closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Pie Pan Constellation

Omega Pie Pan Constellation

A decidedly vintage offering for this review. The original Omega Constellation range was introduced in 1952 shortly after Rolex had made all their watches to Chronometer standard in 1951 - no coincidence I'm sure.

This particular model is ref 167.005 from 1964. It was a bit of an impulse purchase for me but has quickly become, and more importantly remained, my daily wearer despite having bought another watch since.

The appeal:
    • Primarily the design. The Pie Pan dial is it's signature feature, but the applied Omega logo, name and star mix with printed details on the face to give a lot of visual interest. The visual interest extends to the case and crown where the use of facets and bevels present well despite the consistent polished finish.
    • Secondly the vintage look. It's unmistakably vintage in look yet at the same time timeless comparing well with the modern iteration of the Pie Pan in the Globemaster.
    • Thirdly the brand. It's recognisable and I think Omega is in the ascendancy at the moment.
    • Finally the Chronometer standard. Ok it's not keeping to that standard currently but at about 15 sec per day it's not bad for a 60 year old watch. And it's automatic which is not that common for this age of watch.

I always wanted one of these as I thought they were a Gerald Genta design, but my subsequent research suggests that the Pie Pan dial precedes his involvement at Omega which was from 1959 according to this bio: https://www.geraldgenta-heritage.com/iconic-models

This being a 1964 watch it may have benefited from his input, but I can't count it as a complete Genta in the same way I do with my Polerouter...unless anyone can tell me different? I understand a lot of his work was done without credit.

Here's a video of it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uadbvcjCAgk

This one also came with the original bracelet, though I prefer it on the strap.
    Last edited by Caruso; 30th November 2022 at 23:40.

That's a lovely watch - love a pie pan & fancy a gold one at some point when I'm back on my feet.

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

I also posted this review on WUS which helped flush out some more info on the Genta involvement in the design of the Constellation.

http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//Ge...tellations.pdf

In summary as well as the later C-Shape models it appears this is also one of his designs.