TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry, but Rolex UK prices up again today

Master

Sorry, but Rolex UK prices up again today

Find what you need at www.rolex.com

Haywood

Master
    I know its been discussed many times but its so frustrating with the waiting lists. The date sub was £7300 when I registered my interest, its now £8650.

could not find price list?i am useless at tech though , not that it matters, but i would still buy a SS skydweller tomorrow at retail IF i could

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    could not find price list?i am useless at tech though , not that it matters, but i would still buy a SS skydweller tomorrow at retail IF i could
    Each watch has the price displayed when you click into the selection

There is no price list with all the models on one page AFAIK

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    While Rolex UK usually send an Excel spreadsheet to main agents with all the new prices, the website simply shows the new price with each individual model.

You may thus Google "Rolex.com 326934 blue" and find this : https://www.rolex.com/watches/sky-dw...6934-0003.html

H

I have spent 10 mins trying to locate the SD43 but I cannot find it. There is an 18k/SS version only, unless I am blind?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I have spent 10 mins trying to locate the SD43 but I cannot find it. There is an 18k/SS version only, unless I am blind?
    Blind !

https://www.rolex.com/watches/sea-dw...6600-0002.html

£11,150

Main page of watches - there is an arrow on RHS of screen to take you through Daytonas and Sea Dwellers.

https://www.rolex.com/watches/sea-dw...6600-0002.html

Went up yesterday, or at least the new priices were on the Rolex Website.

Master
    An interesting graphic on the increase:

https://datastudio.google.com/report...051/page/frfiC

Master
    Wow up £800 since August 22, glad I got mine the week before the previous rise.
    Previously yearly rise are we now entering six monthly rises?

Already covered here - prices went up on 1st Jan.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?520126

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Already covered here - prices went up on 1st Jan.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?520126
    Ah, indeed, but no doubt missed by most as within the "Tudor Price Rise" thread which had been running for two weeks already.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Jesus £11.15k, when was the SD43 brought out?
    I believe it was about £8.5k when Rolex first released it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    It was released in 2017, coinciding with fifty years since the designated birth of the Sea-Dweller.

The December 2017 price list shows that it was priced at £8,350 but it may have been available for a short while at a slightly lower price before that.

Thanks HM, blind I am.

Ah, indeed, but no doubt missed by most as within the "Tudor Price Rise" thread which had been running for two weeks already.
    Very true. Happy new year to you, Sir.

Some of these increases are almost making me consider removing my name from ze list, specifically for the Rootbeer.

Master
    A bit academic really when you can't actually buy most of them.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Increasingly you can and will be able to buy most except the traditionally desirable steel Professionals. Stay tuned!

"Waiting lists" are thinning rapidly as the quick profit opportunity for Insta-newbies diminishes.

The BLNR/BLRO seem to stayed at the price they were (9000/9150 for oyster/jubilee respectively). That's strange.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The BLNR/BLRO seem to stayed at the price they were (9000/9150 for oyster/jubilee respectively). That's strange.
    Er....they were £8,850 on Oyster and £9,000 on Jubilee before the rise.

And butter was £1 a pat. Don’t get me started on milk and eggs.

Sign of the times.

Journeyman
    Got my Exp II back in June - can't believe there have been 2 price rises since. almost 10% increase. Wonder if this pace of increases is normal, or just keeping with with cost of living trends.

Inflation in Switzerland is certainly much lower than rest of world.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by warhog View Post
    Got my Exp II back in June - can't believe there have been 2 price rises since. almost 10% increase. Wonder if this pace of increases is normal, or just keeping with with cost of living trends.

There is no such thing as a normal rate of increase. There have been and will again be periods where Rolex prices do not change for years at a time.

Sorry, but Rolex UK prices up again today

Quote Originally Posted by warhog View Post

Trend GBP vs CHF for the last 5 years. Then trend for the last 40 years. You see what I mean?

Easy to do on Google.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 3rd January 2023 at 16:08.

“The only thing that comes down is rain”

Er....they were £8,850 on Oyster and £9,000 on Jubilee before the rise.
    My mistake, and thank you.

Strange that the percentage increases vary so much from watch to watch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Or would never even consider buying one, ever. Nothing Rolex make interests me even slightly, and I certainly wouldn't play their games to own one.

£8,350

Master
    Rolex business strategy is pricing their watches on a par with AP/PP/VC for the wealthiest, while the Tudor brand is pitched at middle class professionals

They've not tried to hide this; they don't want Rolex to be seen on the wrists of middle-managers, architects, day-traders and Swiss Toni etc
    Last edited by J J Carter; 3rd January 2023 at 18:52.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    they don't want Rolex to be seen on the wrists of middle-managers, architects, day-traders and Swiss Toni
    That boat sailed a long time ago.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    “The only thing that comes down is rain”
    Rain, and us Rolex fanboys' trousers.

Rolex business strategy is pricing their watches on a par with AP/PP/VC for the wealthiest, while the Tudor brand is pitched at middle class professionals

They've not tried to hide this; they don't want Rolex to be seen on the wrists of middle-managers, architects, day-traders and Swiss Toni etc
    Do you think they’ll reduce production to match the fact that there aren’t that many people that can afford PP/VC money for a watch?

- - - Updated - - -

This is crazy though, the watch I bought in June now retails £500 more!

So hard to buy a sports Rolex yet the YT I watched a day or so ago said Rolex account for 23% of the whole Swiss watch industry, Omega only 6%, yet you can virtually walk into an Omega boutique and get what you want within a reasonable time period. If not straight away, 6 year wait for a Rolex, if at all, or have I got that wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

This is crazy though, the watch I bought in June now retails £500 more!
    If that impresses you compare your June and December electricity bills!

Likely they are passing on higher costs of manufacture, logistics/transportation as well

Question

Where did you read this Rolex business strategy please?

And you are completely incorrect that Rolex are priced in the same bracket as AP/VC and PP........you're simply miles off I'm afraid.

It seems to me that Tudor are now what Rolex once was: expensive but affordable (and available) well-made, simple, stylish tool watches. I like them. Rolex, sadly, are are increasingly veblen bling bracelets.

The problem with this is that in the 1950s and '60s people (men, mainly) needed robust, accurate and legible timepieces, ideally automatic, waterproof and, if possible, chronometer-rated. Rolex were the gold standard with Omega a close second. These days they (we) don't: you can wear some smartwatch piece of tech that tell you more than just the time in another place (GMT hand) or gives you a chronograph / stopwatch function (hello, Speedmaster / Daytona). You could even -- heaven forfend! -- wear a simple quartz three-hander (date optional) which will cost you less than a fiver and will be accurate, cheap and waterproof enough for the pool or a scuba dive. What would NASA or Sir Edmund Hillary wear today? Maybe G-Shock?

So let Rolex charge what they want. No one needs one or any other mechanical watch. They are all luxury goods, status symbols, flashy toys.

Whinge on, my good fellows, but you'll either pay or not. And besides, there's a semiological argument that says even a real Rolex is a fake anyway. Just the other day I saw a large funeral party -- white working class, a family-owned builders / groundworks / roofers maybe with some Irish / traveller blood in their veins -- all decked out in Rolexes. Or "Rolexes". Real? Fake? I don't know or care. Good luck to them sez I. But if you want or wear a Rolex then that is that kind of portable / visible wealth that you are buying. I'm not being a snob -- in fact I'm assuming their watches were real -- but that's not really my scene, not really my style. My money, such as it is, ain't on my wrists or even in my car -- a 2002 Honda Civic with 150,000 miles on the clock which almost doubles in value after I fill the tank, but, as they say, your mileage may vary. Each to their own and God bless us every one.

Master
    I’ve cancelled a recent ‘expression of interest’ in a Rolex. I can’t be arsed any more. Too much bling and hype.
    Ordered a Garrick instead which actually cost more than the Rolex but much less poserish.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    It seems to me that Tudor are now what Rolex once was: expensive but affordable (and available) well-made, simple, stylish tool watches. I like them. Rolex, sadly, are are increasingly veblen bling bracelets.

The problem with this is that in the 1950s and '60s people (men, mainly) needed robust, accurate and legible timepieces, ideally automatic, waterproof and, if possible, chronometer-rated. Rolex were the gold standard with Omega a close second. These days they (we) don't: you can wear some smartwatch piece of tech that tell you more than just the time in another place (GMT hand) or gives you a chronograph / stopwatch function (hello, Speedmaster / Daytona). You could even -- heaven forfend! -- wear a simple quartz three-hander (date optional) which will cost you less than a fiver and will be accurate, cheap and waterproof enough for the pool or a scuba dive. What would NASA or Sir Edmund Hillary wear today? Maybe G-Shock?

So let Rolex charge what they want. No one needs one or any other mechanical watch. They are all luxury goods, status symbols, flashy toys.

Whinge on, my good fellows, but you'll either pay or not. And besides, there's a semiological argument that says even a real Rolex is a fake anyway. Just the other day I saw a large funeral party -- white working class, a family-owned builders / groundworks / roofers maybe with some Irish / traveller blood in their veins -- all decked out in Rolexes. Or "Rolexes". Real? Fake? I don't know or care. Good luck to them sez I. But if you want or wear a Rolex then that is that kind of portable / visible wealth that you are buying. I'm not being a snob -- in fact I'm assuming their watches were real -- but that's not really my scene, not really my style. My money, such as it is, ain't on my wrists or even in my car -- a 2002 Honda Civic with 150,000 miles on the clock which almost doubles in value after I fill the tank, but, as they say, your mileage may vary. Each to their own and God bless us every one.
    Well said Rev!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Omega, Rolex, IWC, GO etc will soon all be out of the price of most people. It’s a shame as they moving away from being aspirational to unobtainable.

Obviously other brands are filling that void but many won’t be interested in them. It is what it is.

You seem to forget that many of us have a significant interest in, and passion for, horology. After all, this is a watch forum (despite the trials and tribulations contained herein). Yes, you can buy a watch for less than a fiver. But that's not the point and I think you know that. The reasons for collecting watches are many and varied. For me, it isn't about money or investment. It is more about an appreciation of fine engineering, craftsmanship and artistic expression. It is obviously not just about telling the time!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Gold standard?

I'm not sure what to make of these sort of Rolex Fan Boy outbursts. Rolex didn't even make their millionth watch until the early fifties. They were not even Jonathan to Omega's Goliath.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    You seem to forget that many of us have a significant interest in, and passion for, horology. After all, this is a watch forum (despite the trials and tribulations contained herein). Yes, you can buy a watch for less than a fiver. But that's not the point and I think you know that. The reasons for collecting watches are many and varied. For me, it isn't about money or investment. It is more about an appreciation of fine engineering, craftsmanship and artistic expression. It is obviously not just about telling the time!
    What's the best watch with fine engineering, craftsmanship and artistic expression you have bought for a fiver?

Edit. I confess I expected to be able to dig something out of the dregs of ebay that would give me the basis of arguing that it was all those things, but clearly the bottom of the barrel is slightly pricier these days. Perhaps ten or twenty quid to be able to get something that you can make a case for being as interesting as a current Rolex.
    Last edited by M4tt; 3rd January 2023 at 21:42.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Is there much haute (or even interesting) horology in your average Rolex? As for "fine engineering, craftsmanship and artistic expression" I'd say that brands such as Nomos or JLC give much bigger bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Gold standard?

I'm not sure what to make of these sort of Rolex Fan Boy outbursts. Rolex didn't even make their millionth watch until the early fifties. They were not even Jonathan to Omega's Goliath.
    They didn't even really make watches then, not as a fully in-house manufacture, but bought in the movements and slapped their name on the plates, bridges and rotors.

As the Everest thread shows, Rolex -- good watches though they were and still are -- have always been best at PR.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Is there much haute (or even interesting) horology in your average Rolex? As for "fine engineering, craftsmanship and artistic expression" I'd say that brands such as Nomos or JLC give much bigger bang for the buck.

They didn't even really make watches then, not as a fully in-house manufacture, but bought in the movements and slapped their name on the plates, bridges and rotors.

As the Everest thread shows, Rolex -- good watches though they were and still are -- have always been best at PR.
    That's better, for a moment there I was worrying you'd gone over to the dark (green) side!

That’s kinda were I got to with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    I know its been discussed many times but its so frustrating with the waiting lists. The date sub was £7300 when I registered my interest, its now £8650.
    Sadly the reality is many people on “lists” will never get the call.

Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Sadly the reality is many people on “lists” will never get the call.
    Things are changing.