closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Servicing my Rolex

Servicing my Rolex

Good morning all.

I did try the search facility for this first, but to no avail.

I can no longer ignore the fact that my DSSD ref. 116660 is in desperate need of a service, and as this will be my first experience of having any Rolex serviced I could really do with some advice.

If I give the watch to Rolex, my questions are as follows:

1) does it make any difference if I take it into Rolex St James myself or give it to my nearest AD (which would be WoS in Brent Cross)?
    2) does anyone know what Rolex currently charge for a full service on a 116660?
    3) are they going to be difficult about the fact that the watch is on a RubberB (to clarify - I don’t own the bracelet)?
    4) do I need to take in anything other than the watch itself?

My other question concerns any other options I may have i.e. are there any independent watchmakers known to the forum who could service the watch including pressure testing? What are the pros and cons of RSD vs indies?

I imagine there may be other questions I need to ask, so as usual the experience and wisdom of the tz-uk team will be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Simon

Master
    If going the RSC route I would take the watch in person if I was you as you can detail what you require in person and also you have the confidence that it’s in the system and in safe hands .

I can’t see an issue it being on a Rubber B .

I think it would be around the £600 mark ( subject to parts ) but service prices have gone up and this could be a fair bit out .

I think you could get it serviced independently but it won’t
    ( as far as I’m aware but could be wrong ) be able to be pressure tested to the full capacity.

Look forward to the comments of others and great watch BTW and massively underrated and valued in my humble opinion.

Only thing to add to the above is WoS might charge an extra £30 or so to cover their postage/admin and they have better open hours than Rolex St James who are Mon-Fri 9-5.

I'd budget £600 for the service and a bit more on top for optional works. If you did want the bracelet it's probably about £1.5k but you can call and ask this from around Tuesday. They're good by phone.

I’ve always taken directly to st James and the been very easy.

I personally would t take a watch in for service unless I knew it needed it. My last experience left the end links and bracelet poorly polished and the bracelet fixed links had to be replaced.

I do seem to recall that a rubber B may be an issue. I’d take just the head in.

Oh, and the bracelet on the deepsea will be well over £2.5k

Lots to think about.

Craftsman
    When I visited my local WoS branch a few weeks ago, I asked about getting my Milgauss serviced. They said that Rolex UK is keen to let AD's perform servicing on-site due to limited repair capacity / long waiting times within Rolex. Apparently they'd just purchased some case refinishing equipment costing tens of thousands of pounds so they could perform everything in-house. A Deep Sea would probably be a Rolex-only job considering the extreme pressure testing element, but it'd be worth asking at your branch if you have a preference as to where your watch is maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcamb330 View Post
    When I visited my local WoS branch a few weeks ago, I asked about getting my Milgauss serviced. They said that Rolex UK is keen to let AD's perform servicing on-site due to limited repair capacity / long waiting times within Rolex. Apparently they'd just purchased some case refinishing equipment costing tens of thousands of pounds so they could perform everything in-house. A Deep Sea would probably be a Rolex-only job considering the extreme pressure testing element, but it'd be worth asking at your branch if you have a preference as to where your watch is maintained.
    I have had 3 recent Rolex services - handled via Laings in Edinburgh, who advertise that they are a "Rolex-authorised Service Centre".

They sent the watches (2subs, 1SD) back to Rolex at RSC, and when I asked in conversation about them advertising the above- they were a bit vague about how much (if any) servicing they were carrying out...............

At least RSC liaise with the dealer and they pass on the message of what is required to be carried out and what is 'optional'.

I think the £600 budget is rather light - I think you will end up with an invoice of £700-£800 easily.

Master
    I bet they want to replace the crown. Let me know if I am right.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    I bet you’re right!

Thanks for the helpful responses. I think I’m going to go into WoS initially to test the water, and as suggested I’ll take the head off the RubberB before doing so.

I suspect the budget comment might be right - tbh I’d be amazed if I walked away with a bill for just £600.

@tz-uk73 you will of course recognise which watch we are talking about! Unfortunately there’s no doubt about it requiring a service - even when fully wound it randomly grinds to a halt for no apparent reason!

Im intrigued by the predictions about crown replacement. I assume Rolex has form for doing this?

Simon

It'll be interesting to see, but I suspect they may insist on a crystal replacement in addition to the crown. My 2006 YM 16622 was serviced in November and they stated the crystal was chipped and cracked and had to be replaced. Not to the naked eye, it wasn't. The service cost, Inc crown and crystal was approx £750.

A

Blog Entries
    If you are close enough - I'd go to St James and drop off in person. You can get a chance to see the refurbished space.

In my experience the staff are all very welcoming. But, I'd suggest to take lots of pictures of the watch head from various angles and back and front before you drop it off. Though you should get it back with service stickers and expect it to look like new. Should be good for another 10years.

Martyn.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I don't see why you wouldn't walk away with just the basic service cost. From my own experience, I've never been charged extra by RSC for my services (including my 11-year old 16600 when sent in for its first service in 2020). I don't baby my watches, but then I don't hammer nails in with them either. You others must use lead a much more hectic lifestyle!

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I don't see why you wouldn't walk away with just the basic service cost. From my own experience, I've never been charged extra by RSC for my services (including my 11-year old 16600 when sent in for its first service in 2020). I don't baby my watches, but then I don't hammer nails in with them either. You others must use lead a much more hectic lifestyle!
    Isn't it more about Rolex 'seeing' a slight imperfection and trying it on with a list of new parts = £££s?

Grand Master
    There’s a good reason for replacing the crown. The threads wear and the seals can deteriorate over time. It could be argued that the seals can be replaced and the condition if the crown threads could be assessed, but that’s not the Rolex way.

You choose to own the watches, you have to accept the service costs.

Given the depth rating I am sure they will.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Isn't it more about Rolex 'seeing' a slight imperfection and trying it on with a list of new parts = £££s?
    Assuming that Rolex are honest and consistent, then there must be imperfections that they feel need replacing. Either I'm more careful / have a more lackadaisical lifestyle - or perhaps RSC standards have tightened in recent years.

Grand Master
    A crystal only needs replacing if it’s cracked or there’s damage that could impair sealing integrity, small chips around the edges are cosmetic and provided the owner is happy to accept them there’s no reason to swap the crystal. It’s worth discussing these things with the guys servicing the watch, don’t be fobbed off and don’t accept bullshit explanations.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    A crystal only needs replacing if it’s cracked or there’s damage that could impair sealing integrity, small chips around the edges are cosmetic and provided the owner is happy to accept them there’s no reason to swap the crystal. It’s worth discussing these things with the guys servicing the watch, don’t be fobbed off and don’t accept bullshit explanations.
    On Submariners and Sea Dwellers, they probably take the view that a chip becomes a stress-raiser under pressure - and may propagate a crack/failure.

That said - They renewed a crystal on one submariner of mine where they must have used an electron-microscope to discern the ‘chip’ - as I had given it a close examination prior to service.

Quote Originally Posted by aamaci View Post
    It'll be interesting to see, but I suspect they may insist on a crystal replacement in addition to the crown. My 2006 YM 16622 was serviced in November and they stated the crystal was chipped and cracked and had to be replaced. Not to the naked eye, it wasn't. The service cost, Inc crown and crystal was approx £750.

A
    That’s really helpful to know, aamaci. Thank you.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    There’s a good reason for replacing the crown. The threads wear and the seals can deteriorate over time. It could be argued that the seals can be replaced and the condition if the crown threads could be assessed, but that’s not the Rolex way.

You choose to own the watches, you have to accept the service costs.
    Useful to understand, Paul, thank you. I can assure you I’m not unhappy at the potential cost of servicing my one and only Rolex - as Martyn quite rightly says, if it’s done properly then I’ll be in my late 70s before it needs any more attention!!

Simon

Good call re. the photos, Martyn, I’ll be sure to do that .

Getting into St James atm might be a bit of a headache for family reasons, but I’m going to call them there to talk to them and find out the standard cost before I go into WoS.

Now I’ve just got to get the RubberB off .

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post

Now I’ve just got to get the RubberB off .

Simon
    RSC St James will just remove the Rubber B strap for you. I have taken watches in on natos etc and there has never been an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    RSC St James will just remove the Rubber B strap for you. I have taken watches in on natos etc and there has never been an issue.
    Aah excellent, that’s one less thing to worry about

Simon