closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC Fatboy-80 Reissue Long Term Review

CWC Fatboy-80 Reissue Long Term Review

This is a follow up to my original post here:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Reissue-Review

And apologies in advance for this slightly self-indulgent post.

I’ve owned the Fatboy Reissue for 12 months now and it has been the most worn watch of the year, and in the last 3 months pretty much the only watch I’ve worn.

It lives on a Nylon NATO strap at night and if I wear it to do any jobs in the garden or DIY.

Otherwise a selection of single pass leather straps are used, including a black one from our resident strap-maker legend, Jan (Vekslak) which makes it almost dressy, as well as one of his tan Italian Calf single passes in Tan/Cognac.

My original comments still stand. I love the plexiglass, the case profile and virtually zero-maintenance quartz movement.

It’s not exactly a cheap watch, but it is relative to most other watches in this hobby and it doesn’t feel so precious that I ever worry about wearing it any time or place.

I’ve found wearing it on a variety of straps makes it to be a flexible and suited to pretty much any occasion and location that I find myself in. The fixed lugs mean you can swap straps petty much instantly without any tools which I really really like.

Any negatives - arguably water resistance, but it’s actually ended up feeling quite liberating to not overthink it and just take a watch off if I go swimming.

I still have a PRS-29AM Air Ministry for when I want my mechanical movement “hit”. I love wearing it, it’s Eddie’s finest watch in my opinion, but the Fatboy definitely is first choice almost every day.

So have I inadvertently found my “grail” watch (a term I cannot stand!)? Well, if the definition of the term is a one-watch collection that I could live with all day, every day, has a status of its own that I admire and enjoy wearing and genuinely makes me stop looking at other watches, then yes is the answer.

Like love itself, it is often when you are not looking that you find it.

Thanks for reading if you’ve got this far, and enjoy the photos!

On a NATO:

On Jan’s Straps.

Black:

And Tan:

And finally a few random shots which try and capture what I love about this watch:

Master
    Great watches and pics. ..

Maybe I missed it but is there a particular reason you don’t have an original over the reissue ? Or is it just the benefits that come with a brand new watch ?

Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    Great watches and pics. ..

Maybe I missed it but is there a particular reason you don’t have an original over the reissue ? Or is it just the benefits that come with a brand new watch ?
    Thank you.

I have owned an original but I think I prefer the reissue from a practicality point of view, and I don’t really get the whole patina / beaten up look.
    I see the reissue a bit like a modern moonwatch, different movement but still have the same vibe as an original.

Craftsman
    I like your positivity - makes me one to own one! I know many prefer to wear them on Nato straps but I really like the leather ones that you show here.

I've become a bit of a CWC fan although only have a couple of new ones. I wear my GS sapphire every day and the Fat Boy would be a good alternative/upgrade, but like you, the lack of WR is the only drawback that I can see but one that can be worked around. Nice review!

The G10 is a bit of a strange one for me.
    I have had many over the years, I still have one in the collection and I always will, it’s as iconic as the submariner or moon watch in my eyes but…
    I never wear them. I can’t say why, I just always reach for something else.
    It’s pretty much perfect for a one watch collection, it’s no fuss, easy to change the battery, really good looking with a proud history. I can totally understand why you love it. It’s a cracking watch.
    It’s a funny old thing this watch malarkey.
    I might give it am airing over the Xmas break.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 24th December 2022 at 18:08.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I'm with you. I bought and sold two more this year. I think the look amazing in photographs. The examples from TheGent a case in point. They just never look right on my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    I like your positivity - makes me one to own one! I know many prefer to wear them on Nato straps but I really like the leather ones that you show here.

I've become a bit of a CWC fan although only have a couple of new ones. I wear my GS sapphire every day and the Fat Boy would be a good alternative/upgrade, but like you, the lack of WR is the only drawback that I can see but one that can be worked around. Nice review!
    Hey thanks!

There is no doubt they look the business on a NATO strap, but I think the leather just makes a G10 more subtle.

The GS sapphire is the ultimate G10 in many ways, pretty much indestructible. I just love plexi crystals though!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The G10 is a bit of a strange one for me.
    I have had many over the years, I still have one in the collection and I always will, it’s as iconic as the submariner or moon watch in my eyes but…
    It’s pretty much perfect for a one watch collection, it’s no fuss, easy to change the battery, really good looking with a proud history. I can totally understand why you love it. It’s a cracking watch.
    It’s a funny old thing this watch malarkey.
    I might give it am airing over the Xmas break.
    As you say, it is a funny thing what works for one and not another.

I’ve always admired the G10, I worked with an ex-RAF engineer who wore one every day and it looked great.

I only bought the Fatboy as it was a bargain on the sales section and I liked the look of the old style logo. It just worked for me straight away, love the size and the heftier case just makes it feel slightly more substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I'm with you. I bought and sold two more this year. I think the look amazing in photographs. The examples from TheGent a case in point. They just never look right on my wrist.
    Definitely can relate to that. Ended up selling so many watches that just didn’t look quite right on my wrist.

This works a treat:

Last edited by TheGent; 24th December 2022 at 22:10.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Thank you.

I have owned an original but I think I prefer the reissue from a practicality point of view, and I don’t really get the whole patina / beaten up look.
    I see the reissue a bit like a modern moonwatch, different movement but still have the same vibe as an original.
    I’ve never really been a fan of re-issues but this statement seems to have struck a chord with me and might make me feel different in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    I’ve never really been a fan of re-issues but this statement seems to have struck a chord with me and might make me feel different in the future.

It was a bit of a moment of inspiration when I was struggling with the possibility of buying a third original Fatboy (having sold the first 2). I love the originals and was searching for one with as clean a dial as possible when I thought “hang on, I’m looking for one that looks like new, I already have that in the reissue”. My thought process then led me to the moonwatch comparison - again an original 321 movement speedmaster is a wonderful piece of history and a wonderful watch, but if I owned that, and a brand new one, I know which one I would reach for 99% of the time.

I also have decided that I want a watch to tell my story. To be in my photos, worn for my life events. If at the end of my life someone inherits it and wants to continue that story that’s great, but I would rather start the story myself than start with a watch that has been part of the story of someone I don’t know.

Yes, overthinking it all I know, but I have been weighing the whole watch collecting thing up recently in an attempt to break the cycle of buying and selling and just enjoy the watches instead.

Craftsman

Inspired, I thought I’d try a leather two piece with rivets………

Inspired, I thought I’d try a leather two piece with rivets………

Love it!

I’ll have to try that combo

Craftsman

………. but I don’t think it works, so put it back in a simple single pass which seems to suit it better.

I will get a leather one to try - @TheGent - where did you get that brown one in your pics? Thanks

………. but I don’t think it works, so put it back in a simple single pass which seems to suit it better.

I will get a leather one to try - @TheGent - where did you get that brown one in your pics? Thanks

I like the rivet strap, but I think the single pass and NATO’s look best.

I’ll message you.

I use Eddie’s leather Aviator straps for some of my G10s. 20mm works well

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    I use Eddie’s leather Aviator straps for some of my G10s. 20mm works well
    I’ll have to check those out

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    I’ll have to check those out
    I like the brown version rather than the black

Craftsman
    Great review and brilliant pics too. The CWC reissue ticks a lot of boxes. I really like the dial and handset. For me I just wish it had a mechanical movement. I’m sure I’ll try one one day.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    I like the brown version rather than the black
    I think a brown strap with any details suits the watch more - agreed. The plain black single pass works well for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post
    Great review and brilliant pics too. The CWC reissue ticks a lot of boxes. I really like the dial and handset. For me I just wish it had a mechanical movement. I’m sure I’ll try one one day.

Thanks Mike!

Bizarrely the quartz works here for me. I say bizarrely, because it doesn’t work in anything else for me, even the wonderful CWC divers.