closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sorry, but Rolex UK prices up again today

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    HAHA True that, we just had 2nd Christmas- 3 Kings, and yet another to come this weekend... Happy new Year Wileey.
    Happy New Year, P. If you do catch Mick on his travels £50 into the FR for a signed autograph.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    This 'influx' of watches mentioned to be coming to AD's and out to the lists will still feed the grey dealers for some time yet whilst there's a profit to be made.
    Is there any profit to be made now except on a few select models?

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Happy New Year, P. If you do catch Mick on his travels £50 into the FR for a signed autograph.
    Thanks W. Absolutely will take up that challenge, though I think your money is probably safe, I might've touched a nerve when we last interacted.

Plenty.
    I would be curious to know on which models as its not my understanding?

Master
    The number of models whose market allows a quick profit is reducing steadily.

Bye bye, anonymous Insta-muppets who trade with a mobile telephone number and bags of cash in pub car parks.

I would be curious to know on which models as its not my understanding?
    Rolex website versus Google will help. A 126610LV £9.1k versus £12k is a good start. There's plenty more, but remember they were nearly twenty grand at one point last year, so falling, but 'evens' is not happening this year, apart from the crappy models no one wanted before the hype.

Master
    The truth is Rolex has been at least partly helping to drive sales of other Swiss brands as customers build relationship with ADs with spend history through non Rolex purchase. This only works if there is a degree of value retention in Rolex and difficulty to obtain from AD. If it becomes easier to obtain from AD and or the Rolex retail price gets to a level where value retention is in question, customers may not want to play the subsidize game through purchase of non Rolex brands, then the whole Swiss watch industry could come tumbling down like house of cards with inflated prices that nobody wants. I don’t think Rolex retail price has reached that inflection point, but I think they are getting much closer, Rolex better be careful on price increases or they risk pulling the rug on the whole Swiss watch industry!

Master
    Rolex website versus Google will help. A 126610LV £9.1k versus £12k is a good start. There's plenty more, but remember they were nearly twenty grand at one point last year, so falling, but 'evens' is not happening this year, apart from the crappy models no one wanted before the hype.
    Bicolour Sub and many others now available with very little wait.

Many asking prices are generally not realistic selling prices and Chrono24 often represents the optimistic, the slow or both.

I write as someone with a vested interest in supporting prices, not depressing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

Many asking prices are generally not realistic selling prices and Chrono24 often represents the optimistic, the slow or both.

I write as someone with a vested interest in supporting prices, not depressing them.
    Understand that, but the models people actually want, as opposed to the ones they bought just to get on the bus will remain hard to maintain and command a premium. That's from someone wanting one, trying to get one etc, so the opinion is real.

Master
    Understand that, but the models people actually want, as opposed to the ones they bought just to get on the bus will remain hard to maintain and command a premium. That's from someone wanting one, trying to get one etc, so the opinion is real.
    I would agree, nobody actually wants a bicolor sub THAT much! So IMHO they should never really be waitlist or over retail meaningfully. However, I have no doubt that a Pepsi or a steel Daytona, will always be very hard to get and highly desired whatever the situation. Yesterday I saw a black ceramic Daytona go for 19.5k after premium at auction site, my first thought is a bargain at only 7k over retail given that the seller (if he got it at AD) will likely never ever get one at retail again and to my eyes, the hottest Rolex out there. Sounds crazy, but is that £7k profit going to change anything. Tough times!

There is nothing desirable about a Bicolour Sub, it's a 'one foot in the grave' watch.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Just to check, are you saying I can buy a 126610lv for £12k? If so where is that please. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Just to check, are you saying I can buy a 126610lv for £12k? If so where is that please. Thanks
    Have a look on eBay and make an offer!

I was reducing a little from advertised grey prices to satisfy those telling us the advertised prices are not the sale prices, even though they go the same day. Average grey asking now £14k. I'd like one but £12k max budget.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If we go back far enough to the 1950s and 60s there was justification in buying the more expensive items, they performed better in a tangible sense than their cheaper counterparts and the advantages were easier to justify. Brands became established on the basis of what they provided, a Rolex or Omega would generally be a better timekeeper and provide a level of longevity that the lesser brands couldn't match. A watch that ran to within 2 or 3 secs/day was worth having back in the days when the only accurate time source was the 12 o clock pips on the radio! Same with cars, in the early 60s a Mk11 Jaguar could get to 60 in 8.5 secs and do 120, at a time when most cars struggled to get to 60 in 20secs and were flat out at 80mph. The advantages of the expensive watches and cars really were tangible.

Fast forward to today, all cars go fairly quickly and you don't need to spend much to get a car that's plenty fast enough, buying the insanely quick cars at great expense doesn`t provide the tangible benefit that the Mk11 Jag did in the early 60s. As for the watches, the mechanical timepiece has been an anachronism since the late 70s when quartz models became affordable and cheap.

So where does that leave us, why pay over £5K for a basic Rolex or big money for a BMW M when the alternatives will fully meet the criteria of doing the job well? Yes, the watch tells the time and the car gets you to work and back, but there's no rational argument to justify either. The tangible benefit argument ceases to be valid and that happened a long time ago, the increase in watch prices over the past 12 years merely serves to amplify the futility. I was happy to go along with the watch thing when a decent used Rolex could be had for under £2K, I was happy to own and justify these watches circa 2010, nowadays I can`t and I`d feel a bit silly walking around with a £10K watch on my wrist, I certainly wouldn't get a warm feeling from it. Likewise a £70+K motor on the drive, it simply has no appeal and I don`t see how either the watch or the car confer an impression of good taste any longer, some folks may be impressed but a lot more would think 'what a knob'.

65 today, maybe I`ve just grown out of it all.

Edit: Just seem Matt's latest post.......I reckon he's got Yorkshire genes after all!
    Happy birthday, and yes well put.

Someone did it in 2021 so I copied it for 2022. Not a bad way to track comings and goings and monitor the relegation zone. We're all sad in some way or other, you're neighbours with Cilla and Mick P ha!
    Column for wearable anxiety?

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Column for wearable anxiety?
    Only one watch meets that criteria so no need

Only one watch meets that criteria so no need
    AP?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    AP?
    Yeah,

Quote Originally Posted by TROYBOY79 View Post
    no one can buy one from ADs so the increase means little I suppose
    Absolutely not the case.

Question

Yeah,
    Why's that? Living in/working in London specific perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    And the fact the bezel and case are scratch and ding magnets

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    True story.

Wileys is ceramic bezel tho.

Thumbs up

I also have a ROO 43 similar to the one Wileey bought (again with the Ceramic bezel as C mentioned) and neither of your statements are actually correct I'm afraid.....(and based on this being my 5th ROO over the years)

A little bit of London but not really as I don't go to the types of places where you'd get robbed anyway.

More dumb stuff like builders coming for quotes, worn it to work a few times and once someone actually knew what it was and the conversation got a bit awkward - is it real? Did you really spend X on a watch? Had a few unsolicited watch chats with people I don't really know after that.

The main fear is whacking it off a kitchen counter or door frame. I'm not careful with watches and my Garmin has had the full treatment.

That said I dropped the AP off for a warranty service this week and tried on the green RO. Fell in love on the spot. What a watch.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I also have a ROO 43 similar to the one Wileey bought (again with the Ceramic bezel as C mentioned) and neither of your statements are actually correct I'm afraid.....(and based on this being my 5th ROO over the years)

Depends on the ROO though.
    Mine have all been total scratch magnets, but they've always been full steel.

I know we're very off topic.....That’s fair enough and that’s a very lovely watch btw. I had a ROO diver in white and it just seemed to me that the bezel picked up marks from the lightest of brushes. I am somewhat allergic to marks on watches though so i know this about me not about the watch.

see horizontal scratch at 6pm. ding at 11, and at 12 there was a scratch not visible here.

I'd love another but either ceramic or counselling (for my fear of scratches)
    Last edited by tz-uk73; 5th January 2023 at 14:23.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Depends on the ROO though.
    Mine have all been total scratch magnets, but they've always been full steel.
    Granted, the older ROO's (pre-ceramic) do wear somewhat tall on the wrist and with a Steel or Rubber bezel it was always a case of "when and how bad"!!!

I know we're very off topic.....That’s fair enough and that’s a very lovely watch btw. I had a ROO diver in white and it just seemed to me that the bezel picked up marks from the lightest of brushes. I am somewhat allergic to marks on watches though so i know this about me not about the watch.

see horizontal scratch at 6pm. ding at 11, and at 12 there was a scratch not visible here.

I'd love another but either ceramic or counselling (for my fear of scratches)
    Thanks.

Have the exact same Diver 42 and I'd agree that model can be troublesome to avoid snagging as it's based on quite an old case design. As you know they (the diver especially) do certainly wear tall/high on the wrist compared to the latest ROO 43's and even the older ROO 44's too. The latest Diver with the quick change strap system still has a Steel bezel (unless you really push the boat out for the Limited Edition White Gold Diver at £56,500 with a ceramic bezel) but I'd expect that to change to Ceramic in the next few years - maybe even this year in the 30th Anniversary of the AP ROO.

I try to not stress about any marks and just console myself that I'll get them dealt with come service time when they are 5 years old.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Id like to see a diver with a ceramic bezel. Not a chrono fan so its a bit scratch magnet or nowt for me at the minute.

Id like to see a diver with a ceramic bezel. Not a chrono fan so its a bit scratch magnet or nowt for me at the minute.
    Ploprof is scratching (so to speak) my itch at the moment.

I still wish i'd bough this one at the amsterdam boutique around 6 years ago.....irc it was £14.5k and that was pre-brexit so vat free too...... should have done it!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I shouldn't have sold mine on here for something stupid like 11k and then buy one back at a significant increase. FFFFFFFffffffff

There is a nice one but sadly it's white gold so the price is nuts.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    the only pm ROO for me is the summer edition!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    I'm sure I'm in the minority here but those AP's look hideous to me. Never seen the attraction.
    You are not alone. Gangsta watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    You are not alone. Gangsta watch.
    What does your collection look like home boy? 🤣

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    What does your collection look like home boy? 藍
    Probably wearable without getting stressed by the sound of it.

However, returning to the earlier argument, I assume that this is an aesthetic question - I doubt that anyone can deny that the early seventies Genta aesthetic of the ROO is a teeny bit marmite.

So is the challenge to see watches that are less marmite. Or is it something else...
    Last edited by M4tt; 5th January 2023 at 19:50.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but those AP's look hideous to me. Never seen the attraction.
    Agreed and they look huge.

Question

Have you ever tried an AP ROO or RO on?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Have you ever tried an AP ROO or RO on?
    Have you ever tried Marmite?

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Have you ever tried Marmite?
    Yes I have.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Good, so in much the same way that some people don't like Marmite and some do, some like the watch and some don't. At the point that someone says they don't like marmite then asking if they have smeared it on their wrist probably isn't going to help. Likewise calling out someone's collection is probably unhelpful, especially given the earlier conversation.

Personally, I have tried on several over the years, because I'm curious, have good relations with a few dealers and indeed friends and like watches. I'm definitely on the other side of the fence as these watches go. I know they are a unique one of a kind design classic and all, but back in reality, they do happen to look very very similar to the earlier Omega designs Genta did, but with a fatter bezel which has exposed yet non functional bolts - They have a screw head in a bolt that can't turn. Personally spandrels like that are a bit of a turn off for me. In the Santos Dumas, they make sense. In the dive helmet that was apparently the inspiration, they make sense. Here, less so.

So, for example, the slightly earlier Omega F300 C and D which no doubt played a major part in Genta's ability to knock off the RO design in 24 hours, is a better looking example of this sort of design aesthetic - it's cleaner with a thin bezel and a subtle call back to Genta's career defining design, the Polerouter. More to the point, the design if all about function and its grace comes from that. At the other end of this period, Genta's Patek designs get back on track and are all about function again.

And that's why it's marmite for me, I accept, even rejoice, the watch choices of others, but as you asked...

Is it not a little rude though, to multiple post negatives when a member has posted something he likes and owns, totally against the thread discussion?

Craftsman
    The number of models whose market allows a quick profit is reducing steadily.

Bye bye, anonymous Insta-muppets who trade with a mobile telephone number and bags of cash in pub car parks.
    I,ll pay you £18k for a 2022 Daytona. That’s quite a nice margin for a seller. Do you have one for sale. ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post
    I,ll pay you £18k for a 2022 Daytona. That’s quite a nice margin for a seller. Do you have one for sale. ?
    When you refer to a nice margin, what do you imagine will have been paid for it? I don’t think I understand your point.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    There is nothing desirable about a Bicolour Sub, it's a 'one foot in the grave' watch.
    So sayeth the self-appointed arbiter of that which is tasteful.

Master

Sorry, but Rolex UK prices up again today

So, for example, the slightly earlier Omega F300 C and D which no doubt played a major part in Genta's ability to knock off the RO design in 24 hours, is a better looking example of this sort of design aesthetic - it's cleaner with a thin bezel and a subtle call back to Genta's career defining design, the Polerouter. More to the point, the design if all about function and its grace comes from that....
    Eye of the beholder I guess, but definitely not for me….

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Is it not a little rude though, to multiple post negatives when a member has posted something he likes and owns, totally against the thread discussion?
    I wasn’t, I was explaining very clearly why I personally find it marmite. I am far from any arbiter of taste, because, at this stage in my collecting journey, I find delight in watches that Rajen accurately describes as tiny old ugly pieces of s***t, while enjoying my explanations as to why they are in fact marvellous. Genta is, without doubt a genius, and the RO is widely seen as an example of this. But it is marmite. So dismissing this opinion out of hand deserves a slightly more focused explanation. Especially in the light of the earlier conversation that this looped away from. I’m not claiming to be right, because if it puts a grin on your face it’s a great watch, but I think I have given a couple of reasons for marmite. What would be great is for someone to explain why it’s great with a yeasty tang that can’t be beat.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Eye of the beholder I guess, but definitely not for me….

Absolutely, I had the more orthodox C variant in mind, but like most Genta, it’s marmite. Giugiario, another marmite genius, happily appropriated the lopsided look and s clearly liked a bit of marmite himself.
    Last edited by M4tt; 6th January 2023 at 00:13.

Master
    Absolutely, I had the more orthodox C variant in mind, but like most Genta, it’s marmite.
    The C looks a tad better I guess, at least its not odd. But still looks quite basic, dial, case, finish, and don’t understand the undersized hands.