closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gites de France

Craftsman

Gites de France

Anybody ever use them for a gites hire, seems they are a french government agency.
    Looking for a week in a decent house around Brittany.

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using Tapatalk

I've included them in searches and compared against VRBO and AirBnB.

What I noticed was that they have pretty high standards which some owners don't want to spend to achieve, but I ruled them out as there was no full-refund period at all. Can't remember the extent of the non-ref deposit, but a 1 month grace period for booking can be useful.

I prefer AirBnB with VRBO second.

Craftsman
    Cheers for that, took a punt on a house in Rosporden, got good reviews and had a private indoor pool.

Will report back, good or bad.

The places generally are high standard.

We stayed in a great place in Provence (suited us) but felt it was under-promoted via VRBO. Asked the owner if she had considered GdF, but got the impression that GdF was a standard she couldn't afford to attain.

Reckon you will get a great place- enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by stowaJLCfan View Post
    Cheers for that, took a punt on a house in Rosporden...
    Chouchen-making (a type of mead) capital of Brittany!

we stayed in southern brittany the last three french hols using brittany ferries to book combined return ferry and gite.
    their website is ok.
    going again next year but to loire valley this time for a change of scene.

that said this time we have used holidu for the accomodation to get a particular location , but still BF for the crossings.

Master
    Used them quite a few times over the years, always good and never had any problems.

Craftsman
    Thanks all, having use Sykes cottages last Easter for a house in Cheshire and gotten burned I'm a bit cautious of all letting agents now.

Blog Entries
    GdF is for most Dutch people the first place to look. Lots of choices, but large numbers go together with individual disappointments. Try to check the reviews of the specific spot you want to rent.

Master
    I've just been looking at the Gites de France website and can't believe the value of some of these. Would love to read more feedback from people who have used them because I'm now thinking of an Easter or summer holiday to France or Corsica.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    I've just been looking at the Gites de France website and can't believe the value of some of these. Would love to read more feedback from people who have used them because I'm now thinking of an Easter or summer holiday to France or Corsica.
    Corsica IS France ;)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Corsica IS France ;)
    You know what I meant. Getting to mainland France is slightly easier by car than Corsica.

You know what I meant. Getting to mainland France is slightly easier by car than Corsica.
    I'm planning driving to Corsica this year.

Yes I did.

But to be fair your post did not mention ease of access.
    Corsica is an absolute jewel but you'll hate it if you go in the summer. Chuck-a-blocked with tourists, unfriendly (because fed up) locals and extortionate prices.
    Off season, however, you'll see it for what it is. Still not cheap (prices are dearer for most things than on the main land because it comes via ferry anyway) mind.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by stowaJLCfan View Post
    Cheers for that, took a punt on a house in Rosporden, got good reviews and had a private indoor pool.

Will report back, good or bad.

How did you get on?

For motorbike hols:

I/we have four gites booked for 2024

1. Small gite in southern Brittany for a week in May - Home 2 Go

2. Large gite in Provence for first week in June/Jul - Gites de France (simply the best available in the right location)
    3. Small gite in Provence for second week - Booked direct, as we had stayed there in 2022 and are model guests. (I e-mailed the son of the owner and he responded with a good offer. When I asked for the bank details, his mother gave us a further €50 discount for the week! ) We'll buy her a gift - she's a nice old dear.

4. Small gite in Pyrenees for two weeks in Sept. Air BnB

I/we spend a lot of time looking for the best gite in the towns/villages we like - finding the exact location and aspect of each gite in Google earth and streetview so that there are no disappointments when we get there. Knock up a Google.sheets spreadsheet that we can all access online - with all the details, and start scoring them. Narrow it down and book accordingly.

Some would say that is a lot of work, but if there are 2-4 of you - it is the simplest way of making sure everyone can evaluate without tons of e-mail chains.

Anyway - We are quite particular, so end up going through whoever has the right accommodation/location. If it requires a booking deposit or breakage deposit - we don't balk at that now.
    Last edited by blackal; 14th December 2023 at 12:39.

Master
    Crikey that’s a name from the past - can’t offer any advice but when I worked in the travel industry some 40 years ago - we supplied their brochures to travel agents (if anyone can remember such a thing) and tourist boards

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    How did you get on?

For motorbike hols:

I/we have four gites booked for 2024

1. Small gite in southern Brittany for a week in May - Home 2 Go

2. Large gite in Provence for first week in June/Jul - Gites de France (simply the best available in the right location)
    3. Small gite in Provence for second week - Booked direct, as we had stayed there in 2022 and are model guests. (I e-mailed the son of the owner and he responded with a good offer. When I asked for the bank details, his mother gave us a further €50 discount for the week! ) We'll buy her a gift - she's a nice old dear.

4. Small gite in Pyrenees for two weeks in Sept. Air BnB

I/we spend a lot of time looking for the best gite in the towns/villages we like - finding the exact location and aspect of each gite in Google earth and streetview so that there are no disappointments when we get there. Knock up a Google.sheets spreadsheet that we can all access online - with all the details, and start scoring them. Narrow it down and book accordingly.

Some would say that is a lot of work, but if there are 2-4 of you - it is the simplest way of making sure everyone can evaluate without tons of e-mail chains.

Anyway - We are quite particular, so end up going through whoever has the right accommodation/location. If it requires a booking deposit or breakage deposit - we don't balk at that now.
    Very good, house and pool were ideal if a little rural, can't fault the booking process.

Would like to be near a larger town or city next time for more restaurant choice.