closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Back from a service and repair / spa: my old Omega electronic SMf300 120m Seamaster

Blog Entries

Back from a service and repair / spa: my old Omega electronic SMf300 120m Seamaster

Well as mentioned recently I have been sitting on this for a good decade.. sat in my watch box.

I was considering selling it 'as is' for parts perhaps... then had an epiphany / sudden change of heart.

I looked at what I would get for it broken on the bay... then messaged our very own Paul (Silver Hawk.. who sadly hasn't posted on here for a while), mulled over costs... and then decided to keep... so off she went to him for a make over.

There is a lot of satisfaction with this as it was great to rescue an old watch. Especially as it was already in my possession.

It needed a new crown, and preferably a new bezel. By the time we looked at this project with each other, with the understanding that these parts needed to be removed from a brand new case anyway (which he had in his possession), we discussed prices and simply went with a new case which contained all what I required.

She also had a full service, the second hand repainted, and the bracelet had a breathe over.

The dial / hands etc are the ones that were already on the watch... which adds some vintage feel about it... but it pretty much is of course in newish condition having had a new head.

Please accept my apologies for rubbish photography. There is the odd smudge and hair there. But you get the general idea.

Before:

and now after....

Greg
    Last edited by gregory; 27th December 2022 at 00:22.

Well done on saving that from from the parts bin, totally the right decision. That looks great, it’s right up my street. I’d enjoy wearing that.

Master
    Oh yes, now that's excellent! Just lovely to see a vintage f300 come back to life. Looks as wonderful as they did new.

Great work from Paul.

Master
    I love a happy ending.

Definitely a wise decision

Sent from a technical device.

Master
    very nice indeed :)

Love a restoration thread! Enjoyed this one thanks for sharing the story and a great looking watch at the end, enjoy wearing it.
    Jon

Beautiful, well saved!

Master
    I Really like threads like this , a cool looking watch and good for years of enjoyment now .

That's turned out nice .
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Great piece of work and lovely to see a tasty 70s Omega back on the wrist. Thanks for the update to your earlier post.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

That is a great result, it looks fab!

Master
    That’s superb! One thing that brought me to luxury watches was the knowledge they can be referbished to look almost new.

Excellent result, very nicely done.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    When Omega made proper watches! (Tongue in cheek of course).
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    Interesting the congratulatory comments this rebuild has attracted and yet the submariner thread in which Rolex had swapped out the bezel, hands and bracelet was as negative as this is positive.

I’m all for making things look great so I’d be really happy with the work done on this omega, what a difference between the brands though!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    Interesting the congratulatory comments this rebuild has attracted and yet the submariner thread in which Rolex had swapped out the bezel, hands and bracelet was as negative as this is positive.

I’m all for making things look great so I’d be really happy with the work done on this omega, what a difference between the brands though!
    Oh ok.

I didn’t know of any thread getting any negativity to be honest.

Maybe it’s because this was going to the scrapyard and it’s rare to see these old f300 models getting ‘rescued.’

This even had to have the old case literally ‘cut in two’ to get things out / moving, and the rare movement serviced.

Plus the underlying story to this is that it’s been sat gathering dust here in the box for several years? Plus it’s not been looked at by any large corporation (as may the Rolex also, I’ve not looked). It’s an old 52 year watch, forgotten about by a tz member, sent off to another tz member for repair, and rescued. All within tz.

As for the Rolex thread. I’m not invested in them (or this brand), but I love to see any dead watch getting rescued. Was it on its last legs as well? Awesome if it was and was rescued!

This was a watch the OP almost 'threw in the bin' after years and years of ownership, versus someone asking opinion on a twenty grand one they have no real idea about.

Master

This is infinitely more interesting than your thread to be honest. May explain it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    This was a watch the OP almost 'threw in the bin' after years and years of ownership, versus someone asking opinion on a twenty grand one they have no real idea about.
    Yeah.... have had a look and I do think that they are different threads, context wise.

Well I have had a look at the thread... is it the one that you yourself started regarding the red line Sub?

I think that the threads are absolutely poles apart, contextually. Just my humble opinion.

You are seeking advice on a watch that has been kept up with, service wise, with a view to buying?

I am simply putting pics up of my resurrected watch.

You seemed to be asking advice also on perhaps purchasing the Sub?

And people commented about how they feel something vintage should appear?

So an advice and reply thread? Not all opinions will be in agreement with yours on the watch. But surely that is a good thing? Getting critique from the personal viewpoints of many people, some in agreement and some conficting? Surely that is the beauty of a place like this? There are people who love things as new, and people who like patina and wabi. We are all able to deliver valid opinions.

So yeah... I really don't understand the need to come onto my thread here and say what you did.

They are absolutely poles apart.

As for the Red Sub. I am not a purist, nor a Rolex fan NOR am I an Omega fan.

I judge watches on merit alone. And I think it's a handsome looking watch, for the record.

I wouldn't pay £20k for it, however I wouldn't pay £20k for a watch anyway, the way the hobby is taking me.

I have had all kinds of corking watches myself, and lost a lot of interest. I got more excitement this evening by using my new watch repair kit and taking the back off my Speedie Professional, removing the movement and managing to get a new pusher in / fitted and seeing that IT WORKS. I am like... no way did I do that. Seriously... Captain Hamfist actually put a pusher in an Omega. I need a lie down. LMAO!

Cheers and all the best,

Greg.

Brilliant job and very lucky to find a NOS complete case for this model, the bezel alone is unobtainium. I used i own the strapper case version of this watch and loved it, hugely overlooked model. Of all the watches I've sold that's probably the one I miss the most.

Congrats on bringing this one back from the grave, always lovely to see especially when cost can outstrip the actual value, that makes it all the more special and proves a love of the watch instead of just looking after a trinket investment. Great thread to read.

EDIT why not post a pic of my old beauty....

Last edited by Tetlee; 29th December 2022 at 12:39.

Blog Entries
    Thank you to all who have commented / contributed. Your comments are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Brilliant job and very lucky to find a NOS complete case for this model, the bezel alone is unobtainium. I used i own the strapper case version of this watch and loved it, hugely overlooked model. Of all the watches I've sold that's probably the one I miss the most.

Congrats on bringing this one back from the grave, always lovely to see especially when cost can outstrip the actual value, that makes it all the more special and proves a love of the watch instead of just looking after a trinket investment. Great thread to read.

EDIT why not post a pic of my old beauty....

Yeah... amazingly, when these first came out for their limited time, they were the most expensive Omega on the market.

The cost was okay. I was thinking of getting rid and I saw one in good condition on eBay and it was worth about a grand more than what the repair was for this. So worth it in the long run. To sell would probably see me 'break even' or profit slightly if I was to... but I am not bothering now. It's all about the effort / pleasure now to me.

Indeed about the cases / rarity. I needed a new crown and bezel for this... and Paul was going to have to remove the bezel from the case anyway. By the time he would have dismantled it to take what I need... he quoted me just an extra £150 to have the complete new case. Rather than borrow this and that from it. Mine also had the wrong caseback also, something I hadn't realised or considered.

So rather than messing about.. I told him to crack on and replace. Parts / cases etc aren't gonna be getting more common anytime soon. He had only TWO in stock and he really is the electronic officionado on here / here in the UK. We are lucky to have him. And if HE only has two... they are officially rocking horse poop. A wise choice.

Greg

* Edit to reply to your edit...

GREAT pic... and yeah... I am sure you miss it. Thank you.
    Last edited by gregory; 29th December 2022 at 12:50.

Master
    I love my F300 chrono. It gets a fair amount of wrist time . I tell people to hold it to their ear to hear the “ticking”…. Then tell them its powered by a small nuclear reactor and that they should avoid having any X-Rays for the next 12 months.

I might just see about getting it revamped with the remaining case . I’d love a new bezel .