closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Sub LV (pre ceramic servicing)

Rolex Sub LV (pre ceramic servicing)

My Kermit is in need of a service as it's been a while but i'm not sure what to do with it.

It's never been polished but was a daily wear for a lot of it's life so has a few love marks.

Do I send it to Rolex and have them charge me lots plus who know what they will want to swap out and polish to death.

Steven Hale? Great but because of value would mean 2 trips from Harrogate to London as postage isn't an option due to value.

Bill / William Rice is about 1.30hrs each way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by njr911 View Post
    My Kermit is in need of a service as it's been a while but i'm not sure what to do with it.

It's never been polished but was a daily wear for a lot of it's life so has a few love marks.

Do I send it to Rolex and have them charge me lots plus who know what they will want to swap out and polish to death.

Steven Hale? Great but because of value would mean 2 trips from Harrogate to London as postage isn't an option due to value.

Just had my Milgauss with Rolex RSC London, and they recommended a few new bits (like replacing the crystal), but it was all optional. I stuck with the service and polish only.

What said, it is still fairly expensive.

2 trips from Harrogate to London as postage isn't an option due to value.
    Insured postage?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Insured postage?
    It's a bit of a faf at the value of a Kermit

Master

Not sure where you are based, but there's a v/good Rolex accredited outfit in Cheshire that I used recently for a service on my GMT.
    They will polish/replace as little or as much as you wish

You can send it to RSC via a local Rolex dealer.

It's not worth the hassle and cost of sending direct.

With a crown, crystal and polish - you might be only talking about £800.

I say 'only' but based on watch value and how little you've spent to date................................

Harrogate so getting there is a pain.

It might just have to go to Rolex. To polish or not polish ???

Harrogate so getting there is a pain.

It might just have to go to Rolex. To polish or not polish ???
    I'm lost - do you live in Harrogate or is that your closest Rolex dealer?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I'm lost - do you live in Harrogate or is that your closest Rolex dealer?
    Nearest Rolex AD is in Leeds, approx. 30 mile round trip from Harrogate. Can`t see the problem, take it there and leave it, then pick it up in several weeks time.

Definitely worth having the case lightly refinished to smarten the watch up, the amount of metal removed (if it's done properly) is miniscule.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 7th December 2022 at 14:40.

Master
    Watch that is worth prob £15k upwards now. Send it to Rolex and get the service paper etc. prob some good unofficial repairs but the Rolex paper might be useful if you want a sale

Master
    Lightly refinished doesn't mean much when it goes to Rolex.
    It's either refinished or not in my experience of using them
    If you went to Stephen Hale or Rocco then the return postage would be their lookout surely.
    I'd go Rolex with no refinish personally.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Watch that is worth prob £15k upwards now. Send it to Rolex and get the service paper etc. prob some good unofficial repairs but the Rolex paper might be useful if you want a sale
    Think I will. Never getting sold though, I bought it new, it was in the window and I got the VAT knocked off for cash...try doing that anytime in the last decade!

Get it done at RSC genuine parts
    You’d be surprised at the amount of non genuine parts some watchmakers will use and in all honesty you would probably not know

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan16520 View Post
    Get it done at RSC genuine parts
    You’d be surprised at the amount of non genuine parts some watchmakers will use and in all honesty you would probably not know

Examples?........or are you just repeating what you’ve heard.

Unfortunately not …..i know a watchmaker who is very well regarded and has told me personally that if they cannot find a genuine rolex part he will use a non a Genuine part to finish the job .
    Crystals he will let the customer know other parts were dependent on customer but Rolex not supplying most parts to non official centres this will only become more prevalient

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Pan16520 View Post
    Unfortunately not …..i know a watchmaker who is very well regarded and has told me personally that if they cannot find a genuine rolex part he will use a non a Genuine part to finish the job .
    Crystals he will let the customer know other parts were dependent on customer but Rolex not supplying most parts to non official centres this will only become more prevalient
    We know you are chasing to get access to SC but really?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

You must have known the service requirements and the cost when you bought the watch. Rolex no longer supply spares to non franchised dealers so if you go down that route you will probably have non standard bits in it which doesn't make sense.

You appear to have an AD in Leeds so just take to there and allowing for Christmas / New year silly season, you should have it back around mid February.

If you find any of that lot unpalatable, best to sell the watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You must have known the service requirements and the cost when you bought the watch. Rolex no longer supply spares to non franchised dealers so if you go down that route you will probably have non standard bits in it which doesn't make sense.

You appear to have an AD in Leeds so just take to there and allowing for Christmas / New year silly season, you should have it back around mid February.

FFS Mick
    We have been over this before.
    There are Rolex accredited independent watchmakers such as Watchworks(Rocco) who are fully able to service Rolex watches and use only Rolex parts.
    Can you please retain this information for at least a year before posting this BS again

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    FFS Mick
    We have been over this before.
    There are Rolex accredited independent watchmakers such as Watchworks(Rocco) who are fully able to service Rolex watches and use only Rolex parts.
    Can you please retain this information for at least a year before posting this BS again
    Firstly control your language. Secondly I did use the term of not supplying to non franchised dealers which obviously means that accredited agents will get the spares.

However to keep you happy, I will use the term accredited agent from now on.

To OP, about 3 months ago I took my 2006 year 14060M to Rolex dealer here in Windsor, they sent it off to RSC with my strict instructions not to polish. Just 20 days later I got my submariner back, £600 bill as expected, no parts like dial, glass or hands changed and they didn't polish but gave it a damn good clean Running +1 sec/24 hours.

Very impressed with RSC. Hope that helps!

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ghlight=14060M

Cheers
    Mark
    Last edited by CafeRacer; 8th December 2022 at 15:03. Reason: adding (hopefully!) link to my original post

Journeyman
    Two sides to a coin… (as ever)…took my BLNR to Leeds Rolex -got a call to say Rolex checked and found worn parts on clasp so need to replace at £900+ with service and new magnifier and crown £1700 now that’s expensive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    When I bought mine I never looked at service costs or requirements. Had a vague idea and that there are some independents out there but not the exact costs or requirements. To say to someone to sell the watch if any of that is unpalatable is a bit over the top in my opinion.

You must have known the service requirements and the cost when you bought the watch.

Master
    But you can ask for the watch to be simply sent back with nothing done and sent to an independent after ?

Quote Originally Posted by blogger View Post
    Two sides to a coin… (as ever)…took my BLNR to Leeds Rolex -got a call to say Rolex checked and found worn parts on clasp so need to replace at £900+ with service and new magnifier and crown £1700 now that’s expensive!

Grand Master
    If a bracelet clasp is worn it makes sense to get if fixed, I guess Rolex simply replace the whole clasp rather than replace worn pins etc. However, if a clasp is worn or a crystal's damaged I`d expect the owner to be aware of the problem so it shouldn't be a surprise when replacement is recommended. Likewise with screw-down crowns and pendant tubes with worn threads, it's fairly obvious when all's not well.

Unfortunately the service costs associated with Rolex are high and continue to increase. The policy of not supplying parts makes for a nice cosy situation where they can charge as much as they like for work, the dwindling band of accredited independents have their hands tied regarding what they charge and what repairs they can and can`t do.

Some owners seem to find the cost 'reassuringly expensive', others are horrified when their 15 year old watch needs lots of parts replacing. Up to a point I sympathise with those who bought a Rolex in the days when both the watch and servicing were far more affordable, they never signed on to current levels of charging.

Personally I won't touch Rolex, I`ve worked on my own in the past but that's all. The watches themselves are nothing special, there's nothing daunting or challenging about them, but if parts other than a mainspring and barrel are needed I can`t get them and the stigma associated with generic or non-genuine replacements puts me off completely.

Anyone who continues to own Rolex watches has to be realistic about the costs, cheaper servicing options are limited thesedays. Basically, Rolex have got you over a barrel and you either suck up the costs or don't own the watch. There's no way the prices can be justified but that doesn`t change anything, they'll charge what they can.

I think it's crazy not to have a watch refinished when it goes back to Rolex SC, at least you can see some improvement when you get it back!

Journeyman

Rolex Sub LV (pre ceramic servicing)

Everything Paul says - I bought when a LOT cheaper but agreed the price as couldn’t get an independent to touch a BLNR as they couldn’t get the parts

Agreed about the clasp but thought they’d replace the parts not the whole thing!

Not moaning just saying

Last edited by blogger; 8th December 2022 at 19:07.

I would not consider anyone other than RSC or a Rolex Accredited Watchmaker. My experience on a few occasions with servicing at RSC has been excellent.

Cannot understand the logic of owning a watch worth thousands yet wanting to skimp and save on the servicing costs.

Thanks all for the interested and passionate discussion.

I will be sending to Rolex via my AD in Ilkley.

While I understand the servicing can be expensive it was the added extras as blogger experienced that I hope to avoid. And parts changed that I don't want (hands, crystal, dial!, bezel!!) If this does happen I will request it's returned.

I'm leaning towards not polishing so I can retain the scratches from years of wearing it (to do the garden, mend cars... I didn't know it would become valuable!)

While I understand the servicing can be expensive it was the added extras as blogger experienced that I hope to avoid. And parts changed that I don't want (hands, crystal, dial!, bezel!!) If this does happen I will request it's returned.

I'm leaning towards not polishing so I can retain the scratches from years of wearing it (to do the garden, mend cars... I didn't know it would become valuable!)
    Crown and crystal may appear as 'optional' or 'required'.

Hands can, I believe - get damaged on removal and require renewal. You find that out only after the service.

Master
    They won’t tell you that the dial, hands or insert has been changed at service (if they need to be).
    You need to state that these are to be retained.
    The service estimate will show your instructions on the paperwork before proceeding.
    Never assume…

Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    They won’t tell you that the dial, hands or insert has been changed at service (if they need to be).
    You need to state that these are to be retained.
    The service estimate will show your instructions on the paperwork before proceeding.
    Never assume…
    On each occasion I have sent a submariner or sea dweller (3 in last year) back to RSC via the dealer - I have received a call from the dealer listing the items which RSC have advised are "Required" or "Optional", together with the cost implications.

I chose what optionals to go ahead with.

On return - the service proforma has listed the items which have been renewed.

It's possible that other dealers do it differently, of course - I can only speak of one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    On each occasion I have sent a submariner or sea dweller (3 in last year) back to RSC via the dealer - I have received a call from the dealer listing the items which RSC have advised are "Required" or "Optional", together with the cost implications.

I chose what optionals to go ahead with.

On return - the service proforma has listed the items which have been renewed.

It's possible that other dealers do it differently, of course - I can only speak of one.
    I didn’t compose my reply very well.
    What I meant to say was you would only know after servicing (when it’s too late!)
    Last edited by Loupe; 9th December 2022 at 21:04.

Master

Hi op. Does the Ilkley ad have their own inhouse Rolex watchmaker?

If he bought the watch new for just over £3k when servicing was £245 or thereabouts, I don’t think it’s fair to say that. If it’s a performance sports car that might be fair, but it’s just a watch with a movement that is in millions of watches, I think it’s ok to baulk at the servicing costs.

Grand Master
    Given the market value of these watches I think it makes sense to get the watch refinished and returned to as good condition as possible . I would then wear it carefully and keep it in good condition.

Service costs are much higher now than in the past, so not surprised it can be a shock to those who bought new 10+ years ago. I assume though this is partly offset by the modern recommendation to service every c10 years, this was closer to 3-5 years when I started in 2009.

So it's making it's way to Rolex via my AD, they did say it was in very good condition for it's age so I'm still undecided about a polish. They expect the bill to be £600 - £800.

They also confirmed that I'm still on track to get my Daytona in 3ish years which was great news.

They also had lots of display models that weren't for sale. Sub, root beer, Tiffany DJ. ALL lists were closed they were saying until they can get back on top of them. Sub was a 6 year wait!

Grand Master
    Why would you choose NOT to have it refinished? The only reservation I would have is if the case had some deep damage and someone was offering to take it outer, involving the removal of too much metal, but that's a discussion to have depending on the condition of the watch. Same applies to damage on the edges.

You're paying for the watch to be refinished whether you choose to or not, so why not have it returned to the condition it was when you bought it and then take care not to get it battered?

I`ll never understand this aversion to refinishing, unless a watch has already had a deep refinish (in which case it makes no sense to risk taking more metal off) seems logical to me to return the watch to the condition it was when originally bought, I see no attraction in battered scratched watches.

I do very little refinishing work thesedays because I don't like doing it, but it's always nice to see the end results.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Why would you choose NOT to have it refinished? The only reservation I would have is if the case had some deep damage and someone was offering to take it outer, involving the removal of too much metal, but that's a discussion to have depending on the condition of the watch. Same applies to damage on the edges.

You're paying for the watch to be refinished whether you choose to or not, so why not have it returned to the condition it was when you bought it and then take care not to get it battered?

I`ll never understand this aversion to refinishing, unless a watch has already had a deep refinish (in which case it makes no sense to risk taking more metal off) seems logical to me to return the watch to the condition it was when originally bought, I see no attraction in battered scratched watches.

I do very little refinishing work thesedays because I don't like doing it, but it's always nice to see the end results.
    I honestly couldn't tell you why I have an aversion to a refinish, if it was a car with a scratch I wouldn't hesitate to have it sorted. I guess it must be because I've spent too much time on here :)

Sub was a 6 year wait!
    6 years to wait for a brand new Rolex Submariner?!? Wow! That would explain crazy second hand prices.

Anyway back on subject, I'm glad to hear you sending back to RSC and £600-800 sounds fine.

With Xmas & NY holiday I hope you get your watch back around mid to late January

Cheers
    Mark