired up, without prior notice, with three South Korean ladies with high teen handicaps. They were an absolute joy. Only bad experience I had being paired up was at Sawgrass when they put me with three pensioners. One of them just didn’t want to know and they went off on their own with one of them apologising profusely for his friend.

Master
    Urgh that’s not good. I’ve always found La Cala a tough track (playing off 5) so I imagine a 28 hc wouldn’t have a great deal of fun. He probably felt worse about it than you though!

My brother told me once he rocked up to a course in Nevada with a mate and were paired with two Americans with all the gear and very big mouths. He had some borrowed clubs and was barely allowed on as fairly scruffy. However he’s a great golfer and decided to take the two guys to the cleaners… which he did. When in Nevada and all that.

Enjoy Valda Sevvy. What an experience!

Master
    I’ve had an email from reservations re my handicap etc and I asked to be joined up. With my wife being a non golfer I’m used to it and quite enjoy the variety. At Abu Dhabi GC last year I was paired up, without prior notice, with three South Korean ladies with high teen handicaps. They were an absolute joy. Only bad experience I had being paired up was at Sawgrass when they put me with three pensioners. One of them just didn’t want to know and they went off on their own with one of them apologising profusely for his friend.
    Sounds like you've played some good courses.
    Will be good to hear your thoughts when you play it.
    Best one I've played in Europe is Monte Rei in Portugal.
    If you haven't played it and get the chance then don't hesitate.

Master
    I’ve heard plenty of feedback from fellow golfers regarding Monte Rei, and the majority do say it’s one of the very best courses in Portugal and probably just edges it over Valderama.

Cool

I’ve heard plenty of feedback from fellow golfers regarding Monte Rei, and the majority do say it’s one of the very best courses in Portugal and probably just edges it over Valderama.

Monte Rei is a great course (I preferred Praia d'el Rey however) for sure but I personally would not agree that it edges Valderama........only caveat being that Monte Rei is always in perfect condition whereas Valderama has been known to be over played and it's condition suffers at certain times of the year.

Either way both are exceptional courses that will test your game well.

Enjoy your 60th Sevvy and hope you can shoot your age!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post

Enjoy your 60th Sevvy and hope you can shoot your age!!
    For 9 holes?
    It's Valderrama lol.

Master
    I'm not a big golfer so haven't played it but we holiday around there a lot, so know the area well.

My favourite hotel is right by Valderrama, stay a night at "SO" they have an amazing course too which is up in the hills above Valderrama.

As said Finca Cortesein is supposed to be amazing too. The attached hotel is insanely expensive though!

There's a lovely little 9 hole on the side of the hill near Finca called Casares Golf which is more my speed. I play it a few times a summer have a little radler on the walk round

You are quite a way from Marbella itself though if you are staying that end.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Smile

For 9 holes?
    It's Valderrama lol.
    I was being kind!

I lost 3 balls there first time and shot 84 and felt blessed 😂

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    I'm not a big golfer so haven't played it but we holiday around there a lot, so know the area well.

My favourite hotel is right by Valderrama, stay a night at "SO" they have an amazing course too which is up in the hills above Valderrama.

As said Finca Cortesein is supposed to be amazing too. The attached hotel is insanely expensive though!

There's a lovely little 9 hole on the side of the hill near Finca called Casares Golf which is more my speed. I play it a few times a summer have a little radler on the walk round

You are quite a way from Marbella itself though if you are staying that end.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk
    We’re staying at the Ikos Andalusia which gets great reviews. I believe Finca Cortesin isn’t that far from our hotel but I get a free round at Los Naranjos thrown in with the hotel. I saw that Finca is around €380 so I’ll make do with Valderrama and Los Naranjos if I get time for a 2nd round.
    I believe we’re about half hour from Marbella but the hotel provides a free shuttle into Marbella.

You will love the course it’s amazing, not easy but worth every penny! Worth getting there early, have. A walk about and definitely some time on the putting Green, quite grainy greens. San Rouque old is great and well worth playing, the new course is not so good. Finca too and Sotogrande all great courses. Used to play a lot down there with my old man! Loved it.

Master
    We’re staying at the Ikos Andalusia which gets great reviews. I believe Finca Cortesin isn’t that far from our hotel but I get a free round at Los Naranjos thrown in with the hotel. I saw that Finca is around €380 so I’ll make do with Valderrama and Los Naranjos if I get time for a 2nd round.
    I believe we’re about half hour from Marbella but the hotel provides a free shuttle into Marbella.
    I think Finca was about 130 when we played it a few years ago.
    I find it hard to get my head around what people will pay for a round of golf these days.

I think Finca was about 130 when we played it a few years ago.
    I find it hard to get my head around what people will pay for a round of golf these days.
    Last time I played Pebble Beach it was $485. And totally worth it imv.

Master
    Have heard really good things about place. My Mrs knows some people who were invited to the soft launch and said it was great. It was really expensive when I looked at it last.

You are on Estepona beach front there so it's about as central as you can get for all the good courses. Make sure you go into Estepona old town for some Tapas too. If you are into steak "Sur" is really good.

Master
    I've played a few courses abroad off a low single figure handicap but €500 would sting, even though I appreciate the experience may create a life long memory and you 'can't take it with you'. I suspect they make more profit than my local club

Well, played the course earlier today.

I don’t for one minute think that anywhere is worth this sort of money but it was a superb experience.

The club has some rules that seem archaic. My wife, who paid for the game for my birthday present wasn’t allowed to come along as a non playing visitor. You’re also not allowed to use practice facilities until 45 minutes before your tee time.

That aside, the staff were excellent, nothing was too much trouble. As for the golf course it was everything I hoped it would be. Greens had been top soiled but you wouldn’t have thought so from the speed of some of the downhill putts.

The course itself was superb, almost every hole a gem and, if anyone has the chance to play I’d thoroughly recommend it.

Master

I don’t for one minute think that anywhere is worth this sort of money but it was a superb experience.

The club has some rules that seem archaic. My wife, who paid for the game for my birthday present wasn’t allowed to come along as a non playing visitor. You’re also not allowed to use practice facilities until 45 minutes before your tee time.

That aside, the staff were excellent, nothing was too much trouble. As for the golf course it was everything I hoped it would be. Greens had been top soiled but you wouldn’t have thought so from the speed of some of the downhill putts.

The course itself was superb, almost every hole a gem and, if anyone has the chance to play I’d thoroughly recommend it.
    Sounds great
    Playing the la Reserva club and la Hacienda links up that way next year.

Oi, what about the vital piece of missing info???

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Oi, what about the vital piece of missing info???
    What missing info?

What missing info?
    I think he means how you scored!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I didn’t have Tony for a golfer which is why I was unsure. First two holes were garbage then pretty steady including some miraculous pars from errant tee shots on the back nine. About 14 over off 5.9 index which was 8 playing handicap there. Not great but could have been worse were it not for some stellar putting.

I assumed Tony was after info on which watch was worn, but you might be right. I'm personally looking forward to the golf photo including prerequisite plus fours on the course on the Friday thread ...

Glad you had a good time on the course, OP! I more often came off the course in a worse mood than I went on, so I've not played for 20 years. I should really give it another go (my wife keeps threatening to get rid of my kit, including the 200 golf balls) ...

Master
    Oh yeh.
    Happy 60th.

I didn’t have Tony for a golfer which is why I was unsure. First two holes were garbage then pretty steady including some miraculous pars from errant tee shots on the back nine. About 14 over off 5.9 index which was 8 playing handicap there. Not great but could have been worse were it not for some stellar putting.
    Well, I’m not a golfer, albeit the last round I played (about 15 years ago) was on the Kings Course at Gleneagles! Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I assumed Tony was after info on which watch was worn, but you might be right. I'm personally looking forward to the golf photo including prerequisite plus fours on the course on the Friday thread ...
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post

Glad you had a good time on the course, OP! I more often came off the course in a worse mood than I went on, so I've not played for 20 years. I should really give it another go (my wife keeps threatening to get rid of my kit, including the 200 golf balls) ...
    I’ve been having lessons with the pro at my club trying to undo bad habits so my golf is a mixture of great and terrible but I’m lucky in always being able to enjoy a round no matter how I play, although the first two holes did test my patience. I got paired with two Argentinian guys who were great company and a fellow Brit from no more than a couple of miles from where I live.
    I’ve been wearing my Tudor BB GMT over here but have a Shotscope watch when playing. Couple of photos below

Looks wonderful and glad you enjoyed your birthday treat.
    I get nervous playing a well manicured course and subconsciously try to avoid taking divots - resulting in a shocking score.

Looks amazing, a bit out of my price bracket. Pleased you enjoyed it.