closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: People who are unable to wear a watch.... anyone else know someone?

People who are unable to wear a watch.... anyone else know someone?

My wife, Anna, can't wear a watch, she either stops them dead, or they go wildly out of time in very short order. I bought her an Omega DeVille Prestige with a mother of pearl face keeping to 2 seconds / day over a 10 day test on Omega's machine, but if Anna puts it on her wrist it is a couple of hours out within a couple of hours. Quartz watches are not so bad, she can live with having to reset every morning, even well regarded quartz makes she has to reset every morning because they will be something like an hour or two out. We can't explain it - she has my old Tissot titanium quartz and that is not doing too badly, but others she has tried have been 3 hours out in less than an hour and nobody can work out why.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    This is quite a documented phenomenon. Something to do with people having electricity/magnetic field strong enough to skew timekeeping.

Milgauss might fix it!

Were you attracted to her by her magnetic personality?

When you're married to an electric eel: The Thread.

(Wonderful Latinised binomial for these "Electrophorus electricus"!)

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    When you're married to an electric eel: The Thread.

(Wonderful Latinised binomial for these "Electrophorus electricus"!)
    That is truly shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    This is quite a documented phenomenon. Something to do with people having electricity/magnetic field strong enough to skew timekeeping.

Milgauss might fix it!
    Any links then? More likely an urban myth.

Craftsman
    My dear old Nan, always used to say she couldn't wear one as they stopped when she wore them.

Master
    Buy her a gshock?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I remember one could purchase little strips to attach to ones rear bumper to discharge so called static electricity to the road surface and say goodbye to car sickness, might be a concept to adapt ???

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Cheers chap - tres interessant.

I'm afraid it was an Omega that I bought her, fairly well up the range one too.
    Last edited by Kairos; 22nd December 2022 at 22:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Buy her a gshock?
    Dear God man, she has more taste than that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    I remember one could purchase little strips to attach to ones rear bumper to discharge so called static electricity to the road surface and say goodbye to car sickness, might be a concept to adapt ???
    What? Drag her behind the car, you mean?

My wife has the same issue, albeit not to quite the same extent.

Any of my watches, which have performed flawlessly on my wrist or bedside cabinet for weeks and weeks will be a few minutes slow after she has worn it for a couple of days. She tells me that she has always had this problem with watches.

Are you left handed?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Here - https://www.google.com

I've stopped a few clocks with my face...

Thought so.

This can help to understand: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street...nce_phenomenon

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thought so.
    And yet you didn't have the foresight to think that the only finger I'd lift for you would be the middle one.

I'm sure others will be able to google even if you can't.

And yet you didn't have the foresight to think that the only finger I'd lift for you would be the middle one.

I'm sure others will be able to google even if you can't.
    Found it thanks, human magnetism.

Scoff all you like. All I know is that a £6000 Omega De Ville Prestige would not keep time on her wrist. She would set it when we got up and by lunchtime would be an hour or more out, or stopped. Omega tried and tried to get it to work for her, it was perfect at their end but simply would not keep time if Anna wore it, hence me asking. There was nothing wrong with her watch on the machines or on another ladies wrist that they got to wear it to try to replicate the problem. We gave up on it in the end and actually got our money back. Even quartz watches are not brilliant, but much better and liveable with.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Would be interesting to see the results with an antimagnetic watch. There are quite a few on the market at various price points.
    TZ science project.

Would be interesting to see the results with an antimagnetic watch. There are quite a few on the market at various price points.
    TZ science project.
    Any ideas for me to follow up please? Do they do a ladies Milgausse? The Omega, being at their high end should have been very antimagnetic from what Wileeeey has said.

Tudor Black Bay Ceramic is 15000 gauss, but at 41mm May be too large.

Nomos make a watch that may work.
    https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/sund...mber=SONNESTLO

Apple watch?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Were you attracted to her by her magnetic personality?
    LOL!

My old uncle doesn't have a problem with watches (although he wears a digital), but he cannot carry a debit or credit card on his person. They simply refuse to work. He's tried NFC-resistant wallets and even made a shielded card holder (he's an engineer).

They just blank off completely.
    Last edited by Filterlab; 23rd December 2022 at 07:54.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    Scoff all you like. All I know is that a £6000 Omega De Ville Prestige would not keep time on her wrist. She would set it when we got up and by lunchtime would be an hour or more out, or stopped. Omega tried and tried to get it to work for her, it was perfect at their end but simply would not keep time if Anna wore it, hence me asking. There was nothing wrong with her watch on the machines or on another ladies wrist that they got to wear it to try to replicate the problem. We gave up on it in the end and actually got our money back. Even quartz watches are not brilliant, but much better and liveable with.
    Might be a silly question but I’ll ask: did she fully hand- wind the watch first? Taking an automatic watch that’s stopped , giving it a few shakes, then wearing it might work if you’re active but the watch really needs a few winds to put some tension into the mainspring. The watch needs enough power to get the amplitude high enough to give reasonable tine- keeping, if it’s barely running the timekeeping will be way out.

To my mind there’s no reason why a watch can’t run on one person but is fine on others, there has to be a logical explanation, I don’t accept the ‘magnetic field’ theory. When automatic watches don’t work it’s usually because the wearer is v. inactive or the watch hasn’t been wound initially.

I worked with a girl in her early 20’s who was a bundle of energy. She wore a Yachtmaster, a submariner and a Datejust in rotation - wealthy daddy. One day we got talking about her watch collection. She moaned that none of her watches worked properly and she had taken them all back to the jewellers for servicing multiple times. I asked her about hand winding - she looked confused - so I unscrewed the crown for here and wound her watch. She had no idea they didn’t run on a battery - suffice to say she never needed to get here watches fixed again and felt very silly (she was razor sharp but had no interest in watches at all - she only wore them as they were gifts)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Might be a silly question but I’ll ask: did she fully hand- wind the watch first? Taking an automatic watch that’s stopped , giving it a few shakes, then wearing it might work if you’re active but the watch really needs a few winds to put some tension into the mainspring. The watch needs enough power to get the amplitude high enough to give reasonable tine- keeping, if it’s barely running the timekeeping will be way out.

To my mind there’s no reason why a watch can’t run on one person but is fine on others, there has to be a logical explanation, I don’t accept the ‘magnetic field’ theory. When automatic watches don’t work it’s usually because the wearer is v. inactive or the watch hasn’t been wound initially.
    Yes, it was fully powered up and running when she put it back on each time. There is something about her, she is fairly active, that doesn't seem to be compatible with watches - why would quartz go adrift, not to the same extent but wildly out compared to other people. My Tissot is good for about 1 minute/year when I wear it.... in other words it is bang on for weeks at a time. Anna puts it on and it needs putting right aagain by tomorrow!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Tudor Black Bay Ceramic is 15000 gauss, but at 41mm May be too large.

Tried one of these last month, very nice, sorry OT.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    LOL!
    he cannot carry a debit or credit card on his person. They simply refuse to work. He's tried NFC-resistant wallets and even made a shielded card holder (he's an engineer).

They just blank off completely.
    If only my wife had that problem!

I have no idea if it's true or not but my mate at work swears he can't wear a mechanical watch because they all stop working but quartz is OK. I don't get why this would happen but apparently it does.

Sent from a technical device.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    If only my wife had that problem!
    LOL! That would be nice.