CABOT FIFTY

https://www.cwcwatch.com/products/ca..._source=seguno

This is rather pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Goochie81 View Post
    https://www.cwcwatch.com/products/ca..._source=seguno

This is rather pretty.

It is yes, except its about four or five times the price it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    More like 10x.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Journeyman
    Yes did make me wince!

Looks awful in my opinion and you could buy a nice original DD for less than half the price

It looks good if you squint. The design is nice, I like it, but the execution is poor. The fingerprints all over the photos are one thing, that can almost be forgiven but still held up as an example of a slapstick attitude to detail. The poor finishing is quite something else... FFS, that movement, that shouldn't be a showpiece in a £2k+ watch. The hands and dial look awful, the case looks like it's been finished with a brick. No thanks.

It looks ok, but a sellita and ww2 brass bits as a base material for the case, how did it end up at over 2k??!!!!
    Finishing is shocking at the price asked, and as said above, you can easily get a very nice example of original dirty dozen for less than 2k.
    A joke, which is not exactly going to make me think higher of CWC

How much? Jeez 🙄

Master
    Do like the style, it's quite a nice looking and well proportioned watch. But have never really got on with brass watches.... and that's before looking at the price!

I also wonder about selling points such as "WWII type Bren watch roll included".

CWC's pricing for the heritage models is increasingly ambitious. The LE Pilot's Chrono at £4995 and now this. The 1980 diver (which I really like) has snuck up to £2500 - almost seems decent value by comparison.

CWC are becoming a self-parodying watchmaker.
    This takes it a stage further, and detailed pictures of the very poor dial printing don't help

Certainly not for me, fishing looks terrible, brass will surely affect your skin? Exhibition cashback seems completely out of place leave alone such a dull and standard moment on such an expensive piece. Made in England with a Swiss movement doesn't sit right with me either.

All together not at all impressed, been a long time fan of CWC(my G10 Fatboy is still my favourite watch) but I can't ever see me buying another at this point.

As I said in the BMW thread about the watch, this is really milking their history.
    They used to make good quality good value watches that only enthusiasts would know about and it was an effort to get hold of one
    Their success means they now need to come up with the next great thing to keep sales going.
    Their prices are frankly obscene for what you get.
    I can’t ever see me buying a new CWC and I say that as a fan boi! The value is just not there anymore.

I bought my first ever CWC last year - a quartz SBS diver - and for £700 it was very underwhelming. It’s sad how swiftly the watch brands are becoming parodies of themselves. Companies with proper heritage knocking out daft special editions of watches that have no historical meaning or significance just to milk the brand. I wonder if they can get away with it because even a basic mechanical movement is now looked upon as a luxury item by the younger generations (thanks to all the marketing guff surrounding what used to be the norm for every watch a few decades age before the advent of quartz) - pricing on this is the new definition of bonkers surely??!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made in England with a Swiss movement? Don’t know how that works but I guess it must fit the criteria. Not for me this one.

Did they print the dial with a potato?

Zooming in on the made in England....I'm amazed it got signed off.

As above, I still have a few CWCs having sold some, but all these new editions at crazy prices has me losing some of the love for them. I'll keep three of the issued ones I have (80 W10, 90G10, 2000 RN diver) but the others are on the way out

Master
    I may be wrong but I’m sure it’s meant to look aged and patina’d, which would be why the printing and finishing are a bit ‘off.’

Between this, a Vertex M100 and a Bremont Broadsword I’d go with the Vertex personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    I may be wrong but I’m sure it’s meant to look aged and patina’d, which would be why the printing and finishing are a bit ‘off.’

Between this, a Vertex M100 and a Bremont Broadsword I’d go with the Vertex personally.
    That did occur to me, but they make no mention of that in the sales blurb. Surely if the intention was to make a sort of resto-mod watch, they'd make it a selling point.

There's just too much wrong with the watch that can't be explained away as faux-patina.

The recesses on the caseback look like they've been made with a chisel, the text on the caseback appears to be stamped and the excess metal that cratered out hasn't been smoothed off, the lume plot at 9 is wonky (in multiple photos, so I don't think it's the crystal distorting it) but the lume isn't in that old radium style, it is covered in fingerprints, the movement deserves in no way to be shown off, and who the hell wants a brass caseback going green on the wrist?

And THAT is the best example they had to photograph and use as their sales material? Jesus, it's a mess.

The case being machined in the UK probably has something to do with the price and all the other gripes. Get over it. It's a nice little watch.
    THIN is the new BLACK

If it were stainless steel and reasonably priced I think it would be a nice watch. They would need to fix this though...

As I've said in the other thread, this is a really poor effort, especially when considering how good it could have been. CWC have missed the opportunity to produce a winner and need to have a serious word with themselves - and sack their marketing guy.

CABOT FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    If it were stainless steel and reasonably priced I think it would be a nice watch. They would need to fix this though...

The more I look at this picture the worse it gets. The printing, the hands, the printing, the printing. Everything seems to be made by an intern.

Nice watch. Quite expensive. I love the bronce colour watches!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    The more I look at this picture the worse it gets. The printing, the hands, the printing, the printing. Everything seems to be made by an intern.
    You're right. My eyes were drawn to the printing and then you see the hands. Hopefully this is not a production model and the real thing is a bit better finished.

With my old eyes I could live with the printing. Had to enlarge the image on my phone screen to see what people were referring to, so wouldn't notice it on the wrist.

But surely it is much too expensive.

Oh well, good luck to them. It must have taken the work experience youth a while to collect together all of those buckles for melting down.

Someone has one up on ebay now. Unfortunately his photos are not the best but from what I can tell the finish is as poor as the watch in the publicity shots. It can only be intentional on CWC's part, but looks like a home goal to me (unless they've sold them all of course).

Hmmm the seller also has 2 other brand new CWC for sale. An SBS and an 80 reissue.
    I wonder who the seller could be? It would be interesting if the posting address was close to the Mile End Road?
    Purely a matter of conjecture obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Hmmm the seller also has 2 other brand new CWC for sale. An SBS and an 80 reissue.
    I wonder who the seller could be? It would be interesting if the posting address was close to the Mile End Road?
    Purely a matter of conjecture obviously.
    Hmmm yes. None of them are actually brand new and he's marked them as preowned. But....they are all only a few months old and at his asking prices he's set to lose at least several hundred quid combined. Silvermans returns possibly?

Silvermans returns possibly?
    That would be my guess

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    That would be my guess
    A quick bit of fag packet maths shows he spent £6k plus delivery on 3 watches in the last 3 months, and now wants to sell all 3 at a loss of £1365.00 plus ebay fees.
    So must be, unless it's an unexpected tax bill looming a la sales corner ;)