closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vehicle security

Vehicle security

Evening all.

I have recently converted my VW T6 to a camper and would like to add some additional security.
    It currently is standard factory spec, immobilised but no alarm.

Having researched online, Autowatch Ghost seems to be recommended (but I am worried about lack of steering buttons for code choice). So then considering a scorpion tracker with immobilisation?

Obviously then there are other bits like steering/ peddle locks etc.

I have never really thought to much about it in the past as I have always had a company vehicle but I certainly want to do my best with my van, even to slow or put someone off. I would be interested in any advice?

Cheers Gav.

Ps. Here she is. :)

Last edited by Gavbaz; 22nd December 2022 at 23:31.

I was discussing car security recently with someone I know, we both work in electronics, we concluded that you can’t beat a hidden immobiliser switch somewhere in the vehicle, forget all the clever digital solutions, whatever the thieves do they won’t be starting it, simple and cheap. It’s how they used to stop people nicking cars in the distance past.

Visual: a big yellow steering wheel locking case.

Stealth: as already mentioned, a hidden immobiliser switch.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

If that is where it usually lives, don't forget that a strategically-parked vehicle with sufficient inbuilt security can be parked in such a way as to make it necessary to shift it in order to gain access to the pride and joy.

Thank you. I hadn’t even thought about a kill switch. Looks like a good option, particularly for the money.

Master
    Quite a few campers by us on private drives have yellow steel bollards fitted. They also have wheel locks. Im sure they have cleverer immobilisers/ trackers but they choose visual deterrents as well.

I've a ghost on my T6 camper. Great bit of kit

Master
    Get agreed value insurance, if they want it enough they will make you give them the keys

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a T5 Camper; I use a steering lock and have the standard alarm ... and an AirTag stashed for tracking.

If they want it bad enough they will take it so I guess I do a bit more than average.

Master
    We have a T6 camper. If it is on the drive or down the caravan yard, then we use a pedal lock and a wheel clamp.
    The wheel clamp may seem over the top, but it’s easy to fit and very visible.
    We use a Disklok when away from home.
    The Ghost solution seems popular (see threads on t6forum.com).

Pete

Craftsman
    Replace the ignition fuse for the resettable type & trip the fuse when the vehicle isn’t in use ……. or just pull the fuse out .

If you're getting an immobiliser fitted then it might as well be key activated rather than a simple switch

Met a guy who ran a fleet of vans and he hasn’t had any stolen since issuing the guys with peddle locks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk