closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Between holes on a leather strap

Master
    Blog Entries

Between holes on a leather strap

I’m annoyingly between holes on a strap.

I don’t want to change buckles as the buckle is the branded one that goes with the watch.

I don’t want to change the strap as it’s the IWC EasX-CHANGE system which makes is a quick change to others.

Would I be mad to get a pair of these and elongate the hole as I don’t think there would be room to put another hole between the existing ones.

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/pro...h-pliers-1-5mm

What’s the best course of action?

Possibly a risk for a first-timer with a cheaper tool than the company would use. Worth asking an AD or watchmaker. At least they’ll have insurance or a replacement if it all goes wrong.

Craftsman
    Would not one of these gadgets not do the job a lot cheaper. Providing the smallest punch is small enough.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404021935...3ABFBMhrbf85ph

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve had a measure up.

The holes are 2mm diameter spaced at 7mm gaps so 5mm of leather between holes.

Based on that I don’t think it’s viable to punch another hole between the existing.

So my only option is to elongate the hole that is too tight by 2mm.

I cant be the first person to encounter this issue.
    Last edited by Montello; 3rd December 2022 at 18:21.

Presumably a leather strap, is it possible to stretch it somehow by couple of mm?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Presumably a leather strap, is it possible to stretch it somehow by couple of mm?
    Yes, leather. I’m wondering if it will bed in / stretch with wear?

I’ve been wearing bracelet watches with fine adjust for years this is a new annoyance.

I had this issue with a thick Breitling strap, which wasn't in the mood for stretching. I just drilled a hole between holes with a 1mm drill bit. I held the drill in a pin vice. Fits perfectly now.

Craftsman
    It is winter where I am, and my wrist is definitely smaller at this time of year, or should I say, it swells a little bit in the summer, so I have to wear my watch straps a bit looser in the summer. So you may find that your fine adjustment now will not fit at a warmer time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    I just drilled a hole between holes with a 1mm drill bit. I held the drill in a pin vice.
    I've done exactly this in the past on leather trouser belts, albeit with a slightly larger drill.

I would consider adding a thin liner to the inside of the strap.

Grand Master
    Another vote for making an additional hole very carefully, a 1mm drill bit used carefully should do the trick. I’ve done a few of mine using a punch tool which makes a clean small hole, but care is needed. I’m much happier doing a belt!

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I would consider adding a thin liner to the inside of the strap.
    Excellent idea, certainly worth trying.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Another vote for making an additional hole very carefully, a 1mm drill bit used carefully should do the trick. I’ve done a few of mine using a punch tool which makes a clean small hole, but care is needed. I’m much happier doing a belt!
    Punch a new hole half way between the existing holes or elongate the tight hole?

I’m not convinced there is enough material between holes to make a new one.

When faced with this common problem, I wear larger and find the watch doesn't rattle about, but finds a space on the wrist in a relatively short time. Try it, run with it and see before butchering the strap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Punch a new hole half way between the existing holes or elongate the tight hole?

I have punched between holes before on an IWC strap, rather that than making an existing hole bigger that’s just going to cause trouble imo

- - - Updated - - -

I have punched between holes before on an IWC strap, rather that than making an existing hole bigger that’s just going to cause trouble imo

Master
    I’ve had to do this a few times and have managed to elongate holes or punch in between. The strap can end up looking like it’s seen better days, but it can solve the problem. Just don’t use one of those big gadgets posted earlier, it’s very easy to end up with a hole in the wrong place as the punch is pivoting round and moving as it’s closed. It’s much easier with a set of hole punches that you bang with a hammer, something like this, then you can place it perfectly. Just test first to make sure the size is correct and do it on a piece of scrap wood or you’ll punch a little circle in your table (or bread board in my case).

Master
    This often happens to me, seriously annoying!

I had a go at making an extra hole once, didn’t go particularly well tbh. Better to wear it slightly looser than your normal maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    This often happens to me, seriously annoying!

I had a go at making an extra hole once, didn’t go particularly well tbh. Better to wear it slightly looser than your normal maybe.
    I agree - if you try to add a hole I guarantee the strap will be in the bin within a week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well after a hour and a half of fiddling with straps and buckles I have realised that the IWC strap will never be comfortable.

I have measured various straps and conclude that I need a strap that sits right between the holes on the IWC strap.

3mm makes all the difference.

I have a Colareb strap that is perfect with the IWC buckle and I have settled with that.

I was liking the IWC quick change system but that will have to go by the way so switching to the bracelet will take a bit more time but it’s not something I would do every day.

I have ordered a set of punches and will contemplate adding a hole to the IWC strap in due course, may as well have a go … otherwise it just sits in the box …

You`re not thinking about this laterally.
    Either gain or lose some weight to so that your arms get thinner or fatter to enable you to use your desired strap hole.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Either gain or lose some weight to so that your arms get thinner or fatter to enable you to use your desired strap hole.
    Lol … I wonder how many inches I’d need to add to my waist to add 3mm to my wrist?

Fair suggestion but I think I’ll pass.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Unfortunately there is no fat on the wrist - maybe 3 months down the gym and/or excessive wrist action could add girth?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I added an additional hole using the sharp end of a burgeon strap changing tool - it wasn't aesthetically a great job but it was functional. I'd suggest a professional leather maker if you don't have the correct hole punch tools and work bench.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    If you’re feeling flush, you could treat yourself to one of these:

https://quillandpad.com/2022/01/21/h...thats-win-win/

simon

I hate being between holes, too, but I'm reliably informed the more socially-acceptable term nowadays is 'single'...

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I hate being between holes, too, but I'm reliably informed the more socially-acceptable term nowadays is 'single'...
    Between holes you say? The technical term is perineum.

And OP? You're looking for a punch, mate.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Between holes you say? The technical term is perineum.

And OP? You're looking for a punch, mate.
    I’m tooled up now … bit of practice on some old ones first.

Master
    If you are dead set on the strap and watch combo then you could place a small pad on the case back. it would take up any existing slack when pin is in the larger of the two holes.

I still think a small amount of padding is much neater than butchering the strap.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Well after a hour and a half of fiddling with straps and buckles I have realised that the IWC strap will never be comfortable.

I have measured various straps and conclude that I need a strap that sits right between the holes on the IWC strap.

3mm makes all the difference.

I have a Colareb strap that is perfect with the IWC buckle and I have settled with that.

I was liking the IWC quick change system but that will have to go by the way so switching to the bracelet will take a bit more time but it’s not something I would do every day.

I have ordered a set of punches and will contemplate adding a hole to the IWC strap in due course, may as well have a go … otherwise it just sits in the box …
    Have you tried mounting the strap with buckle at 6?
    Im annoyingly between holes on leather straps 99% of the time so wearing on looser hole results in watch head moving to outside of wrist and driving me mad.
    Have discovered that reversing the strap prevents this as the buckle side is naturally shorter so holds watch in place more.

What about a deployant with micro-adjustments? E.g. the Formex?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m sorted now, gone with an alternate strap and ordered more.

Not deployed the punches yet.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well I finally plucked up the courage to punch another hole in my IWC strap.

I figured no point having it sat in a drawer so nothing really to lose if I messed it up ...

Anyway; very pleased with the results and the new hole gives a perfect fit.

I used the 1mm punch which in practice gives a hole probably closer to 2mm. I dressed the cut of the new hole with a bit of shoe wax on a cocktail stick.

It looks fine and fits perfect; I guess time will be the judge of how it wears.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks great, I've done this before and always punch smaller to allow for any stretching.

Sometimes I've punched an existing hole longer with good results too, making it an oval.

Grand Master
    Full marks for that! Not much scope for error, the hole needs to be in exactly the right place.

I usually end up doing this with straps.