TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rant about sales assistants

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    We call it marriage up north.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Doubtful they were Chinese tourists as China is still largely shut and lots of hoops have to be jumped through to get back.

More likely Thai, Korean etc.
    Tosh.

If you're a Chinese citizen then there's no hoops to jump through to get back in. It's just a PIA when you get back in.

etc.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 15th December 2022 at 00:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    At my age, a ‘bag for life’ is a complete waste of money
    Could it not be part of your estate when you pass?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Could it not be part of your estate when you pass?
    Maybe for his ashes?

Blog Entries
    This customer ‘profiling’ will come back to bite these arrogant retailers when the Chinese have gone elsewhere. The retailers will be anxiously looking around for ANY customers and will be met with a thundering cacophony of ‘*UCK YOU’ from prospective customers who have been treated snottily in the past. Customer trust and satisfaction takes years to build and can be lost in weeks and when snotty ‘managers’ and shop assistants have hauled their snotty arses on to be snotty somewhere else, it is the brand that ultimately suffers!

This attitude just pushes people to shop online meaning eventually there will be no need for sales assistants.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    This customer ‘profiling’ will come back to bite these arrogant retailers when the Chinese have gone elsewhere. The retailers will be anxiously looking around for ANY customers and will be met with a thundering cacophony of ‘*UCK YOU’ from prospective customers who have been treated snottily in the past. Customer trust and satisfaction takes years to build and can be lost in weeks and when snotty ‘managers’ and shop assistants have hauled their snotty arses on to be snotty somewhere else, it is the brand that ultimately suffers!
    Don't think so. There is such a rapid growth in those that can afford luxury items and will be prepared to put up and pay up regardless so that they can be part of the set.

I do think it must be difficult for the sales people dealing with the sale of these vastly overpriced items when they themselves are on little more than the basic wage

Master

Rant about sales assistants

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Don't think so. There is such a rapid growth in those that can afford luxury items and will be prepared to put up and pay up regardless so that they can be part of the set.

I do think it must be difficult for the sales people dealing with the sale of these vastly overpriced items when they themselves are on little more than the basic wage
    Surely they get commission, I might not be a bad earner depending on sales

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Surely they get commission, I might not be a bad earner depending on sales
    I wouldn’t count on it. Lot of this stuff sells itself.

Master
    I’d have summoned up the mother of all trouser coughs and wandered nonchalantly around the store, lingering in front of those haughty assistants, waiting for their noses to twitch. Just when they thought the assault upon their olfactory senses was over, I’d then rustle up a potential cloth toucher of a chuff, guaranteed to have them gagging for clean air. Revenge is a silent but deadly fart in a crowded room.
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 15th December 2022 at 21:59.

Master
    I couldn't be bothered. Just walk out. They have a captive market, you want one you'll be back. Once got turned away from the Paris Ritz as I didn't look right (I was trying to see the dinner menu). Went round the corner to The Crillon where a waiter came to me with a menu, explained the dishes and took my booking. Ritz didn't need my money. The Crillon famously refused to let Madonna stay there. AT the height of her Material Girl success the hotel didn't want/need the hassle of pop stars, fans etc. There are a few LV stores now so try another.Back in my spend days it was Bond/Sloane St. That was it for the UK

Craftsman
    Shopping on Bond Street is no longer a pleasurable experience. They make you queue outside and then on entry you you join a virtual queue with no transparency. Our last visit in Hermes, which was busy, was a 2 hour wait in doors. We kept our cool and quietly chased up and benefited from 2 bottles of vintage champagne to while away the time. Additionally, due to our patience they brought out some of the sought after bags to let us buy, which we did not

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    Shopping on Bond Street is no longer a pleasurable experience. They make you queue outside and then on entry you you join a virtual queue with no transparency. Our last visit in Hermes, which was busy, was a 2 hour wait in doors. We kept our cool and quietly chased up and benefited from 2 bottles of vintage champagne to while away the time. Additionally, due to our patience they brought out some of the sought after bags to let us buy, which we did not
    I walk down Bond Street at least 3 days a week on the way to and way home from work
    I think it’s utterly bizarre that people are willing to wait outside a shop in the hope they might be allowed to buy something. When you look inside they are largely empty, just a queue of people outside.

I walk down Bond Street at least 3 days a week on the way to and way home from work
    I think it’s utterly bizarre that people are willing to wait outside a shop in the hope they might be allowed to buy something. When you look inside they are largely empty, just a queue of people outside.
    Bit like walking by a Dishoom.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 16th December 2022 at 14:41.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Bit like walking by a Dishoom.
    Pretty much, nice food but I will be bu99ered if I am going to wait in the cold for it. There are nicer Indian restaurants if you know where to find them and they don’t have a queue. You can call them and book a table, or even go on line, I think this tech stuff might catch on one day…

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I was there this weekend and didnt bother going in as the queue was bonkers. Easier to buy online.
    That said though, why the hell are people now queueing right across the road for Ralph Lauren coffee?! Has it got crack in it?

Maybe its a solution to the Rolex waiting lists, you have to queue outside the dealer for 3 years before you get inside and the shop may have one for you. Probably not though..
    Survivor of the queue wins, extreme watch queuing, it could be the next TV hit..

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    Survivor of the queue wins, extreme watch queuing, it could be the next TV hit..
    Swatch already have the franchise, I think the show's called the MoonSwatch.

Master

Surely they don’t have ‘preferred’ customers from The Middle East and Asia queuing in the cold.

I had a quick Google and it looks as though the sales assistants get up to 10% commission. So it probably suits them to serve 1 customer who spends 100k than 20-30 spending 1-5k?

Ultimately they’re clearly not catering to anyone spending low amounts of money whether from overseas or not

Has anyone thrown in the "veblen" word yet?

Master
    LVMH Chairman has just become the richest man in the world so their sales techniques seem to be working perfectly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Surely they don’t have ‘preferred’ customers from The Middle East and Asia queuing in the cold.

I had a quick Google and it looks as though the sales assistants get up to 10% commission. So it probably suits them to serve 1 customer who spends 100k than 20-30 spending 1-5k?

Ultimately they’re clearly not catering to anyone spending low amounts of money whether from overseas or not

I think it's more likely that they receive commission based on selling more than the previous year etc. They deffo Won't walk away with 10k from a 100k sale...

Master
    I went into Belstaff in regent street a few years ago and got similar treatment .

Even knew the models I was interested in . Shrew of a shop assistant , smirked her way through my requests saying she didn’t think it would suit me . Tried on a panther and hated it to be fair .

Tried a few more and was just hacked off with her attitude. Said I’d had enough and she needed to learn how to talk to cusromers . Put my own jacket on which I hadn’t been wearing and had crumpled in a ball :

Belstaff Mojave , she gave a little surprised look when I pulled it on and I turned my back on her and walked out the store . Never been back in .

***k me, I’ve just had similar treatment from the checkout girl in Wickes!
    Last edited by Dave+63; 16th December 2022 at 19:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    **** me, I’ve just had similar treatment from the checkout girl in Wickes!
    FYI
    G&D Not BP

Wickes is where the cool kids hang out!

FYI
    G&D Not BP

Wickes is where the cool kids hang out!
    Thanks, I’m on tapatalk and not paying attention!

It’s a rant, I incorrectly assumed it was in the pit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    We call it marriage up north.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I went into Belstaff in regent street a few years ago and got similar treatment .

Even knew the models I was interested in . Shrew of a shop assistant , smirked her way through my requests saying she didn’t think it would suit me . Tried on a panther and hated it to be fair .

Tried a few more and was just hacked off with her attitude. Said I’d had enough and she needed to learn how to talk to cusromers . Put my own jacket on which I hadn’t been wearing and had crumpled in a ball :

Belstaff Mojave , she gave a little surprised look when I pulled it on and I turned my back on her and walked out the store . Never been back in .
    A few weeks ago I went to the Belstaff store in Ashford. It was hilarious, every customer was a male in their late 40s or early 50s. The young female assistant was straight over with a ready smile; she recognised the saddo profile of their core customer in a flash. I did my bit by wearing a Barbour.

Apologies to any fellow forumites there at the same time, I should have said hello. Maybe we can jangle the MX5 keyring as a semi-secret signal next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Tosh.

If you're a Chinese citizen then there's no hoops to jump through to get back in. It's just a PIA when you get back in.

etc.
    Apparently they’re not approving visas for short trips for shopping etc to try and limit people travelling. It’s mainly for longer trips and then you still need to get two negative covid tests from two different centres using different tests to get on the flight home and then isolate on return. PIA as you say.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    Apparently they’re not approving visas for short trips for shopping etc to try and limit people travelling. It’s mainly for longer trips and then you still need to get two negative covid tests from two different centres using different tests to get on the flight home and then isolate on return. PIA as you say.
    Wow that’s some testing requirement!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    You've reminded of me of a visit years ago to Watches of Switzerland. I'd had a couple of items off them but saw a Panerai gmt alarm pre owned for £4k. Went in and the assistant all but said she wouldn't sell it to me. Had a Datejust to trade and it had the crystal replaced by Rolex and a service and she told me it was damaged. She made me a derisory offer but she just didn't want me to buy the watch. Some yrs later a staff member there told me I wasn't the only one it happened to and they let her go.

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    Agreed, but a Chinese citizen does not have to “jump through hoops” to get back in.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 17th December 2022 at 00:56.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    A few weeks ago I went to the Belstaff store in Ashford. It was hilarious, every customer was a male in their late 40s or early 50s. The young female assistant was straight over with a ready smile; she recognised the saddo profile of their core customer in a flash. I did my bit by wearing a Barbour.

Apologies to any fellow forumites there at the same time, I should have said hello. Maybe we can jangle the MX5 keyring as a semi-secret signal next time.

Lol
    Bought a trailmaster about 3 yrs ago-hangs in wardrobe unworn,labels all intact.
    Keep meaning to list it on here but can't be arsed packaging it up for posting.
    I'll need to order something of a similar size and steal the packaging from it.
    Coming to SC soon-well in the next couple of yrs hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Agreed, but a Chinese citizen does not have to “jump through hoops” to get back in.
    Sounds like jumping through hoops to me. Basically a big disincentive to fly overseas for tourism purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Sounds like jumping through hoops to me. Basically a big disincentive to fly overseas for tourism purposes.
    Not really. They are being tested almost every day in country. Standing in line for two hours at a time. Locals want to get away for that very reason. Doing a couple of tests on return is nothing to them. This has now been reduced to one test 48 hours prior to travel.

Quarantine is not jumping through hoops... it's just a PIA, as previously stated.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 17th December 2022 at 04:27.

Craftsman
    I had a similar experience at the Patek boutique in London. I was dressed casually and went to collect a watch that had been in for a service. They wouldn't let me in initially, so I went for a coffee around the corner. I came back and explained I was collecting a watch again. They let me in and I paid the bill for the service and collected the watch. The manager said to me "I hope we don't see you back here again". Suffice to say I've never been back.

Quote Originally Posted by A440 View Post
    I had a similar experience at the Patek boutique in London. I was dressed casually and went to collect a watch that had been in for a service. They wouldn't let me in initially, so I went for a coffee around the corner. I came back and explained I was collecting a watch again. They let me in and I paid the bill for the service and collected the watch. The manager said to me "I hope we don't see you back here again". Suffice to say I've never been back.
    That's atrocious - why on Earth did he say that, did you kick up a fuss when you weren't allowed in?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    That's atrocious - why on Earth did he say that, did you kick up a fuss when you weren't allowed in?
    No I just went for a coffee. I don't enjoy confrontation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Assuming he said it meaning that the watch doesn't need any more attention.
    Otherwise it would be very strange.

Master
    Was in the Patek store in Geneva at the start of this year and they were very courteous and helpful.
    The same in Bucherer store-great service.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post

That was my initial thought - a quip about reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by A440 View Post
    I had a similar experience at the Patek boutique in London. …The manager said to me "I hope we don't see you back here again". Suffice to say I've never been back.
    Really? It has to be a misunderstanding.
    If intended in the way taken, Why did you not take this further? It would totally unacceptable for any service industry luxury or not. You were a paying customer. I would have thrown all manner of f**** in to the employee and demanded to talk to the management there and then. Followed by an email / letter to the company as a follow up.
    I can’t imagine an establishment like PP allowing this to stand from one of their employees, it has to be a miss interpretation of their words
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 17th December 2022 at 13:05.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    It's possible that he was commenting about the watch not needing further attention. Although I didn't interpret it as that at the time.