closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: When times are hard, what do you do?

Master

When times are hard, what do you do?

Hard is relative is course, but when money and confidence are low what do you do regarding watches as a hobby? Do you lose interest? reign your spending in but keep interested reading about watches etc? take longer saving up but bit the same sort of price range watches? Buy as many watches but at a cheaper price range? Go without food and heating because you got THE call from your AD? Max the credit facilities and hope for an upturn before the AD calls again?

Or something else?

Currently I'm just saving for longer.

Just remember, it is only a hobby.

Agree with that Gav, 100%. Remember it’s a hobby and enjoy what you have

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm currently trying to look at mid range stuff. Weighing up an Seiko SPB Vs Christopher Ward Vs more for a Sinn EZM 3/3F.

I got my SD43 out at the weekend so I'm wearing that for bit. It felt quite worthless wearing it while watching How the Other Half Live on Channel 5 the other day.

Think I'm going to leave the posh stuff in the deposit box for a while and wear my Seikos/Garmin/G-Shock, or the more subtle ones.

Might even not buy anything for a year and see how it goes.

Master
    I've stopped buying and selling miscellaneous pieces, sold all the watches I had, and bought two that I really really want.

I'm happy, and I'll gradually save over the next few months to add another I really really want.

So in essence, I've just stopped the continuous, random buying and selling.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Yep!
    Can always sell a few if you get the call!

When times are hard, what do you do?

I’ll tell you when I get there. But I expect I’d stay in the same bracket and save for longer; unless too long a wait, in which case I’d move down.

If i try to sale mine, i think i will not obtain much. Then just enjoy it

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Depends what you want from your hobby and if that involves buying watch after watch I suppose you might see a change. Otherwise no difference.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m lucky that pretty well anything that was excellent once gives me about the same grin. I’ve got most of what I want already and so if I ever found myself poorer, I doubt much would change.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Depends if you buy watches to collect, wear or something else.

I wouldn't let any hobby interfere with my ability to heat or eat.

Journeyman
    I’m being cautious and certainly not buying anything on credit. To be honest, it’s helping me appreciate what I already own and I can see me actually reducing numbers considerably. I’d like to get down to six watches in total (excluding G-Shocks obviously).

I’m not sure just buying stuff for the sake of it is a hobby - that’s just called shopping isn’t it? - for me the hobby is the forum and learning about horology - I still enjoy wearing and owning watches but imho you don’t need to spend money to get plenty of enjoyment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m not sure just buying stuff for the sake of it is a hobby - that’s just called shopping isn’t it? - for me the hobby is the forum and learning about horology - I still enjoy wearing and owning watches but imho you don’t need to spend money to get plenty of enjoyment

That’s my take, I have just bought a watch but that’s the first in a while and one will get sold in due course.

I’d hope most spend surplus cash on watches, if things are tight then watches would be the first thing to cut, but that wouldn’t stop my interest.

I’ve scaled back on watch buying to none planned. And barring a miracle no more wanted. For me now in the tougher months the hobby moves on to enjoying what I have and being able to change what I have by swapping straps and buying inexpensive straps to freshen watches up, especially the speedie!

I keep putting away what I can to the watch fund but I am more than conscious the fund may be called on for other uses too!

Master
    Buy a few straps and rotate them through the watches. QR spring bars are fantastic.

When do you guys reckon the harder months will come? Are you stopping watch purchases now or will only do so once things get tough? It's just that they may never get as tough as you fear and in the mean time you've been wasting time worrying. Carpe diem and all that.

I’m out, as I have more than enough watches. If I get the Rolex call I am fortunate enough to absorb it, but I may liberate some. FWIW the joy from my two CWCs is the equal of anything else I own, including stuff magnitudes more expensive.

D

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    When do you guys reckon the harder months will come? Are you stopping watch purchases now or will only do so once things get tough? It's just that they may never get as tough as you fear and in the mean time you've been wasting time worrying. Carpe diem and all that.
    Some on here buy watches then sell shoes to make up the spend. They are the ones to worry about. Buy if you genuinely won't need to sell to afford normal life. Otherwise take a break, or accept when you do sell you will lose, or even not be able to sell at all.

It's more a case of everyone saying hard times are coming without actually being able to point to when they will come. Are people being over cautious and buying into negativity needlessly?

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I’m out, as I have more than enough watches. If I get the Rolex call I am fortunate enough to absorb it, but I may liberate some. FWIW the joy from my two CWCs is the equal of anything else I own, including stuff magnitudes more expensive.

D

I agree. Last week I got the call for a ND Sub and after the initial 2 day honeymoon I've been left with a resounding feeling of 'meh', and I can't even sell it else the AD will be on the case. I'd much rather have a Minase Divido

I agree. Last week I got the call for a ND Sub and after the initial 2 day honeymoon I've been left with a resounding feeling of 'meh', and I can't even sell it else the AD will be on the case. I'd much rather have a Minase Divido
    Tbf Ryan the outcome of you being underwhelmed by a bog standard sports Rolex was inevitable.

Possibly you wanted the chase, or were bored?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Tbf Ryan the outcome of you being underwhelmed by a bog standard sports Rolex was inevitable.

It's just that the watch is very capable in an understated way but that I find underwhelming. Nothing wrong with the watch it is the best modern Sub yet IMHO it's just that it's a Sub. Boring old Sub. I've genuinely no idea what watch I'd 100% keep (although saying that Devonian's anniversary RO would be pretty darned close).

It's just that the watch is very capable in an understated way but that I find underwhelming. Nothing wrong with the watch it is the best modern Sub yet IMHO it's just that it's a Sub. Boring old Sub. I've genuinely no idea what watch I'd 100% keep (although saying that Devonian's anniversary RO would be pretty darned close).
    The Sub 41 ND and the D-Blue are my two firm favourites but iappreciate they're not for everyone, there are definitely more interesting watches out there.

The AP would be lovely but a 50th anniversary with no micro-adjustment is quite poor, especially with what they've done on the Offshore with the straps. Only holy trinity brand now without the adjustment on their true hero model.

Blog Entries
    The watch hobby for me is echo'd above - it is learning about horology and about the topic that interests me. It is a bit like photography - you can spend thousands or hundreds on a camera (system) but that is irrelevant what you spend - the camera makes you more or less interested in what makes an interesting photograph (as an art form) or the use of b&w to emphasise / promote the tonal range instead of colours.

Almost anything of interest is the same for me: physics, music, art, gardening, alternative energy. And also with watches - it is the discovery of new items and easthetics, researching online, in books or talking to like minded people that makes this hobby interesting.

End of ramble, expect to say bottom line its not so much the buying of watches but more the subject(s) that make it interesting. Saying that, the 7234G is great fun!!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

The Sub 41 ND and the D-Blue are my two firm favourites but iappreciate they're not for everyone, there are definitely more interesting watches out there.

The AP would be lovely but a 50th anniversary with no micro-adjustment is quite poor, especially with what they've done on the Offshore with the straps. Only holy trinity brand now without the adjustment on their true hero model.
    D Blue is an awesome watch - the clasp mechanism is fantastic and so over engineered in a cool way. I reckon I'd be able to keep that - no cyclops too.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It's more a case of everyone saying hard times are coming without actually being able to point to when they will come. Are people being over cautious and buying into negativity needlessly?
    We live in a country with national debt hovering around 100% of GDP. We have a house price bubble that has grown to the point that I don’t even have to end that sentence. Our political system is fucked and it’s hard to deny climate change when the effects are literally everywhere, even if they were not, peak oil already happened. I could go on but no one wants to hear it.

Fun fact, my old man worked for the old GLC and one of his worries from then to now is flooding. Did you know that the Thames barrier is closed more often to stop fluvial flooding, flooding due to rainwater, than flooding caused by surges. The nightmare isn’t the Thames barrier failing, although that wouldn’t be hard. The nightmare is a tidal surge just after heavy rain has necessitated closing the barrier as the tide turns to stop the water running down meeting the tide coming in. Of course, that’s very unlikely. Sorry, was very unlikely, but now rainfalll gets heavier and more frequent, surges become more powerful and, of course sea levels inch up, it’s just a matter of time. Feel free to check how often these events used to occur and how often they do now. Obviously such flooding would also hit Thames tributaries like Beverley Brook, on whose floodplain many suburban houses and infrastructure lay. I wouldn’t worry, that would be a once a century event and has been since the Thames barrier was completed…

So sure, I don’t know when, but I have few ideas about how. As Seneca said, luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Wise words.
    Last edited by M4tt; 30th November 2022 at 00:51.

Keep it and hand it to your son on his 18th birthday.

Master
    Flight to quality and liquidity for me. Definately always long on Rolex, but the mid range stuff, I sold off a few just to have liquidity for rainy days. The super collectible stuff, (say FP Journe) ill be keeping.

Recently Ive "re"discovered Omega and super happy with a Seamaster 300.

completely lost interest in Seiko though I have few dozen low to high items as their prices already catch up with Rolex and Omega

You have to be careful with statements like this.

Living in an affluent part of the SE, and just because you and colleagues/friends are thriving, it is too easy to believe everyone in the country must be thriving too.

This is not the case, but I suspect you rarely step out of your bubble. Not a criticism as I can be guilty of this too.

A trip from Surrey to my less-than-affluent northern home town keeps it real for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    You have to be careful with statements like this.

Living in an affluent part of the SE, and just because you and colleagues/friends are thriving, it is too easy to believe everyone in the country must be thriving too.

This is not the case, but I suspect you rarely step out of your bubble. Not a criticism as I can be guilty of this too.

A trip from Surrey to my less-than-affluent northern home town keeps it real for me.
    Absolutely. I visited some relatives in Perth the other week. It's a lovely town, but the High Street tells a sad story. And they've got low unemployment - some of the lowest in Scotland - but that disguises the number of underemployed people and the fact that 18% of children there are living in poverty. That's a snapshot of one place at one time, but it felt markedly different from my location just near Hampton Court.

Hard times are have always been here. Not for everyone, perhaps, but the difference is that almost everyone's been affected a bit this time around and there's a general understanding that the worst is yet to come.

To be honest, unless you are actually taking watches apart, I see this less of a hobby and more a consumerist interest...and like any other form of non-essential shopping, I'd just stop spending if times are hard.

I don't think I've ever felt like I had to rein in spending. I have never maxed out my spending capacity on a watch and if I can't afford it, I just don't desire it. I've never been someone that saves for a watch - saving money means the watch is too expensive for me to want to own. Personally, there are more worthwhile things to spend large amounts of money on.

Also, I think there are some great looking pieces at the cheaper end of the market, especially since every brand nowadays seems to be producing 'heritage' lines....Hamilton, Certina etc. I just bought myself an inexpensive Certina and get as much pleasure as a more expensive piece.

Every great investor knows you need to buy the dip.

Just remortgaged the house, on my way into town to queue, going to put everything into MoonSwatch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post

Just remortgaged the house, on my way into town to queue, going to put everything into MoonSwatch.
    Remember to max out a couple of cards as well for the full profit possibility

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I love watches come rain or shine, so im still reading writing and learning about them.
    I dont tend to buy unless ive sold so that wont change and in fairness, watch nerding keeps me away from consuming the news and its negativity.
    If I hit the skids, then I'll have to pull my pants up and deal with it at the time but id rather firefight when necessary than fear things I cant change and do my own head in.

I think hobbies should be for happiness and pleasure, if your hobby is putting financial or mental pressure on you, it might be time to rethink it.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I love watches come rain or shine, so im still reading writing and learning about them.
    I dont tend to buy unless ive sold so that wont change and in fairness, watch nerding keeps me away from consuming the news and its negativity.
    If I hit the skids, then I'll have to pull my pants up and deal with it at the time but id rather firefight when necessary than fear things I cant change and do my own head in.

I think hobbies should be for happiness and pleasure, if your hobby is putting financial or mental pressure on you, it might be time to rethink it.
    Well said C...the last bit shouldn't need saying, but did...you have/ do, a hobby to relax for goodness sake.
    Last edited by Passenger; 30th November 2022 at 18:28.

I try to massively live within my means even when times are good. So the ‘apparent’ hard times don’t hit.

… I also wait for the Blancpain anniversaries with abated breath!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    To be honest, unless you are actually taking watches apart, I see this less of a hobby and more a consumerist interest...and like any other form of non-essential shopping, I'd just stop spending if times are hard.
    Agree, for most of us it's just buying stuff.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post

Excellent answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    100% this.

I stopped buying anything a few months back when we bought our first house. I'm happy with my collection but I do have the odd day where I think about consolidation. A Datejust, Grand Seiko Snowflake and Sinn U1 are my 3 next targets, but right now I cant justify any of them.

Tricky as a lot of the buying of watches is the chase, but like a few others Ive consolidated my core collection to 3 watches and just waiting for the call on a couple of lists of interests and that is that for the moment as nothing is moving me. I do think there was before whilst prices were rising a more carefree attitude as you could always exit on a piece easier.

Master
    When I first got into watches about 15 years ago, it had nothing to do with chasing ADs for the latest 5 figure grail. For me it was about finding buried treasure, watches going for a song, but looking a million dollars and radiating glamour from another era. Since then the game has changed, these watches are all over the internet and values have increased. I haven’t bought a watch in ages as it seemed like a seller’s market, which might have been a clue to actually sell some. Then there would have been some funds set aside for the next part of the rollercoaster, AKA bargain hunting. But either way, the old one in, one out, not really spending game is actually becoming more interesting than it has been in the bubble era. My first incoming in a while (see the incoming thread) is an example of exactly this, a late 70s solid yellow gold day-date IWC hummer, something a little off the beaten track, for a fraction of what a new stainless steel watch from a similar brand might set you back. Perhaps ‘buy a gold watch’ is not the most sensitive answer to, ‘What do you do when times get hard?’, but it makes a change from looking at ‘great value’ £15k watches on the internet, and it reminds me what I enjoyed about all this in the first place.