closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thailand Holiday

Master

Thailand Holiday

Mrs B has got it into her head that we should have a Thailand holiday and experience would indicate that it will likely follow. Grateful for advice/tips from anyone who knows the country.. what time of year is best.. things to definitely do (and not do) etc. Where to avoid abd where to definitely go.. that kind of thing.

Thanks in advance
    Rob

Thailand Holiday

Thailand is either hot and dry (Nov-Apr) high season, or hot and wet (rest of year) low season.

The former as the cool NE continental air floods the country. The latter given moist SW monsoon winds

By far the best months (and most expensive) are Jan and Feb. Cooler weather and beaches are fantastic and water is calm.

Beaches in Phuket are dangerous in summer months and many people drown because the beaches are unsupervised, the sea is very rough with numerous rips.

Summer is by far there cheapest time to visit, but I wouldn’t rush to go back. Not like Jan and Feb when I would go back is a heartbeat.

Been to Phuket, Krabi, Phi Phi and Koh Samui and enjoyed my holidays.

Highlight was renting long tail boat in December and snorkelling around Koh Phi Phi Ley where The Beach was filmed. Although much more to it that the beach.

Thailand is a fantastic winter destination. If you have to go in the summer (with the exception of Koh Samui which has better weather given it is on the east side) give it a miss and go to Bali where the weather patterns are the opposite of Thailand.

Ryan will be along to give more advice.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 8th January 2023 at 21:12.

How long are you planning to go for? Are you a city family, a culture vulture or a beach family? Or all 3?

Pending answers I can drum up some ideas- I'd say though if you can try and get Bangkok, Chiang Mai and a beach in the itinerary you'll be well covered.

Previous poster is spot on with the weather. Will be hot, humid and wet of you are planning the summer school holidays (and the flights will be a squillion quid each as capacity still hasn't ramped back on that route) but still a great place to go. Best time to go would be this time right now.

Craftsman
    Sukhothai for some peace and quiet.

Master
    We’ve not long come back from a superb near 3 week trip. Flew into Bangkok and spent some time with our son and then down to Krabi and took a boat to Koh Yao Noi for 5 nights. Then a boat to Ao Mang before returning to Bangkok for 4 more nights to see our lad again.

Quote Originally Posted by EBB21 View Post
    Sukhothai for some peace and quiet.
    Bangla Road for the complete opposite.

Journeyman

Thailand Holiday

We’’re off for 3 weeks in Feb. Flying into a Phuket via Dubai as got a good deal. Will only stay in a Phuket for a few days, then head to Koh Lanta and Phi Phi. Not sure where else yet, we’‘lol wait and see. Thailand is so easy to get around. Have been to Koh Samui, Kao Lak, Bangkok, Krabi and many others and they all are worth doing depending on what you’’re looking for and how adventurous you are. Good luck, you’ll love it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    In Phuket for 25th wedding anniversary last April.
    We honeymooned there too.
    Mid April both times and weather was great.
    I don't think you'd want to go much past April though as it's starting to get wet after that.
    Phuket is absolutely amazing place, food to die for and cheap to eat out and get fantastic quality.
    Journey is a pita though.

Master
    My advice is to check recent reviews for your resort as my last couple of trips there they had not reset after covid and it was a very odd experience ( hotel not maintained, staff had forgotten how to speak English, chefs didn’t know how to cook the items on the menus, etc).

Check they are reestablished and operating per the brochure.

Thailand Holiday

My Dad was in Phuket for 6 weeks immediately before Christmas.

Phuket is now massively dependent on Chinese tourism, and with China only just opening up he said many resorts are shutdown, and the place was very quiet with respect to tourism.

Personally I am not sure that is a bad thing, as the place was overrun with Chinese tourists before Covid, as it was with Russians a few years before that.

I’ve been ko Samui a couple of times
    Loved it
    Went July / august both times and the weather was
    Brilliant hot & sunny

Im going there later this week for 3 months.

Went before Christmas for 2 months. (isnt retirement great?!).

Ive been going there for 40 years now, When I went back in October (first time since January 2020) I was quite surprised, it was busier than I thought it would be.

Some great places already mentioned ie. one of the islands, Chiang Mai etc.

Id also throw Kanchanaburi into the mix. Not far from Bangkok (couple of hours) plenty to see, Bridge over the river Kwai etc, plenty of river related stuff to do too. In fairness, I like all of Thailand! Some cracking scenery, beaches,history and for me best of all the food!

Apparently, they are mulling over the idea, of making sure you have 2 covid vaccines, again now...Not a biggy, as I have had 4.Not set in stone yet though. They are letting the Chinese back in again too, either from yesterday or today...hence why they are mulling over entry requirements into Thailand again.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    My Dad was in Phuket for 6 weeks immediately before Christmas.

Phuket is now massively dependent on Chinese tourism, and with China only just opening up he said many resorts are shutdown, and the place was very quiet with respect to tourism.

Personally I am not sure that is a bad thing, as the place was overrun with Chinese tourists before Covid, as it was with Russians a few years before that.
    Yesterday, chatting with a friend whose son was very recently in Phuket, told me it is over run with sex tourists. I dunno never been.

Master
    We went as a family back in 2019, stayed in The Sands Kaho Lak and loved every minute of it. Went end of March into April, weather was great, did throw a heavy shower every afternoon around 3pm but didn't last long and cleared the humidity. Did quite a few organised trips, elephant sanctuary (not elephant show) monkey temple, James Bond Island etc. Went bed and breakfast as eating out is a pleasure. One of my favourite holidays.

Thailand Holiday

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Yesterday, chatting with a friend whose son was very recently in Phuket, told me it is over run with sex tourists. I dunno never been.
    Thailand and sex tourism - you don’t say. That is Patong and Pattaya, a very small part of the country, and easy to give those a wide berth if you choose. Although easy to go to Patong and just enjoy the hustle and bustle.

But, that is just an easy headline isn’t it. Vast majority go for lovely people, fantastic food, great beaches and wonderful culture.

Don’t let you friend put you off.

My Dad is 82 and has been going for 20+ years and has been hosted and looked after by a 55 yo Thai lady at her house. He pays rent and she enjoys the additional income and his company. My dad love it and is popular with her grandkids as he really mucks in with the school and fun stuff.

No idea if he is dipping his bread (he is 82), but I know that has never been is aim in life and neither do I care either.

He is going back in a few week time when her grandkids are off school for six weeks so he can spend time with them as his grandkids in the U.K. have all grown up.

His alternative is to rot in an armchair in his home town as most of his drinking buddies have now croaked it.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 9th January 2023 at 12:36.

Thailand and sex tourism - you don’t say. That is Patong and Pattaya, a very small part of the country, and easy to give those a wide berth if you choose. Although easy to go to Patong and just enjoy the hustle and bustle.

But, that is just an easy headline isn’t it. Vast majority go for lovely people, fantastic food, great beaches and wonderful culture.

My Dad is 82 and has been going for 20+ years and has been hosted and looked after by a 55 yo Thai lady at her house. He pays rent and she enjoys the additional income and his company. My dad love it and is popular with her grandkids as he really mucks in with the school and fun stuff.

No idea if he is dipping his bread (he is 82), but I know that has never been is aim in life and neither do I care either.

He is going back in a few week time when her grandkids are off school for six weeks so he can spend time with them as his grandkids in the U.K. have all grown up.

His alternative is to rot in an armchair in his home town as most of his drinking buddies have now croaked it.
    TMI, mate.

Thailand Holiday

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    TMI, mate.
    Sorry, I understand the acronym, but I don’t get your point or reason for being cryptic.

Say what you want to say if you have anything to say.

Master
    That's bullshit.
    Patong as ever has all that stuff but elsewhere just lots of couples and mixed groups of middle class twenty somethings meeting up for long weekends.
    Beautiful place and the best food you will eat.

Me and the Mrs about to head over to Thailand for a few months in a couple of weeks.

Any recommendations as to the best way to go regarding mobile phones?

Is it easier just to get a local SIM for the trip or any good deals from UK based providers?

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Local SIM, got about 2 weeks data for £8 in sep.

Local Sim 100%. You can get it at the airport. Roaming charges are very expensive otherwise.

Sounds like your Dad's got a nice situation sorted, that's good for him.

It's just not somewhere we're interested in tbh irrespective of the weekends convo, bad memories of working and living alongside Thai's in Israel on a moshav. But I'm happy others like visiting.

I have spent some time in Koh Chang which I really enjoyed plus Koh Samet which is more quite but very nice.

To farquare and Ryan, cheers folks

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    How long are you planning to go for? Are you a city family, a culture vulture or a beach family? Or all 3?

Pending answers I can drum up some ideas- I'd say though if you can try and get Bangkok, Chiang Mai and a beach in the itinerary you'll be well covered.

Previous poster is spot on with the weather. Will be hot, humid and wet of you are planning the summer school holidays (and the flights will be a squillion quid each as capacity still hasn't ramped back on that route) but still a great place to go. Best time to go would be this time right now.
    Apologies... should have been a lot more informative... probably 2 weeks but maybe a little more, but certainly no more than 3 weeks. There's just the two of us, both retired and in our late 60s. Both relatively active but not stupidly so. Both of us like the beach but also like to get around and see a bit of how the people live and work away from the beach. Usually we just jump on a local bus anywhere in Europe but in India we took taxis everywhere. I'm quite keen on photography so that's going to be a good part of what we need. Rather like the idea of a 'twin cwentre' sort of holiday which we have done in Florida and India in the past. Wait any comments/help.
    Rob

I wasn't as taken with Thailand as I was with Indonesia to be honest. Preferred my trip to Bali and the Gili Islands over Bangkok and Koh Samui.

Master
    Watching with interest as still trying to plan our December holiday.

Done Hua Hin several times over the years, but the last time lacked a certain something. The small and busy shanty restaurants we enjoyed seemed to have all moved into larger premises and had lost their charm.

Seemed to be far fewer British people there, with a focus from Swedish tourists judging by the many flags in bars and restaurants. Seemed to also be a lot of very noisy bars which wasn’t great, and can’t spend the whole night on the Hilton roof terrace.

Also been to Phuket, which was not something we would repeat. Having been exposed to a more quiet way of life in Hua Hin, the increase in British tourists made it a bit of a disappointment as to their behaviour.

Love the people, the culture and the food. Just not a fan of British tourists there! Getting bored of the Caribbean at the moment, so fancy something travelling east again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I wasn't as taken with Thailand as I was with Indonesia to be honest. Preferred my trip to Bali and the Gili Islands over Bangkok and Koh Samui.
    We loved Bali, did it for our honeymoon and keep meaning to return. Strangely none of the restaurants we enjoyed around Nusa Dua seem to exist on Tripadvisor.

We visited Thailand back in the late '90's

3 days in Bangkok, then flew to Chang-Mai for 5 days, on again to Mae Hong Son on the Burma border for 5 nights in the jungle, and finishing with 5 nights in Phuket.

The boss didn't enjoy Bangkok, CM and MHS were quite amazing, and Phuket was pretty much like any up-scale beach location.

I guess things have changed significantly in 20+ years, but we still have fond memories of the adventure.

Thailand Holiday

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    We loved Bali, did it for our honeymoon and keep meaning to return. Strangely none of the restaurants we enjoyed around Nusa Dua seem to exist on Tripadvisor.
    Bali is best for the U.K. summer months (peak season) as it is influenced by dry cooler air from Australasia, unlike the winter months where the NW monsoon brings in wet humid weather and rougher seas.

Beaches are nowhere near as good as Thailand, but the island is much smaller and manageable to get around. People in both countries are wonderful.

Been to Bali in May and October in the shoulder season. Lots of bogan families propped up at the cheaper bars provide some entertainment.

Loved Bali too.

If you’re going from Bangkok to Chiang Mai you may want to take the train with a first class sleeper.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Been to Bali in May and October in the shoulder season. Lots of bogan families propped up at the cheaper bars provide some entertainment.

Loved Bali too.
    Yeah, we spent one night in the Seminyak/Kuta beach area before spending the rest of the holiday travelling round the island and spending a few days each in Ubud, Lovina, Candi Dasa and the Gili's. One night in Kuta was enough. I don't think bogans travel the rest of the island though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Watching with interest as still trying to plan our December holiday.

Done Hua Hin several times over the years, but the last time lacked a certain something. The small and busy shanty restaurants we enjoyed seemed to have all moved into larger premises and had lost their charm.

Seemed to be far fewer British people there, with a focus from Swedish tourists judging by the many flags in bars and restaurants. Seemed to also be a lot of very noisy bars which wasn’t great, and can’t spend the whole night on the Hilton roof terrace.

Also been to Phuket, which was not something we would repeat. Having been exposed to a more quiet way of life in Hua Hin, the increase in British tourists made it a bit of a disappointment as to their behaviour.

Love the people, the culture and the food. Just not a fan of British tourists there! Getting bored of the Caribbean at the moment, so fancy something travelling east again.
    Can't be worse than the Russians, the Brits I mean...encountered some Russians in Mexico must've been well over a decade ago now, they seemed to take the all you can eat and drink thing as a challenge.

We’re not long back from a family Holiday to Thailand over Christmas with the kids. My sister lives there and my parents were also out there over Christmas.

We were mainly on Phuket (Bang Tao Beach area), with a road trip round to Krabi (Au Nang)

It was our first time in Thailand and we absolutely loved it. Will certainly be going back.

Had use of a car, so did a fair bit of travelling about. Highlight was a boat day trip to Phi Phi islands (Maya Bay etc) Another highlight was the viewing area at Samet Nangshe, which is a short 4x4 climb up steep roads to the top, on the journey between Phuket and Krabi.

Food incredible, people lovely, scenery breathtaking - loved it!

Master
    Can't be worse than the Russians, the Brits I mean...encountered some Russians in Mexico must've been well over a decade ago now, they seemed to take the all you can eat and drink thing as a challenge.
    Yes, met a few in Cuba. Very bizarre.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    We’re not long back from a family Holiday to Thailand over Christmas with the kids. My sister lives there and my parents were also out there over Christmas.

We were mainly on Phuket (Bang Tao Beach area), with a road trip round to Krabi (Au Nang)

It was our first time in Thailand and we absolutely loved it. Will certainly be going back.

Had use of a car, so did a fair bit of travelling about. Highlight was a boat day trip to Phi Phi islands (Maya Bay etc) Another highlight was the viewing area at Samet Nangshe, which is a short 4x4 climb up steep roads to the top, on the journey between Phuket and Krabi.

Food incredible, people lovely, scenery breathtaking - loved it!
    We were in Bang Tao Beach first time and along a little in Surin Beach this time.
    Did a day trip to one of the small islands and it really is special.

We have been twice one for our Honeymoon where we did Bangkok, Chaing Mai, Phuket and then koh Samui for a 3 week trip, the second time we just did Bangkok and Koh Samui and with a 6 month old.

Bangkok is nice but would not do more than 3-4 days there, Phuket was amazing for the boat trips and snorkelling.

I would go back in a heart beat, we both loved it over there. The people are so nice and friendly, the food is amazing and so cheap if you get out of the resorts.

Master

Thailand Holiday

Adding Khao Lak to the mix too now.
    Last edited by Mj2k; 10th January 2023 at 23:09.

Bumping this thread because I'm thinking of going to Koh Samui in April.

Looking for a very relaxed holiday, more of a retreat than a resort experience. Wondering if anyone can recommend places to stay?

I'm hoping that the weather will be okay even if it will be transitioning into the rainy season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post

Looking for a very relaxed holiday, more of a retreat than a resort experience. Wondering if anyone can recommend places to stay?

I'm hoping that the weather will be okay even if it will be transitioning into the rainy season.
    We spent 9 nights at the Conrad Koh Samui. Villas on stilts with private infinity pool. Very pricey but truly amazing place with equally amazing views.

I had been slogging up and down to Aberdeen for a couple of years and had amassed a huge amount of Hilton points which I cashed in to get the villa for free.

I coupled it with cashing in the now defunct British Midland miles (from the weekly slog to Aberdeen) to fly the whole family first/business class on Thai Airways too.

What a holiday that was.

That sounds amazing!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman

We stayed in Bophut in 2018. Was really nice, depending on budget there is something for everyone, for next to nothing we had a ground floor room in a small hotel which opened onto the beach.

We then went to Koh Tao and stayed at “The Place”. Look it up. Was absolutely unreal. £150 a night back then and it was pretty special. Think the ferry from Koh Samui was 3 hours.

We then stayed in Chaweng for a week but I wouldn’t recommend that. The hotel we stayed in was nice, but was a bit commercial outside so eating out was massively hit and miss.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Yeah, we spent one night in the Seminyak/Kuta beach area before spending the rest of the holiday travelling round the island and spending a few days each in Ubud, Lovina, Candi Dasa and the Gili's. One night in Kuta was enough. I don't think bogans travel the rest of the island though.
    Haha we did exactly that in 2017. Kuta was absolutely rank. Got ripped off in a taxi and I thankfully hadn’t had too much to drink so didn’t kick off and just paid and got out.

Craftsman
    On the whole people speak quite positively around Thailand. Worked with a few lads who went to Pattaya and said they planned to stay a few days but lasted a few hours. Older blokes walking down the road holding hands with young lads etc.

Depending on when you go in April, you may well be there for the Thai New Year “Songkraen” festival.

Look it up on google or YouTube…

I’m in Thailand now, can’t recommend anywhere in Samui unfortunately..I’ve not been there since 1991! I used to spend about 4 months there every winter from 1983 until 1991..then I was backpacking, from memory a “ bungalow” ( basically a straw hut!) on the beach was I think either a pound a night or maybe even 50P a night!

If you are flying there, the airport is great! ( well at least it was in 1991!)

As for the weather, shouldn’t get much rain, it will be very hot though!

We flew into Koh Samui and out of Phuket.

We hired a car at the airport to explore Koh Samui and took it on the ferry to mainland port of Donsak, and then onto Phuket. Ferry was an hour or two IIRC, and hire car company was all set up for it with no drop off fee.

Just another idea and a way of seeing Koh Samui, Krabi and Phuket in comfort.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

I have been to Samui quite a few times, most recently in August 2022. If you want more of a relaxed holiday then consider the beaches on the North or West of the Island. We stayed in a Melia this time, which is on Cheongmon beach a very nice beach and not too busy compared to others in Samui. I would avoid Chaweng, its very busy particulary on the North end of the beach, if you are down at the Centara grand area or South of there the beach is nicer and quieter. Chaweng Noi used to be a good choice for a quieter beach but since Covid its been less well maintained, some nice resorts there. I would also avoid Lamai beach, it was a ghostown last year, a bit depressing seeing it like that. Bohput and Maenam are worth considering too for a more relaxed atmosphere.

For really quiet beaches you can take a short ferry / speedboat over to Koh Phagnan, its much less developed and have many small beaches with few resorts much quieter than Samui.
    Last edited by xdonolix; 1st February 2023 at 11:14.