closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Amazon Prime using Royal Mail - check before you buy!

Amazon Prime using Royal Mail - check before you buy!

I’ve ordered several items from Amazon over the last week and all but one were delivered next day or the day after. The one that hasn’t arrived is the only one being delivered by RM. Their estimated delivery is now between 8 and 14 days after they received it. I didn’t know they were using RM so if you need something quickly and expect your Prime benefits to give you that, check first to see if Amazon shows the carrier they’ll use.

I’m not in a hurry for my item but it’s annoying nonetheless.

I was in a hurry for my item and I couldn't see who the carrier was until after I ordered it. Despite choosing Prime next day - and subsequently getting an 'your order will arrive before 8pm today' on the following morning - I'm still waiting for it 4 days later and the RM Tracking service is now giving me a timescale of up to the 13th December...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Identical to my scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I was in a hurry for my item and I couldn't see who the carrier was until after I ordered it. Despite choosing Prime next day - and subsequently getting an 'your order will arrive before 8pm today' on the following morning - I'm still waiting for it 4 days later and the RM Tracking service is now giving me a timescale of up to the 13th December...

R

Purchased something from eBay, sent via RM and it took a full 2 weeks and 2 days to arrive.

Master
    AND Royal mail are apparently prioritising parcels:).

My wife read last day for 2nd class delivery letters for Christmas is Monday 12 th December.

Ordered from Amazon Thursday 8th Dec with a given date of Dec 15 or 16 delivered today by RM, funny old world.

We have had deliveries from Amazon every other day for the last two weeks with no problems or delays.

Master
    RM is backlogged to hell. Welcome to the new Royal Mail . This is what RM will be like from now on with less staff and more work. It’s a shame but true unfortunately. .

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    RM is backlogged to hell. Welcome to the new Royal Mail . This is what RM will be like from now on with less staff and more work. It’s a shame but true unfortunately. .
    No, it isn't true. There are many sources of staff data online but I'll post just one:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...l-delivery-uk/

It's normal that post takes a little longer in the run up to Christmas and the postal strikes won't help.

ETA: Actually, I'll post another as that one tries to force you into setting up an account:

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...r-of-employees
    Last edited by Skier; 10th December 2022 at 18:09.

I'm assuming the criticism here is Amazon's unrealistic delivery timescales (and not offering a non-RM option) not a lack of support for RM staff's right to strike.

My Amazon order is a week overdue due to RM, I'll be ordering a replacement just in case.

Big shout out to my other local couriers (including Evri and DPD) who have been excellent and still delivering largely on time despite massive pressure (these couriers are delivering 100+ parcels every day and still give a professional service).

We get Amazon deliveries in dedicated vans in addition to Evri and DPD - Don't think I get anything from them via Royal mail.

Master
    It is a shame, but they've gone from one of the world's finest services to playing second fiddle to all other delivery services.

I hope someone can twist Jeff Bezos' arm into buying it, dismantling it, and then making it something useful again.

Master
    Sorry , probably the wrong thread to discuss RM. RM are happy to make promises as it costs less to break them. Look at the USO. They are now a parcels company according to the CEO and not a mail company . I can see RM breaking up next year.

SydR
    I can’t recall having anything that was fulfilled by Amazon come via Royal Mail, though it is possible that I have, but retailers who sell through Amazon often do and I have received a number of packages via RM.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Royal Fail.

Master
    Been selling a few pc components on Ebay. Always use RMSD for insurance. Minor delays due to strikes but mostly its getting through no problem.

Blog Entries
    In my experience, Amazon delivery mostly through their own logistics operation as well as Royal Mail (usually Tracked 24), Evri and occasionally DPD. Yes, I do mean Amazon themselves and not marketplace sellers.

It's not clear to me why they choose one over the other. The algorithm I guess.

I use Amazon's Subscribe & Save feature and if one chooses carefully it offers good prices. S&S deliveries come once a month by a certain date. In my most recent delivery, most items (about 15 packages) were sent using Amazon's own logistics service but one relatively bulky item was sent using RM Tracked 48. Oddly, I ordered two of the bulky items and one was delivered by Amazon and other by RM.

In the past (and perhaps still), they have used combinations of Amazon, Evri, RM and DPD all in the same batch of deliveries!

Perhaps their algorithm turns to third party couriers as an 'overflow' option for certain delivery rounds.

Interestingly, my subjective impression is that RM prioritise Amazon's packages. Amazon's Tracked 48 seems to be a high class of Tracked 48 compared to others in my experience. Perhaps not surprising.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 11th December 2022 at 12:48.

Blog Entries
    They are now a parcels company according to the CEO and not a mail company .
    How else can it be? Letters are naturally dying out. If RM is to remain in business at all as a private company, it must become primarily a mass market packages and parcels company. There is no other possible future.

Master
    We have a monthly subscribe and save order and usually it comes in a Prime van. This month was weird, most of it came in an Amazon van. But one item, a small box of vitamins came by DPD, with a one hour time slot - which they posted in the letterbox. Very bizarre indeed, for a £3 item!

Craftsman
    My Postie tells Me RM are sorting it but not delivering it. Managers are told to move it through the system but then it’s all just sitting on delivery office desks!(and under them in grey bags!)

Master
    Betting it was a Amazon Marketplace seller and not Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon stock.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    We have a monthly subscribe and save order and usually it comes in a Prime van. This month was weird, most of it came in an Amazon van. But one item, a small box of vitamins came by DPD, with a one hour time slot - which they posted in the letterbox. Very bizarre indeed, for a £3 item!
    Yes, this is the sort of thing I find. Odd items (sometimes small, sometimes large) delivered by RM, DPD, Evri.

It hast he smell of an algorithm finding maximally efficient despatch methods (where efficiency is measured as a dynamic mix of time and cost)..

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    UPDATE: The above item, as well as several others ordered subsequently, arrived today.
    I was initially surprised, it being a Sunday but lo and behold:
    https://www.royalmail.com/business/s...cel-deliveries

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I've been delivering on Sundays for Royal mail for the last 2 year's, today I started at 5am & finished at 17.15 :-( everything is tracked 24 only but sometimes tracked 48, No letters ever.

Sent from a technical device.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    I've been delivering on Sundays for Royal mail for the last 2 year's, today I started at 5am & finished at 17.15 :-( everything is tracked 24 only but sometimes tracked 48, No letters ever.

Weren’t You supposed to be on strike today?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    I can’t recall having anything that was fulfilled by Amazon come via Royal Mail, though it is possible that I have, but retailers who sell through Amazon often do and I have received a number of packages via RM.
    Exactly this Retailers selling through Amazon use RM you need to check, I waited two weeks via RM but it’s was marked Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Weren’t You supposed to be on strike today?
    Let's just say some we're in stealth gear.
    And not every depot was picketed.

Last edited by sickie; 12th December 2022 at 09:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Let's just say some we're in stealth gear.
    And not every depot was picketed.

We were on strike at our DO. Only 1 person and the manager have been going in. It’ll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Not Amazon related but Royal Mail related. We've hardly had any mail delivered by RM over that intensive strike period so I expected yesterday and today to be really heavy mail days. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

No posties in the street either day. The van that has our estate's mail parks just outside our street so I always know when they're delivering. No van either day.

Where are they? What the hell are they doing?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Not Amazon related but Royal Mail related. We've hardly had any mail delivered by RM over that intensive strike period so I expected yesterday and today to be really heavy mail days. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

No posties in the street either day. The van that has our estate's mail parks just outside our street so I always know when they're delivering. No van either day.

Where are they? What the hell are they doing?
    Similar here. Very little on non-strike days.

There was in fact a RM postal delivery here today but it was a single letter.

I know beyond doubt that there's more waiting at the DO to be delivered because I booked a redelivery for today. I was out on the 17th when delivery for two items was attempted and today was the first day that they could be booked for redelivery. But no sign of a delivery yet and, based upon experience, it's unlikely to happen now.

These two items were a contract item which only has delivery confirmation and a Tracked 48 item posted on the 25th November! Tracking for the T48 items ends at Greenford MC but I know it reached my local DO and a local postie's hand on the 17th as he wrote the tracking number on the 'Something for you' card. ;-)

I also have two incoming Tracked 24 items that are (well, were) due today. Tracking for these also ends at Greenford MC but I very strongly suspect that they made it to my local DO and are sitting with my two redelivery items.

I'll take a walk to the DO tomorrow morning and see what they might find.

I gave up posting items by collection some time ago as booked collections simply didn't happen.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 20th December 2022 at 18:10.

Not Amazon related but Royal Mail related. We've hardly had any mail delivered by RM over that intensive strike period so I expected yesterday and today to be really heavy mail days. Nothing. Nada. Zilch...
    Last delivery to our house was on Monday the 12th. We got ten Christmas cards, two magazines (one a fortnight late & one a week late) & two catalogues. Nothing since. (BTW, we normally get about forty cards by post. We've had those ten & a couple earlier in the month...)

We also missed an RMSD on the same day. Unable to collect it until Saturday (strikes & office only open when I couldn't get to it). There were 9 people in the queue waiting for items at 0900hrs.
    ______

​Jim.

Items from Amazon thrown through your letter boxes are not necessarily via Royal Mail, will likely be an Amazon Flex driver self employed drivers using their own cars.

Sent from my XQ-CQ54 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Daveya.; 20th December 2022 at 20:59.

Master
    2 SD items I sent Saturday have not yet reached their office of destination- not a good sign

I posted two rmsd packages on Sunday. Both were logged into the system within an hour. They were picked up and taken to the sorting depot yesterday, and both were delivered this morning. Must be the luck of the draw.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I posted two rmsd packages on Sunday. Both were logged into the system within an hour. They were picked up and taken to the sorting depot yesterday, and both were delivered this morning. Must be the luck of the draw.
    Probably a reward for my 34 years loyal service 😂😂

We've just had the posty first time in 10 days

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Probably a reward for my 34 years loyal service 😂😂
    You may have been loyal, unfortunately doesn't mean they are. Hope it works out, your packages and the rest.

Master
    2 SD items I sent Saturday have not yet reached their office of destination- not a good sign
    I received an SD on Friday that had been posted the previous Thursday.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

I received my SD parcel yesterday and that had been posted on the 2nd December, no tracking update other than receipt at PO they were sent from for 15 days. 17 days in total, hopefully yours is ok and just stuck in the current backlog.

I called in to the local depot this morning to see if they had anything for me. Turns out they're only delivering every three days!

Master

I called in to the local depot this morning to see if they had anything for me. Turns out they're only delivering every three days!
    Welcome to the new RM. Less staff, and parcels take priority over mail. To quote RM CEO “ - Royal mail is a parcels company not a letters company” -

It could be worse - my posties are great - and UPS is easily the worst ever.

package from italy shipped and in the UK (through customs) in one day - now stuck at UPS dartford deciding when they might deliver it to me with no known date !!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    We've just had the posty first time in 10 days

I can be like that too, but then I don’t get much mail, he even stopped putting the junk in the box cause I moaned about it filling the box.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the new RM. Less staff, and parcels take priority over mail. To quote RM CEO “ - Royal mail is a parcels company not a letters company” -
    Err.. that's something of a non sequitur to the message to which you commented.

(1) Parcels are "mail". It's all mail, letters, packages, parcels.

(2) If by "mail" here you are referring exclusively to letters, then parcels are not in practice taking priority over letters. Personally, I'd be a good deal happier if parcels were taking priority over letters as parcels tend to be more urgent (for me)!

(3) Being a primarily parcels company (which is surely a de facto truth due to what people are actually sending) does not exclude delivery of letters. Afterall, one might reasonably view letters as small parcels. Certainly, in my case, the last 100 'letters' I sent were in fact literally small packages/parcels.

(4) One delivery every three days (which is roughly what seems to be happening for me too) seems, in my experience, to be for both parcels and letters.

And I didn't ask you this key question before: What is the real problem with Royal Mail reflecting what the market clearly demands of it: A mass market parcels and packages service?

Master

I’ll keep it short as I can’t be bothered with a debate. Sorry if this doesn’t fit your agenda.
    Firstly, letters are mail. Parcels are parcels. To most people including yourself they are all the same. I can tell you that they all require different methods of delivery and organisation. Royal Mail are attempting to change to a mainly parcel company as we speak hence the strikes due to terms and conditions that RM are trying to impose on workers. Yes I agree it needs to change but a happy workforce is a hard working workforce.
    Currently parcels seem to be priority now even though RM may say otherwise. Mail (letters) including NHS stuff , bills, are not being delivered for sometimes a week after arriving at a delivery office. To me this isn’t acceptable.
    Have a good evening:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 21st December 2022 at 20:59.

no post for ten days

Then 11 letters in one day

strikes obviously causing massive bottle neck of undelivered mail.

Christmas card posted on 6th Dec arrived 29th Dec !!

Hmmm.

email next year !!