closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Yet another “what car?” thread….

Yet another “what car?” thread….

Evening ladies and gentlemen. Mrs Tiny and I are splitting living between here in E Yorks and Lytham St Anne’s with my time being predominantly I. The office on the E York’s side and her pretty much full time working from home between here and St Anne’s. The weekend/occasional commute car is now 25 years old and whilst a lot of fun is getting to that point where it needs some TLC and maybe a more summer lifestyle. The sensible car that Mrs Tiny seems to have appropriated is great (Cayenne 4.2 V8 diesel) but I’m now in the position where I need a car to do the office commute (approx 70 miles with a gym visit included).

Current thinking is something ICE rather than electric as my next car will almost certainly be just that and I’m kinda narrowing down between the following:

1) AMG C63 saloon/coupe/convertible. What can I say? V8, last time we’ll see that engine in a road car (excluding the GT cars maybe)
    2) AMG C43. Bit more sensible with 4WD and better economy, had a C43 saloon previously and enjoyed it. Wondering if I’d always be hankering after a C63 though…
    3) BMW M3. 4 doors, bit of a Q car in that it doesn’t scream “look at me” but will be a lot of fun no doubt.
    4) BMW M4, 2 doors, as above except a bit more shouty.
    5) Macan GTS. A bit left field. Got a Macan at present on loan with the 2.0 engine and whilst fast there’s no sense of theatre. And it’s thirsty. Think the V6 might be bit more engaging.

So, aside from the MX-5 recommendation, what are the thoughts of those who’ve owned any/all of the above? I’m leaning towards the M cars as I’ve never owned a BMW and always looked on them as one I’d like to drive someday and feel this generation of cars is likely to be the last of this kind we’ll see. The AMG 63 speaks to me but wonder if it’s a bit shouty or a bit much for a daily drive on motorways and twisty roads. All would be preowned, budget around £40-50k.

Thanks all.

For some reason I sense you want a statement car. Plenty of choice in your budget for a Bentley Continental GT.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Just went through something similar. Looked at every single car on your list funnily enough.

Same mind frame as you I think one last go at a proper engine.

The 43 AMG was poor after experiencing the proper one so that was ruled out for me.

The M cars were great but not as much an event as the AMG I found.
    Problem I had was that just didn’t feel comfortable enough as an everyday car. A brilliant toy but for me didn’t work so ended up with another diesel for now.

Would be interested to hear which way you go as I am still following this market and may look to get something as an occasional driver next year.

Craftsman
    Surprised the M5 is not on the list, having had a G30 in the past it would be on mine for regular long journeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VW Up! Gti, spend the rest on watches!

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Up GTi would be a fantastic choice for giggles.

Enviable position. I would suggest a BMW but the M2 competition if you don't need rear doors. It's sensational on the road.

Master
    Out of your choices, I would take a C63s Coupe. To say the M3 is understated is a bit strange, apart from the C43 they all do but I certainly wouldn’t have a C43.

If your not after a statement car just grab a C300d premium plus for a test drive it’s surprisingly quick over the ground and you don’t have the hassle of filling it up constantly and you’ll have plenty money left.

Personally if I was in your situation I would have already been scouring the adds for a M5 Competition.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Couple of points:

1) don’t want anything bigger than what’s on the list. Don’t need 4 doors necessarily hence why the coupes are on there.
    2) statement car? Not sure what that means. I want an ICE car with a good engine, maybe the kind that we’ll never see again given the direction of travel.
    3) m3 saloon being a bit of a a car, I mean it’s not stand out shouty obvious (to me at least) especially if in a muted colour. That was my man maths justification at least 🤣
    Last edited by tiny73; 12th December 2022 at 10:06.

Journeyman
    I have nothing useful to add on your car choice but wanted to say hi from Lytham St Anne’s.

Master
    Maybe just outside your budget but, rather than the predictable and in my opinion unreliable BMW and Merc stuff I would go for a Lexus LC 500.

Master
    There’s a proper 6.3 C63 in York for sale if your a great engine.

My friend has had two C63, the old 6.2l atmo, and the new 4l twin turbo. He loved the older car and didn't the newer. He replaced it with a CLA45 S which he prefers as it's more theatrical and sharper. He says that the newer C63 felt dull and big after the older, but I think anything would feel dull after you hear that old engine.

The 6.3 V8 reeeeallly appeals, sadly I don’t have a refinery in my garden to keep it topped up 🤣

Appreciate the feedback though 👍🏻

How about a Porsche Panamera e hybrid? What are you currently driving?

Master
    Do you need the space for 4 seats given your wife’s car?

My M4 comp (prior gen) went in favour of a Cayman GTS and it’s 100% better to drive, press on & actually control the car vs hanging onto it / be convinced it’s going to kill you. I’m hoping they fixed the damping on the new model as the old one was horrific - and that’s me as a long standing M fanatic.

No idea on the latest ones, can’t get passed the exterior regardless of the tech inside. Think the newer M cars have lost their way a little, AMG seem to have managed to keep some sparkle (and noise) despite exhaust changes.

From your list, I’d go C63 (and accept you haven’t got the V8, which is an awesome engine!). It sounds utterly fantastic even in the newer small (!) engine. Or if you don’t need to lug a massive car about something smaller and a bit more engaging.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Wondering if I’d always be hankering after a C63 though…
    You probably would be. Just get one. If you don't like it, you can always change it.

Master
    Have you considered a Lexus RC F?

Well I’m leaning towards an M3 right now but there’s surprisingly few BMW used approved vs the M4 coupe.

Master

A coupe you say

6 years old now, and despite the Ford badge has been 100% reliable, and quite cheap to run. Average MPG over 37k miles is 25mpg

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Well I’m leaning towards an M3 right now but there’s surprisingly few BMW used approved vs the M4 coupe.
    Always has been the way unfortunately, from V8 onwards the 4 doors were far fewer in number.