closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In praise of the 40mm Aerospace

In praise of the 40mm Aerospace

My superquartz E75362 dates to December 2004 and is a do anything watch for me. Especially brilliant for holidays (no need to take another watch).

In the last couple of years the digital displays started to flake even although it still worked perfectly and kept time within 10s per year.

But it started to annoy me so with some trepidation off to Breitling it went for a movement service. Trepidation because I have been aware of many stories of them gouging you with all sorts of additional
    work.

I should not have worried as Breitling were superb throughout from the despatch of the service pack to the work on the watch itself (it is back operating like new). No extras were quoted.

Some not so good photos are below but having the watch back reminds me what a great watch this is with the 100m water resistance an added bonus.

Most TZers appear to prefer the Avantage model at 42mm but the 40mm is just right in my eyes even with the absence of a backlight (lume is sensational though).

The Aerospace is truly an icon and sits equally in status with my mechanical watches.

Thing I like the most? Superb and instant legibility. Although the incredible timekeeping is nice too!

Would be good to hear other views on this classic (particularly the 40mm version but comments on any iteration are welcome).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I love mine, its an earlier E56061. You can see a few subtle differences from yours.

I picked it up on this very forum. They are definitely unlike most other watches, due to them being so light and slim. They do feel bullet proof though.

Any idea how you date these? I cant seem to find a reilable source.

Good to hear Brietling were ok. I dont know the last time mine had a battery or a service so it may need to go back to BUK at some point.

Last edited by Slevin Kelevra; 14th December 2022 at 16:52.

Yes - pretty unique watch. On first handling they appear delicate but in fact as you say - bullet proof.

I was pleasantly surprised with Breitling. Top notch throughout.

- - - Updated - - -

And your own looks great - even more like a cockpit instrument!

I’m not sure how you date exactly without papers but the various model and style changes (I think these are listed in Breitling Source) give an approximate range of dates.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rushroon View Post
    Yes - pretty unique watch. On first handling they appear delicate but in fact as you say - bullet proof.

I was pleasantly surprised with Breitling. Top notch throughout.

- - - Updated - - -

And your own looks great - even more like a cockpit instrument!
    Cheers. Before I owned an Aerospace I could never work out how you could operate all those functions with just the crown but after a short period of owning it becomes extremely simple.

Master
    The Watches of Espionage IG page features his Aerospace quite heavily. He has some cool stories.

I was the same! Takes a bit of skill to master the fast crown spin for rapid advancement of the hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    The Watches of Espionage IG page features his Aerospace quite heavily. He has some cool stories.
    Cheers - will check this out👍

Master
    There is an Hodinkee article about the chap

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...-of-timepieces

Perfect - thank you!

I have a Tornado version that I have worn around the world as a daily for 10 years. It's also been supersonic in the back of an F3 prior to my ownership. Never missed a beat though I don't really wear it these days, the combinations of a snaggy bezel plus I've been told never to get it wet (as the dial isn't replaceable) don't make it a great everyday watch anymore.

I now change the battery myself every few years and put it back in the watch case :)

I have the Avantage that I'm wearing as I type. I agree with the OP and others that it's a superb daily. I bought mine new from Bahrain in 2005 and when I was flying for a living (RAF), in the days before smartphones, it was all I needed: dual time, alarm etc. I should have purchased a Tornado special edition (as one of my former rides was the GR1) but I didn't.

Last edited by Skier; 14th December 2022 at 18:45.

I wholeheartedly miss my avantage. An awesome everyday and travel watch.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    I’ve got the evo night mission. So stealthy and happily wear around in London without any worry

Great to hear stories on the utility of this watch either in military or civilian life.

Master
    I'm so close to buying one of these as a daily. The only thing holding me back is that I also want the MR-G G2000R and can only justify one or the other. Also wondering if the Aerospace is too thin and light as I prefer a slightly thicker heavier watch.

I'm a massive ana-digi fan and my mate has had loads of different Aerospace, plus X33's and Tissot, but the Aerospace has never 'been spoilt'. In whatever guise I think it is a fabulous watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    I'm a massive ana-digi fan and my mate has had loads of different Aerospace, plus X33's and Tissot, but the Aerospace has never 'been spoilt'. In whatever guise I think it is a fabulous watch.
    Cool story bro

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Cool story bro
    I see what you did there

Here's mine and the reasons why I love it.

Blog Entries
    I do like the Aerospace, but for me the X33 MK2 wins the ani-digi, or closely followed by the B1 - are my personal choices.

Thanks for sharing OP!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I have had a number of Aerospace models and flipped them over the years. I like all versions, I have tried the 40mm, about 5 Avantage models, 3 of the standard Evos and a few night missions.

After all that, the night mission is definitely my favourite. Obviously larger in size but to my eyes, I just prefer it.

I really like the black one I had.

But my current one is my favourite of any of them, without question.

Last edited by Gavbaz; 14th December 2022 at 22:19.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I do like the Aerospace, but for me the X33 MK2 wins the ani-digi, or closely followed by the B1 - are my personal choices.

Thanks for sharing OP!
    It's an interesting choice as I have both the Aerospace and X33. I wear the Aerospace more, but I would keep the X33 over the Aerospace. The X33 does what it does better, but the Aerospace is a better all rounder. Thankfully I don't have to get rid of either.

Master
    I had one for years; the same model as the one in the first post. I loved it at the time and it always accompanied on foreign trips - I used to think of it as the ultimate hi-tech practical travel watch. However I bought one of the aviator model ana-digi G Shocks about ten years ago and that sucked the fun out of the Breitling for me. The G Shock just seemed to do everything the Aero did better, and it did more.

Bought mine around 1996/97 I think.

Was a great watch for travel and weighs so little (75g springs to mind).

Mine needed a new movement (orig no longer made - so a superquartz movement fitted).

Had a hell of a job getting a detailed work sheet from Breitling !

I'll be honest, within the RAF, I associate that 40mm model of Aerospace with older spec air crew navigators sat in desk jobs.

Master
    Blog Entries

Here’s mine - nicely patina’d ( full of DNA and scratches) with AR blemishes from the Saudi heat. I keep meaning to get it cleaned at the local watchmakers

Taken during recent visit to Fife, EGQL looks just the same but a lot quieter.

Last edited by Middo; 15th December 2022 at 21:39.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I'll be honest, within the RAF, I associate that 40mm model of Aerospace with older spec air crew navigators sat in desk jobs.
    Nick and Giles like this………

I love mine, so light on a canvas strap you hardly know its on, think it might need a trip to Breitling at some point because the crown is quite tight, I've never managed to give it a quick spin which makes changing the time and setting alarms quite a chore.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Nick and Giles like this………
    Ha ha. True.

Master
    I really like these

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    Great account well worth a follow

I've been really tempted by these in the past but I'm a right wrist wearer so couldn't (easily) use the full functionality without taking it off to access the crown.

I assume that to be the case anyway.

Has any fellow left-handed-afflicted WIS ever tried? Perhaps you could persuade me it's worth it?

I’ve owned B1’s, B55 and B50’s, Omega X33 but I always come back to the Aerospace, they look great and are superb traveller/daily wear watches, sometimes I question their value when you see how incredible the high end G-shocks are now but I discard the logic because I love the look of them. I currently have the Evo version as I generally prefer larger watches.

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    I've been really tempted by these in the past but I'm a right wrist wearer so couldn't (easily) use the full functionality without taking it off to access the crown.

I assume that to be the case anyway.

Has any fellow left-handed-afflicted WIS ever tried? Perhaps you could persuade me it's worth it?
    I'm also a right wrist wearer and I do indeed take it off to operate the crown. The exception is the chronograph which is operated through pressing the crown if you're already in the right mode.

Apprentice
    I looked for one in an AD and was told they are being discontinued, any truth in that?

My pair. I think they're very attactive watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_Ireland View Post
    I looked for one in an AD and was told they are being discontinued, any truth in that?
    My Breitling AD told they they had been discontinued a few years ago but they are still showing on the Breitling website although you don’t see many available in AD’s so I’m not sure what the situation is.

Master
    Just in, already posted this pic in another thread but any excuse.......

Stupid thread…
    I have had at least 4 Aerospace 40mm, and a few of the 42mm Avantage.

Always ended up flipping them… but I have just had to go and buy another after reading through this.

Arrives 3rd Jan!!!

You lot are terrible enablers.

I actually think the 40mm would be my perfect watch if it had a backlight - but as it doesn’t, I am going to retry the Avantage on some sort of canvas strap (as I find the bracelet clasp catches on things - has made me sell 2 of the same!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Just in, already posted this pic in another thread but any excuse.......

Best looking Aerospace, looks stunning.

I wish people would stop posting pics of the night mission, mainly because I can’t afford one.

Edit: I assume most generations of aerospace offer similar functionality and quality? Or should you aim for the evo?
    Last edited by acg; 23rd December 2022 at 10:32.

The functionality is the same but the quality improves with each iteration. As my initial post suggests, I prefer the 40mm but I also have a blue dial 42mm Avantage and the quality is a bit higher I would say (although the 40mm is no slouch in that department). I've not handled the 43mm EVO but it does look even higher quality still.

Master
    The early models don’t have the minute repeater or a back light.

Overall, the functionality is excellent for all models.

Mine is maybe the oldest model on this thread and my only slight issue is the bezel action is ever so slightly loose. The actual operation of the movement and crown etc are absolutely spot on.

I still think there are some minor tweaks that good improve the Aerospace further, such as an improved way of operating the back light NVG feature and a louder alarm.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Here’s mine - nicely patina’d ( full of DNA and scratches) with AR blemishes from the Saudi heat. I keep meaning to get it cleaned at the local watchmakers

Taken during recent visit to Fife, EGQL looks just the same but a lot quieter.

I have one dedicated to the last Vulcan bomber. I jumped at the chance to buy when it became available.

Hardly worn to be fair and if I recall the titanium bracelet is a tad tight fitting.

Don’t ask me to post pics cos I still can’t get my head round the “how to” bit for on here. Ho hum.

A full set too

Jim

The Aerospace peaked with the 42mm model made between 2005-2012. I could never get on with the 2013-Present EVO’s 43mm case, skeleton hour hand and generally unsettling proportions.

I never really cared much for pre-2005 models as they lacked back lighting, Superquartz movement, so so bracelets and the “Nascar” italicized numbers in the dial.

Last edited by Caruso; 11th February 2023 at 15:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I do like that, a lot. Sadly not 11k dollars lot...

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I do like that, a lot. Sadly not 11k dollars lot...
    It's so decadent that they made what was supposed to be a lightweight watch out of 18k gold, and with the blue dial it really pops. But agreed it's too rich for my wallet also.