closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Leatherman tool; which one?

Blog Entries

Leatherman tool; which one?

Inspired by Laura Kampf's blog on YT about her Leatherman tools, I started looking for a Leatherman for myself. https://www.youtube.com/@laurakampf (I mentioned her blogs here on TZ-UK a while back).

Here, she's modding her Leatherman:

I'm planning to use it in and around the house (not always having to walk to the workshop for 'workbench tools'), sailing holidays and when I take one of my classic cars out for a spin.

Hence the question: what would be a good one? Or are there -same level of quality- alternatives to Leatherman. Users-experience would be great.
    Last edited by thieuster; 31st December 2022 at 13:17.

(not sure if you are meaning a knife or a multitool, not viewed the vid)

Not sure if Leatherman still adhere to the 'open back' style but i found that Gerber multitools were better ergonomically.

(When using pliers - the blades are on the insides of the handles, rather than outside)

Master
    Blog Entries
    In terms of quality I've had a Leatherman and the main blade snapped after a short time.

They replaced the tool but my Gerber seems subjectively better.

That said my go-to is a 20+ year old Topeak McGuyver. It's built like a tank and there's no job it can't do to some degree.

I carry and use one of the old SOG powerpliers where the tools are under the handle wing. Brilliant tool and definitely my favourite. I also own Gerber and Leathermans but the SOG works best for me.

I got the wave+ in the heritage leather sheath and it’s excellent. Have the bit set for it too - a very competent little package.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I got the wave+ in the heritage leather sheath and it’s excellent. Have the bit set for it too - a very competent little package.
    Same. Very useful set to have in the glovebox

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    That’s where I keep mine too ;)

Master
    Same, mine arrived this morning from here

https://hollandscountryclothing.co.u...tainless-steel

Wave is probably best compromise between portability and capabilities.

My preferred multi-tools with pliers is my SwissTool. It lives in a Victorinox rescue sheath which fits perfectly, but in every day carry there is no substitute for a SAK
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Figure out what tools you actually need then go from there. I've had a few in the past and realised I didn't use half the tools on them. I now carry a Skeletool CX (as I prefer a non serrated blade) and also have the Leatherman Free K2 for when I need a bigger more sturdy, blade. The choice can be quite bewildering but all the ones I've owned have been great quality. Is there a shop local to you that you can visit to try them?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Wave is probably best compromise between portability and capabilities.

My preferred multi-tools with pliers is my SwissTool. It lives in a Victorinox rescue sheath which fits perfectly, but in every day carry there is no substitute for a SAK
    I agree the SAK is such a great general purpose tool. I generally go with the Alox classic SD - ethereal to carry, and utterly non-threatening in any context.

The Alox bantam is another good shout.

I also recently got the Knipex cobra XS, to see how they’d pair with a SAK, but I think on balance the Leatherman does the “portable toolbox” thing a little better than that combo.

My Leatherman Wave has been so useful around the house, I've used all the tools on it too. Wouldn't be without it.

Heritage sheath:

Blog Entries
    Is there a shop local to you that you can visit to try them?
    Yes, there is. But their stock is limited; it's a display at the local hardware/forestry shop. They do not stock other brands afaik.

First effect of this thread: reading this I've become aware that there's more than Leatherman!!! E.g., I'd never heard of SOG.
    Last edited by thieuster; 31st December 2022 at 14:41.

I have a Wave + with bit kit which has been excellent. If you don’t need a saw and serrated knife blade , then the Curl is pretty much as good and also has the bit driver attachment which lets you use bit kits (torx, Phillips, flatheads etc) plus has an awl which is really handy.

Other makes (SOG, SAK, Gerber) etc don’t have the 25 year no quibble replacement guarantee, so this makes it worth it IMHO.

Do keep in mind whether you buy one with a locking blade or not - if it locks it falls under the various "need to have good reason to have it with you in a public place" laws, and that includes in a car glovebox sadly.

Personally I've been using a Charge Ti for a good few years now and it's been faultless.

The charge is probably the most substantial but I would not carry it around «*just in case*».
    I personally don’t like the SOG or the Gerber but if you do that’s fine too.

But seriously, SwissTool ;)

Leatherman tool; which one?

I have several different Multi-Tools, I’ve had Leatherman since the original, and currently I have the original Supertool in my desk drawer at work (25 yrs old I think) and the Supertool 300 in my home office drawer. In the Cargo Bike I have the Gerber Centre Drive** , and in the eBike bag I have a Leatherman Crunch, finally there is a a Leatherman Skeletool in my work bag, and about a dozen others dotted around the house!

** Replacing with a Gerber Dual Force following an Xmas present.
    Last edited by robcuk; 31st December 2022 at 15:40.

Treated myself to a Leatherman Wave 20 years ago and it has been amazing. Twenty years of work including cutting turf when I did commercial grounds' maintenance. Today it's on my belt whenever I'm working on or driving trains and it has saved the day on many occasions, usually the pliers or the screwdrivers. Wouldn't be without it.

As mentioned, and worth talking round, it has locking blades therefore you need a good reason for having it if you are stopped and questioned. I've never felt concerned that I couldn't justify it in the vanishingly unlikely event I would need to either to/from my allotment or the railway depot.

Craftsman
    Had my Wave for probably 15 years and it's been brilliant. I do need to get the main blade reground as I've made a hash of trying to get the tip back. Replacement blades seem a bit spendy.

I have quite a few, and all have their uses, but if it's going to be an all-rounder, then best value would be the Wave+, or for a premium, the close to identical Charge+.

If you need something more heavy duty, The Surge won't let you down, but it is heavier as a result.

The Skeletool remains my favourite from a design point of view, but limited number of tools.

Of all I own or have tried, it's the Charge/Wave that is on my belt (with bit set) every day.

*all of the above have locking blades

Last edited by RossC; 31st December 2022 at 17:06.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had the Original since about 1991 and the Wave since about 2003 - both seen a lot of use

As a daily carry I have the PS4, which ultimately replaced my Micra

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The charge is probably the most substantial but I would not carry it around «*just in case*».
    I personally don’t like the SOG or the Gerber but if you do that’s fine too.

But seriously, SwissTool ;)
    Do all Vic SwissTools have locking blades?

I think the best choice for what you describe, specifically from Leatherman, would be the Bond. Decent tool set, non-locking for UK EDC, small and lightweight.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Same, mine arrived this morning from here
    Gents, that's illegal. Not saying it's sensible, it's just the fact of the matter. Leaving a locking blade in your glovebox contravenes UK knife law.

Of course it's unlikely to be an issue, but if you ever had your car searched for any reason you're handing the police a legitimate reason to take action against you.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Do all Vic SwissTools have locking blades?
    I am not sure but I believe they do. Mine certainly does ( the original one).

Menno is in the Netherlands which may have different rules. Plus he now lives on his estate and can carry whatever he wants there

I've carried a wave or PowerPlier for over 15 years daily. Most intelligent police officers know the difference between a tool and a weapon unless they really need to arrest you for something.

Another vote for Wave plus. I’ve had three different Waves and won’t be without one at work. I also bought a Charge for the blasting cap crimpers but I prefer the feel of the Wave. I also have several smaller Leathermans I forgot the names of stuffed away in my bike bags etc. I have used and appreciated them all, lovely tools IMO. I never did like the way Gerber or Victorinox multitools feel in the hand.

As a side note I’m sure Menno doesn’t need to worry about UK blade legislation, but some good reminders to others in the thread.

I also have a LM Wave that I used when doing anything outdoorsy. It’s now in the house as it has a locking blade. I use a LM Juice CS4 as a replacement. It doesn’t lock, but I don’t like it much as the opening and closing of tools can be fiddly.

Starting again, I’d probably go for a classic original LM PST, simple functional, not too big and heavy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I’ve got an original SuperTool which I bought 25 years ago. It’s heavy, clunky and uncomfortable in the hand but I wouldn’t change it for the world. It’s been on too many adventures over the years for me to abandon it now for a younger, sexier model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had my Leatherman Charge TTi for around 15 years now, perhaps a bit overkill for my needs but It's never let me down. Obviously the Leatherman range has changed since but one thing I'd recommend is to get one with the screwdriver/bit driver option.

Big fan of the leatherman. I own 3. Two of which are used a hell of a lot one was bought as a replacement/upgrade yet just hasn’t been used. Says something about them. Great tools.

At home and garden the Wave + is fantastic no need to go to the tool box or shed for many easy jobs and small garden jobs. Also always with me camping and caravanning.

With me at all times on my keys is the Style cs UK legal got the basics and as i’ve found used almost daily! My only quibble is the screwdriver is at the end of the file and does not feel massively strong on really tight screws. Love the fact it’s got scissors instead of pliers for me they are essential!

Then got a great deal on the Squirt Ps4 was meant to replace the Style but just hasn’t, but again a fantastic little multi tool ideal for everyday carry and perfectly legal in UK.

Honorary mention to the SAK which is a great multi tool and i’ve had it for 20+ years but just never been a daily use. I find too bulky for my pockets daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Was it this forum that had a thread on renovating a Leatherman or how to get them renovated ?

I recently found my old wave and it need stripping, but if rust cleanings off, lube and reassembly.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Was it this forum that had a thread on renovating a Leatherman or how to get them renovated ?

I recently found my old wave and it need stripping, but if rust cleanings off, lube and reassembly.
    You could try this chap.

https://bladebridge.co.uk

He sells, customises, cleans, lubricates and sharpens SAKs and multi tools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    After all this, I'm about to pay my local hardware store a visit tomorrow. As said they've LMs on display. It good to have one in hand, I suppose. And I cannot go wrong with buying one. Perhaps a little more expensive than online(?) But... a lot of online sellers have an issue: 'Back in stock next month' is a common notice I see.

At the same time: you might like this and their write-up about the various multitool-brands they're selling. (After the first paragraph above the list with watches is a 'read more' hyperlink. Interesting info when you click it.

https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/ct/multi-tools.htm

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    After all this, I'm about to pay my local hardware store a visit tomorrow. As said they've LMs on display. It good to have one in hand, I suppose. And I cannot go wrong with buying one. Perhaps a little more expensive than online(?) But... a lot of online sellers have an issue: 'Back in stock next month' is a common notice I see.

At the same time: you might like this and their write-up about the various multitool-brands they're selling. (After the first paragraph above the list with watches is a 'read more' hyperlink. Interesting info when you click it.

https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/ct/multi-tools.htm
    If you have a Blacks near you, they have all their Leatherman multi-tools on sale at the moment. Stock may be an issue though.

https://www.blacks.co.uk/br:leatherman/

Blog Entries
    Mmm I'm not in the UK. The Netherlands. (Is my English improving? )

About the rules and laws regarding knives. We're not that much different from the UK situation. And I know first hand that Dutch shops where they sell small cutlery knives for e.g. peeling potatoes / apples etc will introduce an 18+ rule. There's no law for that in the pipeline. It's a voluntary decision of the shop keepers and shop chain owners.

Youngsters carrying a knife with the intention to use it as a weapon is a worrying problem that's currently growing like mad. Has partly to do with the 'drill rap scene' etc. But how to stop that is politics and not for these pages of the forum.
    Last edited by thieuster; 1st January 2023 at 17:59.

I use my Leatherman Micra daily, mostly the scissors or knife for opening things. It fits nicely in my small jeans pocket.

I keep ming in the glovebox.
    It's invaluable.
    I used it to change the car gearbox last week.

Another vote for the Titanium Charge here. Had mine since the Bering Strait Expedition, sponsored by Maurice Lacroix. It has been faultless and used virtually daily. You mentioned sailing - I use mine on the boat, it is ideal for rigging jobs or servicing/maintenance of engines on the fly. You can't beat a proper tool kit, but the Charge is just a very handy thing to have in your pocket or bag.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post

Also interested if there's a thread on here.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

25% off the complete UK Leatherman website until midnight Sunday 8th January using the code NEWYEARTOOL at checkout.

Of full-size multitools I have LM ST300 and Victorinox SwissTool Spirit -- the Vic feels next level when it comes to quality and ergonomics compared to the LM. I also have LM Juice S2 and Squirt PS4, and they've seen the most use because as it turns out I haven't had that much of a need to use a full-size. I was interested in SOGs at some point but have never got around to getting one. HTH.

Master
    Having owned Sog, LM and Gerber and a Swisstool, my view is that LM reign supreme. Swisstool highly recommended too

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all suggestions and tips.

I went to the local hardware store and I've just returned with a Leatherman Wave+! Exactly what I want. I've ordered a bit extension tool as well. A little more expensive than the Dutch online shops, but I like to support my local hardware store. They supply everything I need for my hobbies, woodland & gardening work - and more! It's worth a few extra euros.

Last edited by thieuster; 2nd January 2023 at 14:25.

I (also) have both versions of the wave and prefer the original. But the 2nd version can take all the added bits.