closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thoughts on Rolex Trade OP36 for Exp 1

Thoughts on Rolex Trade OP36 for Exp 1

I am considering part exchanging my Rolex Oyster Perpetual (36mm)126000 for a Rolex Explorer (36mm)114270. Both are full sets with the Explorer being one of the last produced with the engraved Rolex rehault.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 14th February 2023 at 14:26.

Master
    Not mad--but not straightforward either. I compared the new, black dial OP with the new Explorer 1 and surprised myself by liking the OP better. And you've got the new movement and the new clasp.

The 114270 is a spectacular watch. I'd do the trade in a heartbeat but then I am an Explorer fanatic. Granted the clasp and movement maybe slightly upgraded on the OP36 but I think the proportions of the older Oyster 36mm case work better. With it being one of the last 114270 is nice too. I wear my V serial Explorer I with engraved Rehaut most out of all my Explorers, its a dream of a watch TBH.

Last edited by paneristi372; 15th December 2022 at 13:58.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’d swap but then I have an Explorer so I’m biased.

Thanks everyone. I am still a little undecided but feel the deal from the trade is fair so will no doubt proceed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The colour of your op is a factor and I can't see it mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    The colour of your op is a factor and I can't see it mentioned?
    It's a Black dial OP.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've asked my ad for that exact model, or the explorer. It's a dilemma for sure

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    I've asked my ad for that exact model, or the explorer. It's a dilemma for sure
    I personally found the new explorer too chunky and with the taper on the bracelet felt out of proportion, plus the clasp is small but very thick.

In my opinion the OP is the better of the watches but YMMV.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'll take whatever comes to be honest, I think they are both watches you can go through life with

Really is a personal choice to which you will see answers depending on preference. I'm in the Explorer camp too.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    Really is a personal choice to which you will see answers depending on preference. I'm in the Explorer camp too.
    Agreed on it being a personal choice so have decided to go ahead with the trade.

While the OP36 is an excellent all rounder the older Explorer is a true icon and just edges it for me.

Plus full set Explorer’s are becoming more difficult to find in good condition, OP’s are current and not to difficult to obtain.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Agreed on it being a personal choice so have decided to go ahead with the trade.

While the OP36 is an excellent all rounder the older Explorer is a true icon and just edges it for me.

Plus full set Explorer’s are becoming more difficult to find in good condition, OP’s are current and not to difficult to obtain.
    Wasn't my place to add rationale, but now you've decided, I 100% agree with that.

Grand Master
    Swapping an almost new watch for something over 10 years old?............not exactly comparing ‘like for like’.

Always surprises me that folks overlook this aspect in these discussions, even after servicing and refinishing an older watch is still exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Swapping an almost new watch for something over 10 years old?............not exactly comparing ‘like for like’.

Always surprises me that folks overlook this aspect in these discussions, even after servicing and refinishing an older watch is still exactly that.
    Does it really change anything being older?

The movement calibre 3130 was in production until very recently so should be serviceable for many years.

I think that the Explorer is the perfect one watch collection. Something for us all to work towards perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    I think that the Explorer is the perfect one watch collection. Something for us all to work towards perhaps?
    I like the idea of a one watch collection, however if you love watches why would you want to limit yourself? Personally I prefer to have lots of one watches....!

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

I would do the trade, the Explorer is a horological icon. I know the OP is better from some technical perspectives, but it’s not an Explorer. I like the 5 digit stuff, so modern improvements don’t always make a more compelling watch, at least to me.

The pics look good, but condition is absolutely key, and I think that can only be judged in person.

FWIW I’m wearing my 99 14270 today

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Does it really change anything being older?

The movement calibre 3130 was in production until very recently so should be serviceable for many years.
    Yes it does! There’s a misconception that servicing a watch returns the movement to ‘as new’ condition, which isn’t true. To their credit, Rolex do a good job of restoring the performance of a watch but the downside is the extra charge for older movements. No 2 watches are alike, a combination of regular use and lack of servicing will cause more wear and tear to parts that aren’t usually replaced, lack of lubrication is the issue. Buying an older watch also means buying a worn bracelet, these things don’t last forever. Also beware of over- enthusiastic refinishing, I’ve refinished a 5 digit 36mm case and believe me those lugs need treating carefully to avoid taking too much off!

I like the current OP 36, I briefly owned the earlier 116000 with fat lugs and blue 3-6-9 dial but didn’t really bond with it but I think I’d get along with the latest incarnation which has lost some lard, I owned a 114270 Explorer for 9 years and liked it, but eventually got bored with the watch and sold it 4 years ago. I like the ‘less is more’ concept, with no date, no ugly cyclops, no polished centre links and grained lug tops, but no way would I own either as a single watch! They’re OK as part of a collection but after a couple of weeks on the wrist I always felt it was time for a change.

One problem I had with the Explorer was getting the 6 side of the bracelet short enough to suit my square wrists, the watch always sat very slightly off-centre. I had the same issue with the 116000 OP36 and ended up buying a half- link from a ceramic sub to get a perfect fit. Not sure if the 126000 is better in this respect, the clasp needed upgrading to match the Datejust design IMO.

Swap a new 126000 for an ageing 114270 inevitably past its first flush of youth?........not for me! I like old watches, Currently wearing a 1950 Omega Seamaster that’s been my daily wearer for 2 weeks, but that’s a watch worth a few hundred quid and has no modern equivalent. If I was to choose a 36mm Rolex in the £5k league the new one would get my vote and I’d buy one of Eddie’s PRS -25 models for £350 to scratch the Explorer itch.

Appreciate your insight but the deal is now done I am pleased to say.

The OP36 is a great watch but I realised its not really for me, plus every girl in Essex has one!!

Appreciate your insight but the deal is now done I am pleased to say.

The OP36 is a great watch but I realised its not really for me, plus every girl in Essex has one!!
    Good choice, I LOVE my 36mm 114270, my wife has a 39mm 214270 MK1 and loves it, look s great on her wrist.