closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regrets, I've had a few...

Regrets, I've had a few...

But then again, too few to mention.

Actually, there are four that I want to mention.

I've bought and sold about 100 watches over the past 10 years of watch collecting.

I've ended up with a passion for Seiko and Grand Seiko and currently own 8 watches that suit me and my lifestyle.

However there are four watches that haunt me. I acquired them early in my career, when prices and demand were not as high as they are now. I moved them on because I wanted to try other things but I now regret letting them go, not just because they have rocketed in vale.

So here they are, the ideal 4 watch collection that I could have had:

Omega Speedmaster from 1971. This was a stepped dial, birth year beauty. It had been fully overhauled by Genesis. It was my first luxury/expensive watch purchase. I remember my nerves as I slept on my decision and transferred what seemed like a huge sum of money for a watch...£1800! Wore it constantly and loved it for a couple of years before my desire to try other watches got the better of me.

Rolex Explorer 114270. This one had great provenance having come to me via Haywood Milton, it was a superb set. I found it to be the perfect size and so comfortable that I even wore it in bed. However I was thinking about other watches when someone posted a WTB and I foolishly let it go for the 3k it owed me.

Sinn EZM1. This came to me as part of a trade and once I strapped it on it just felt right - I loved the case shape, the weight and the legibility of the dial. It was a really cool watch and wearing it felt exciting. It should have stayed and I can't remember why I moved it on - for less than 2k.

Grand Seiko SBGR095. A dressy watch the unique design of the 62GS case. I loved the size, the interesting case shape, the bezel-less design, the depth of the dial. I sold it when I was going through a tough time (along with a few others) and regretted it instantly.

So there we have it. Looking back, out of all the watches I have ever owned, this would have been my perfect collection.

This the story of my regrets - tell me yours?
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 4th December 2022 at 20:26.

My Zenith Defy Diver Quartz because I thought it was something I wouldn’t get round to wearing (stupid decision) and my 2003 Rolex GMT Master because I didn’t feel that comfortable walking around with a £7k+ watch on my wrist (another stupid decision).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a huge fan of that particular GS, but I agree - that would be a lovely 4-watch collection covering all the bases. (I also let a perfect/mint EZM-1 go back in the day... bad move.)

Master
    I don't sell watches so no regrets.

Vostok 420059 Scuba dude
    Bought late January 2022, and banished to the watch box of shame 2-weeks later in Feb 2022.

Slava Ukraine

The only one I’ve ever had legit sellers remorse and regrets over was my Sinn 556i. It did it all, looked great, kept impeccable time.

Luckily it isn’t some discontinued long forgotten piece that is harder to locate than hens teeth, although I’d been trying to get a new one lately and there is about a 9 month delays due to supply chain stuff. Managed to to buy what looks a good example on eBay for a decent price, awaiting delivery and trying to convince myself that everything else can then go, and this’ll be it, all I need. We’ll see how that goes!
    Last edited by davidj54; 4th December 2022 at 11:13.

Both Royal Oak Offshore divers I’ve had because I think they’re too big. As soon as I’ve got rid of them what am I looking at again? Yes, offshore divers… also the AP 15300 I let got for about what I paid for it 5 years ago. Beautiful watch, I just thought it was too elegant for a scruff like me and now I just wouldn’t pay the inflated prices they command.

That said, I’m in the process of trimming my collection to 2 or 3 decent watches and the sale of one of them will pretty much pay for a new car. That’s been one of my better investments despite not being bought for that purpose at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I don't sell watches so no regrets.
    Eight years on a watch forum, with no outgoings - please tell us what you've bought in that time?

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    Eight years on a watch forum, with no outgoings - please tell us what you've bought in that time?
    Ten years on a watch forum, with no SC threads and no H&V feedback - please tell us what you've bought in that time?

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Ten years on a watch forum, with no SC threads and no H&V feedback - please tell us what you've bought in that time?
    What's it got to do with me? I asked because I am interested in a reply.

I do not have enough posts for SC to sell and I prefer purchasing new watches. I sell to dealers, eBay, Chrono 24 and my group of real friends.

Now, go troll elsewhere.
    Last edited by MacDeath; 4th December 2022 at 11:54.

Master
    I was looking at Chrono24 yesterday and noticed a message in the ‘buy’ section from years ago. I’d completely forgotten about this, I got as far as ordering and received a message saying it was no longer available. Let’s just say, this message has not aged well…

Master
    I miss this one most of all.

Master
    Six Rolex wrist watches, Omega 14ct Gold pocket watch and a Collet carriage clock. No regrets on that either.

I regret some of my early sales, not because they were particularly good/rare watches, but just because they had some history and were worth relatively little. When I first got interested in watches I bought the ubiquitous SKX007 that was all over YouTube at the time, wish I'd held on to that as it was my first mechanical.

Thought about this, I’m now pretty much lapsed as far as fine watches go, having transitioned into an Apple Watch as my main daily wearer, with a couple of G shocks as beaters and I’m categorically not a double wrister watch wearer. However over the past 16 years or so of the hobby, I’ve had an utter blast having owned many great pieces, a 5513 Sub, an Explorer II blackface, couple of Bond Seamasters, a Speedy Moon, a JLC Reverso Grande Date and many, many more less memorable pieces which have been equally great. I’ve been part of a great community on here, which hopefully my H&Vs attest to.

I was out in Buchanan Street in Glasgow with the family yesterday, and had previously taken my 15yo son on a walk down the Argyll Arcade walking him through the brands, styles and how things like Patek’s are incredible. He asked to go into the Omega boutique for a look and loves the blackface/bezel Seamaster, so that’s his 21st present sorted. Met up with my wife outside, and she was asking how much her Constellation (which I got her when I started the hobby - I’m not daft ;)) was new, and when she could get the diamond bezel version? Smiled to myself and thought although I’m now lapsed, do I regret any of the hobby? Not at all, it and the guys on here have given me so much personally over the years, and great to see my son, the next generation, showing an interest. Don’t be sad it’s passed, be thankful it happened as the corny old saying goes.
    Last edited by MattMM; 4th December 2022 at 14:39.

Master
    Most of the watches I've sold or traded I regret getting rid of, but the one that stands out is a Tudor 79260p chrono, pre Tiger Woods. A really handsome watch and one that has gone up in value 4 or 5 times the rrp.

When I bought my Submariner in 2011 the dealer suggested that the I would be better off with the "Hulk". I took the LN instead. Still, I only regret it with the benefit of hindsight. Time over again, I would probably do the same...

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Six Rolex wrist watches, Omega 14ct Gold pocket watch and a Collet carriage clock. No regrets on that either.
    Thanks. Be great to see them, especially the carriage clock!

Blog Entries
    Probably these

2. I think I should have kept this one (but then I couldn't have afforded others so not sure..)

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 4th December 2022 at 17:41.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I’ve sold many watches that I’ve later regretted including:

Tudor Snowflake and Prince Date 79260 chronograph
    GO Sport Evolution Panorama Date
    IWC Aquatimer 3538
    Seiko MM300 LE and Spring Drive Diver
    Damasko DA 37 & DC 57
    Omega baby ProProf
    Autavia 2446c
    Last edited by andy tims; 4th December 2022 at 18:35.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

For me it was a Helson Hammerhead with the ETA2824 movement, I bought the Longines legend diver soon after but it didn't compare :-(

A bit like the op I was buying everything in sight at the time but I do really miss it.
    It's about as rare as hens teeth being limited to 100.

Sent from a technical device.

I tend to hold onto my watches so I have few regrets but I wish I’d hung onto a few Seiko Turtles and SKX007s that I ended up selling.

In terms of buying I wish I’d bought a Panerai 177 back when they were <£2K and I really should have hoovered up all the old Tudors back when they were unloved prior to the UK relaunch.

I sit in the MickP school of watch collecting… Don’t sell them, I have bought many more than I have sold but I do have one regret. The full lume Zodiac red dot I sold on here. It’s a cheap watch. Nothing special but every example I look at has a dial in much worse condition and it had the bracelet (that was too small for me) it makes no sense but it’s the only watch I regret selling. I could pick up another but it won’t be that one.
    Others I have sold are gone but not forgotten.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I sit in the MickP school of watch collecting… Don’t sell them, I have bought many more than I have sold but I do have one regret. The full lume Zodiac red dot I sold on here. It’s a cheap watch. Nothing special but every example I look at has a dial in much worse condition and it had the bracelet (that was too small for me) it makes no sense but it’s the only watch I regret selling. I could pick up another but it won’t be that one.
    Others I have sold are gone but not forgotten.
    You are indeed a wise man.

Master
    There’s no one way to enjoy watches. Those that keep and never sell, those that constantly flip, those in between. It’s all good. No one should dictate to others how they should go about it.

I used to regret selling watches, or being a bit of a flipper, but now I’ve been through my fair share (probably not many fewer than the OP), I find I never really regret selling. There is always something else to try and perhaps the possibility of replacing it if you miss one, funds permitting.

Sure, if you sell, there’s more chance of remorse. But, come on folks, we are talking about pieces of metal at the end of the day. Who really cares? Just have fun.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would imagine the only sources of regret are the watches that can’t be bought back either through rarity or price inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I would imagine the only sources of regret are the watches that can’t be bought back either through rarity or price inflation.
    Pretty much this.

Have quite a few selling regrets which really used to be quite irksome. Notable mentions for a vintage Speedy, a few Heuer’s, Omega SM300, Tudor Snowflakes, Rolex 16800. Had to remind myself that with a few exceptions, I never owned them at the same time. Selling one or two allowed me to experience others and facilitate new purchases. All part of the fun on reflection.

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Pretty much this.

Have quite a few selling regrets which really used to be quite irksome. Notable mentions for a vintage Speedy, a few Heuer’s, Omega SM300, Tudor Snowflakes, Rolex 16800. Had to remind myself that with a few exceptions, I never owned them at the same time. Selling one or two allowed me to experience others and facilitate new purchases. All part of the fun on reflection.
    That’s a fairly healthy way of looking at it 👍

Biggest regret was not buying a sixties heuer offered at a ridiculously low price with b&p …Jay you know the one

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've had more regret around buying than selling, but I think you need that to help you be clear on what you really want.

Selling a vintage zenith 3817 is my biggest selling error looking back, while passing up on a new Kermit in an AD was my biggest buying mistake.

Exactly this. I would struggle to find and would be unable to afford the watches mentioned in my opening post.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Pretty much this.

This is a very healthy perspective, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    I've had more regret around buying than selling, but I think you need that to help you be clear on what you really want. .
    This is a very good point. It's through trying lots of watches, styles and brands that you come to find the ones that suit you most. Kissing a few frogs might help you find your prince (or princess). Problem is, sometimes you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Last edited by Rocket Man; 5th December 2022 at 09:26.

Master
    Thanks. Be great to see them, especially the carriage clock!
    No chance of that, iirc Mick was advised that posting pictures is a security risk..

I don't regret any of the sales I have made, I had good reasons for all of them.
    I do regret not buying an IDF issued Black PVD Heuer Autavia, which I thought was about £200 overpriced at £1500. Idiot. Not because of the supposed value now (which freely I admit to be significantly greater than the £1500), but because I had handled the watch in person and it was one of the coolest wathes I'd ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I don't regret any of the sales I have made, I had good reasons for all of them.
    I do regret not buying an IDF issued Black PVD Heuer Autavia, which I thought was about £200 overpriced at £1500. Idiot. Not because of the supposed value now (which freely I admit to be significantly greater than the £1500), but because I had handled the watch in person and it was one of the coolest wathes I'd ever seen.
    Was it cool because the previous owner had probably murdered Palestinian men, women and children while wearing it, or some other reason?

Master
    Temperature of the thread raised just a touch, there

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Was it cool because the previous owner had probably murdered Palestinian men, women and children while wearing it, or some other reason?
    What a complete a~hole…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    What a complete a~hole…
    No current SC threads to ruin I assume lol.

NOT a can of worms to be opened and discussed here . Save for another thread or preferably another forum

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

No, it was cool becauae it was a beautifully Wabi-ed PVD chronograph, all black with white dial markings and hands, and lovely cream lume.
    I have no particular appreciation for the IDF in any sense, I was more interested in the watch.

One of the most stupid and unjustified comments I have seen in WT for a while…

Master

Dreadful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Politely ignoring the steaming pile mid-thread.

I regret selling my triple 6 sea dweller stardust dial, APRO 15400, Aquanaut 5167A, and the 1st Pam 233 that I bought AD new many years back.
    Id be happy with those 4 as a collection but, they say dont look back and im happy with what ive got.

Regrets?
    A meteorite Daytona I sold for either £7800 or £8700!
    A solid gold Tutima pilot chronograph sold cheap
    Oh, and the way some people behave on here-(see above)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Maybe this one … was a birth year minter. As close as you’d get to NOS.

But at the time I’d been getting frustrated by a Top Time that had to go back and I’d decided that vintage watches were too much trouble.

Smiths W10

These. Amongst others.
    The Landmaster is a big regret. The Sub because it owed me nothing and I made nothing.
    The bloody modded Tudor… that was such a chore to do and I loved it - bloody bracelet ruined it. Needed taper and no faux side things.
    The others were such fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 6th December 2022 at 21:35.

Master
    Maybe this one … was a birth year minter. As close as you’d get to NOS.

But at the time I’d been getting frustrated by a Top Time that had to go back and I’d decided that vintage watches were too much trouble.

Smiths W10
    I remember your sales post for this one and I regretted not buying it. A beautiful example indeed.

Master
    Two Panerai base 00000. Sold the first one, which I instantly regretted. Managed to pick up a second one which was a completely full set, hang tags, case back stickers - everything. It was also one of the last production years of the 300m water resistant and screw in bars and screw down case back, before Panerai cut production costs and introduced the 100m water resistant variants with spring bars and snap on case backs. I’m still kicking myself whilst I’m writing this, I still haven’t found one as close to a complete as the second one that I sold.

Blog Entries
    Selling my Auricoste Spirotechnique... (non issued, but still...)

Master
    Never thought a meteorite Daytona would ever be that low?

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Regrets?
    A meteorite Daytona I sold for either £7800 or £8700!
    A solid gold Tutima pilot chronograph sold cheap
    Oh, and the way some people behave on here-(see above)