closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster Prices

Speedmaster Prices

I was perusing the latest Friday thread and saw some rather nice Speedies. Curiosity took me off to the Omega website, as I wondered what the current bracelet looked like on the watch but ! almost fell off my chair, when I saw RRP is £6,000!

Now clearly I have not been paying attention to prices recently, as I couldn't believe they were asking that much. I know the latest model has a new movement, hacking seconds, a better bracelet and so on. But £6K! Wow.

Are discounts possible in the real world, not that I'm in the market, but I am curious?

I reckon vintage Speedy prices have softened, so at that price you’re better off with vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    I reckon vintage Speedy prices have softened, so at that price you’re better off with vintage.
    Thanks, yes I think I would rather have a vintage. Mine is I believe a 2000 model, so approaching vintage status. :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Thanks, yes I think I would rather have a vintage. Mine is I believe a 2000 model, so approaching vintage status. :)
    It's nice to think that Omega's brand protection strategies seem to be working.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    It's nice to think that Omega's brand protection strategies seem to be working.
    I don't know what that means.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I don't know what that means.
    A few years ago you could walk into an Omega AD and negotiate a discount on virtually any model. Also you could walk into almost any watch repairer (often not that competent) to have it serviced and as a result the brand suffered.

Omega have reduced the level of discounting by restricting the supply of watches and parts and this is driving prices up.

Omegas will follow Rolex in becoming assets that are likely to increase over the long term.

You can still negotiate discounts of up to 20%. I've done this on my last two recent Omega purchases by calling various AD's and basically asking and pushing hard - i.e. ready to buy now if you can get to this price for me. Keep it polite and professional and they'll do what they can to find a win win for all!
    Last edited by ataripower; 17th December 2022 at 16:59.

Craftsman
    Hard to get more than 9.9%

*** knows how people get 20%.

Prices up again in Jan.

Apprentice
    Glad I got my hesalite in July for £4.7k (discount was about 15% I think). I was planning on waiting for my 50th next year but had a feeling prices would keep going up. It has always been THE watch I knew I would be prepared to splash out on but not sure I would have wanted to go above £5k, let alone £6k, soon to be £7k. I know inflation is bad but watch prices are getting a bit silly now across the board in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I think I’ve missed the boat on these, a watch I’ve always been a fan of.
    They are nearly zenith money now, and I think I might prefer one of them.

I got bored of mine pretty quickly. No desire to get another. £6k is bonkers. I'd be looking at Zenith or JLC first.

I love Omega but reality is they are Rolex wannabes! Not impressed by the way they handle themselves as regards Limited editions and allocation. Could not buy a 321 new model - zero interaction despite putting a deposit down for my 50th. And we all know the moonswatch is a cash grab!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    I love Omega but reality is they are Rolex wannabes! Not impressed by the way they handle themselves as regards Limited editions and allocation. Could not buy a 321 new model - zero interaction despite putting a deposit down for my 50th. And we all know the moonswatch is a cash grab!

I can't agree with Omega being Rolex wannabes. Omega offers a lot more than Rolex, they have:

• a strong Ltd Edition catalogue
    • Historic re-editions
    • Movie, olympic and Swatch tie-ins
    • Innovative movements (Chime)
    • Manual and Ana-digi movements
    • Ceramic and titanium watches

And most models available in AD's at RRP.

Against other Swiss Chrono's the Speedy isn't badly priced.

Tudor Black Bay Chronograph £4.4k
    Tag Heuer Carrera 42m £5.3
    Omega Speedmaster £6k
    Breitling Premier B01 Chronograph £7.1k
    Panerai Luminor Chrono £8.3k
    Zenith Chronomaster Sport £9.2k
    Rolex Daytona £12.1k (realistcally £25-30k)

Master
    Paid £1500 duty free for my first Speedie 42mm hesalite moonwatch in 2012. £6k imho is bonkers

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Paid £1500 duty free for my first Speedie 42mm hesalite moonwatch in 2012. £6k imho is bonkers

I paid £150 for a Speedy Pro back in the 80's but I had to own a 3861.

The Omega retails will continue to rise as we all know. It is bonkers.
    Last edited by j111dja; 17th December 2022 at 23:50.

Craftsman
    I made an impulse buy and bought the previous gen hesalite (at a discount) when the new model was released. Figured it was now or never if I wanted a brand new speedy as 6k for the new model is more than i would be willing to pay.

Master
    There is quite a good article on top end watches in todays Sunday Times. Basically it is just a re'sume' of how well the watches have done price wise, how the dealers are trying not to sell to flippers and most importantly why they think the future is very rosey.

The Chinese are keen to restart their vacation sprees of buying up goodies and the young city affluents who are still making the dosh are also keen on watches that demonstrate that they are successful.

Rebranding is now of mega importance and whether you like it or not, these watches are a lifestyle symbol and the values are only going one way, so buy them whilst you can.

Craftsman
    All these basic mass produced watches have gone up to crazy prices the last few years, that's what the watch market has become , I love the 321 model , the omega boutique said you would have to have an extensive purchase history and wait 3/5 years for one , when I replied I could get one from a grey deal for a few thousand over list and avoid all that BS they didn't answer

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app