closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Seiko Battery Change

Grand Seiko Battery Change

Seiko now charge a whopping £90 for battery change and reseal..
    Looks to be a simple enough job.. I probably wouldn’t trust high street for it… but there must be a less extortionate option from a competent watchmaker/repairer..?

Any recommendations?

Thanks, Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With reseal and I assume pressure test, plus warranty on the work I don't think that's too bad.

Master
    I recently sent my Hydroconquest back to the mother ship for a battery change. It came back with new seals and pressure test and two years peace of mind for £73 including postage in a nice little travel case. I don't think £90 for a GS too bad.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    With reseal and I assume pressure test, plus warranty on the work I don't think that's too bad.
    I think I do - £2-3 battery, I presume they will not change the Caseback gasket - 10 minute job
    Just thinking what the ‘warranty’ covers

Apprentice
    Be brave . It’s a simple enough job with the correct tools . Cover the case back with transparent plastic to prevent scratching the case back when using case back remover . Once open you should be able to keep the gasket in place. The battery is in a separate compartment from the movement and is easily replaced with no risk of damage . The risk is nominal and you’ll save £90.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    From one of our very own members

https://youtu.be/mIw3cMPZins
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    I’ve used https://onatelier.co.uk/ (.olli. on here) to do the battery on my SBGT241.
    Would recommend him highly.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I think I do - £2-3 battery, I presume they will not change the Caseback gasket - 10 minute job
    Just thinking what the ‘warranty’ covers
    Then that would not be a reseal which the OP said is included in the price.

Master
    Then that would not be a reseal which the OP said is included in the price.
    Ok then add in a possible £5 gasket to the bill
    I think if you don’t replace it it’s still a ‘reseal’ unless you leave the caseback off

I think if you don’t replace it it’s still a ‘reseal’ unless you leave the caseback off
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

Thanks for that.. coincidentally my GS is the same model albeit with the black/grey dial..

Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    I’ve used https://onatelier.co.uk/ (.olli. on here) to do the battery on my SBGT241.
    Would recommend him highly.
    Thanks for this.. :)

Far far too much "lunging" from 4m42s from him (for me).....

Master
    Omega currently charge £60 for the same job, £40 from my local watchmaker. Can’t remember what Rolex asked for an Oysterquartz battery change last time around, but GS seem to be pushing the boat out there. I know we have 10% inflation but everything seems to cost 50% more than it used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Omega currently charge £60 for the same job, £40 from my local watchmaker. Can’t remember what Rolex asked for an Oysterquartz battery change last time around, but GS seem to be pushing the boat out there. I know we have 10% inflation but everything seems to cost 50% more than it used to.
    Seiko used to charge £68 for GS battery change which I think is fair… that was up to last year.. I’ve had a couple of recommendations for around £50.

Grand Master
    Have to smile at the term ‘reseal’, a somewhat grandiose term for refitting (or replacing) the caseback seal and refitting the caseback!

To be really thorough and avoid potential comebacks it makes sense to pressure test the watch, I usually take the movement out to do this as a safeguard against getting water into the watch ( wet tester used). If all’s well.

Can’t see anything too difficult about the Grand Seiko, £90 seems crazy to me.

This may be a stupid question but do Grand Seiko use special batteries for GS watches, or do they use the same batteries as in a standard Seiko?

Quote Originally Posted by wrigles View Post
    Seiko used to charge £68 for GS battery change which I think is fair… that was up to last year.. I’ve had a couple of recommendations for around £50.

I was happy to pay £60 a couple of years ago but not £95 today!

If you wouldn't mind sharing your recommendations then that would be very helpful.

When I enquired about a battery change at GS they advised the crown, case back seals etc were all changed and the watch wet pressure tested. It was then returned with a 2 year warranty.

I don't think the price is bad at all considering what's done along with the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    This may be a stupid question but do Grand Seiko use special batteries for GS watches, or do they use the same batteries as in a standard Seiko?
    Same standard batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    When I enquired about a battery change at GS they advised the crown, case back seals etc were all changed and the watch wet pressure tested. It was then returned with a 2 year warranty.

I don't think the price is bad at all considering what's done along with the warranty.
    Surely the crown wouldn't need replacing every three years, especially not on a quartz?! Still seems expensive to me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Surely the crown wouldn't need replacing every three years, especially not on a quartz?! Still seems expensive to me.

Crown seal

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    It was then returned with a 2 year warranty.
    Warranty on the watch, or warranty on the battery?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Warranty on the watch, or warranty on the battery?
    On the battery and WR of the watch from memory.

Can't help but smile when people who spend thousands of pounds on a watch then quibble over £30 for a battery replacement (£60 is ok - £90 isn't?). It's like people who buy £50k+ cars and then fit the cheapest tyres that they can find when they need replacing.

£90 seems perfectly acceptable to me for a professional job that isn't required very often.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post

£90 seems perfectly acceptable to me for a professional job that isn't required very often.
    As Paul and others have pointed out on this thread, it's not really a professional or highly skilled job.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    Can't help but smile when people who spend thousands of pounds on a watch then quibble over £30 for a battery replacement (£60 is ok - £90 isn't?). It's like people who buy £50k+ cars and then fit the cheapest tyres that they can find when they need replacing.

Hmm. Not sure. I stretched myself to get my GS. And that was second hand. It's the only way to get one. Do I think £90 is worth a battery change? No I don't. It's a 5 minute job. That's £450 an hour to take a case back off, replace battery then replace case back. Do they replace seals or lubricate? Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Hmm. Not sure. I stretched myself to get my GS. And that was second hand. It's the only way to get one. Do I think £90 is worth a battery change? No I don't. It's a 5 minute job. That's £450 an hour to take a case back off, replace battery then replace case back. Do they replace seals or lubricate? Who knows.
    Everyone knows: they do replace the seals (also: lubricate what?).

It will be an acceptable value to some, not to others. Can’t believe it generates so much chat.

Can anyone reccomend a caseback tool please?

Also, where can I source the correct Seiko battery?

Master
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07K256DPC/

This was recommended on a thread back in November. I bought it and have used it several times. Definitely felt better than other 'cheapies' I've used.

I've no idea what the caseback on your GS looks like but hopefully suitable.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07K256DPC/

This was recommended on a thread back in November. I bought it and have used it several times. Definitely felt better than other 'cheapies' I've used.

I've no idea what the caseback on your GS looks like but hopefully suitable.

Thank you, very helpful!

- - - Updated - - -

This is an extremely helpful video!

Does anyone know whether the caseback tool in the link above would be suitable for this type of case?

Can anyone reccomend a caseback tool please?

Also, where can I source the correct Seiko battery?

You’ve told us the model of phone you use, but not the model of GS you’re enquiring after re the tool. The latter info would be the more helpful ;)

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    You’ve told us the model of phone you use, but not the model of GS you’re enquiring after re the tool. The latter info would be the more helpful ;)
    SBGP001

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/collections/sbgp001g

So this:

Any 3-pin tool like that posted above will work. The trick will be to get one bit a selection of tips, so that you can achieve a good fit to avoid marring.

So this:

Any 3-pin tool like that posted above will work. The trick will be to get one bit a selection of tips, so that you can achieve a good fit to avoid marring.
    Thanks, good advice.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Everyone knows: they do replace the seals (also: lubricate what?).

It will be an acceptable value to some, not to others. Can’t believe it generates so much chat.
    Do they not grease the seal? Anyway probably generates chat because of the price.

Does anyone use these to remove the case back?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bergeon-800...a-799179746543

Think I would feel safer using one.

Also is there a recommend grease for the seals/gaskets and can you get the seals anywhere?

Master
    Do they not grease the seal? Anyway probably generates chat because of the price.

Also is there a recommend grease for the seals/gaskets and can you get the seals anywhere?
    These are great for casebacks that have been tightened to a reasonable level ie not sealed down like Chernobyl Seiko diver casebacks, lol.

Also available from Cousins for a fiver!

Description states: Will not open very tight case backs

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/su...ss?code=C51738

If I’d that level of questions, I’d pay my £90, enjoy my GS and my peace of mind. YMMV.

Master
    I’ve had a couple of Aqualands that I’ve had to put in a case holder and pop that in my vice to keep it still - allows a little downward pressure as I turn

5 minute job eh.

There's replacement of the battery, gaskets and a pressure test once done. I believe that the battery change is done at a service centre so there may be shipping charges involved. I also assume there's a warranty for the work done. So I have the option of attempting it myself and possibly damaging an expensive watch, or pay (possibly less than) the cost of a new tyre on my car and leave it to the experts.

As Paul and others have pointed out on this thread, it's not really a professional or highly skilled job.
    It's professional as you're paying someone to do it and it's a skilled job, possibly not highly skilled. If you gave the watch to the average person in the street, do you think they could change the battery and seals (even with instruction) successfully without damage to the watch and pressure test it?

Thank you, very helpful!

- - - Updated - - -

This is an extremely helpful video!

Does anyone know whether the caseback tool in the link above would be suitable for this type of case?
    I'd avoid those three-prong openers. It is very difficult to get all three to locate with an even spread of load and therefore very easy to slip and damage the case. I have one, have used it once and never again.

Martin

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    I'd avoid those three-prong openers. It is very difficult to get all three to locate with an even spread of load and therefore very easy to slip and damage the case. I have one, have used it once and never again.

Martin
    On the other hand, I've used the 3 pronged on more than one occasion to change batteries without a problem (on 2 GS that I own also)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post

Martin

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk
    I agree. Having used a three prong "Jaxx" versus a simple two prong opener, the cheap Chinese blue ones, the two prong is more effective and safer.

I should point out, I've only used these to regulate inexpensive Vostoks, but the two prong was a lot easier to align and torx.

If I had a GS, personally I'd send it to Seiko for a battery change.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    On the other hand, I've used the 3 pronged on more than one occasion to change batteries without a problem (on 2 GS that I own also)
    Have to agree; struggle to see how anyone could have difficulty using one of those personally, but then everyone has different abilities in different areas… hence why I mused earlier that £90 from Seiko might represent a value to some: if I thought for a picosecond I could damage a watch, I’d be handing over my money.

Ask Bry if he has a 6 point non marking opener that fits ? I use them all the while as they are my go to tool for case backs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Ask Bry if he has a 6 point non marking opener that fits ? I use them all the while as they are my go to tool for case backs.

Got to agree Jon I’ve a couple of these from Bry

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post

Compared to a 3-pin tool, I’m seeing half the chance of slippage, but twice the potential for damage if it does. Is that about right?

Compared to a 3-pin tool, I’m seeing half the chance of slippage, but twice the potential for damage if it does. Is that about right?
    The pins are non marking.