closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2023

You'll be fine. Wrist-computers don't count

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    You'll be fine. Wrist-computers don't count
    When I saw you'd posted on this thread I thought you were going to confess to buying the Damasko DSub that's now on hold in SC. I think I've been around here too long....

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    When I saw you'd posted on this thread I thought you were going to confess to buying the Damasko DSub that's now on hold in SC. I think I've been around here too long....
    I fear you know me better than I know myself. That DSub1 was a stonking bargain, and even tho' I have a DSub2 I might well have bought it - aside from the primrose yellow () it's the best-looking DSub variant imo.

I fear you know me better than I know myself. That DSub1 was a stonking bargain, and even tho' I have a DSub2 I might well have bought it - aside from the primrose yellow () it's the best-looking DSub variant imo.
    Total bargain such that even I had a moment but Imanaged to slap myself out of it. I had a DS30 for a while and it was most impressive. The DSub1 looks to be the perfect dimensions.

In other news I saw a U50 Pro on Instagram and now I want one (I'm all about no date three handers). Casual search on c24 - they are hens teeth and priced as such so my abstinence lives to fight another day.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    A yellow sub1 went on eBay for 995 not long ago and a dsub2 went for 895 on eBay both from same seller! They were good prices!

February's gone. Two out, none in so I'm -2 for the year so far. Not even had any wobbles.

Sold another cheapy the other day, so I'm one in (...which only half counts as it was ordered in 2022...), and two out so far this year.

Not stellar, but not dismaying either.

Master
    Ah, ummm. I bought a captain Cook. I sold a Christopher ward c60 bronze though, so....🤷

Still holding out this year after a couple of near misses.

SydR
    Just did a quick count and I have bought 8 watches already this year so this isn’t the thread for me!

My name is SydR and I have a watch buying problem.

Blog Entries
    Popped my cherry for this year - a 49€ Casio WS-1300H-1AVEF - as I wanted a watch that displays the tides - nice to know when visiting the coast and where to place your towel. Bit of a record for me - if I was in the UK it would have been a lot sooner.

SWMBO got a similarly functioning baby-G and wants to keep them as presents for our wedding anniversary. . . in April
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 2nd March 2023 at 19:45.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Apprentice
    Still holding out! Nothing since 15th December... and very much enjoying that purchase, the Murph 38mm.

Right, let's get this out of the way then. I have SPECTACULARLY crashed out of the process today by purchasing a full set 216570 Explorer2. In my defence it was a cracking example at a good price plus I buried my dog Lucy today and I'm beyond distraught. YOLO and all that. RIP Lucy 2009 - 2023.

I need a new roof for the house which is £40k, so I resigned myself to not buying a proper watch this year.

Then one of the quotes came in at £32k so...

Man maths says I'm still £5k better off right?

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Still holding out this year after a couple of near misses.
    ...think posting this was the kiss of death for my good intentions. Incoming...!

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    ...think posting this was the kiss of death for my good intentions. Incoming...!
    Confess all, brother. Believe me you'll feel better when you do....

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Confess all, brother. Believe me you'll feel better when you do....
    Gruppo Gamma Nexus

Master
    Last year was a bit spendy with a UN Marine diver coming home with me from Bicester.
    This year I planned to only buy a cheap holiday Gshock for summer however some freelance work has come my way which may change things. I’m currently eyeing up UN Marine Tourpilleurs or if swmbo is in a bad mood the Laco Frankfurt GMT as I don’t have a fleiger… yet.

As March draws to a close I am still sitting on 2 out and none in. Anyone else still holding out?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    As March draws to a close I am still sitting on 2 out and none in. Anyone else still holding out?
    Yes, just! Nothing since the Murph 38 in December. Would love a Santos or a B&R but can't bring myself to find 4k+ to splurge on one...

Blog Entries
    I never really pledged in... but I did say I wasn't buying really these days.

The Jura sale just saw me snare a Giuliano Mazzuoli Manometro... usual price £2700... £1458 with sale price / extra discount / free delivery.

I do have a small list of 'released but want back' pieces... and this was top of it.

I'd also snare the yellow Baume and Mercier Capeland S XX L in Ti too given condition and price / timing ... and the blue dialled black metal Anonimo Polluce that I let go. And that's me done.

Having been in this hobby long enough... I know which watches I want and which I don't. Above are the three missing 'modest re-grails' that I will cave in for.

Luckily that is a reasonably small list. One ticked off and due in a couple of weeks... two to go (no rush) whenever.

When something is slashed almost by half (and brand new), it made sense.

Last edited by gregory; 30th March 2023 at 14:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Nice one. I've swapped a watch since the last update, but no new purchases, so still one down despite the bewildering array of temptations on SC lately.

I do need to thin the herd quite a bit more yet, but as the first quarter ends, not too bad...

That me crashed and burned. Hit 50 and thought life is too short for self imposed limits and bought 2 more watches. +2 for the year ( from a starting point of a full watch box)

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    Well I'm still at N=N

The Christopher ward c60 pro bronze got sold to part fund a bronze Rado captain Cook and that's it so far.

The incoming I was expecting at start of the year still hasn't come off so I'm kind of one down on what I was expecting, but then I've determined 2 of my collection will be sold on to part fund that one so I am also one up from where I expected to be at the same time. I feel I ought to sell the two earmarked to go, but if I do then it'll be hard to resist something new while I'm continuing to wait for the expected incoming.

OK I am being tempted by the Christopher Ward Bel Canto before a supposed price rise but then I am a little torn in my decision here. Should I take the plunge and put down the deposit or just put the money towards something a little special in the future.

Not sure I pledged but I'm now 6 weeks beyond what was a 2 year self-imposed buying hiatus and I've yet to be really tempted.
    Basically anything I want I can't afford. The new Parmigiani Tondas and the Czapek Antarctiques are basically becoming grails. I don't think I'll ever snare one but each time I'm tempted by something I think of those and can't justify spending anything. Only by selling practically my whole collection could I realistically do it and I don't want to do that either!
    Such 1st World Problems...
    Woe is me...
    Etc. Etc.

Anyone else still holding the line? I have caved in and pre-ordered a C Ward Twelve. I guess I could still cancel if I change my mind between now and June however...

Master
    No change this month. Feeling very very weak currently. I don't want more, I don't dislike any I currently have, but I do fancy changing a few things! Resistant but...hmm

I have just sold a watch, and another might be going soon, but I do have an eye on replacing them both with something new that consolidates their feature-set and which I've fancied for a while, so a third will have to go to cover the cost of that and allow some cash for some much needed house refurbishment work...

There's also still a slew of cheapies needing rehoming too, but those are always difficult on here - the amount of time and faff usually outweighs the tiny sums they generate, and that's if there's any interest at-all...

Happily, not much of interest to me personally on SC at the mo, which definitely helps!

Master
    This place needs some sort of 'rent a cheap' subscription scheme. You pay a monthly fee, it covers postage, when bored the watch is put in the pre paid envelope and 3 days later something else lands on your door mat!

TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2023

Is it too late to join the abstinence club for the remainder of 2023? I have a 12-watch collection of £1,000 or less affordables. I just dropped off my 2016 PRS-82 for service, plan to get a case to consolidate the rest, and then may sell a few and start saving for the next tier.

I think I will stick to wearing this for a while:

Last edited by williemays; 1st May 2023 at 00:08.

So, we're just over half way through 2023 - how are we all doing?

In: (purch'd 2022)
    Formex Leggera Space Rock

Swapped:
    Damasko DC72 out for Sinn 756 Diapal

Out:
    Seiko Prospex SLA043J1
    Seiko 5 blue dial 7S26
    Damasko DC56
    Dekla B-Uhr
    Timex Allied Three GMT

I'm slightly bemused to find there's very little I currently fancy - perhaps an Archimede Outdoor chrono - but also painfully aware that some huge bills are incoming this year...

Craftsman
    Out

Skx 007
    Scurfa D1

In

Sinn 104

Most of my Seikos are on the chopping board now, so I don't expect to be adding numbers to my holding.

Nothing this year other than the 216570 that I've already confessed to. Current plan is not to buy anything unless something from 'my' AD list comes through...

Swapped:

Out:
    Seiko Prospex SLA043J1
    Seiko 5 blue dial 7S26
    Damasko DC56
    Dekla B-Uhr
    Timex Allied Three GMT

I'm slightly bemused to find there's very little I currently fancy - perhaps an Archimede Outdoor chrono - but also painfully aware that some huge bills are incoming this year...
    PS good show there Earl!!

Swapped:

Out:
    Seiko Prospex SLA043J1
    Seiko 5 blue dial 7S26
    Damasko DC56
    Dekla B-Uhr
    Timex Allied Three GMT

In:
    G-Shock GM-M5610

In then out:
    Grand Seiko SBGX261G (returned due to issues)
    Smiths Everest PRS-25
    Smiths Everest Expedition PRS-25EXP
    G-Shock GM-B2100BD-1AER
    G-Shock GM-2100N-2AER

Out:
    Tudor Black Bay Harrods

Ignoring G-Shocks (they don't count) and a minor flutter with trying out some Smiths, I've done well

Was sad to see the Black Bay go, but had to face the truth that it was a bit big for me.

I had ordered a Seiko SNE569P1 as I do want to add a nice solar quartz, but the retailer cancelled due to stock so now holding out for a good price on one of those. Tempted to let my Sub go but worried I might regret it. It's great, but closing in on a year of ownership now and I find myself quite rarely wearing it, largely I think due to the social baggage (for want of a better term) that comes with it.

I have a wry eye on a trinity watch in the future, who knows, think I could live happily with an Explorer (everyday), Seiko (beater) and a relatively casual trinity piece. We're very fortunate to have our first child arriving towards the end of the year which also somewhat focuses the mind (admittedly swinging intermittently between 'get rid of needless trinkets' to 'perfect excuse for a trinity buy' - lol!). Choices choices.

Master
    Ahh. We'll errr.... what can I say!

OK, in. I'm mostly in. I gave up on the member here giving me the run around on my grail, the incoming I said was on its way back at the start of this thread. Instead when I realised I could get a better deal from a Japanese dealer via chrono24 I bought and am a very happy owner of a zenith chronomaster sport white dial on bracelet. Oh yes!

The awkwardness is because I thought the deal was dead I'd spent some of my fund upgrading my beater (cw c60 Pro bronze) to a rado captain Cook. So the captain Cook must must must go. That would leave me beater- less though... so I bought a steinhart ocean 1 39 mm.
    So currently I'm up 1 watch on my promise.
    3 to sell, a bronze captain Cook, a seiko spb081j1/sbdc059 and a seijo snr035 (hopefully off to another member and origins owner once I get it out the safe and boxed up)

Not great.... but could be worse.... especially given the mkII Nasau and the sbga029 currently on sales Corner.... I'm tryingto do man maths so I can fit them in but... well...t you know!

Out!

One just arrived and another four are in transit.

Having anything to do with this thread was the immediate death knell for my good intentions.

Maybe 2024...?

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

I’m doing ok, I think I may be circling down to my final 3 watches which will leave me exiting the year at minus 1.

Craftsman
    Stupid Jura sale!
    I need to go on another ten year hiatus.

Quote Originally Posted by neuman356 View Post
    Stupid Jura sale!
    I need to go on another ten year hiatus.
    I'm mostly avoiding clicking on 'PSA' links now, and am gradually unsubscribing from makers' email lists and social media feeds.

We need a Watch-o-holics Anonymous 10-step program really...

I had a wobble today when I spotted Nivada Grenchen's homage to its own 'Paul Newman' dialled Chronoking - great looking watch. If it wasn't for the aluminium bezel (yuk) I might have relapsed...

Slight positive update, as one more went out for the fundraiser:

Swapped:
    Damasko DC72 out ---> Sinn 756 Diapal in

Out:
    Seiko Prospex SLA043J1
    Seiko 5 blue dial 7S26
    Damasko DC56
    Dekla B-Uhr
    Timex Allied Three GMT
    Nautica NAPPRF003

Six out for the year feels a worthwhile step in the right direction, even if three were cheapies...

Craftsman
    I'm mostly avoiding clicking on 'PSA' links now, and am gradually unsubscribing from makers' email lists and social media feeds.

We need a Watch-o-holics Anonymous 10-step program really...
    That sounds like a plan, I bought five since February, two were quite cheap though...
    That's a Seagull 1963, a Newmark Waterking, an automatic PRX, a Baltic MR01 and now a Baume and Mercier Clifton Baumatic.
    I was also quite tempted by the silver dial Nomos Tetra they had on sale but I at least managed to avoid that.

I had a wobble today when I spotted Nivada Grenchen's homage to its own 'Paul Newman' dialled Chronoking - great looking watch. If it wasn't for the aluminium bezel (yuk) I might have relapsed...
    Ooh, I like that!

I had a close wobble on another BB58 Blue plus that GS GMT on SC. All good though. No purchases made.

Added a mint GMT LN to the collection. In fairness I've had a particularly good year so sorry not sorry.

Had a MAJOR wobble when Damasko issued the DC96...

...then I saw the price...

Thanks Damasko. Saved me from myself.

Can I register my interest to join the abstinence club next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Can I register my interest to join the abstinence club next year?
    You may indeed. Even at this early stage I can't say for certain that I'll be joining you though....

Master
    Had a MAJOR wobble when Damasko issued the DC96...

...then I saw the price...

Thanks Damasko. Saved me from myself.
    If you need to offload the 756 to satisfy your conscience, I’m happy to help

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    If you need to offload the 756 to satisfy your conscience, I’m happy to help

Chortle! NFC!