closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC Mark XX - Why I bought it and why I like it ....

Master
    Blog Entries

IWC Mark XX - Why I bought it and why I like it ....

Well I've been wearing it almost 3 weeks and thought I'd do a bit or a write up ... plenty of good reviews of this watch on line so I wont trawl through all that again ...

I don't really need another watch; I have a small collection that I considered complete and wasn't really looking to buy another.

First here is a photo:

I have a small collection but basically wear 4 watches; the rest are retained for sentimental reasons.

Explorer and BB58(black) are worn in rotation for 95% of the time. I have a Seiko quartz beater for cycling and DIY and a PRS-48 Navigator which I use when I don't want to be seen wearing an "expensive" watch ...

That collection has served me well but I have always had an interest/like of the IWC Mark Series and thought I had that covered with the PRS-48.

When they brought out the Mark XX I thought it was a nice watch with upgraded WR and took a trip to the IWC store in London to try it on as I thought it may be a bit big for me ... also tried on the Pilot 36.

I had wondered about the sword hands deviation from the clipped baton hour hand from the earlier Mark models and that it was a bit of a mixer of the Mark XI and Flieger German Pilot watches but with the larger dial the sword hands fill the space better and make the watch more legible. The Mark Series is an evolution and I think the sword hands are part of that evolution. I can't deny I'd rather see a Spitfire on the case back than the Ju 52 but I don't look at case backs.

Despite the watch being 40mm and a lug-lug measurement of 49mm it fits like a glove. I have concluded that watches and wrists are like bike saddles and backsides and it takes time to find the perfect pairing.

Even though the dimensions are bigger than the BB58 it just sits so nicely on the wrist and is more comfortable and less proud. The lugs curve round the write so it sits very well. It wears smaller than the BB58 but on paper looks bigger. Appearance wise there is more dial than the BB58 so looks perhaps bigger slightly visually.

Anyway ... after the trip to London I'd shown the photos I took in store to the wife and she was quite liking the Mark XX and so when TopCat30093 (Tony) put his on SC it seemed like a good offer and so I twisted the wife's arm and so the deal was done.

It was a long drive to collect the watch and so we combined it with a weekend away and were rewarded with a nice meet with Tony & his partner and had a great stay in a nice hotel with good food to add to the weekend.

I have been wearing it for almost 3 weeks now and I'm really impressed.

The bracelet and straps use and EasX-CHANGE system which is excellent and makes traditional spring bars look a bit agricultural. However, annoyingly I am between holes on the IWC strap so I'm back to old world spring bars with a leather strap.

The bracelet is a work of art with the quick change and the push button micro clasp and the easy way to can add and remove links. If you are not familiar with how it works see this youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI3LDtouRZo

Also the buckle is really nice with an easy system to move it between straps as the tang just pulls off and then the pin just slides out as shown here: at 1:23 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-toh1eYskdY

The thought that has gone into the bracelet, straps and buckle is far beyond what I have seen on my other watches.

Wearing the watch has been a real joy and having a watch that isn't recognisable as an expensive watch (to most) is good. I wouldn't bother switching down to the PRS-48 now and I think for most people they would not see the Mark XX in the same way as the would recognise the Explorer or BB58, as they are recognisable as luxury watches.

The time keeping is superb at a near constant +0.7s per day.

Overall I am really pleased with the Mark XX; it represents a bit of a change from the "tool" watches on bracelets which have been my standard fare for the last 25 years ... it is still a luxury/expensive watch but I think less obviously so and I think I am enjoying that aspect of it. Looks like the BB58 will be on SC in due course as I don't need so many watches.

Also; the long heritage of the Mark Series and the iconic design makes this a great watch; plus at a functional level it is very legible (although I do need my reading glasses for the date).

Conclusion is I like it and it is now my daily watch and the Explorer will be used less I suspect ...
    Last edited by Montello; 15th December 2022 at 12:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Well I've been wearing it almost 3 weeks and thought I'd do a bit or a write up ... plenty of good reviews of this watch on line so I wont trawl through all that again ...

I don't really need another watch; I have a small collection that I considered complete and wasn't really looking to buy another.

First here is a photo:

I have a small collection but basically wear 4 watches; the rest are retained for sentimental reasons.

Explorer and BB58(black) are worn in rotation for 95% of the time. I have a Seiko quartz beater for cycling and DIY and a PRS-48 Navigator which I use when I don't want to be seen wearing an "expensive" watch ...

That collection has served me well but I have always had an interest/like of the IWC Mark Series and thought I had that covered with the PRS-48.

When they brought out the Mark XX I thought it was a nice watch with upgraded WR and took a trip to the IWC store in London to try it on as I thought it may be a bit big for me ... also tried on the Pilot 36.

I had wondered about the sword hands deviation from the clipped baton hour hand from the earlier Mark models and that it was a bit of a mixer of the Mark XI and Flieger German Pilot watches but with the larger dial the sword hands fill the space better and make the watch more legible. The Mark Series is an evolution and I think the sword hands are part of that evolution. I can't deny I'd rather see a Spitfire on the case back than the Ju 52 but I don't look at case backs.

Despite the watch being 40mm and a lug-lug measurement of 49mm it fits like a glove. I have concluded that watches and wrists are like bike saddles and backsides and it takes time to find the perfect pairing.

Even though the dimensions are bigger than the BB58 it just sits so nicely on the wrist and is more comfortable and less proud. The lugs curve round the write so it sits very well. It wears smaller than the BB58 but on paper looks bigger. Appearance wise there is more dial than the BB58 so looks perhaps bigger slightly visually.

Anyway ... after the trip to London I'd shown the photos I took in store to the wife and she was quite liking the Mark XX and so when TopCat30093 (Tony) put his on SC it seemed like a good offer and so I twisted the wife's arm and so the deal was done.

It was a long drive to collect the watch and so we combined it with a weekend away and were rewarded with a nice meet with Tony & his partner and had a great stay in a nice hotel with good food to add to the weekend.

I have been wearing it for almost 3 weeks now and I'm really impressed.

The bracelet and straps use and EasX-CHANGE system which is excellent and makes traditional spring bars look a bit agricultural. However, annoyingly I am between holes on the IWC strap so I'm back to old world spring bars with a leather strap.

The bracelet is a work of art with the quick change and the push button micro clasp and the easy way to can add and remove links. If you are not familiar with how it works see this youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI3LDtouRZo

Also the buckle is really nice with an easy system to move it between straps as the tang just pulls off and then the pin just slides out as shown here: at 1:23 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-toh1eYskdY

The thought that has gone into the bracelet, straps and buckle is far beyond what I have seen on my other watches.

Wearing the watch has been a real joy and having a watch that isn't recognisable as an expensive watch (to most) is good. I wouldn't bother switching down to the PRS-48 now and I think for most people they would not see the Mark XX in the same way as the would recognise the Explorer or BB58, as they are recognisable as luxury watches.

The time keeping is superb at a near constant +0.7s per day.

Overall I am really pleased with the Mark XX; it represents a bit of a change from the "tool" watches on bracelets which have been my standard fare for the last 25 years ... it is still a luxury/expensive watch but I think less obviously so and I think I am enjoying that aspect of it. Looks like the BB58 will be on SC in due course as I don't need so many watches.

Also; the long heritage of the Mark Series and the iconic design makes this a great watch; plus at a functional level it is very legible (although I do need my reading glasses for the date).

Conclusion is I like it and it is now my daily watch and the Explorer will be used less I suspect ...
    nice review and glad you are enjoying it, i have the Pilot chrono 41mm with the same bracelet and strap system and agree that it is very impressive and the bracelet is probably the best ive had (better than the sub glidelock which was my previous favourite)

Master
    An excellent purchase.

Like you I have always had my eye on this series and have often thought about whether to buy one.

You have said nothing to change my opinion.

scooter

A good review that has peaked my interest.👍

May need to check them out next year.

Master
    Looks great. A blue dialled XX was going to be my next watch, until a certain GO SeaQ Two Tone jumped out and bit me! Pretty sure I’ll still get one, just not yet.

Master
    Nice review. I have the MKXVIII and agree with all the comments above in terms of styling, clasp, bracelet etc. Overall it’s a timeless design. Enjoy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Nice review. I have the MKXVIII and agree with all the comments above in terms of styling, clasp, bracelet etc. Overall it’s a timeless design. Enjoy.
    The XX is a subtle revision on the XVIII ... both classics IMHO ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Looks great. A blue dialled XX was going to be my next watch, until a certain GO SeaQ Two Tone jumped out and bit me! Pretty sure I’ll still get one, just not yet.

When I visited the store I tried both the blue and the green dialled ones; both really eye catching watches but for me the Mark Series is all about the standard black dial.

Master
    The XX is a subtle revision on the XVIII ... both classics IMHO ...
    I think so. It’s an incredible package for the price. I have the le petit prince version which I am glad I got before they stopped the collaboration.

Master
    Beautiful. I wish IWC will make a diver along these classic lines.

When I visited the store I tried both the blue and the green dialled ones; both really eye catching watches but for me the Mark Series is all about the standard black dial.
    I have the green dialled one which I really like but I think you're right - if I didn't have a black dialled Pilot's Chrono 41 I'd have gone black for the Mark XX.

Completely agree with the points made in this thread. It's a great quality watch but I love the fact that it's low profile - I generally don't like my watches to be overly recognisable or to attract attention. The excellent quick change strap system really helps with this. If I want to change the sightly more bling bracelet for a rubber or leather strap, I can do it in seconds.

And the OP says, I love the thought and engineering that's gone into the bracelet: quick exchange, micro adjust button in the clasp and tool free link removal. It's superb.

Sent from my LE2113 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TH14TH14; 15th December 2022 at 20:03.

Funnily enough I was contemplating starting a thread in praise of the Mark18 (I have the brown dial Saint Exupéry edition).

I got rid of the majority of my collection to help fund a property purchase and the Mark 18 is one of a handful of watches that remain. Tbh this is not because I liked it more than those that went, rather the other watches were much easier to sell on at good money.

The property purchase is done and dusted now and my attention has turned once more to watches. I've been wearing my cheap and cheerful quartz watches for the last few months but I got the Mark18 out recently. Perhaps it's because I'm used to wearing my cheap beaters lately and the Rolexes are a distant memory but I was really taken by the quality of the IWC. Specifically, the dial printing and sunburst dial, the case finishing and chamfering and the polished bezel all scream quality. It is beautifully slim too. It really is a fantastic watch. Mine is powered by a Sellita SW300-1 (standard Mark18 is ETA) and its by far my best performing watch. When worn continuously and stored dial up at night it is +/-0 secs.

I note that all MarkXX now have the polished bezel like the Saint Exupéry editions of the Mark18 (the standard Mark18 had a brushed bezel). In my view this is a good move and it makes the watch even more special and works well with the chamfered edges.

Enjoy your XX!

Nice write up. It really makes me miss my old Mark XII, though.

Craftsman
    Iwc make some very nice pilots watches these days

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Nice write up. It really makes me miss my old Mark XII, though.

Ouch! I would definitely miss that too. They’re few and far between. A couple of months ago I was fortunate enough to acquire a Mark XVI via a WTB and just yesterday a Mark XV also arrived. It would be good to make it a treble with a Mark XX but I’ll enjoy what I have.

Great incoming thread too!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Ouch! I would definitely miss that too. They’re few and far between. A couple of months ago I was fortunate enough to acquire a Mark XVI via a WTB and just yesterday a Mark XV also arrived. It would be good to make it a treble with a Mark XX but I’ll enjoy what I have.

I wonder if anyone is crazy enough to collect all of the Mark series in a Dirty Dozen style …

Master
    I wonder if anyone is crazy enough to collect all of the Mark series in a Dirty Dozen style …
    Oh for a Mark 11. There’s some cracking examples owned by members here. I’d definitely skip the Mark 17, that triple date window isn’t for me.

Master
    I agree with this, but - I did love the white dial XV. And actually my favourite Mark - one I've never seen in the platinum - is the blue dial special edition XII. Picture nicked randomly from the WWW.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’d never realised that the Mark series had spawned so many limited editions. That white XV in the regrets topic was a fine example.

I've been trying to replace it for years. Most seem to have dial and hand replacements, or otherwise the bezels are knackered (and because it's a one-piece case design so you can't replace it or remove it).

Master
    Mine had a dial replacement a few years back, because

Certainly I preferred the old dial but the new dial and the hands still match pretty closely. So I got over it.

Nice review. IWC do make lovely watches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quite a nice review released a couple of days ago, don’t agree with it all but still worth a view.

https://youtu.be/3CFvOVGVoKI

A magnificent purchase OP.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    A magnificent purchase OP.
    Thank you, interesting to review how my taste has changed. I’ve been on “the list” for a sub for 2 years now. If I get the call I’m not sure what I’d do now, plus I’ve just dented the budget with the Mark XX.

Take the Sub and flip it, covering half the cost of the IWC.

Thank you, interesting to review how my taste has changed. I’ve been on “the list” for a sub for 2 years now. If I get the call I’m not sure what I’d do now, plus I’ve just dented the budget with the Mark XX.

Craftsman
    Xvi was the sweet spot imo circa 2010

Hands right, date right, iwc fucked them after this one, stupid hands, moving the date 3 times.
    The xx is the closest to the xvi now but sadly too big, so xvi wins again at 39mm.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post

Hands right, date right, iwc ****** them after this one, stupid hands, moving the date 3 times.
    The xx is the closest to the xvi now but sadly too big, so xvi wins again at 39mm.
    This is a public part of the forum. You’d be wise to amend your original post.

What about the Pilot XII with the JLC movement?

Master

I’ve had a few of the Mark series … here is my 39mm fav so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post

Hands right, date right, iwc ****ed them after this one, stupid hands, moving the date 3 times.
    Mark XVI has the sword hands as per the XX.
    Last edited by Montello; 18th December 2022 at 19:01.

Apprentice
    How did you remove the spring bars?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
    How did you remove the spring bars?
    The normal way with a spring bar tool.

Apprentice
    Mine are different. They are shoulderless and other than cutting, I can find no way to remove them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
    Mine are different. They are shoulderless and other than cutting, I can find no way to remove them.
    Oh, I bought mine used but I don’t think the previous owner did that as they used the IWC straps.

Master
    Oh for a Mark 11. There’s some cracking examples owned by members here. I’d definitely skip the Mark 17, that triple date window isn’t for me.
    The MKXVII is my favourite in the range because of the triple date window and the fact it’s the biggest case sized MK series watch at 41mm. It’s also the last series to use the ETA 2892 movement, before the XVIII moved to a Sellita SW-300.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by neebsta View Post
    The MKXVII is my favourite in the range because of the triple date window and the fact it’s the biggest case sized MK series watch at 41mm. It’s also the last series to use the ETA 2892 movement, before the XVIII moved to a Sellita SW-300.

Looks good on that strap. Is it an IWC fabric one? And the ETA movement is definitely a big plus too.

Master
    Looks good on that strap. Is it an IWC fabric one? And the ETA movement is definitely a big plus too.
    Yes, I have a stash of OEM IWC NATOs. My favourite combination.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by neebsta View Post
    Yes, I have a stash of OEM IWC NATOs. My favourite combination.

Great straps and I’m beginning to warm to the Mark XVII. I’ll try and post a picture or two of my XV and XVI tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    I would like to get the S/S version of the SeaQ, but prices unfortunately are still too high for me.

Excellent review Rick, so pleased that you are happy with it.
    The watch just sits so perfectly on a flat wrist, which I prefer, as you can't see the underneath.
    As you know if it hadn't been for my OCD with the date, and refusing to wear my reading glasses all the time - though I am sure with time that will change. I would not have sold it.

I know that it marks a special anniversary, for you and your wife.
    And will offer you a life time of service.

Master

I’ve had the Mark XVI a couple of months now, acquired via a WTB for a Mark XV. It’s near enough a full set including a bracelet. The Mark XV arrived via the same WTB late last week. There’s enough differences to justify keeping two ostensibly similar watches.