closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fidget things

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    If I started fidgeting with one of those, I'd end up looking like someone who'd allowed their toddler to face tattoo them.
    Haha, I have a scar on my finger from a butterfly knife accident when I was a foolish teen.

Playing with it on a moving minibus having only just purchased it from a shop in Amsterdam.

Good times!

Fantastic thread,

I have borrowed a few of my kids fidget spinners, I think they are cool, I have a plastic one near me currently.

I tempted to get a really decent one but never got round to it. Or make one, in titanium with ceramic bearings, again on the to do list but work got in the way.

I have been known to spin the wheels on a hotwheels car, recently, which I did as a kid, that and I used to keep a high grade titanium M8 bolt and a Titanium m8 nut, in my pocket, very tactical and good play with.

Not sure where it is currently, but I have a few in workshop somewhere safe.

Master
    I tried several fidgets but pocket knife really hit the spot for me.
    Fidgety and actually useful in real life.
    Now I have a lovely collection of watches AND knives.

Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post
    Fantastic thread,

I have borrowed a few of my kids fidget spinners, I think they are cool, I have a plastic one near me currently.

I tempted to get a really decent one but never got round to it. Or make one, in titanium with ceramic bearings, again on the to do list but work got in the way.

I have been known to spin the wheels on a hotwheels car, recently, which I did as a kid, that and I used to keep a high grade titanium M8 bolt and a Titanium m8 nut, in my pocket, very tactical and good play with.

Not sure where it is currently, but I have a few in workshop somewhere safe.
    Its not really a rabbit hole you'll be pleased to know, not too hard to find one that does it for you

Sent from my XQ-CQ54 using Tapatalk

Here's a couple of shots of my favourite worry stones, all from EDCcoins. I really like the butterscotch colouring of the micarta, which reminds me of a vintage Telecaster. :)

Last edited by dkpw; 15th January 2023 at 15:57.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Here's a couple of shots of my favourite worry stones, all from EDCcoins. I really like the butterscotch colouring of the micarta, which reminds me of a vintage Telecaster. :)

Nice,

Master
    They look amazing, love to be able to make my own.

Worry stones > from Google: to use, hold stone between index/middle finger or thumb, and gently move your thumb back and forth across the stone - notice how smoothing that feels. Is that it? I really can't see that working (for me) - but I've never tried it, so can't knock it.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Worry stones > from Google: to use, hold stone between index/middle finger or thumb, and gently move your thumb back and forth across the stone - notice how smoothing that feels. Is that it? I really can't see that working (for me) - but I've never tried it, so can't knock it.
    Pretty much, I use one that is combo stone/spin

Yes, seems weird to me.

Why's everyone so worried anyway?

You get worried you'll lose your worry stone

Fidget things

It's just something to do with your hands, while doing other things. As a very ex smoker, over 20 years, I still miss playing with a Zippo and having a ciggie in hand. Micarta "stones" are a lot healthier.

There's also the tactile sensation of having something so smooth to hold and manipulate. I do understand that it may appear a bit weird to those who've not had one.
    Last edited by dkpw; 16th January 2023 at 01:33.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

This is my fave , I can't put this down, it's the end game

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    This is my fave , I can't put this down, it's the end game

What has the tip of the Ikuchi caught there betwixt its liners?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    What has the tip of the Ikuchi caught there betwixt its liners?
    Yeah I've put a tiny piece of eraser on the end as it's easy to catch your finger on it

This is my fave , I can't put this down, it's the end game.
    Very nice, and I assume that's in Ultem?

I have a few Spydercos either Marcin Slysz - Ti folders, or cheapie FRN handled models.

I have a few Spydercos either Marcin Slysz - Ti folders, or cheapie FRN handled models.

SpydieChef, Slysz Bowie, and Techno 1 and 2? A lovely spread. Tempted by the SwayBack?

Yeah, it weighs like 15g, you can't feel any weight, it's perfect

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    SpydieChef, Slysz Bowie, and Techno 1 and 2? A lovely spread. Tempted by the SwayBack?
    Well spotted Sir, thank you, they are very lovely things.

I was tempted by the Swayback, when it was being previewed, as I do like a sheepsfoot / Wharncliffe blade. But when I saw it on Nick Shabbaz's review, I was disappointed by its larger size. I had hoped that it would be similar in size to either a Techno or up to a Bowie. If he made a mini version, I would buy one instantly.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Or a Tenga Egg and then you really fidget :-)

I need a super egg

Master
    I need a super egg
    See this thread, it’s dangerous.

Master
    Missed this post!

Yes I was looking at those last night also.

Think I need to try one of the fabric / resin stones too, just no idea what sort of texture they have, or if there is none and just a visual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Missed this post!

Yes I was looking at those last night also.

Think I need to try one of the fabric / resin stones too, just no idea what sort of texture they have, or if there is none and just a visual one.
    I have an Ultem one and use it as a paperweight. The Hand beads work for me. The Lautie ring spinner is both a fidget spinner and ring spinner, you can push the middle out

Missed this post! Yes I was looking at those last night also. Think I need to try one of the fabric / resin stones too, just no idea what sort of texture they have, or if there is none and just a visual one.
    The micarta stones are generally highly polished and so have no texture as such.
    However I did have one, since given to a friend, which did have a textured section. The dark lines in the top lighter section, had a slight rubbery feeling to them.

Master
    The micarta stones are generally highly polished and so have no texture as such.
    However I did have one, since given to a friend, which did have a textured section. The dark lines in the top lighter section, had a slight rubbery feeling to them.
    Thanks, I wasn’t quite sure.

There a couple of cheap-ish coins from the vendor you posted previously. Might have to order one and see.

Master
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1201...isting_details

Just ordered this, as need to try one.

Felt pouch now needs to be purchased I assume, or is it hard enough to not pick up scratches of on a pocket?

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1201...isting_details

Just ordered this, as need to try one.
    Felt pouch now needs to be purchased I assume, or is it hard enough to not pick up scratches of on a pocket?
    Very nice!! I've been tempted several time, by that very one! It's has the same dimensions as my round one.

Micarta is very tough stuff, although I keep my worry stones in the house where I usually am. I have dropped the round one onto my wooden floor and there wasn't a mark on it. I'd say you'd probably be okay with it, depending on what else is in your pocket. Keys and coins might be a bit of an ask.

EDIT: I just did a quick Google and found a knife site comparing Micarta with G10:

"Is micarta a strong material?

Micarta has been called “The Steel of the Plastic Industry”, so yes, micarta is a strong material. Because micarta is soaked and baked in a resin, it creates the same hard, almost plastic material that G-10 is. Compared to many other knife materials, micarta is a very strong handle material. But, because the different base materials aren’t woven like the fiberglass can be, micarta loses out on that aspect of the strength.

Differences: Once again, it really comes down to the base material used. Because fiberglass can be woven, it creates a stronger, more durable material. The base materials of micarta are softer materials and can be scratched if not treated properly; however, when it is treated correctly, it is extremely hard to scratch, and is almost as scratch resistant as G-10. Determining which one of is stronger is a very close competition, but G-10 pulls out as barely stronger."

EDIT 2: https://www.bladehq.com/blog/what-is...-knife-handle/ has very interesting info on micarta.
    Last edited by dkpw; 23rd January 2023 at 17:08.

Master
    If anyone's interested I've a couple of Lautie 'homages' bought off of Amazon to try before investing the big £££ for the real deal, but it turns out I don't get on with either. So happy to pass on at a reduced price. They're not worth starting a thread in SC for them but if anyone's interested drop me a message.

It's these ones:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BGKL...roduct_details

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BKQK...roduct_details

**Edit: Both now gone to Dave**
    Last edited by andy100; 23rd January 2023 at 19:16.

I'm always taking my ring off and fiddling with it (stop sniggering at the back!)

After reading the thread I started looking for something else metalic I could fidget/fiddle with. I liked the idea of some kind of coin and came across this Deadeye Contact Coin made by AROUNDSQUARE and sold by JP Games.

I went for the stainless steel version and I'm really pleased with it. It's well finished, a very pleasing weight and super smooth to the touch. Easy to carry anywhere as it fits in my jeans/trouser coin pocket and hopefully won't get too many marks on it in there either.

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    I'm always taking my ring off and fiddling with it (stop sniggering at the back!)
    You got me sniggering, but it's OK, I'm at the front as per usual ...

Question: what makes this (nice-looking and quality, it has to be said) Deadeye Coin better for fiddling with than say a 2p piece? Just a better shape (e.g. thicker, smooth)? I think I'd prefer the edges on the 2p. {I'm asking as I'm looking for an excuse to start investing in yet another, potentially pointless, TZ-fuelled hobby.}. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post
    If anyone's interested I've a couple of Lautie 'homages' bought off of Amazon to try before investing the big £££ for the real deal, but it turns out I don't get on with either. So happy to pass on at a reduced price. They're not worth starting a thread in SC for them but if anyone's interested drop me a message.

It's these ones:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BGKL...roduct_details

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BKQK...roduct_details

Have PM'ed , I'll take them both and give them a whirl, never tried the haptics

Question: what makes this (nice-looking and quality, it has to be said) Deadeye Coin better for fiddling with than say a 2p piece? Just a better shape (e.g. thicker, smooth)? I think I'd prefer the edges on the 2p. {I'm asking as I'm looking for an excuse to start investing in yet another, potentially pointless, TZ-fuelled hobby.}. Thank you.
    You hear people use the word 'tactile, things that are smooth and nice to touch just feel nicer I'm the hand so you move it around and keep your fingers busy, that'd my take on it

Very nice!! I've been tempted several time, by that very one! It's has the same dimensions as my round one.

Micarta is very tough stuff, although I keep my worry stones in the house where I usually am. I have dropped the round one onto my wooden floor and there wasn't a mark on it. I'd say you'd probably be okay with it, depending on what else is in your pocket. Keys and coins might be a bit of an ask.

EDIT: I just did a quick Google and found a knife site comparing Micarta with G10:

Micarta has been called “The Steel of the Plastic Industry”, so yes, micarta is a strong material. Because micarta is soaked and baked in a resin, it creates the same hard, almost plastic material that G-10 is. Compared to many other knife materials, micarta is a very strong handle material. But, because the different base materials aren’t woven like the fiberglass can be, micarta loses out on that aspect of the strength.

Differences: Once again, it really comes down to the base material used. Because fiberglass can be woven, it creates a stronger, more durable material. The base materials of micarta are softer materials and can be scratched if not treated properly; however, when it is treated correctly, it is extremely hard to scratch, and is almost as scratch resistant as G-10. Determining which one of is stronger is a very close competition, but G-10 pulls out as barely stronger."

EDIT 2: https://www.bladehq.com/blog/what-is...-knife-handle/ has very interesting info on micarta.

Never heard of that, will take a look, I love Ultem , in spinners particularly, super light

Master
    All yours Dave! They're interesting, very different from the spinners I've tried. I think the Lautie versions would be smoother, but I was pleasantly surprised by the feel of these two for the price. Both quite different to use from each other too, so I can see people having a preference, or using them at different times (the round 'milk cap' is softer in feel and sound than the card 'shuffle', though can still be reasonably loud depending on how much pressure you use on it).

I've got a brass 'worry stone' from BlackCloudGB on Etsy on order. I'm interested to see how that feels as I liked the feel of just rubbing the pattern on the 'shuffle', really quite relaxing!
    Last edited by andy100; 23rd January 2023 at 19:18.

I've got a brass 'worry stone' from BlackCloudGB on Etsy on order. I'm interested to see how that feels as I liked the feel of just rubbing the pattern on the 'shuffle', really quite relaxing!
    I've ordered the Lautie spinner ring, as it doubles as worry stone/haptic but never really tried haptics as can't sit playing with it as noise would annoy wife/colleagues etc, but working from home now worth a go
    My EDC worry stone spinner is brilliant though, albeit 150 quid

It's a lot heavier than a 2 pence, 42g compared to 7.12g so feels substantial in the hand. The concave profile is a perfect fit for your thumb to push in to and rub circles, figure 8s, back and fore, left and right.

It's just soooo smooth, think of it as a worry stone. The lack of weight, pattern and sharp edge profile of a normal coin are not what I was after.

Master

Been reading the same articles lol, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post

After reading the thread I started looking for something else metalic I could fidget/fiddle with. I liked the idea of some kind of coin and came across this Deadeye Contact Coin made by AROUNDSQUARE and sold by JP Games.

I went for the stainless steel version and I'm really pleased with it. It's well finished, a very pleasing weight and super smooth to the touch. Easy to carry anywhere as it fits in my jeans/trouser coin pocket and hopefully won't get too many marks on it in there either.
    That does look very good.

Haptics are things I love, but cant use in the evening next to my wife for risk of injury; even the dice one with different buttons / things on each side have me venturing to the haptic ones, and doing her head in!

Magnetic and metal vs plastic, I'd be in A&E within a few minutes!

Master
    I've ordered the Lautie spinner ring, as it doubles as worry stone/haptic but never really tried haptics as can't sit playing with it as noise would annoy wife/colleagues etc, but working from home now worth a go
    My EDC worry stone spinner is brilliant though, albeit 150 quid

I considered those too when I ventured down the fidget 'rabbit hole' recently. There's a couple of other designers apart from Lautie whose names I can't remember off the top of my head do some really unique and lovely designs.

I've just received notification that my BlackCloud stone has been despatched, so should receive that in the next few days :)

There's a couple of other designers apart from Lautie whose names I can't remember off the top of my head do some really unique and lovely designs.

Might be Sacred Spins or KAP.

I've 4 from KAP, all over 100 quid a piece but very tactile and work as worry stones as well as they are dual spinners and small using Ultem or smooth sculptured zirc

Master
    There's a couple of other designers apart from Lautie whose names I can't remember off the top of my head do some really unique and lovely designs.

Might be Sacred Spins or KAP.

I've 4 from KAP, all over 100 quid a piece but very tactile and work as worry stones as well as they are dual spinners and small using Ultem or smooth sculptured zirc
    KAp was a new one to me until I read about them from your posts. Compoform is one I like the designs of. Wanwu Armour Shield looks interesting too and has a curve to the inner plates which makes it a bit different. And from my research, Magnus seems to be the Daddy of haptic sliders - I do like the option on those of having a quieter or louder plate set too.

KAp was a new one to me until I read about them from your posts. Compoform is one I like the designs of. Wanwu Armour Shield looks interesting too and has a curve to the inner plates which makes it a bit different. And from my research, Magnus seems to be the Daddy of haptic sliders - I do like the option on those of having a quieter or louder plate set too.

Love the look of the Magnus

Master
    Can Eddie ban me from this thread? Those Magnus ones are amazing - love the magnetic 4 pill one, wow.

Waay before fidget toys were a thing that I was aware of I used to carry around with me an old bullseye derailleur jockey wheel from the 90's when ano aluminium stuff was everywhere. Like a mini fidget spinner but as I knew it's origin and had used it myself for many years it seemed to me to be imbued with something else as well.
    Like these.

Master
    Love the look of the Magnus
    Can Eddie ban me from this thread? Those Magnus ones are amazing - love the magnetic 4 pill one, wow.
    Sorry gents. Just returning some of the enablement that I've had in the past thanks to this place! ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stevet1 View Post
    Waay before fidget toys were a thing that I was aware of I used to carry around with me an old bullseye derailleur jockey wheel from the 90's when ano aluminium stuff was everywhere. Like a mini fidget spinner but as I knew it's origin and had used it myself for many years it seemed to me to be imbued with something else as well.
    Like these.
    The OG spinner! I've just looked them up and they look like they could be an option for a cheap but effective spinner, hmmmm...

Master
    The OG spinner! I've just looked them up and they look like they could be an option for a cheap but effective spinner, hmmmm...
    Oh FFS, this just gets worse, love those!

Currently got the only Magnus that's in stock in the basket stop stop stop