closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Beater diver recommendations

Master
    Blog Entries

Beater diver recommendations

Morning, I'm willing away a pretty grey and wet morning by looking at options for a daily wearing, who cares about it, diver.

There are so many brands and models in this area I'm less familiar with, and want to draw on the collective WISdom.

Parameters are:
    37-40mm (41 max if it wears small)
    Steel
    Not bothered about a bracelet
    Up to £1200 new or used, but happy to spend far less.

So far I've been looking at options like new Zodiac SSW, Baby Dreadnought, MOD spec CWC or used Breitlings, but I'm certain there are treasures to be discovered.

Cheers.

I’m sure you could get an old Breitling SuperOcean for around that money. They are worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having been on a bit of a journey from Seiko and Citizen through to Sinn, my choices would both be quartz:

CWC Diver
    Seiko 7548 for something vintage

Dave

Second hand EZM2 (the original version)
    40mm across and 11.5mm thick
    Quartz grab and go
    Interesting tech and a true divers watch (tested to over 5,000m), the luminova dials have pretty good lume (not seiko quality though)
    I love mine.

Failing that:
    Seiko Turtle - it’s a Seiko divers watch, it’s what they do best,
    CWC divers watch - great quality, L dials have good lume, can only use NATOs if this is an issue for you.
    Marathon GSAR - a great watch, fantastic tritium lume, built like a tank, utilitarian good looks, quite thick for a 40mm dive watch. Looks great on any strap.

I own all (have owned the seiko) and all would be a great choice IMO but would likely go EZM2 if it were my only beater watch. The Seiko was moved on after not much time as I found it a bit boring. But it is the sensible choice.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 28th December 2022 at 11:53.

Journeyman
    A Steinhart Ocean One has been my daily beater for a few years now, and I'm very happy with it. It's a 42mm, but they have quite a few very nice options in 39mm.

If they catch your eye, it would be worth also checking out the Gnomon watch shop as they tend to have exclusive collaborations with Steinhart, particularly in 39mm (of which I have 2...)

Squale is another option I'm fond of and might be worth considering.

Hope that's of use!

There's a lovely Brietling Colt on SC right now, perfect beater watch...

Seiko monster 42mm but wear smaller in my experience.

Bomb proof and can be had for around £350

Personally, I would not spend more than £800 (yes I know that even that much is silly!) for a beater watch!

Anymore than that then it becomes more of a luxury wear for me!

TAG Heuer Aquaracer (41MM)

Scurfa D1 is a surprisingly good watch imho and you can get plenty of different colours, dials, finishes etc and there’s an excellent bracelet too alongside a very good supplied rubber strap. Choice of date and non date too.

Titanium Helm Vanuatu.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Scurfa D1 is a surprisingly good watch imho and you can get plenty of different colours, dials, finishes etc and there’s an excellent bracelet too alongside a very good supplied rubber strap. Choice of date and non date too.
    That’s a good suggestion, it’s the definition of a beater watch. simple, reliable and is designed and produced to take a beating whilst being used as intended and all at a price that is almost disposable. (compared to other watches often listed as beaters, it is a total bargain. The Ti version could be the perfect watch in lots of ways)

Craftsman
    I'd suggest looking at a Clemence Photic diver.

I've got one and the dimensions are spot on for what you're looking for at 39mm diameter with a lug to lug of 47mm. 200m water resistance as well. I found them a pleasure to deal with.

https://www.clemencewatches.com/

The watch press gives them good reviews as well

https://wornandwound.com/review/clem...-photic-diver/

https://www.fratellowatches.com/clem...h-review/#gref

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. The scurfa looks good, I'm currently wearing one of their rubber straps and the quality is great. None showing in stock though in any colour, the orange titanium really appeals.

Some are too big for me, like the Marathon gsar and Sinn. The Breitling is a nice watch but as mentioned I could probably increase the "don't give a flip about it" factor with the cheaper ones.

So far the baby dreadnought, scurfa and CWC are in the lead...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    I'd suggest looking at a Clemence Photic diver.

I've got one and the dimensions are spot on for what you're looking for at 39mm diameter with a lug to lug of 47mm. 200m water resistance as well. I found them a pleasure to deal with.

https://www.clemencewatches.com/

The watch press gives them good reviews as well

https://wornandwound.com/review/clem...-photic-diver/

https://www.fratellowatches.com/clem...h-review/#gref
    Really nice but nothing for sale at the moment 😔

Seiko 007 diver?

Has always been my beater.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Seiko SPB143. Brilliant watch. I got mine brand new for about £790 and regret selling it. Not sure I personally would call it a beater but it’s built very well and would stand up to a fair bit of rigorous desk diving :-).

Currently £880 here:

https://www.hillierjewellers.co.uk/m...iABEgLlcPD_BwE
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 28th December 2022 at 16:26.

Stretch the budget a little and a used Sinn U50 should be obtainable with some patience - properly bombproof beater.

Seiko's various 'modern reinterpretations' of their 1965 diver / 62 MAS - SPB143, SPB145, SPB147, SPB213, SPB239, SPB253, SPB297 - are all 40mm, all have hardened steel cases, and can be had new ~£1K or less in sales -

Or closer to the dirt-cheap end of the spectrum, MWC may be forum-unfriendly, but both of my divers by them have proven great watches for peanuts, and their customer service was great, too. The Tritium tubes are a nice touch at night, and the sapphire crystal and ceramic bezels help with scratch-resilience. Military Diver as below is just £256 -

Craftsman
    I am the owner of the Breitling Colt mentioned earlier .I have owned 7 Breitlings since 1990s and this Colt is the most wearable/versatile compared to the Superoceans ive had. Here it is on the wrist and for comparison my own actual beater watch, a Spinnaker Croft Midsize which i highly recommend as a beater diver style watch for the real world.

Master
    A couple of mine and some ideas.

And the 'Surfboard'

Craftsman
    I would second the Scurfa recommendation.

The titanium on a bracelet is one heck of a value proposition.

Or a Seiko 5.

Not technically a diver as non screw down crown, but great vale and choices.
    Last edited by timor54; 28th December 2022 at 18:21.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer2016 View Post
    A Steinhart Ocean One has been my daily beater for a few years now, and I'm very happy with it. It's a 42mm, but they have quite a few very nice options in 39mm.

If they catch your eye, it would be worth also checking out the Gnomon watch shop as they tend to have exclusive collaborations with Steinhart, particularly in 39mm (of which I have 2...)

Squale is another option I'm fond of and might be worth considering.

Hope that's of use!
    Someone after my own heart there! I have a Steinhart Ocean 1 in 39mm and a Squale Ocean blue. The Steinhart would make a great daily\beater but is at a quality above it's price point. The Squale IMO is slightly ahead in terms of quality tho.

It sounds like this is returning soon:

https://www.timefactors.com/collecti...y-diver-prs-82

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. The scurfa looks good, I'm currently wearing one of their rubber straps and the quality is great. None showing in stock though in any colour, the orange titanium really appeals.

Some are too big for me, like the Marathon gsar and Sinn. The Breitling is a nice watch but as mentioned I could probably increase the "don't give a flip about it" factor with the cheaper ones.

So far the baby dreadnought, scurfa and CWC are in the lead...
    They re-stock quite regularly - and when they do they seem to have enough to satisfy demand for a few weeks

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    It sounds like this is returning soon:

https://www.timefactors.com/collecti...y-diver-prs-82
    Where did you read about this be re released? I’ve not seen anything.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    I’m sure you could get an old Breitling SuperOcean for around that money. They are worth a look.

Or a Breitling Colt, which is more or less the same watch by a different name.

Journeyman
    For a beater , a Seiko skx or turtle is ideal

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Where did you read about this be re released? I’ve not seen anything.

30 Nov store email

I think Eddie or Dave mentioned this on the forums also but I cannot find that at the moment

30 Nov store email

I think Eddie or Dave mentioned this on the forums also but I cannot find that at the moment
    It was Timefactors group on Facebook:

I may have missed this here on TZ-UK, but from Facebook it sounds like the PRS-82 will eventually return with Sellita SW200 movements and stainless steel bracelets.

Beater diver recommendations

I forgot the size brief before I posted this:

Marloe Sceptre. A little over £300 with their 10% off offer. There are a few colour options.

D

Last edited by helidoc; 29th December 2022 at 01:57. Reason: Ignored size brief :(

Journeyman
    Looks ok for £37:

Now, before everyone jumps down my throat for posting a cheap Quartz dive style watch, this is cheap enough to be a beater, well specced enough to be a beater, but dressy enough to be pressed into more formal duties if required.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234746669...e196%7Ciid%3A1
    Last edited by Barchettaman; 29th December 2022 at 11:17.

Craftsman
    Just posted this in the incoming thread

host an image

Helson Sharkmaster. 40.5mm, ETA2824. Loving it so far, and it was £530.

Master
    You said steel which is fine but I'll just point out, a bronze watch can be a fabulous beater. The patina they gain covers any scratches and dinks. I love my Christopher ward c60 pro bronze. That's 43mm though so to big for you but I'm sure there are smaller bronze divers...errm, Oris?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Possibly sorted for now, jumped on the zodiac liberty offer so will try it and if not suitable will return and keep looking. Cheers.

Craftsman
    I wouldn’t consider £1200 beater territory personally, but Oris diver 65 can be found at this sort of price. I’d go for Seiko turtle or samurai. The king versions for both these models are great watches.

I know you're sorted but just to add if you're not set on a mechanical then a solar quartz movement makes a lot of sense for a dive watch, no need to take the back off and compromise the waterproofness. I've a JDM Seiko solar diver that is 39mm and perfect for summer, in and out of the pool etc, I can just forget I'm wearing it.

Also highly recommend the Seiko Solar. Just bought one on here from ENES and I have to say it is an amazing watch. I was a quartz snob but this watch has completely changed my view on this.

This looks good value as there is an extra 10% off the price.
    https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...o-diver-zo3552

Apprentice
    Don’t discount the Longines Hydroconquest. I have a 41mm green that is just a head turner!! And the price for that quality is excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Another shout for a solar seiko...scurfa a good call too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Titanium Helm Vanuatu.
    This exactly. Wears smaller than its dimensions, tough, excellent clarity, 300m.

PRS-68. £335, so lots of your budget left for straps. 40.6mm meaured across from 9 - 3. Doesn't wear too large, perhaps because of the dial size and 18mm lugs.

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Lots of take good suggestions. I'll add a few thoughts. For a real beater a bronze watch has assume advantages as the patina soon masks any scratches, particularly a copper tin bronze and a lower tin content CuSn6 which will patina faster. There are a few good options in price and well within if bought pre owned. I just sold a Christopher ward c60 pro bronze back to redmonaco and that suited the role well, although at 43mm that one was large. I think there are smaller options though.

Other ideas, a used Oris (although again they tend to be large). Or a Tissot seastar. I've not handled a Tissot yet but they look good.... Might be too large again though, not sure. The powermatic 80 (ETA C07) movement they have seems good.
    Or a used Rado captain Cook 37mm? Not sure but I think the steel ones would be in budget used.

Master
    Something a bit left field like a Unimatic?

C Ward Trident Pro 300?

I genuinely don’t think you can get better value for £700 than these. Comes in 38, 40 or 42mm, white, black, green or blue variations. 60/60 guarantee, solid movement, lumed ceramic bezel. If you spring a bit extra and get it on the bracelet they are even better - great quality and include quick release spring bars and on the fly adjustment.