closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tudor Price Rise

Tudor Price Rise

It was on the Tudor FB Group yesterday but also just been confirmed by my AD, 10% across the board from Jan 1st.

I was wondering how long it would be until Tudor went with the big increase.

Wow that's a fairly large increase! Catching up quickly to Omega

Tudor already seemed expensive with a standard black bay diver being £3,090 and the Pelagos at £3,750.

Ambitious Vs the rivals if the above increase 10% but we may very soon be going back to the discount days meaning it could just be to keep selling them at the same price once a discount is applied.

Master
    Is that the third in less than 12 months?
    Perhaps they no longer wish to be considered really good vfm.

Master
    It will be below inflation so still good value for money!
    Especially when considering how much everything else is rising at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Crap better get a pelagos 39 and Fxd fast lol

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Tudor already seemed expensive with a standard black bay diver being £3,090 and the Pelagos at £3,750.

Ambitious Vs the rivals if the above increase 10% but we may very soon be going back to the discount days meaning it could just be to keep selling them at the same price once a discount is applied.
    I think in comparison terms they are pretty cheap (cheap probably isn’t quite the right word, but they are cheaper than a lot of other options). A Breitling Heritage SO with the same movement is £5350, an Omega SMP300m diver is now £5100. Even a Tag Super Diver is £5,500. So an in-house movement Ranger at £2400, or a diver at around £3000 looks pretty good value compared to some others to me.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 16th December 2022 at 12:23.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I think in comparison terms they are pretty cheap. A Breitling Heritage SO with the same movement is £5350, an Omega SMP300m diver is now £5100. Even a Tag Super Diver is £5,500. So an in-house movement Ranger at £2400, or a diver at around £3000 looks pretty good value compared to some others to me.
    I'm probably out of touch then as I don't follow Bretiling pricing and always mentally take 20% off Omega pricing.

Tag Super Diver is something I've seen on here a few times and looks nice enough but £5.5k RRP is a bit of a shock.

Probably just keeping up with the rest

I was surprised by the current pricing. Until I checked I’d assumed the Breitling was a £3250-£3500 watch new, but things have moved on. The Omega diver at over £5k just seems a little crazy to me.

Rightly or wrongly I felt that my most recent Tudor purchases were good value, circa £3000 for the GMT Pro, and £2400 for the Ranger. I may feel a little different after the price increase, but most brands are pushing their pricing higher.

I expect Rolex will follow suit too

I was surprised by the current pricing. Until I checked I’d assumed the Breitling was a £3250-£3500 watch new, but things have moved on. The Omega diver at over £5k just seems a little crazy to me.

Rightly or wrongly I felt that my most recent Tudor purchases were good value, circa £3000 for the GMT Pro, and £2400 for the Ranger. I may feel a little different after the price increase, but most brands are pushing their pricing higher.
    Did a double take at the over 5k comment for the Omega, wow. I paid £2700 for mine in 2016 and I don’t think the new version is worth nearly double, not to me anyway. There was a time that a seamaster was the affordable luxury watch, not any more! Maybe Tudor are value for money even with the rise.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    That’s pretty big - makes a BB58 and the like fairly expensive.

Master
    I'm probably out of touch then as I don't follow Bretiling pricing and always mentally take 20% off Omega pricing.

Tag Super Diver is something I've seen on here a few times and looks nice enough but £5.5k RRP is a bit of a shock.

Probably just keeping up with the rest
    You can’t take 20% off omega any more.

On a different note they have been under valued for a long time and even at a 10% increase I think they are still great value. In house very accurate, robust and long power reserve movements. Very well made with now with outstanding clasps, superb lume etc
    Last edited by Stuno1; 16th December 2022 at 13:48.

I was looking at some Tudor watches this morning, never used this site but some keen prices from what I have seen elsewhere.

https://est1897.co.uk/products/tudor...-mens-watch-12

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Good luck , Tudor are playing the supply restriction tactic with those two now the game is up for the Chrono's.
    Last edited by petay993; 16th December 2022 at 14:15.

Master

Discounts will only be achieved if supply exceeds demand. Any quality watch maker who increases production to the extent that discounts start being offered would be as mad as a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Discounts will only be achieved if supply exceeds demand. Any quality watch maker who increases production to the extent that discounts start being offered would be as mad as a fish.
    Outside of boutique, manufacturer sells for set price to AD, so what difference does it make to them? Dealer takes the discount loss.

Haggling does take place, whether it be a pound, ten thousand, a free strap, service, whatever.

10% is a big hike, but I personally think the 'in house' models are still VFM against Omega, Breitiling & above TAG, the BB58 at £3350ish is still VFM for what you get - in the grand scheme of luxury watches.

Although mine bought at £2k some 3 1/2 yrs ago seems very much a bargain.

On another note Omega Boutique confirmed a 7% increase across the board last night to me at the end of January. Makes the Speedy Sapphire over £7k now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    10% is a big hike, but I personally think the 'in house' models are still VFM against Omega, Breitiling & above TAG, the BB58 at £3350ish is still VFM for what you get - in the grand scheme of luxury watches.

Although mine bought at £2k some 3 1/2 yrs ago seems very much a bargain.

On another note Omega Boutique confirmed a 7% increase across the board last night to me at the end of January. Makes the Speedy Sapphire over £7k now.
    All these price rises make what was an ‘affordable’ hobby 10 years ago a bit eye watering now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Good luck! Neither are in the AD window where I live.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I was looking at some Tudor watches this morning, never used this site but some keen prices from what I have seen elsewhere.

https://est1897.co.uk/products/tudor...-mens-watch-12

It's a pawnbroker site, so they're used watches.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    You can’t take 20% off omega any more.

On a different note they have been under valued for a long time and even at a 10% increase I think they are still great value. In house very accurate, robust and long power reserve movements. Very well made with now with outstanding clasps, superb lume etc

Totally agree with all of that Stuart.

For me Tudor are pretty much the best sub £5k brand on the market and whilst a 10% increase is never great for consumers it doesn't, relatively speaking, make them look worse value per se. I also think that my Omega Seamaster 300M in Green was real value at c. £4.4k when I bought it considering the spec/finish and feel - and again nicely sub £5k too.

Blog Entries
    Baffling really... the whole inflation thing.

It is running at a high percent.
    That used to mean that wages went up also. But not these days.

We are not living in that kind of world anymore. Just because necesseties have gone up, doesn't mean that everyone has to push their prices up.

More evidence that the haves have more and that the haven nots haven't.

** I mean this in a comparitive way by the way.
    They did seem a bargain quality brand... now they are luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    All these price rises make what was an ‘affordable’ hobby 10 years ago a bit eye watering now.
    It’s almost as if the availability of decent quality micro brands has encouraged the big brands to raise their prices to silly levels. Calling a watch like the BB58 good value at £3300 just illustrates how daft it’s all become. I certainly can’t afford or justify spending thousands on fairly average watches which have somehow had their prices elevated without any tangible benefits. Even Seiko - which throws watches together with gay abandon, wonky chapter rings, misaligned bezels, woeful timekeeping and gritty crowns - is charging £500 for watches that were better put together a short time ago and selling for £100. I do agree Omega seem to have elevated their range with more detail and better finishing etc - but I don’t want fine jewellery pricing and finishing in a tool watch like a seamaster. It misses the point. Glad I bought my BB58 earlier this year - it wears like a better built Rolex 5513 and at under £3k was reasonable for a daily wearer. I genuinely don’t know if younger people will spend their money on watches in the future - is this the death spasm before people lose interest? (I know there are brand obsessed morons on insta whatever but take them and wealthy collectors out of the market and who’s left? Conspicuous consumption may not be so cool if you can’t switch the heating on and the world looks like something out of Bladerunner!)

Value not in isolation but in relation to others is how I see it. As has been mentioned earlier the likes of breitling etc had risen substantially- this leaves a price void that Tudor has deftly stepped into. I doubt their sales will suffer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    It’s almost as if the availability of decent quality micro brands has encouraged the big brands to raise their prices to silly levels. Calling a watch like the BB58 good value at £3300 just illustrates how daft it’s all become. I certainly can’t afford or justify spending thousands on fairly average watches which have somehow had their prices elevated without any tangible benefits. Even Seiko - which throws watches together with gay abandon, wonky chapter rings, misaligned bezels, woeful timekeeping and gritty crowns - is charging £500 for watches that were better put together a short time ago and selling for £100. I do agree Omega seem to have elevated their range with more detail and better finishing etc - but I don’t want fine jewellery pricing and finishing in a tool watch like a seamaster. It misses the point. Glad I bought my BB58 earlier this year - it wears like a better built Rolex 5513 and at under £3k was reasonable for a daily wearer. I genuinely don’t know if younger people will spend their money on watches in the future - is this the death spasm before people lose interest? (I know there are brand obsessed morons on insta whatever but take them and wealthy collectors out of the market and who’s left? Conspicuous consumption may not be so cool if you can’t switch the heating on and the world looks like something out of Bladerunner!)
    Agree completely with you here. I'm glad I tried a BB58 when I did.

I'm not surprising but it is a shame to see Tudor go the same way as Omega and other previously more affordable luxury brands (surely that's an oxymoron if ever there was one!) in raising it's prices even more. Having previously owned the newest iteration of the Seamaster Pro too it was a nice watch with some great features and finishing, but it's certainly not worth what it's now selling for at RRP.

The issue for me is that a good quality watch shouldn’t necessarily be a luxury brand. Nobody in the 90’s thought their Seamaster was a luxury watch, it was just a watch!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Probably good timing that I picked my BB Pro up from Mallory's today then.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    The issue for me is that a good quality watch shouldn’t necessarily be a luxury brand. Nobody in the 90’s thought their Seamaster was a luxury watch, it was just a watch!

I disagree, quite strongly. Omega was a luxury watch for decades before the 90’s. Whether that fitted in with a particular earning demographic or not is a different thing.

Sinn are also going to do the same, they say its because of the energy prices

Rolex up 4% in Jan apparently

I disagree, quite strongly. Omega was a luxury watch for decades before the 90’s. Whether that fitted in with a particular earning demographic or not is a different thing.
    I agree. I bought a seamaster in the mid 90’s for about £900. Iirc it was about 1.5-2 months wages at the time for me. Certainly felt like a luxury watch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    Outside of boutique, manufacturer sells for set price to AD, so what difference does it make to them? Dealer takes the discount loss.

Haggling does take place, whether it be a pound, ten thousand, a free strap, service, whatever.
    Sorry but I missed this.

It's all about brand image protection. If a product is sold on a discount to the point where the discount is expected then the brand image has gone and the values will slide.

Banning discounts is the precursor to price increases, more exclusivity and more turnover and profits.

Sorry but I missed this.

It's all about brand image protection. If a product is sold on a discount to the point where the discount is expected then the brand image has gone and the values will slide.

Banning discounts is the precursor to price increases, more exclusivity and more turnover and profits.
    But, do you genuinely think the current situation was a plan and not Covid lead?

Now, with a global recession, all things have to do is go back a few years.

Production can stay the same, but the numbers of customers falls, availability increases and discounts become available.

The current situation was not planned by Rolex, or any other manufacturer.

Perhaps we disagree on the word luxury. They were certainly always a good watch, but I knew a lot of people in the 90’s who owned a Seamaster and had no interest in watches at all. They were priced above Tag Heuer but below Rolex - and a lot of jewellers carried a very large range of their watches. They weren’t remotely exclusive, and as this was before people generally used their phone as a wristwatch - all my mates wore a watch, and 9 times out of 10 if it wasn’t a cheap watch or a quartz Tag it was an Omega. To me luxury equates somewhat to exclusivity, and they were certainly not exclusive during that period. Not sure that earning demographics came into it as much back then as they might now with the preposterous prices (that’s not aimed at Omega directly, more of a generalisation)

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I have heard the same today.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Like omega, Tudor etc this is an annual thing. Cheapest time to buy is as soon as you can! I’ll being asking for an explorer 2 polar next year from my low cal AD with no purchase history. With the current market it will be interesting to see if I get one and how quickly.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 16th December 2022 at 22:01.

Master
    But, do you genuinely think the current situation was a plan and not Covid lead?

Now, with a global recession, all things have to do is go back a few years.

Production can stay the same, but the numbers of customers falls, availability increases and discounts become available.

The current situation was not planned by Rolex, or any other manufacturer.
    Yes we are in a recession but makers of luxury goods will still do everything to protect the brand because it is the brand image that separates them from the more lowly competition.

Therefore they will pander to those who are still doing ok and want exclusivity for the things they buy.

Yes we are in a recession but makers of luxury goods will still do everything to protect the brand because it is the brand image that separates them from the more lowly competition.

Therefore they will pander to those who are still doing ok and want exclusivity for the things they buy.
    I'm not trying to be obtuse, but it's nothing to do with protecting the brand. Nor did any brand plan this as business strategy. Yes, they've adjusted, with display models, waiting lists etc. and yes, there were a few hard to get watches previously and in those cases, production numbers were a factor.

A global pandemic started it and it's now gone. No, things won't get back to how they were overnight, but they will eventually.

Master
    I'm not trying to be obtuse, but it's nothing to do with protecting the brand. Nor did any brand plan this as business strategy. Yes, they've adjusted, with display models, waiting lists etc. and yes, there were a few hard to get watches previously and in those cases, production numbers were a factor.

A global pandemic started it and it's now gone. No, things won't get back to how they were overnight, but they will eventually.
    Rolex started cutting back on availability before covid came about. Their brand image was trash and you could walk in and get a 10% discount without asking.

Rolex started cutting back on availability before covid came about. Their brand image was trash and you could walk in and get a 10% discount without asking.
    OK, you're wrong, but no use flogging a dead horse.

Master
    OK, you're wrong, but no use flogging a dead horse.
    Whatever you say and I am adding you to my list of those not to deal with.

Utter bullshit (as usual).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Whatever you say and I am adding you to my list of those not to deal with.
    Deal with? You don't own any watches, so what deal could we do lolz.

I will continue to correct misinformation on threads, so may comment quite a lot on yours going forward.

Seriously? That really isn’t true. They’ve been the worlds most valued brand for years, decades even. Definitely not trash.

Master
    Blog Entries

If you think Rolex et al are in the current position by accident you are sorely mistaken. They are masters of marketing and have been for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    If you think Rolex et al are in the current position by accident you are sorely mistaken. They are masters of marketing and have been for decades.
    Absolutely.

I said the current situation today was instigated because of something out of their control and they've managed it. Who wouldn't want unpopular models to sell for above RRP?!

But that wasn't what I said.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Ignore him, engaging with him is like wrestling with a pig in muck, to make it even worse, he enjoys it.

Ignore him, engaging with him is like wrestling with a pig in muck, to make it even worse, he enjoys it.
    Excuse me?

I enjoy posting correct information. You bypass every challenge and there's a lot of challenges because you type utter twaddle.

Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    Sinn are also going to do the same, they say its because of the energy prices
    10% across the board?