closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend me a Japanese whisky

Recommend me a Japanese whisky

Love my Scotch and Irish but I've never tried Japanese.

Can anyone recommend some good smooth Japanese whisky please?
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 28th November 2022 at 22:18.

Blog Entries
    I can only say I’ve tried this and it’s ace

Yamazaki Distillery Reserve Single Malt Whisky, 70cl https://amzn.eu/d/5g3zSiA

Heard good things about this, but. Ever tried jr

Nikka From The Barrel Blended Japanese Whisky, 50 cl https://amzn.eu/d/ehkTMIH

From what one can currently readily get, I would opt for the NAS Distiller Reserve, either Yamazaki or Hakushu.

Yamazaki 12 has become a staple in my Whisky diet. Another vote for Nikka too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I can only say I’ve tried this and it’s ace

Yamazaki Distillery Reserve Single Malt Whisky, 70cl https://amzn.eu/d/5g3zSiA

Heard good things about this, but. Ever tried jr

Nikka From The Barrel Blended Japanese Whisky, 50 cl https://amzn.eu/d/ehkTMIH
    Nikka from the barrel is Scotch labelled as Japanese under their very lax laws, which will thankfully change soon

Waitrose offer a few to choose from.

I’ve had Nikka from the Barrel, and also Yamasaki. Yamasaki seems less available from the mainstream retailers than the last time I looked. Amazon has it for a decent price.

Nikka FTB is 51% so not for the faint hearted. You can taste the alcohol increase.

I enjoyed both. Yamasaki if I had the choice again as it was less alcohol, more flavour, in my limited experience.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Nikka from the barrel is Scotch labelled as Japanese under their very lax laws, which will thankfully change soon
    Nikka isn’t Japanese? I’ve never tried it, just had it as a recommendation

Somebody has to.

I had a bottle once but didn't think much to it.
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 28th November 2022 at 22:05.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Interested in this too. I went to Japan a couple of years ago and wanted to get a watch, knife, and whiskey. Got the first two but left the last to the airport and there was very little there except for Scotch.

Any views on Hibiki?

This is one of the nicest whiskies I’ve tried (and I’ve had a few ):

I

Thanks, I knew that TZ would be able to help with this one!

Is there some kind of shortage right now?

I thought that particular bottling is a genuine Japanese spirit rather than a Scottish one? In fact, I could have sworn it's Japanese. Regardless, I quite enjoy it personally, in fact I was drinking it in a local bar only a couple of nights ago!

OP - Suntory's Toki (Toki is translated as "time") is only good enough for mixing/cocktails, I'd avoid it neat. Other than that my only experience with the few Japanese whiskies I've tried are £70 upwards, of which Hibiki's Harmony was decent. If you have the £££ then Yamazaki's 18 is one of the best whiskies I've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Somebody has to.

My all time favourite film, that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Nikka isn’t Japanese? I’ve never tried it, just had it as a recommendation
    Nikka is a Japanese brand with their own Japanese distilleries however not all Japanese branded whisky is Japanese, some of it is actually Scottish. As IB has mentioned, plans are afoot to address particular marketing issues.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Nikka is a Japanese brand with their own Japanese distilleries however not all Japanese branded whisky is Japanese, some of it is actually Scottish. As IB has mentioned, plans are afoot to address particular marketing issues.
    That feels very disingenuous…

Craftsman
    +1 for nikka from the barrel even with the above.
    Toki’s good with soda
    Akashi (bit reminiscent of macallan fine oak perhaps)
    Chita single grain and togouchi both very good. Chita perhaps most quaffable of the bunch ..
    al

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    My all time favourite film, that.
    As a japanophile its fantastic, also for anyone who travels a log with work.

Yamazaki is a fave for the FIL, I would rather have ybisiu premium and some iron hearts

Just had a very quick Google ref Nikka WFTB and it does appear to be part Scottish in content, the single article I've read stating that some of the distalate is from the Nikka owned Ben Nevis distillery. I knew Ben Nevis was owned by Nikka and that it's used in some Japanese whiskies however not that particular one.

If you were to read MoM's write-up it would be easy to presume it's only Japanese content - https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...barrel-whisky/

Master

______

​Jim.

Just a bit of fun no. 2 -

______

​Jim.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Those clips are ace

Master
    Just had a very quick Google ref Nikka WFTB and it does appear to be part Scottish in content, the single article I've read stating that some of the distalate is from the Nikka owned Ben Nevis distillery. I knew Ben Nevis was owned by Nikka and that it's used in some Japanese whiskies however not that particular one.

If you were to read MoM's write-up it would be easy to presume it's only Japanese content - https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...barrel-whisky/

As above, my understanding is that NFTB is part-Japanese and part Scottish spirits.

I've been buying From The Barrel for a number of years (anyone remember the ultra-cool origami-style packaging it used to come boxed in?) and interestingly I bought another bottle a couple of weeks ago and my immediate impression was they've changed the blend - I got a distinct sense of peat which it never used to have..

Master

This is absolutely correct

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    As above, my understanding is that NFTB is part-Japanese and part Scottish spirits.

I've been buying From The Barrel for a number of years (anyone remember the ultra-cool origami-style packaging it used to come boxed in?) and interestingly I bought another bottle a couple of weeks ago and my immediate impression was they've changed the blend - I got a distinct sense of peat which it never used to have..
    A lot of Ben Nevis is now peated... so don't think that means it is more Japanese!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Thanks, I knew that TZ would be able to help with this one!

Is there some kind of shortage right now?
    Yes and there has been for the best part of a decade, and will take at least another 5 years to move out from

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack83 View Post
    Interested in this too. I went to Japan a couple of years ago and wanted to get a watch, knife, and whiskey. Got the first two but left the last to the airport and there was very little there except for Scotch.

Any views on Hibiki?
    Avoid the basic Harmony; either get the Master Harmony from the airport (excellent for the £65-ish RRP) or good luck finding the 12,18 or 21 without paying many hundreds of pounds, assuming you can find them at all!

Master
    Currently got Nikka FTB, Hibiki and Chita in my cabinet. Out of those 3, I’d have to say Chita is the one I prefer.

Avoid the basic Harmony; either get the Master Harmony from the airport (excellent for the £65-ish RRP) or good luck finding the 12,18 or 21 without paying many hundreds of pounds, assuming you can find them at all!
    The standard Harmony is about £70 retail, so I imagine the Master's Select would be substantially more even at RRP, given it's trying to be an upgraded Harmony?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Somebody has to.

I came here for this. I thank you.

Master
    Hibiki is/was nice but the price has gone stratospheric in recent years and it's now lost its age statement, so I haven't tasted it in a while.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    This is one of the nicest whiskies I’ve tried (and I’ve had a few ):

I [IMG][/IMG]
    I'm far from an expert on Japanese whiskey, but I really enjoyed that one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    The standard Harmony is about £70 retail, so I imagine the Master's Select would be substantially more even at RRP, given it's trying to be an upgraded Harmony?
    World Duty Free website says £67.50 and you can get as much as 12% off with a Dufry app…

World Duty Free website says £67.50 and you can get as much as 12% off with a Dufry app…
    So it is! Being a travel exclusive I'm always suspicious why they're there and not also more widely available, other than for marketing purposes.

I'll try and get a bottle to compare with my standard Harmony.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    So it is! Being a travel exclusive I'm always suspicious why they're there and not also more widely available, other than for marketing purposes.
    "Travel exclusive" plus "Master's Select" doesn't read very well to me at all! Both make my teeth itch.

Master
    "Travel exclusive" plus "Master's Select" doesn't read very well to me at all! Both make my teeth itch.
    Normally I would completely agree with you, but in this case I genuinely feel it’s the best value actual Japanese whisky out there.

If you want proper honesty; Japanese whisky due to hype and scarcity is priced way beyond its current quality. Unless you absolutely must have some, stick with Scotch, Irish or American

Master
    Yamazaki 12 year is lovely but has gone up in price recently.

If you want proper honesty; Japanese whisky due to hype and scarcity is priced way beyond its current quality. Unless you absolutely must have some, stick with Scotch, Irish or American
    I'm 100% with this too - it's very much artificially inflated at the moment.

Normally I would completely agree with you, but in this case I genuinely feel it’s the best value actual Japanese whisky out there.

I went to a whisky expert recently to buy a bottle for a friend. I'd entirely fallen for the Japanese hype and intended to go for some.
    The guy there said, in quality terms, that Japanese is expensive for what you get. He could sell me something far better from Scotland or Ireland for less money or something stratospherically better (his actual words) for the same money as some of the more expensive Japanese. He did himself out of some cash by selling me some Scotch which my pal, who knows his stuff, absolutely loved.
    Annoyingly I can't remember what it was called as Whisky isn't really my thing but it was a win win all round.

Not surprised to see Yamasaki and Nikka mentioned a couple times in this thread. Yamasaki was lovely when I tried it some years back, althought I can't quite recall the tones I got from it. I do remember Nikka was an excellent nightcap and would put me straight in the mood for a long sleep after a dram.

I’ve enjoyed Hibiki in the past (the good old days, had a sub-£100 bottle of Hibiki 17 years ago, was very very good) and still find it good, albeit pricey.

Currently I have a Yamazaki 12, Ichiro’s Malt MWR and Nikka Coffey Grain on the go, and recommend them all. The Coffey Grain strikes me as especially good value and (to me at least) is quite distinctively different. It’s corn based though so if you’re a single malt man it might not work for you.

Edited to add that I know very little about what constitutes “good” whisky. The above is just what I like. :-)

Thanks, this seems like sound advice.

Are there any scotch, Irish or American whisky bottles you could recommend for under £100 please?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Thanks, this seems like sound advice.

Are there any scotch, Irish or American whisky bottles you could recommend for under £100 please?
    Do you have a favoured cask/style? There are bottles aplenty up to that £.

If the country has an E in its name it’s whiskey. Otherwise it’s whisky.

Canada will be honoured
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Canada will be honoured
    Correct. They spell it whisky

Master
    Bit of a thread resurrection, but I’ve just finished a bottle of Hakushu Distillers Reserve and remembered about this thread. I found it quite decent, but pricey for what it is (no age statement, and seem quite young).
    Tasting notes suggest gentle smoke but I struggled to detect that to be honest… but did get a herby/grassy feel from it.

Back on to The Chita tonight.

Master
    Totally agree.

Not found a single one I’d rate over “Monkey Shoulder” let alone a Scottish Single Malt.

Lagavulin for me but a bottle of Monkey is excellent and inexpensive . I previously considered blends not worth drinking .