closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: "Works Unit Only" turning

Master

"Works Unit Only" turning

Can you legally take a "Works Unit Only" turning off a major road?

The other day my TomTom GPS unit was trying to route me down here, off the M11: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.06...7i16384!8i8192

I didn't take it and so went the long way round, and a quick Google search doesn't help much about whether it was encouraging me to break the law or not. I should add that it's a current 6200 satnav unit and I'd updated it a couple of days beforehand...

Any thoughts/knowledge most welcome.

Edit: not correct

Master
    I would be amazed if you were allowed, without it being a genuine emergency to leave the carriageway.

That said, nothing to base this on & would love to learn the actual answer.

Paging Rod to the thread!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I would be amazed if you were allowed, without it being a genuine emergency to leave the carriageway.

That said, nothing to base this on & would love to learn the actual answer.

Paging Rod to the thread!
    Yeah, that was my assumption, but it would be great to know.
    I've posed the same question on a Pistonheads forum, and so far I've had replies ranging from "It's illegal" through "It's OK as long as there isn't a police car there and it doesn't say No Entry" to "I go down there several times a week"

In that image there is no specific sign i.e., a red circle, to indicate that you cannot enter the slipway. That said, to access it, you would have to cross onto and use the hard shoulder. Non-emergency use of the hard shoulder I suspect would be the offence.

You can see the temptation. If you've made the wrong turn at Duxford, next stop is Stansted. That slipway gets you back on to the North Bound A11.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by the.admiral View Post
    In that image there is no specific sign i.e., a red circle, to indicate that you cannot enter the slipway. That said, to access it, you would have to cross onto and use the hard shoulder. Non-emergency use of the hard shoulder I suspect would be the offence.

You can see the temptation. If you've made the wrong turn at Duxford, next stop is Stansted. That slipway gets you back on to the North Bound A11.
    Yes, indeed.

BTW I've found an 'unofficial' TomTom community forum which looks pretty active, so I've posted a summary there and I'll report back. I knew the official TomTom forum had closed, but it looks like this is a worthwhile substitute: https://www.tomtomforums.com/

Is the sign red or blue?

I think that should anything "bad" happen, you would find that you are not insured.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Is the sign red or blue?
    Blue, but to get to the slip road you need to cross an intact and unbroken hard shoulder.

Some info here:-

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/?title=LILO

The road is not for public use, hence the signage.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 2nd December 2022 at 20:40.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Some info here:-

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/?title=LILO

The road is not for public use, hence the signage.
    Interesting: on the M11 there's no filter lane and, as I said, an unbroken hard shoulder (with associated unbroken white line). So, I suspect you'd risk getting done for an unauthorised use of the hard shoulder and maybe even also dangerous driving...

Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    Can you legally take a "Works Unit Only" turning off a major road?

The other day my TomTom GPS unit was trying to route me down here, off the M11: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.06...7i16384!8i8192

I didn't take it and so went the long way round, and a quick Google search doesn't help much about whether it was encouraging me to break the law or not. I should add that it's a current 6200 satnav unit and I'd updated it a couple of days beforehand...

Any thoughts/knowledge most welcome.
    Have you looked at the other end...Google Maps?

It is marked No Entry and is a T-Junction onto a motorway. Not something that I would advise and you never know who is going to be parked half-way down (see link).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post

It is marked No Entry and is a T-Junction onto a motorway. Not something that I would advise and you never know who is going to be parked half-way down (see link).
    For sure, but there aren’t any No Entry signs at the top end, which is the way my satnav was trying to route me…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post

Yeah I’d be sneaking along that final part & if plod was there, I need to wait for a while. T junction to a motorway even with a brisk car is going to be interesting.

Had plod appear from a short slip road into the outer lane on the A303 recently. Rather rapidly, as though he hadn’t seen me & my heavy braking to avoid him.

He had no lights or sirens, but proceeded with pace. No idea on the legality there either to break limits. If I were to follow, I’m sure I’m in the wrong there too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    For sure, but there aren’t any No Entry signs at the top end, which is the way my satnav was trying to route me…
    There is a restricted entry sign - AKA 'Works Unit Only' though.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

It is a designated legal road sign and illegal to go down it. On the other hand, if you were caught it would need an understanding road traffic officer not to issue a penalty if you had a very good reason for you to go there.
    You maybe had an issue of illness and need to escape to a safe place therefore not putting you at risk and other drivers.
    The officer would in this case be understanding and hopefully assist.
    A misdirection from a Sat nav isn't an excuse in my view.
    The situation would have to be assessed given the excuse by a driver.

See regs 5 and 9 of the The Motorways Traffic (England and Wales) Regulations 1982 (as amended):

• 5. Subject to the following provisions of these Regulations, no vehicle shall be driven on any part of a motorway which is not a carriageway.

• Restriction on the use of hard shoulders
      9. No vehicle shall be driven or stop or remain at rest on any hard shoulder except in accordance with paragraphs (2) and (3) of Regulation 7.