closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Both? Or if not which one

Both? Or if not which one

Just having a quiet Sunday evening and looking through the collection and my collection of straps and notice I do have a lot of pieces that are similar, not a problem but then I have a few similar pieces that don’t all get a lot of time on the wrist.

So the question being the first pair that fits this is:
    CWC G10 quartz
    and
    Hamilton GG W 113

both lovely watches, but are they too similar for the collection? I have a variety of watches and don’t collect Military or issued watches in particular.

Which would you keep? or keep both? and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Of that pair I’d opt for the Hamilton. Why? Maybe because I’m a little jaded with CWC. Had plenty of them but never found one I wanted to hold on to. Love the sterile dial of the Hamilton and the 13 to 24 dial markings. When you’re wearing it nobody will know the manufacturer other than you.

CWC for me, handset, dial and quartz are all more to my taste than the Hamilton, which is nonetheless no slouch.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    I don't have a collector's interest in these sort of watches so based only on aesthetics : the Hamilton is a lot more elegant. But if you don't have another quartz, I'd keep both.

I have both but if I were forced to keep only one it would be the Hamilton. They are no longer making them and they are a fair bit rarer (if that sort of thing floats your boat)

I'd keep the CWC. Partly because of what it is, but also because I dislike the 13-24 markings. But that's just me. Keep 'em both, they're sufficiently different.

Grand Master
    CWC gets my vote, a design classic. Easy to fix if necessary too.

Master
    Both look like great examples. For me, the Hamilton is a bit more special.

Hamilton due to the fact the dial and understated but elegant look

I’d keep the Hamilton, based on aesthetics alone.

purely on aesthetics i prefer the font and dial layout of the hamilton

There are some great points made here.
    I do have another Quartz with that being the CWC Diver.
    The elegance of the Hamilton is lovely and I do love the dial.
    Both watches are issued so there is no favour there.
    I think atm the Hamilton is ahead. I may give them both some wrist time and then decide!

Master
    Can either watch really be described as "Elegant"?

Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    Can either watch really be described as "Elegant"?
    One can be described as more elegant..

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the Hamilton is the better looking watch and would keep it if choosing

Grand Master
    Had both, both long gone .. but if I had to choose one, then the Hamilton. Just looks better and easier to change the appearence with more (for me) strap options ..
    /vince ..

Master
    The CWC is a classic, but I favour the Hamilton personally. The dial is very clean, and the case shape looks a little more modern, plus the white hands are definitely clearer than the filled steel hands of the CWC.

However, they're your watches so only you can decide.
    Last edited by Filterlab; 12th December 2022 at 15:41.

As you have the CWC diver, I'd keep the Hamilton. Nice 24 hour dial you don't often see. Plus the CWC is ten a penny, so if you miss it you can get another easily enough.

It feels like time to move both of them on.
    THIN is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    It feels like time to move both of them on.
    interesting.. what’s your thoughts behind that

I don't like either of them. Not to my taste at all. I find them both a bit ugly and very dull. I certainly wouldn't have bought either of them, or even taken them away if they were handed out as freebies. But your opinion must differ to mine as you bought these two very similar watches, and that's fine takes all sorts to make the world go round. You weren't wrong to buy them any more than I am wrong to dislike them.

What I genuinely don't understand is; given that peoples opinions and taste vary so wildly, why would anyone poll the opinion of an internet forum for something as subjective as this. It just doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    I don't like either of them. Not to my taste at all. I find them both a bit ugly and very dull. I certainly wouldn't have bought either of them, or even taken them away if they were handed out as freebies. But your opinion must differ to mine as you bought these two very similar watches, and that's fine takes all sorts to make the world go round. You weren't wrong to buy them any more than I am wrong to dislike them.

What I genuinely don't understand is; given that peoples opinions and taste vary so wildly, why would anyone poll the opinion of an internet forum for something as subjective as this. It just doesn't make any sense.

Maybe as other collectors or people in the hobby can offer opinions.
    By your logic we shouldn’t have a discussion forum just pretty pictures?

Master
    I would keep the Hammy and let the G10 go, unless it has sentimental value.

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post

No logic there. The first three sentences suggest amatuer trolling, the fourth proves it.

Hamilton for all the reasons previously given. (And is there a brand more hyped and overpriced than CWC? I can't think of one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Hamilton for all the reasons previously given. (And is there a brand more hyped and overpriced than CWC? I can't think of one.)
    Hot take! On reflection, I probably agree on the hype factor. I can’t comment on the price as I’ve not handled a navy diver but they seem like a lot of money for what’s on offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Unfortunately I agree with you.
    When I started collecting they were a hard to obtain, obscure brand that offered fantastic quality rugged watches at a good price. They are still good watches but the prices are not so keen and I am not sure the quality matches the price. Not with regard to QC in my experience. I still have loads of them though! Both issued and reissue

Craftsman
    If I could not keep them both (!) I think I'd keep the Hamilton - I have not owned one so maybe that's why I prefer it.

I do have a CWC G10 and a CWC diver (both quartz) as a bench mark. Not sure how easy the Hamiltons are to find in good condition whereas, as someones has already mentioned, G10's are relatively easy to find so you could always get another if you miss it?

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    My point is that people don't appear to be able to make their own minds up anymore. That they should grow a backbone, decide what they like & to hell with everyone elses opinion. But instead we have a planet full of people desperate for affirmation from complete strangers (on t'internet).

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    No logic there. The first three sentences suggest amatuer trolling, the fourth proves it.
    Do you not feel that the word amatuer (sic) in your post is also trolling? And passive aggressive to boot.
    The first three sentences are my genuine opinion of those watches. They are not to my taste.

My point is that people don't appear to be able to make their own minds up anymore. That they should grow a backbone, decide what they like & to hell with everyone elses opinion. But instead we have a planet full of people desperate for affirmation from complete strangers (on t'internet).

Do you not feel that the word amatuer (sic) in your post is also trolling? And passive aggressive to boot.
    The first three sentences are my genuine opinion of those watches. They are not to my taste.
    I agree with you to a point. I will only ever buy what i like and am not led by any hype. But i also enjoy hearing other peoples views.
    Having looked seriously at my collection recently there are a lot of watches that are similar and i’d like to trim down and broaden the collection with the funds raised.

If you feel that people should not ask opinions on a forum why not just ignore the post? I have no idea why people can not self censor on the internet