closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Crown tubes....consideration for their luxury watches....

Master

Seiko Crown tubes....consideration for their luxury watches....

As Seiko moves upmarket and currently charging Omega and Tudor prices, I fell that they must make sure, that the construction of their watches is spot on.

I still feel they lag behind in many areas, eg. all the 8L35's I have had running at no better than +10s/day, slightly misaligned chapter rings, dated/cheap feeling bracelets etc...

I have lately been thinking that a very serious consideration, for all of us who buy 'luxury' Seiko watches, is the crown tube. Seiko does not seem to use a separate case threaded crown tube. Instead they go for a cheaper press fit/welded tube. As many years pass over these watches, there is the risk that a watch may need to scrapped due to the crown threads becoming stripped/damaged/corroded.

It's a pity to throw away a vintage watch that might have been then just become a cult classic due to this easily solved shortcoming. Especially, since Seiko being Seiko, would not be able to provide parts for them 10 or 20 years into the future. If they want big boy money coming their way, at least they should act like the big boys do.

I have read that at least, the expensive SLA055 does indeed feature this welcome addition :).

Any tech nerds feel the same way about this? Do at least Grand Seiko use a different construction? Any idea if 'luxury' dive watches like the GS SLA001 or the Seiko SLA039 Hi-Beat also resolves this issue?

Is it really necessary to copy and paste / cross-post this across (at least) three different watch fora ?

https://www.thewatchsite.com/threads...models.348767/

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/s...tches.5457164/

Grand Master
    Generic pendant tubes are available together with a matching crown. Can be difficult to fit, after several years a press- fitted tube will corrode into the case and require drilling to remove, which is a tricky job.

Screwed pendant tubes are generally easier, generic replacements are available but the thread has to match. Ideally, a genuine manufacturers replacement can be sourced and that makes things easier although a special tool may be required, Omega’s 8 sided allen key springs to mind.

A vintage watch case should always be fixable, but this can be a fiddly time- consuming task. Screw- down crowns are trouble waiting to happen!

Not in the slightest.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    Is it really necessary to copy and paste / cross-post this across (at least) three different watch fora ?

https://www.thewatchsite.com/threads...models.348767/

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/s...tches.5457164/
    What are you, the forum police? Mind your own business.

If you have nothing worthy to add, just move on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Generic pendant tubes are available together with a matching crown. Can be difficult to fit, after several years a press- fitted tube will corrode into the case and require drilling to remove, which is a tricky job.

Screwed pendant tubes are generally easier, generic replacements are available but the thread has to match. Ideally, a genuine manufacturers replacement can be sourced and that makes things easier although a special tool may be required, Omega’s 8 sided allen key springs to mind.

A vintage watch case should always be fixable, but this can be a fiddly time- consuming task. Screw- down crowns are trouble waiting to happen!
    It's true, but it's not an easy job. Screw threads aren't forever!