closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fort William or Penzance in winter?

Fort William or Penzance in winter?

Hi folks

I'm thinking of going to either of above over Christmas. Nice places to be over Christmas?

I'm asking specifically about those two because I'm intending to use the sleeper train to get there

Any insights gratefully received

Thank you

Fort William is not exactly quaint or picturesque in itself, but a day trip on the Hogwarts Express train to Mallaig is lovely. The beaches up that way offer stunning coastal walks. Also Glen Coe is nearby - hopefully day trips are available.
    Cornwall’s coastline offers stunning coastal walks too of course. Either destination would be best enjoyed with a car rented locally.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A lot of Fort W will be closed I reckon but it’s a lovely town with great scenic walks and drives nearby.

Edinburgh Glasgow and Stirling are all doable for a day away too.

Have a great trip whatever you decide. Lucky you either way

Jim

Do you prefer warm rain or cold rain?
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Either would be great but Fort William may just have more potential issues with inclement weather.

If train travel is the uppermost factor, may I throw in a sleeper to Plymouth then a lovely little train-hop to Liskeard then the delightful little branch line to the gem that is Looe.

Thanks for the pointers guys

I shall look into each one. Don't mind rain as long I'm prepared for it

Craftsman
    Spent a few hours in Fort William a while back and it seemed pretty run down ,lots of shops closed up and just a bit of a miserable feel about it .Shame because it is a great base .

Craftsman
    I'd say both make amazing bases but neither are great places in themselves. If you stayed within a few miles of either place I think it would be a lot nicer (even a mile away in Newlyn for example) it would make a huge difference however YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    I'd say both make amazing bases but neither are great places in themselves. If you stayed within a few miles of either place I think it would be a lot nicer (even a mile away in Newlyn for example) it would make a huge difference however YMMV.
    Or Mousehole. There's a bonny little place to spend Christmas.
    Last edited by unclealec; 4th December 2022 at 14:49.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Do you prefer warm rain or cold rain?
    You mean cold rain, or sleet.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Penzance, more daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Penzance, more daylight.
    Yep, nearly 80 minutes more.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nosher View Post
    Spent a few hours in Fort William a while back and it seemed pretty run down ,lots of shops closed up and just a bit of a miserable feel about it .Shame because it is a great base .
    Sadly it’s like many of our Scottish towns and cities. No regeneration from pre covid.

The capital’s disgrace is no long just up Calton Hill, it’s the whole city due to the disgraceful CoEC

Anyway, Fort William or Penzance is the OPs question not the overwhelming demise of God’s Country.

Jim

As has been said, Fort William really isn't anything special as a place to stay though as a base to spread out from it's OK. Oban may be a better option if you're travelling by rail, depending on what services are running you could catch a ferry from there to the outer islands as well.

I assume that it's Penzance or Fort William due to the arrival times of the direct trains (approx. 0900)?

I'd prefer Pitlochry over either, but it's a god-forsaken place to alight from the Inverness sleeper at 0615.

Actually, Inverness wouldn't be a bad alternative.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Cornwall is warmer and has more daylight, so bit surely it's a no brainer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    As has been said, Fort William really isn't anything special as a place to stay though as a base to spread out from it's OK. Oban may be a better option if you're travelling by rail, depending on what services are running you could catch a ferry from there to the outer islands as well.
    I’d agree, Oban is a better shout than Fort William (No.17 or No.26 have decent rooms and food also). Ferries get booked up in advance if you are thinking about island hopping though… so some planning required.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Sadly it’s like many of our Scottish towns and cities. No regeneration from pre covid.

The capital’s disgrace is no long just up Calton Hill, it’s the whole city due to the disgraceful CoEC

Anyway, Fort William or Penzance is the OPs question not the overwhelming demise of God’s Country.

Jim
    Out of genuine interest, what is the CoEC?

Master
    We do Penzance most years we stay at garnson house b&b behind the station whis is always good for us the longboat next door for a cheap meal and the Indian a bit further down is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by ant8519 View Post
    Out of genuine interest, what is the CoEC?
    City of Edinburgh Council? (guessing)

Ah yes that makes sense. Bit off topic but never mind.

For what it's worth, Fort William a bit down at heel bit as others have said fabulous beaches and coastline within striking distance.

Cornwall a culture free zone and dead over the winter.

I'd go to Scotland of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by nosher View Post

This also describes Fort William from 30 years ago. As you say, it's a great base.

Master
    Blog Entries
    More chance of snow up Scotland. I'd go Scotland.

The temperature is going to be a lot colder in Ft William, but you don’t say what sort of accommodation you are looking for.

I wonder if there will be many affordable lodges/cabins etc in the highlands this winter as heating costs are going to be crippling. Cornwall will be a surer bet, I suspect.

I think a search on AirBnB in the two areas, would be the place to start - at least it will give you an idea of costs.

A pal of mine was going to Stathpeffer area with 5 other bikers, and instead of going on a food/beer run when they got there, they pre-ordered a big delivery from Tesco to arrive 30mins after they did, with the entire food they would need! Clever, I thought.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    City of Edinburgh Council? (guessing)
    Nah, City of Edinburgh Clowncil😜

I’d pick Cornwall. There’s a chance you get a couple of mild days, a nice walk on the beach and some great pubs and restaurants in abundance.

Went through Fort William a couple of times in August and wouldn’t rush back.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Or Mousehole. There's a bonny little place to spend Christmas.

Good call, lovely place.

Penzance is a very distant second choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Hi folks

I'm thinking of going to either of above over Christmas. Nice places to be over Christmas?

I'm asking specifically about those two because I'm intending to use the sleeper train to get there

Any insights gratefully received

Thank you
    You may need to choose a location from which you can return from during the rail strikes.
    Near an airport or car hire facility.

My mother lives in FW. Unless you are hiking, not much of a draw now.
    If it wasn't for the Morrisons supermarket, where all the campervans come to re stock it would die I think.
    The sleeper does go to Inverness. That would be my destination if I had to go up there. Bit more to it. And that sleeper is not cheap.

Thanks guys

As pointed out above, there are looming national rail strikes so I'll put this plan on hold for now.

Good information on this thread though. Thank you. I'll come back to it