closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling Aerospace battery replacement.

Breitling Aerospace battery replacement.

I’ve just taken my aerospace out of box today and realised the battery is dead and needs replacing.

Breiling boutique sales assistant suggested the price would range from around £170 for this and upto £500 should the watch require a service. This sounds a bit steep to me so was wondering if there are other places around London that could swap out the service.

I did ponder taking it the The Watch Lab but the negative reviews put me off this.

Thanks in advance.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Try this. It was not many threads down from the one you started.

Good luck

Jim

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...nge-and-set-up

https://youtu.be/ZwqIuezht38

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Breitling Source will confirm the battery type - Renata 380 for the 42mm/cal.79 model for example.

A quick pictorial of me changing the battery just now:

All the things you need:

Case holder, with lint-free cloth to protect the case a little more:

Unscrew all 6 caseback screws a little, brush the area clean under case back. Repeat. All to avoid any debris getting into movement.

Small screws x6.

Clean case back where it meets case. Do same for case where the caseback lip sits inside the case - carefully, with some tack to remove dust.. or as I did, a cocktail stick and clean around area, lifting anything away without going above movement.
    Also pop out gasket, give it a drop of silicone grease all over - not a lot, just a nice sheen.

Battery retainer is held in with 2 really tiny screws. They are also under tension from the holder which is slightly sprung against battery - be careful, as one flew out for me, thankfully landed on the surrounding tea-towel!!!

Getting that tiny screw back in for the battery retainer was not nice. Must have had 10 tries at least.
    The Stella was opened for popeye-like fuel, and I got there.
    Note the finger cots (or 2 ends of a rubber glove who gave his life for this task) to avoid me touching the battery or movement and putting my oily skin prints on it.

I gave the movement a close check for any debris, then gave it a gentle blast with the hairdryer for 10/15 seconds just on warm, to waft away any dust and ensure my heavy breathing over that fecking little screw had not added any moisture into the case.

Replace gasket into caseback, reseat caseback (it goes so the writing can be read correctly if the crown is on the left - so that the battery shroud and other white protective plate are in correct places).
    Replace screws. I suggest tightening them like you would wheel nuts… 120Nm torque (joke).
    Screw them back gently, just to a bite, do all 6, then work across them so you tighten opposite sides in turn, do them up a little, repeat 3 or 4 times until caseback is seated level and screws are as tight as you think they should be!
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 7th January 2023 at 18:44.

Master
    Well looks like you’ve ballsed that up straight away …….. shouldn’t you’ve have opened the Stella 1st?

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Well looks like you’ve ballsed that up straight away …….. shouldn’t you’ve have opened the Stella 1st?
    Ahhhh! I did half way through.
    Another now to celebrate success!

Pop it on a nice Velcro or something, and off we go!

If you need to reprogram from scratch, it’s easy.
    Just pull out crown, set digital time (ignore hands to start with) then work through other settings as per instruction book or online.

Is it WR, I hear you ask!
    Well, no reason for it not to be - assuming gasket was not too old or degraded already.
    They are 100m watches (50 on the old snap-back case??) but I will never be diving with it, and I shall pop into a place I know for a pressure test next week.

Last edited by notenoughwrists; 7th January 2023 at 18:51.

Russell Talerman (just off Regent Street) did mine for about £30 a couple of years ago including a pressure test.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Ahhhh! I did half way through.
    Another now to celebrate success!

Welll done always satisfying- I sweat a bit the 1st time I did my SMP

Master

Just pull out crown, set digital time (ignore hands to start with) then work through other settings as per instruction book or online.

Well, no reason for it not to be - assuming gasket was not too old or degraded already.
    They are 100m watches (50 on the old snap-back case??) but I will never be diving with it, and I shall pop into a place I know for a pressure test next week.

Good job! Looks cracking.

Master
    Blog Entries

Great write up NEW

Thanks for sharing

Jim

Really helpful info.
    Does anyone know the size of those caseback screws and where to get them from?

[QUOTE=notenoughwrists;6135910]A quick pictorial of me changing the battery just now:

"Battery retainer is held in with 2 really tiny screws. They are also under tension from the holder which is slightly sprung against battery - be careful, as one flew out for me, thankfully landed on the surrounding tea-towel!!!"

"Getting that tiny screw back in for the battery retainer was not nice. Must have had 10 tries at least."

Without wanting to step on Edd China's shoes and his top tips and not being a watch maker, when I do these teeny tiny screws under tension I slacken them with a screwdriver and then remove them with a blob of blue tack on a matchstick.
    Reverse for replacing them.
    It's worked every time for me.
    H