closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2023

TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2023

So having achieved more than I pledged to in 2022 regarding watch abstinence I feel I'm well placed to kick off 2023's TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club. Well that's probably doomed it!

Anyway, I will be taking delivery of a brand new BB58 Blue tomorrow. It's the one watch I've missed the most since it left my collection after the 2022 cull. I managed to get it at a VERY good price via Chrono24, even more so when one considers the imminent price rise. That's how I've justified it to myself anyway!

So, for 2023 I hearby declare that I will not purchase another watch for the rest of 2023. There are 2 exceptions. I'm on the list for a no date sup and an OP41. If either or both come up, I will buy. Otherwise, nada.

Who's with me then?

Nice one

I am here to signify my doomed good intentions.

Doomed from the outset because I ordered something a couple of weeks ago that should arrive in 2023.

Nonetheless, it's my ambition to sell more than I buy this year - I managed in 2021, failed dismally in 2022, and must regroup for 2023.

As we have some cripplingly expensive (re-)building works scheduled for later this year, expect a panic-stricken fire-sale at some point...

Master
    Yeah I'm in. My watch fund is about to go well into debt when I collect the zenith chronomaster recently purchased via an internet den of temptation ( sales corner). I therefore really ought to try much harder to shift my sbdc059/spb081 AND remain in abstinence. I'll promise to try very hard.

I just don't have the willpower I'm afraid. Already got my sights on a UN San Marco and another chronograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    I just don't have the willpower I'm afraid. Already got my sights on a UN San Marco and another chronograph.
    To be fair, you might not owe as much to the bank as I do!

Well, no sooner had I posted ^the above b*ll*cks^ than I see this new release from Dievas:

Sure it's many people's idea of hideous, but it ticks soooooo many boxes for yours-truly that it hurts...

I may actually Fail at 2023 while it's still 2022...

See you in 2024 - I'll be the divorced, homeless guy leering at watches in a cardboard box in an underpass...

I'm buying a basic Grand Seiko (SBGX261G) for work and selling a Tudor (79230G). If I can stick to that, I'm happy

If I can survive today I'm in, currently sitting in Liverpool Street waiting for the kids to get their photo at platform 9 3/4.

Then off to Oxford Street, if I can survive a trip to bucherer ( Tudor bronze) I should be in for the year.

New year celebrations tonight then a flight back to the frozen north in a couple of days

Although if I buy today I can still be in....

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Lets try, no promises, but no watches do not means no straps!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Hmmmm, it always seems so easy, and turns out to be so hard!

Apprentice
    I'm heading into 2023 with:

Tudor BB GMT
    Nomos Metro 38mm
    Grand Seiko SBGV223
    Hamilton Murph 38mm
    G-Shock square GMW-B5000MB-1

The Murph being the latest acquisition. I have a Serica on the for-sale pile that the Murph supplanted.

It's a pretty happy five-watch collection for me. I never used chronos and don't really need a pure diver, and my sizing sweet spot is 37-41. I've got a mix of materials, dial colours, movements, countries of origin, and from dress to field.

In other words, I should totally be in the WPAC for 2023.

Things are pretty tight moneywise, but that isn't stopping me from dreaming of just a few watches for 2023. These are the ones that may make me fall off the wagon.

A Santos has been on my list for a while -- I had been after a Reverso for years, but gradually my tastes have changed to the sportier Santos. If money plays ball, this is realistically what I'd buy.

And very much in the vein of the Santos, there's the Bell & Ross BR05, specifically the all-matte Horolum boutique edition. Criminally overpriced at Ł4,500 but I still really want it. And it's Ł1,500 cheaper than the Santos, of course.

I have a long-standing 'nearly' with the Fears Brunswick White, but it's too close in purpose to the Nomos Metro IMHO. There are a few watches like that for me, actually. For example, Tudor's 925 is still on my list, but since I have the BB GMT it makes no sense.

Sinn's U1 and U50 have hovered in the shopping cart many times over the years too, although since I have no need of a diver my head has so far prevailed over the heart.

I like what Oris is doing, but truthfully I haven't found the right model to fit into the lineup. Same with Zenith for that matter.

So, that's the lay of the land. We'll see how it pans out in 12 months!

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I'm buying a basic Grand Seiko (SBGX261G) for work and selling a Tudor (79230G). If I can stick to that, I'm happy
    Still time to update my pledge... just bought the SBGX261G, so no incomings now intended for 2023

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Anyway, I will be taking delivery of a brand new BB58 Blue tomorrow. It's the one watch I've missed the most since it left my collection after the 2022 cull. I managed to get it at a VERY good price via Chrono24, even more so when one considers the imminent price rise. That's how I've justified it to myself anyway!
    Bit of an update. The BB58 blue came today but had a dink in the coin edge bezel. The dealer hadn't sized the bracelet either so back it goes. Just deciding if I've enough will power to say no purchases at all this year (save for the 2 AD list pieces if they come through)???

Craftsman
    Gonna give it my best shot. Am planning on just enjoying what I have in my current collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My "watch fund" is down to the three-digits, so I guess I'm abstaining.

Craftsman
    I managed just one last year, a nice Seiko Skyflake so i will give it a go this year..

I’m still obsessing over my CWC Fatboy so I’m definitely in. If I can make it through 2023 without buying another watch I think I am in danger of being cured.

Grand Master
    Definitely abstention for me, the only watches I`m interested in are vintage Omegas and I've got plenty of those. On a slightly different tack, I have a Zenith El Primero chronograph with silver dial and thin silver hands, it's a super watch but difficult to read in anything other than bright daylight. The watch was offered with a choice of silver or black dial, the black dial has totally different hands and will be far more legible, so I could swap the dial/handset over. LVMH are tightening up their policy of supplying parts from next September, currently I can get the hands and dial but that will change, so I've a limited opportunity to make the change. Only drawback is the cost, which is the wrong side of Ł400.....at least I won`t charge myself for fitting! The watch would be transformed, I know I`d enjoy it more, so it almost qualifies as a new watch for Ł400.

I really ought to sell a few this year, I`m getting no younger and I`ve got too many to wear regularly. However, one glaring omission is a nice blue-dialled steel bracelet watch, I`ve owned a Rolex 14000 Air-King, an Omega Aqua Terra 36mm, a 116200 Datejust and a 116000 OP36 in the past at different times and all had nice blue dials. Should've kept the Aqua Terra, that's the one I regret selling most, but nice used examples with the 2500C movement go for more than I`d wish to pay so that ship has sailed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This year will be like the last two since I retired. I used to think nothing of dropping 5k on a watch that took my fancy, but I then took a decision (well my wife did) and thinned my watches for what I required for my life. My only purchase as been a cheapo Summer watch just before Christmas. Disposable income is now for expensive cruise’s, so I am told. All I know they are a lot dearer than watches
    Last edited by hilly10; 4th January 2023 at 20:53.

Craftsman
    I only lasted 3 days :)

If bracelets count, I’m out already. If not, I’m still good. Either way I’m not gonna last long. I’m weak.

Master
    Was about to sign up to this but the dealer just called and offered me a Skydweller blue on jubilee.

I swear cocaine would cost me less money.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Was about to sign up to this but the dealer just called and offered me a Skydweller blue on jubilee.

I swear cocaine would cost me less money.
    Curious. A friend just got a blue SkyDweller on Oyster yesterday. Apparently the first deliveries of the new year aren't until mid Jan so this is leftover stock from Christmas.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Curious. A friend just got a blue SkyDweller on Oyster yesterday. Apparently the first deliveries of the new year aren't until mid Jan so this is leftover stock from Christmas.
    I know this dealers schedule ( when they they are advised what stock they will receive, when it’s delivered, when they get approvals for in demand pieces, when they make the calls, etc). I don’t think this is pre-Christmas stock.

I collected my Daytona in December and they didn’t have these.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 5th January 2023 at 12:29.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I have also had a call for an OP for the wife so seems the January delivery may have come early!

Perhaps a couple to sell, but currently nothing I'm excited about.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Bit of an update. The BB58 blue came today but had a dink in the coin edge bezel. The dealer hadn't sized the bracelet either so back it goes. Just deciding if I've enough will power to say no purchases at all this year (save for the 2 AD list pieces if they come through)???
    Right, decision made. No purchases this year with the exception of the two waiting list AD pieces if they ever come up. I've just realised I can pay my mortgage off in 5 years if I dont make any significant purchases.

Master
    I was lucky enough to get a Tudor FXD 3 days ago, that'll be my watch for the year. I bought a Black Bay 41mm last February and it was the only purchase last year. If I can make it through '23 with the FXD as my only purchase I'll be happy.

I'm in.

I bought 5 watches last year, but plan to reduce the number I own this year and only add something exceptional and only then if sales cover the cost.

So, I'll probably end up with a dozen KS newcomers!

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    I'm in, on a net basis. Last year I managed to get the collection down to 3: a diver, an office watch and a G-Shock + my one 'slip', a San Martin homage. The diver could easily double up as an office watch, leaving the current one vulnerable. My financial situation only seems to worsen nowadays so necessity will have to be the mother of virtue in 2023.

I’m in. I have just purchased an Apple Watch for health reasons, but I’ll be slimming down the daily beaters and being that weirdo who wears an Apple Watch and a normal watch!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I have nothing planned, but you know how it is....

I'll be happy if I can continue to fine tune my small collection, with a further reduction in numbers.

Had quite a few in's and outs in 2022 but went from 18 to 14. If I can get this to 10 or less I'll consider it a successful year.

Craftsman
    Having recently retired, the ability to buy on a whim is over, so I need to try and abstain. I thought I'd be clever and bought a watch on 30th Dec that is still on its way from the USA, with a plan to then avoid purchasing in 2023......... that all went to rats thanks to the Christopher Ward sale where I have just taken delivery of an Aquitaine. Apart from the incoming and the CW, I'm done....... well possibly.

Master
    I paid for a FXD on the 30th Dec and received it on 4th Jan so it is probably a question of semantics.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I paid for a FXD on the 30th Dec and received it on 4th Jan so it is probably a question of semantics.
    Nah you're good, you bought that watch in 2022.

Eight days in, one watch sold - woot!

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Eight days in, one watch sold - woot!
    Nice one. Ironically the Dekla was tempting me to break my vow!

I actually cancelled a pre-order I had made late December so I have made it 9 days with no incomings (or outgoings!).

Funny cuz it's true

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    One month in, nothing bought yet. I've seen a few cheaper watches on SC they have made me think, 'oh it's only a few hundred...'. But no, I've been able to resist. So far. Not convinced I'll last the year mind, but one month down successfully!

It’s not April 1st…

WIS’ can use the same formula cyclists use for number of bikes. Correct number to have is N+1 (N being current number) or the more accurate S-1 (S being number it takes for your spouse to divorce you).

Also, this being the 42nd post in the thread gives it a certain Adamsian gravitas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

January gone and no purchases. Not seemed that difficult on reflection although the depleted bank account may be a factor.

Craftsman
    Failed in the first month.....

On the plus side its one in one out so no gains.

OK, now I'm joining. DC82 on wrist, PAM coming back from the menders tomorrow. That's it!

Master
    Having been bought my significant birthday Pelagos by my wife last year, I was convinced that I was done and didn't need another watch and that I should in fact sell probably three of the stable.
    Of course having bought the wife a Moonswatch and a Steinhart Metropole whilst on holiday, I had to try on a Seiko SPB143 and now I have one more watch than I need.
    I really do need to get rid of a few now.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    OK, now I'm joining. DC82 on wrist, PAM coming back from the menders tomorrow. That's it!

Just had notice that the last of 2022's purchases is being posted...

In the unlikely event that it isn't stolen en-route, then it will be reset time.

With two out fairly recently, I sort of feel on top of things-ish, but there is work to do...

Blog Entries
    Regrettably no watches bought this year so far. Only 11 more months to go.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Journeyman
    only made it past Jan and already went into the AD to see what is around. Low hopes for this year

Craftsman
    I also have the idea of not buying any watches this year. But most likely I will fail once Samsung releases the new smart watches in August.

Sent from my POCO F2 Pro using Tapatalk