closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko GMT vs Rolex Explorer II polar

Craftsman

Grand Seiko GMT vs Rolex Explorer II polar

Hi, I've been waiting over 2 years for "the call" from Rolex, but I know I'm wasting my time.
    I came across the GS sports GMT models recently, and think this could be a good alternative. So much so, I've made an appointment with the boutique over the holidays.. price wise there is approx. 1k in it... Anybody got any real world experience of the GS.. Model code is SBGJ237

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    Hi, I've been waiting over 2 years for "the call" from Rolex, but I know I'm wasting my time.
    I came across the GS sports GMT models recently, and think this could be a good alternative. So much so, I've made an appointment with the boutique over the holidays.. price wise there is approx. 1k in it... Anybody got any real world experience of the GS.. Model code is SBGJ237
    Very nice watch but shop around for discounts - at least 1k off RRP is doable and I reckon New Year sales will include this model

Master
    Looks lovely but for me far too large. 44.3mm in diameter, 14.4mm in thickness, and 51mm in length lug to lug. I imagine it has the standard clasp GS use too which are ok at best.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Anybody got any real world experience of the GS.. Model code is SBGJ237
    Hello

I have had that exact GS, its a lovely thing and one I regret moving on. Wears bigger than the Rolex but as 44m and thicker,
    Is a really comfortable watch also. So much Ive had 2 of the gs gmt

If one came up at right price again I wouldnt hesitate.

As for quality, its a GS so its superb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a bit of a GS fanboy, but i tried this (in fact have a couple of times) and just think it wears too big - and I generally find any watch with date at 4 to be displeasing aesthetically.

Finishing is superb though.

What about the smaller GS HEQ GMT, that looks strikingly similar to the older expl. II ?
    I had one for a while and for the money it was fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    Thanks guys..will be interesting to how it wears at 44mm... actually hoping to see the limited edition, with the snow dial, which in the pictures is stunning... Discount is always an interesting topic, but 1k off would be great 👍

Have you considered the Black Bay Pro? Probably most similar in design to the exp II.

This GS is a no from me on account of its dimensions.

An alternative GS for me and one I quite fancy us the mist flake SBGE285.

Wearing it now having bought it off strell, it's great finish is well above the 42mm explorer I owned - I think it wears smaller than the 44mm, mine is going nowhere

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    I think those GS look fab, also the sbge275 and 277. Definitely worth a look. Also I picked up a seiko LX snr035 from sales corner recently, the GMT Spring drive is wonderfully accurate and almost quartz like in how the 3 day power reserve let's you put it down for so long.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys..will be interesting to how it wears at 44mm... actually hoping to see the limited edition, with the snow dial, which in the pictures is stunning... Discount is always an interesting topic, but 1k off would be great 👍
    If you can get one as thought they are all sold out!

But I can tell you its amazing! I have one put away

Maybe also have a look at the sbge283 and sbge285. Theyre a bit smaller and closer in looks to the Explorer 2 because of the steel bezel.

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/co.../evolution9/v4

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    Maybe also have a look at the sbge283 and sbge285. Theyre a bit smaller and closer in looks to the Explorer 2 because of the steel bezel.

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/co.../evolution9/v4
    This was going to be my suggestion as well. Looks awesome!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I am a bit of a GS fanboy, but i tried this (in fact have a couple of times) and just think it wears too big - and I generally find any watch with date at 4 to be displeasing aesthetically.

Finishing is superb though.

What about the smaller GS HEQ GMT, that looks strikingly similar to the older expl. II ?
    I had one for a while and for the money it was fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That would be the way I would go, too, albeit you"re not going to get a rotating bezel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    This was going to be my suggestion as well. Looks awesome!
    Agreed. Only issue with the titanium one is pin and collar if thats a problem for you. I tried on the back varient and its a nice watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    That would be the way I would go, too, albeit you"re not going to get a rotating bezel.
    I briefly had one of these, SBGN003, blue dial. It was a fantastic watch. I was far too precious with it, so it rarely left the house! Ive only ever bought the same watch again once, but Id get one of these again in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRockNRoll View Post
    I briefly had one of these, SBGN003, blue dial. It was a fantastic watch. I was far too precious with it, so it rarely left the house! Ive only ever bought the same watch again once, but Id get one of these again in a heartbeat.

Ive got the SBGN003 black dial (I think the blue is 005?) - really enjoying it. Its now my favourite for anything other than knocking about at home. The size is spot on for me, extremely comfortable and just looks classy, but also functional/highly engineered.

I tried on the sporty green GMT auto (cant recall the reference) and it was just way too high on my wrist.

Craftsman
    Youre right Jack, 005. I echo everything youve said you like about yours.

Both great watches but in my experience it's better to go for what you wanted in the beginning. A substitute never fully scratches the itch

Craftsman
    Great suggestions. Looking forward to visiting Seiko, and getting to try them. I agree that you should stick with your original desire, but not always possible.i.e. Rolex. Also an opportunity to try something new...

Great suggestions. Looking forward to visiting Seiko, and getting to try them. I agree that you should stick with your original desire, but not always possible.i.e. Rolex. Also an opportunity to try something new...
    General consensus is that Rolex is becoming easier to get at the AD due to wider events. Nudge some ADs, folk that previously gave lip service to your request may suddenly be more keen to speak to you.

Or go with the Grand Seiko of course, I only mean to nudge the AD if the Rolex is still the one you want most.

I was in the same boat and eventually chose the Seiko Prospex SNR025, the spiritual successor to the Land Master. Feels a bit more tool like than the GS.

Craftsman
    So, visited GS during the week to see the limited edition...
    What a watch... a real "wow" factor with that dial, but also BIG. For me the model is too big for my wrist, and i didn't like the way the bezel sat so much over the edge..
    If anybody is looking for the limited edition, Knightsbridge seem to have the last one in the UK...
    I also tried on the Evolution 9 GMT, which i think might be the one...
    No movement on price so will have to ponder.. the limited edition @ 6300 seems like good value...
    On a side note, i also dropped into my Rolex AD regarding the explorer II... basically said, buy some other stuff and we'll see...you can imagine my thought :)
    Happy new year to all... be interesting to see what arrives in 2023

Cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post
    If you can get one as thought they are all sold out!

But I can tell you its amazing! I have one put away

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not sure if I'm missing a trick but why is the bezel not 50/50 in colour split?

Recently got my first GS and blown away by it in terms of fit and finish.