closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Strange hobby

Blog Entries

Strange hobby

I have a safe full of expensive watches - but at the moment because I’ve started going to the gym three times a week I am finding I stick with my trusty £25 Casio

Such a shame the swiss watches aren’t getting worn. Do others go through phases of only wearing their “beater” watch(es).
    Martyn
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I wear my rolexes on occasions to the gym

Master
    I tried.

I cleared out all and went purely with my Apple Watch (which I class as a beater). It went well for a couple of months, but then I couldn't do it any more. I had to have something mechanical back in my life.

The AW is still my gym device, but the moment I'm back in the car it's dispensed with until the next session.

I wear my 5711 beater to the gym.

P.S. If your photo is recent, I find that quite depressing (for us in the UK)!

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post

Impressive

Master
    I wore my oris aquis, left it on top of the rowing machine, went back the next day and it was still there.
    Bad for their cleaning routine, bloody good for me. I don't wear a watch to the gym now.

Strange hobby

The thing is, I like my inexpensive stuff just as much as the expensive luxury stuff. If pretty happy with a Seiko, Sinn or CWC most days.

I often compare my CWC G10 with the Explorer 14270. The Explorer must be worth not far off 30x what the CWC is, but my happiness in wearing them is equal.

Strange hobby indeed!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkt

My high-days-and-holidays watches rarely see daylight, but I have beaters in abundance from £disposable through to £moderate, and I live in those, sometimes with several changes a day when I'm being extra-saddo...

It's all good - watches of every kind constitute the hobby, and should always be more than just a flex.

Craftsman
    Sadly I am in the same boat. I wear my Apple beater almost too much. When I am in the office (commute by train) and gyming after work, i wouldn’t wear my mechanical watch to work out, or risk it in the locker, so it’s better it stays at home. I have on occasions left it in my pocket but I don’t like that, plus I do like tracking my workouts, I would never do 2 watches at once, so Apple wins mostly.

I absolutely still love my mechanical watches but am now finding it harder to justify to the wife why I still have a watch wish list. She doesn’t understand it but I do and will keep on playing the game.

I suppose it depends what people do at the gym. If you're just on a running machine or doing light weights I expect you can wear any mechanical watch you like.

I would never wear a mechanical watch when doing deadlifts because of the continual heavy shocks and certainly it's not possible to wear any watch when cleaning and pressing a kettlebell as the watch would end up between your wrist and the kettlebell!

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

my recent purchases are all <1K and this is durable, tough, cheap and goes everywhere with me

Happen the same with my apple watch. But i have my mechanic watches when i feel the need of something "real watch"

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post

Brave and why not if you want to! I was wearing my 7234G but didn’t want to ruin the leather strap or bash up the white gold on weights. The weather has got more rainy recently - which is needed - but still 18C at night. It should clear up for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I suppose it depends what people do at the gym. If you're just on a running machine or doing light weights I expect you can wear any mechanical watch you like.

I would never wear a mechanical watch when doing deadlifts because of the continual heavy shocks and certainly it's not possible to wear any watch when cleaning and pressing a kettlebell as the watch would end up between your wrist and the kettlebell!

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk
    yep - kettlebells are a killer - a big reason to switch to my Casio (I also have a Fitbit to record biometrics but not easy to see the time while tracking heart rate).

As you may have guessed this was a bit of a tongue in cheek post. I still love my mechanicals and my X-33.

Used to wear my pre hype zenith Daytona to work , gym ,every where, every day when value was below 7k. now it’s a struggle to get it out for more than once a week but hey ho

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I wear my Divex beater 99% of the time and can easily go a couple of months if not longer without touching any of the nice watches. Only a couple of weeks back I was lucky enough to pick up a new Rolex, that’s now tucked away and not been worn since collection day. As you say, strange hobby.

Master
    I now seem to fleet between the AW and the real watches I have.

After getting the AW as part of my Vitality insurance I wore it constantly for about a year, different straps and a carbon surround for it but then want to wear my normal watches again.

This has been a bit of a slippery slope with regretting the selling of the Speedy the other year and then buying a couple more watches and now seem to wear the AW to get my points for the day or week and then not wear it and go with a normal watch.

Wanting to wear a normal watch so much that I ended up for Holiday getting cheap Garmin Vivo for just doing steps and then ended up not using that either.

I think I just go through different stages of what I am wanting to wear. The Vitality part is now knowing how to play the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    The thing is, I like my inexpensive stuff just as much as the expensive luxury stuff. If pretty happy with a Seiko, Sinn or CWC most days.

I often compare my CWC G10 with the Explorer 14270. The Explorer must be worth not far off 30x what the CWC is, but my happiness in wearing them is equal.

Strange hobby indeed!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkt
    That is my perfect 2 watch collection! I'm nearly there, as I already have one of them, but sadly it's not the Rolex. Ho hum.........!

Grand Master
    Wouldn’t dream of wearing a decent watch in the gym, Casio F-91W is my choice. I’ve no interest in fitbits, Apple Watches etc, can’t see the point unless you’re training seriously for sports competition or you have health problems.

I don’t get to wear several of my collection very often but still enjoy owning them, all part of the collector mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    I wear my Divex beater 99% of the time and can easily go a couple of months if not longer without touching any of the nice watches. Only a couple of weeks back I was lucky enough to pick up a new Rolex, that’s now tucked away and not been worn since collection day. As you say, strange hobby.
    Did you collect it just to look at then ?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    +1
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    +1
    (Rolls eyes) hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I have a safe full of expensive watches - but at the moment because I’ve started going to the gym three times a week I am finding I stick with my trusty £25 Casio

Such a shame the swiss watches aren’t getting worn. Do others go through phases of only wearing their “beater†watch(es).
    Martyn
    Ha! I have been wearing that very watch for about 10 days now!
    Had a day off on Friday, and wore something nicer, but the G-Shock has been flavour of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My fenix 6 hardly ever leaves my wrist,it’s only a few turns of the dial on the safe but sometimes I just can’t be bothered.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It's the value thing causes the 'problem'.

A Submariner, Seamaster and loads of others can be used in beater activities but everyone is so scared of damaging them or losing them from a locker. I'm insured for loss and the watch can stand anything, so don't change depending on what I'm doing. The watch I have on comes along with me to whatever I'm doing. Only conscious change is for a smart event.
    Last edited by MacDeath; 13th December 2022 at 21:02.

Master
    Gym? I thought that was some bloke in Star Trek.

Master
    I'm curious - Where did you pick up a multiband 6 GShock for £25 ??

maseman

Such a shame the swiss watches aren’t getting worn. Do others go through phases of only wearing their “beater” watch(es).
    Martyn

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    I'm curious - Where did you pick up a multiband 6 GShock for £25 ??

maseman
    I may be a bit off with the price (I know it was not too much) but I bought it off SC a while back. Strangely I can see I sold one for £50 back in 2016!

Strange hobby

He’’s not got x-ray vision, you muppet.

Master
    High days and holidays, a couple will make an appearance over Christmas no doubt.

Master
    I wear all of my watches, pull out whatever I fancy that day. Might the same G pictured (albeit on an Ali Express plastic bracelet), my Sub or the Casio Lineage, or another.

If I am doing something risky (ie gardening), I wear my Swatch chrono beater.

Everything picks up the odd mark, but I enjoy wearing my watches, so I do.

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    my recent purchases are all <1K and this is durable, tough, cheap and goes everywhere with me

That's very smart. I bet it has got an ETA movement in it too.

I gave up worrying about it and wear my Seamaster all the time. The submariner was a mistake, I don't like it as much as the Seamaster, it wears OK and is comfy but is much more difficult to read.

cant remember the last time I put a watch on tbh

I'm mainly a garmin s62 wearer. A smart and golf watch all in one. But do like wearing a real watch when going out fir a social

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    cant remember the last time I put a watch on tbh
    Wrong forum for you perhaps??!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I am finding I stick with my trusty £25 Casio

Pfff.
    Needs more colour
    … & snow.

z