closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai carbotech

Master

Panerai carbotech

Quite like the look of these, wondering if anyone has experience of owning one? Are they tough, do they mark easily? Your views greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Have a goosey at some of the FB Panerai groups for opinions on the carbotech. Based on what I have seen I would be reluctant to put my hard earned into one.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks, not on Facebook. What are the “highlights”?

Master
    I have this 42mm Submersible that I love. It’s very lightweight and I really like the look of the Carbotech. Luckily, I haven’t knocked it yet, so I’m not sure how robust it is against impacts. However, all my steel watches have a million little scratches and this shows no day-to-day marks.

It has a visceral feel of a watch that would survive some adventure. There’s a g-shock aura to it.

Simon

Panerai carbotech

One of the nicest Panerai , reminds me of damaskos steel in the patterning

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I have the 01118. They will mark (see between 3-4) don’t know how I did it just noticed one day.

My watches are for wearing and enjoying so I don’t really worry. I’m conscious but not overly cautious.

Buy one don’t worry.

Master
    Thanks, for the replies so far, will need to get down to the boutique in London and try one on.

I’m looking at the 2231…is it worth the extra over similar stainless steel ones? Obviously all subjective but that’s what I’m pondering at the mo

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a 960 (same as Gladders) which I picked up on the SC mid 2020. Its super light and comfortable to wear, and I wear it relatively frequently. Its been on holiday with me, in the pool, diving and beach etc and remains pretty much like new except for a few tiny marks on the PVD clasp.

With these time will tell how durable they are in the long term, I know with the AP carbon fibre watches they had issues after a few years with the carbon fibre breaking down. Hopefully these don`t suffer the same fate, though with an 8 year warranty Panerai are offering decent cover on these.

Master
    Tried on the 42mm carbotech (Pam02231) earlier today. Very impressed, nice and light and comfortable on the wrists. Is it worth 70% more than equivalent steel model, that is something I’m trying to reconcile. Have to admit I do love the stealth look, and it would be different to anything I have now. In terms of buying I can get 15% off new from a UK based AD…anywhere else I should look for a better price?

Thanks
    Mike

Craftsman
    Try Berry’s in Leeds, done me a cracking deal on my 692 a few years ago . Unfortunately the manager I dealt with retired but they were quite happy to haggle

Master
    I'd add that as much as I love my blue 960, it can sometimes be very tricky to read the time. Especially in low light. Your 02231 looks a million times more legible.

That said, I think the blue looks cooler :)

simon

Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    Tried on the 42mm carbotech (Pam02231) earlier today. Very impressed, nice and light and comfortable on the wrists...

Can’t see you getting much more discount than that,who’s offered 15%

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Just to close the loop on this thread, picked up a 2231 yesterday from the AD and am really loving the watch. Never had anything like it before and being so light is really comfortable on the wrist. Added bonus was the upgraded panerai box which comes with a lovely travel case and that the second strap that comes with the watch is an actual proper strap (leather/fabric hybrid), rather than the fabric/Velcro type included before.

Craftsman
    Looks great , pretty cool watch , I wonder how it compares to the BMG models , I thought the tech was interesting but you don't hear much about it

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Lovely pick up. I do like the look of the carbotech tackle, have tried on a couple of 47mm subs and found very light and easy to wear. My caveat is around the pics I see of the cases/lugs allegedly fracturing for no apparent reason, and the reported lack of interest from Panerai around warranty liability.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Master
    I like these, stealthy cool

Master
    I love the look of these, unfortunately out of my price range but would love to try one on. Something a bit different, looks excellent with the blue.

Master
    For those interested some pics of the new style boxes:

And the additional strap that the watch came with:

Obviously still in the honeymoon phase but am loving this watch…nice to have something different in the collection and the carbotech has such a great look to it.

Looks great - can I ask your wrist size

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking72 View Post
    Looks great - can I ask your wrist size

Somewhere between 6.25 and 6.5 inches. I feel this model wears a lot smaller than other similar size panerai. I’ve had both the 392 and 682 previously which seemed to dominate the wrist more.

Master
    That is a really great looking watch, and the size looks fine.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Somewhere between 6.25 and 6.5 inches. I feel this model wears a lot smaller than other similar size panerai. I’ve had both the 392 and 682 previously which seemed to dominate the wrist more.

It sits well

47mm Subs always wear smaller than 47mm Luminors as the bezel on the sub is included in the overall size.

My 968 has a 5mm bezel so 10mm total. The face diameter is 37mm.

My 422 dial has a diameter of 47mm so appears to wear bigger. However it has a flat back and tappered lugs so sits around your wrist.

6.75 wrist diameter for reference.

Blog Entries
    Just to close the loop on this thread, picked up a 2231 yesterday from the AD and am really loving the watch. Never had anything like it before and being so light is really comfortable on the wrist. Added bonus was the upgraded panerai box which comes with a lovely travel case and that the second strap that comes with the watch is an actual proper strap (leather/fabric hybrid), rather than the fabric/Velcro type included before.

Congratulations on your purchase. I just saw this post! That looks great on you Michael. I had a similar look at the end of 2021 but ended up with the 1661 - I haven’t checked the box as it’s stashed away. I have 6 3/4” wrists and this is probably at the limit size for me. The Carbotech makes it super light. It did come with two straps - one with colour coordinated stitching.

And a mirror view:

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 20th January 2023 at 09:07.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Thanks, it was a toss up between the carbotech and the 2683…a fair difference in price but the carbotech just felt a bit more special and the lack of weight is quite refreshing.