closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's cold.

Master
    Blog Entries

It's cold.

But I'm enjoying it. Was about -3 in Derbyshire last night. Already that now. Oh and the moon and sky look ultra clear and bright. Rather this than hovering around 5c grey and damp.

Good watch tonight on BBC 4 if you have not seen it before. Winterwatch 1963 the big freeze.

Got to agree. Love a cold dry day with good visibility. Deep lungfuls of fresh air.
    Wife and I sometimes chat about the idea of retiring somewhere warmer but days like this remind me of how much I enjoy the seasons. Only wish it was light longer in the winter and fewer damp days in general :shrug:

I love a freezing cold blue skied day or starry night as much as I do a midsummer's day. There's something about being wrapped up warm and snug on a walk that can be quite life affirming, especially so if there's still frost on the ground.

Grand Master
    Disagree totally, give me a warm sunny day with temperature above 20 deg C. The older I get the more I feel the cold, especially in my hands and head. Can’t work outside or in the garage in winter, my hands can’t stand the cold thesedays.

Master
    I just looked at the utterly pathetic weather app on the iPhone.

It's 1°C here and dry. The link through to the Met Office says "Severe Weather Warning - threat to life and property".

Call me old fashioned, but why is a still, dry night at over freezing a "threat to life and property"?

Media is so ridiculous these days. No wonder millennials panic about every single thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I just looked at the utterly pathetic weather app on the iPhone.

It's 1°C here and dry. The link through to the Met Office says "Severe Weather Warning - threat to life and property".

Call me old fashioned, but why is a still, dry night at over freezing a "threat to life and property"?

Media is so ridiculous these days. No wonder millennials panic about every single thing.
    I use Dark Sky app which is superb, apparently it’s the one film crews use as it’s the most reliable when a shoot depends on the weather. And better still, for you directly, Apple have bought them and from 1 Jan 2023 it’ll for the basis of the standard weather app (at least that’s what it says in my app anyhow).

Master
    I'll have a look at that. Ta.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Disagree totally, give me a warm sunny day with temperature above 20 deg C. The older I get the more I feel the cold, especially in my hands and head. Can’t work outside or in the garage in winter, my hands can’t stand the cold thesedays.

Dead right Paul. We are in Cape Verde for two weeks came out Sunday 30c everyday Been out in the waves, sea is lovely and warm. Stuff the UK cold weather

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Dead right Paul. We are in Cape Verde for two weeks came out Sunday 30c everyday Been out in the waves, sea is lovely and warm. Stuff the UK cold weather
    Enjoy it cos' the way things are shaping up you may not be able to get back

1963 winter, living in the Cotswolds and at the age of 8 couldn't get to school for 3 days, generally a 10 minute walk, what japes.

Master
    33 today here in Noosa QLD, flying back to Melbourne later and a good weekend forecast there

Craftsman
    Out in the garden at 4.30 this morning to see the Mars occupation (occultation). Grabbed a couple of images.

It was brassic.

Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wotsthecrack; 8th December 2022 at 11:20.

Master
    Very nice!

Where are those Martians occupying next?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Very nice!

Where are those Martians occupying next?
    Haha damn autocorrect

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    It’s a me too on that one. Would rather have hot weather than cold any day.

I remember walking to school in 1963 and the snow being very deep. Although I was quite short at the time!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    We had that last weekend. On Monday morning, when walking the dog, I needed several layer and a cap (my hair's getting thinner...) and later that day only a cardigan was enough. Just saying it are short bursts.

The Windfinder app https://www.windfinder.com/#10/52.2206/6.0013 (It has a dashboard so that you pick your language etc) forecasts colder weather starting this weekend! And some snow next Wednesday.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    I use Dark Sky app which is superb, apparently it’s the one film crews use as it’s the most reliable when a shoot depends on the weather. And better still, for you directly, Apple have bought them and from 1 Jan 2023 it’ll for the basis of the standard weather app (at least that’s what it says in my app anyhow).
    Hi just followed the link to Dark Sky App, which links to App Store. However it says App not available for your region. Maybe they are getting it ready to embed in an Apple product.
    Steve

Update , just seen I can use it in Safari browser, nice clean presentation:)
    Last edited by higham5; 8th December 2022 at 08:36.

It was beautiful as I headed home at 4pm yesterday. The graduated colours in the sky, the beauhiful clear moon, then later the starry sky and the conjunction of moon and mars. Stunning!

Put a thermometer out, but was somewhat disappointed with a minimum of -0.5. It's always a bit warmer here than the surrounding areas.

Master
    Love this weather, great for a decent walk with the dog. Off to Keswick this morning with him for a wander, shot from yesterday's walk at home:

Master
    Blog Entries
    -5 this morning according to my garden thermometer.

Master
    The Weawow weather app is free for Android and you can choose Dark Sky as the weather provider. It's the most reliable app we've used and, most importantly for me, provides an indication of the level of precipitation rather than just percentage chance of rain.

-4 here, spent 10 mins defrosting the car this morn at 6am to go to the gym then did the whole thing again an hr later after coming out the gym.

A Beautiful morning in. Greater Manchester

Master
    -5 here as well, so cold even the dogs frozen over😁

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I love it, ideal weather for me so long as im bundled up well!
    It's the dogs first experience of a proper hard frost and she's very enamoured with the grass crunching underfoot.

Master
    I like the cold - I keep my pants in the fridge.

Master
    CH boiler gave in last night, this morning whilst trying to get a gas fitter, it started snowing, outside thermometer showing -1.5C, parts on order till Monday, wife booked a weekend away in Inverness, might still be cold out there but there will be hot rooms and hot water for later.

11C in my flat this week - had to get the thermals and Oodi on. Nice long walk in the snow earlier. Yeah, I would miss the seasons - but a longer period of sun and warmer weather would be nice (global warming should help with that).

It was -1 in Surrey this morning

I had a bubble in my EZM2! It was that cold! It soon warmed up though
    I love it!

Hate the cold weather. Made even worse now that it probably costs about £15 per day to keep the house remotely warm.

Craftsman
    /'It was -1 in Surrey this morning

I had a bubble in my EZM2! It was that cold! It soon warmed up though
    I love it!

Bisley?

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post

Bisley?
    Yep had century to myself all morning, never had that before!

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    I like the cold - I keep my pants in the fridge.
    Laughed out loud

Master

I lit a fire down the garden and had a BBQ the other night. It was great. Currently cleaning my skates and giving the edges a bit of attention. Might get an outdoor skate if the freeze continues.
    Last edited by johny; 9th December 2022 at 15:14.

Master
    Just went into the kitchen, 11.8 in there! -6 outside according to the wife's car and this is in Berkshire.

We live in an old cottage and it really struggles once the temps are below zero, luckily we have an open fire in the lounge so nice and toasty in there.

Ironically, the kitchen is a relatively modern extension (60s), the older part of the house is not so bad due to small windows etc.

Master
    Thanks for posting this Tiny73 , it nailed a snow forecast for us to within 10 minutes, impressive. Plus it isn't littered with warning of doom and gloom like the met office currently is. Great find and look fwd to using it embedded on my iphone in the new year.

It’s already implemented. The dark sky app may disappear in January but the current weather app has already integrated its features
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Pop up to Braemar for some cold. . Seriously though I don’t mind it that much - prefer a varied climate than somewhere with sun all the time. Can’t stand sunscreen it gets everywhere. Having said that I won’t be moving to Lapland either

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It’s already implemented. The dark sky app may disappear in January but the current weather app has already integrated its features
    I can’t find the standard app on my iPhone must have deleted it in favour of the BBC one - now to try and find it again

I've just downloaded this from Google play (android phone). It's called hyperlocal weather on there so it'll be interesting to see if it still works in the new year

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The field behind us this morning, cold as.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Lovely wintry pictures.

My garden looks north, and at this time of the year is almost always in shadow. The big trees beyond the fence are on a horse-riding school, and I love my view.

Even when it's cold like this!

I was meant to have been taking the bike in for a clutch adjustment today... 8.30 slot for an early finish.

Gave that one a miss... apparently virtually all their workshop appointments were being cancelled. He actually said "don't even think about it"!

Manchester Airport closed due to snow.

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 10th December 2022 at 11:48.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I hate this cold weather, it's bloody uncivilised.

Took Dot out yesterday in the woods at the back and I slipped over on an icy patch and sprained my wrist.

Back home it's 19 degrees in the hall. I'd rather watch the wildlife eating the nosh I have put out for them through binoculars than being out in North pole type weather.

It it wasn't so close to Christmas I'd scoot off to Florida.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    The Weawow weather app is free for Android and you can choose Dark Sky as the weather provider. It's the most reliable app we've used and, most importantly for me, provides an indication of the level of precipitation rather than just percentage chance of rain.
    Thanks for posting this. Just installed, great looking app!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    31C in Mexico, we land back tomorrow morning.

Nest says it has been using 5hrs of heating a day for the last few in order to keep the house at 17C and the cat happy!

Last year we installed electric floor heating in the kitchen as it’s never been a warm room. Did briefly look at putting it on again but at 40p an hour it can FRO!

Needs to be kept at a minimum temp all the time vs heat on demand, so a stupid resource during the lower temps. Oh well, maybe we can use it next year!

-3°C showing on the car just now. Hope you packed some thermals and can pre heat the car from your phone.

The cold has come out of nowhere the last week.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    But I'm enjoying it. Was about -3 in Derbyshire last night. Already that now. Oh and the moon and sky look ultra clear and bright. Rather this than hovering around 5c grey and damp.

Good watch tonight on BBC 4 if you have not seen it before. Winterwatch 1963 the big freeze.
    I was born near Sheffield in February 1963. My dad was was working in Teesside at the time & had to hitch hike from there to the hospital. The roads were so bad with the snow that most of the vehicles on them were lorries. He set off equipped with a bunch of flowers & managed to get a lift in a coal lorry. By the time he got to the hospital he was black from coal dust, his bunch of flowers had become a bunch of stalks, & I was already born when he got there.