closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dodgy Song Lyrics

Dodgy Song Lyrics

One the way to work in the car this morning I was humming to the catchy tune Young Girl by Gary Puckett.

Great tune and had me tapping the steering wheel, but after a minute I started to listen and pay attention to the lyrics instead of the melody. It is well dodge.

Young girl get out of my mind, my love for you is way out of line. Better run girl, your much too young girl. Yikes!

I guess Me Too wasn’t much of a thing in the late 60s. Half expect it to be banned on Radio 1.

Master
    Aww, I thought this was going to be a mis-heard lyrics thread. I love them.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=pete...id:4UiuygmkHuA

You make a valid point, OP.

Young girl
    Get out of my mind
    My love for you is way out of line
    Better run, girl
    You're much too young, girl

With all the charms of a woman
    You've kept the secret of your youth
    You led me to believe you're old enough
    To give me love
    And now it hurts to know the truth

Beneath your perfume and make-up
    You're just a baby in disguise
    And though you know that it's wrong to be
    Alone with me
    That come on look is in your eyes

So hurry home to your mama
    I'm sure she wonders where you are
    Get out of here before I have the time
    To change my mind
    Cause I'm afraid we'll go too far

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I've always thought tonight's the night by Rod Stewart was really off, Ringo Starr, You're Sixteen, there's any number of them in hindsight.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    One the way to work in the car this morning I was humming to the catchy tune Young Girl by Gary Puckett.

Great tune and had me tapping the steering wheel, but after a minute I started to listen and pay attention to the lyrics instead of the melody. It is well dodge.

Young girl get out of my mind, my love for you is way out of line. Better run girl, your much too young girl. Yikes!

I guess Me Too wasn’t much of a thing in the late 60s. Half expect it to be banned on Radio 1.
    The song is about a bloke who falls for a girl but then discovers that she lied about her age.

I always thought Alanis Morrisette “Ironic”

An old man turned ninety-eight
    He won the lottery and died the next day
    It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
    It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
    And isn't it ironic... don't you think

Was:

It's a death rope hard-on two minutes too late

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    The song is about a bloke who falls for a girl but then discovers that she lied about her age.
    That’s my story officer, and I am sticking with it.

That Gary Puckett song is a great song in itself until, as you say, you think about the lyrics and it becomes very uncomfortable to put it mildly.
    Watch the "now that's what I call the 70's" channel on TV and there are quite a few numbers regularly shown that are now questionable.
    Mungo Jerry's 'In The Summertime' has something along the lines of "if her daddy's rich take her out for a meal, if her daddy's poor you can do what you feel".
    And I assume its written tongue in cheek but 10cc's 'Dreadlock Holiday' with its racial stereotyping. The owner of the first "dark voice" is mugging him, the owner of the second "dark voice" is offering drugs. How is this allowed to be played now? Unless I've completely missed the point, won't be the first time.
    And of course there is John Lennon singing "I'd rather see you dead little girl than see you with another man" in The Beatles 'Run For Your Life'.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 1st December 2022 at 21:49.

And the misogyny in Hey Joe, Delilah, Rocksalt and Nails etc...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I always thought Alanis Morrisette “Ironic”

An old man turned ninety-eight
    He won the lottery and died the next day
    It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
    It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
    And isn't it ironic... don't you think

Was:

It's a death rope hard-on two minutes too late
    I cannot I hear that now!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    That Gary Puckett song is a great song in itself until, as you say, you think about the lyrics and it becomes very uncomfortable to put it mildly.
    Watch the "now that's what I call the 70's" channel on TV and there are quite a few numbers regularly shown that are now questionable.
    Mungo Jerry's 'In The Summertime' has something along the lines of "if her daddy's rich take her out for a meal, if her daddy's poor you can do what you feel".
    And I assume its written tongue in cheek but 10cc's 'Dreadlock Holiday' with its racial stereotyping. The owner of the first "dark voice" is mugging him, the owner of the second "dark voice" is offering drugs. How is this allowed to be played now? Unless I've completely missed the point, won't be the first time.
    And of course there is John Lennon singing "I'd rather see you dead little girl than see you with another man" in The Beatles 'Run For Your Life'.
    It's a funny one, isn't it? There's nothing racist about Dreadlock Holiday, I don't think - it's reportage, rather than judgement. In Mungo Jerry's case, I'd worry more about, "Have a drink have a drive,"

The Lennon lyrics are just another funny one. He would be 81 years old today, and I know plenty of 81-year-olds with equally dodgy opinions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63822940

It's a continuum, of course, but we can still enjoy the music. Just be aware that most of it is a product of its time.

Master
    As a young lad in the 70s I loved the guitar riffs in this - still do

But maybe the lyrics are a little questionable ....

Master
    Smokie’s Oh Carol.
    “I’m not 16 if you know what I mean, so we sat and we talked for a while,
    When we finally kissed, you know she didn’t resist and I must say she did it with style”

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    It's a funny one, isn't it? There's nothing racist about Dreadlock Holiday, I don't think - it's reportage, rather than judgement.
    This.
    The lyrics are loosely based on experiences the songwriters had in Kingston/Barbados.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Dodgy on another level.

Some popular music lyricists write with heart-aching accuracy of the joy, sorrow, and angst that love often brings.

And some don't.

May I draw your attention to Manfred Mann's "Do-Wah-Diddy-Diddy"

"There she was just walkin' down the street
    (Singin', "Do wah diddy, diddy, dum diddy do)"

OK so far.

"Snappin' her fingers and shufflin' her feet"

Now I don't know about you - but if I were out on the pull, my primary target would not be someone doing a Zombie impression.
    Or maybe that is where I went wrong when on life's passage.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Rich seam of songs are like this

Overload by Zappacosta
    Human Nature by Michael Jackson
    Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler
    Every Breath You Take by the Police
    Candy by Cameo

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    It's a funny one, isn't it? There's nothing racist about Dreadlock Holiday, I don't think - it's reportage, rather than judgement. In Mungo Jerry's case, I'd worry more about, "Have a drink have a drive,"

The Lennon lyrics are just another funny one. He would be 81 years old today, and I know plenty of 81-year-olds with equally dodgy opinions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63822940

It's a continuum, of course, but we can still enjoy the music. Just be aware that most of it is a product of its time.
    Hmm, maybe not intentionally racist but if portraying black people as muggers and drug dealers isn't racial profiling I don't know what is.
    Yes, that's another dodgy lyric from the same Mungo Jerry song. A pity about this song really as its one of their most famous songs but in reality they were a smoking hot blues/rock outfit.
    There is no bigger fan of John Lennon and The Beatles than me, my wife calls me a Beatles anorak, but like many genius' he had a dark side. A song entitled "Run For Your Life" containing death threats unless a woman behaves how he wants her too is maybe a little more than "just another funny one"?
    Yes, I'm fully aware the songs are a product of the their time and must be taken in that context and that context alone, this thread is just a conversation where members can talk about these songs and discuss what wouldn't be acceptable today compared to then, not a wish to cancel them.

I just heard Elton Johns and George Michaels singing something about not letting the son go down on me, that sounds well dodgy.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Gary Glitter had some cracking tunes but when you listen to the lyrics, oh dear, hiding in plain sight.

If only we knew then what we know now.

Never not posting this -

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Rich seam of songs are like this

Every Breath You Take by the Police
    Don't stand so close to me - Police again!

Master
    Elvis Costello no longer performs Oliver’s Army because of the N word although it’s enigmatically predeced by the word white.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Dire straits money for nothing has some homophobic language

So - is this by today's standards................ mysogenistic? (or gender-exclusive)

Master

Dodgy Song Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Dire straits money for nothing has some homophobic language
    Yes, I only picked up recently on this & the millionaire.

The cleansed Fairytale of NY is just weird without the same word, yet seemed more harmless as an arguing couple. Still my favourite festive song. 2nd December and not yet heard it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Someone mentioned "In the Summertime" & the implication that it's OK to take advantage poor girls, it also features the line "Have a drink, have a drive, go out and see what you can find"...