closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fundraiser and Sales Corner

Fundraiser and Sales Corner

During the past 2 weeks, there has been more than 250 sales posts in Sales Corner. During this period, there has been approximately 30 donations to the fundraiser. There is an understanding that following a successful sale via Sales Corner, a small donation will be made to the fundraiser and this clearly isn't happening.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

You need to sticky this at the top of the SC page.

I wasn't aware that every sale warranted a donation so probably no one else does. I thought 3 or more per week was a 10% donation, but anything else was discretionary.

Just make it a rule that every sale requires a donation.

Likewise, didn't know that was ever a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

I wasn't aware that every sale warranted a donation so probably no one else does. I thought 3 or more per week was a 10% donation, but anything else was discretionary.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Likewise, didn't know that was ever a rule.
    But you knew that selling three items or more a week warranted a 10% donation…

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    But you knew that selling three items or more a week warranted a 10% donation…
    It's possible to know one thing without knowing something else...

I also knew of the 3 items rule but not the expectation of a donation for every sale.

Whatever we thought before, and it was open to interpretation and personal conscience, it’s unambiguous now.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Whatever we thought before, and it was open to interpretation and personal conscience, it’s unambiguous now.
    But needs to be posted clearly in the SC rules.

It's no good in G&D where some people never venture. It's the people who never venture outside SC that need educatin'.

This needs to be page one, post one of the "Guidelines " thread on SC. Barmy that it's not.

Some people are either "regulars" or selling the odd expensive items, sometimes both.

If you have made a successful sale using the forum which of course doesn't charge like ebay it won't hurt you to cough up your bit to charity will it?

I agree that a sticky at the top of SC may prompt some of our more recalcitrant sellers.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I can't find that rule / guidance anywhere. If indeed it is a current or new rule, can we have a sticky or some kind of banner on the SC page? Compared to some other forums I use, TZ is very neat, tidy and clean so maybe this software doesn't accommodate banners.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    It's possible to know one thing without knowing something else...
    I doubt that was his point.

I've never seen this donation for every sale mentioned anywhere on here, but I would welcome it - it would be good to have this clearly laid out as a Sticky on the SC (with a clear expectation of % or £ amount, in my opinion).

5% for non-dealers?

Master
    Key word for me is "understanding"
    It has not been a rule but more an expectation.
    Even Raffe said last week in the BP in his disagreement with Wolf that there was no obligation.
    Clearer now then and as Mr Curta says unambiguous

Clear for all and no ambiguity.

Should be a sticky at the top of SC with a link to the Just Giving page.

No Tapatalk excuses

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Clear for all and no ambiguity.

Should be a sticky at the top of SC with a link to the Just Giving page.

No Tapatalk excuses
    Not sure on the first line but definitely agree with the second.

Sent from a technical device.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    5% for non-dealers?
    Agreed 5% for non-dealers and 10% for dealers on all watch sales.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    ....on all watch sales.
    What about tactical pens?

What about tactical pants?

What about mint cameras?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Is there lower donation on empty bubble bath bottles?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Is there lower donation on empty bubble bath bottles?
    Yes, there clearly is. He rather rode off into the sunset than contributing a penny into the fundraiser. Suppose that answers that.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    During the past 2 weeks, there has been more than 250 sales posts in Sales Corner. During this period, there has been approximately 30 donations to the fundraiser. There is an understanding that following a successful sale via Sales Corner, a small donation will be made to the fundraiser and this clearly isn't happening.

Eddie
    Turn off sales corner or make it subscription related. Seems to be a yearly post this.

In a good year, the fundraiser can receive £30K iin donations, in the last 12 months it's £14,549 (as of now).

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Blog Entries
    To be fair, this year has been noticeably slow in completed sales and in the face of repeated dogpiling, I suspect many sales have gone elsewhere.

I too never knew it was compulsory for all sales, however if it is then agreed needs to be in SC on a sticky.

In a good year, the fundraiser can receive £30K iin donations, in the last 12 months it's £14,549 (as of now).

Eddie
    In all fairness, I think the forum has created more than the difference in Ukraine-related donations this year. Don't think it's just as bleak as the headline number suggests.

It’s a bit pointless posting about it here without making a rule/banner of it over on SC, all the OP post is going to do is create agro on SC and BP for people that haven’t seen it.

That said it would be good to have a more rule/structured system to sales, maybe like said - 5% but also a minimum and maximum fee, that way you still get cheap straps offered and 50k watches..

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

I have to say, that I too was unaware of this rule.
    I thought, it was just for those members, who declared that they were "Dealers"
    Also I was not aware of the "Three Rule".
    I knew that you were not allowed to advertise more than 3 items in one go, but not making a donation.

I tend to make my donations spasmodically and to causes that I believe in, such as Mr Curta, Ukraine, Kevin Sinfield, Dame Barbara and others.

That said, I shall now pay a small donation for items sold, if the value is above about £50.

Incidentally, and without knowing about this post from Eddie and his concerns, another member has just paid a donation to the Fundraiser, for an item I had donated.
    Last edited by Topcat30093; 28th November 2022 at 18:05.

It's not a rule, it's more of an "honesty box" type of thing.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    In all fairness, I think the forum has created more than the difference in Ukraine-related donations this year. Don't think it's just as bleak as the headline number suggests.
    This is true, particularly when combined with the immense support received for the Young Minds/Spread-a-Smile raffle, however there have been years with large amounts raised for other worthy causes that didn't seem to impact on the TZ-UK Fundraiser (e.g. Nepal Earthquake).

I'm immensely grateful to Eddie for allowing others to use his platform to promote and fundraise for their favoured charities, and I rather hope that they are predominantly 'as well as' rather than 'instead of'.

The TZ-UK Fundraiser is an integral and important part of this forum, one of the things that make it unique and special.

I’m not sure an honesty box will work ,I’d rather it be a rule or put a subscription in place .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Not sure what Tapatalk usage percentage is like but that definitely does not help, obviously using the web it is much more visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Not sure what Tapatalk usage percentage is like but that definitely does not help, obviously using the web it is much more visible.
    What difference does it make whether members use Tapatalk or internet?

I have never heard about anyone not noticing that SC exists when they use Tapatalk, why would they forget about the fundraiser?

Master
    A subscription fee is a fair idea. Watches sold on here are generally offered at under market rate anyway so to stick another 5% on it will push many to eBay or alike where substantially higher prices can be obtained.

I have never heard about anyone not noticing that SC exists when they use Tapatalk, why would they forget about the fundraiser?
    I don't think that the TZ-UK Fundraiser banner is prominently visible with Tapatalk but get your point.

Fundraiser and Sales Corner

The point I was making is that on the website the fundraiser link/banner is more visible, On Tapatalk it is not visible or as easy to see.
    I am not saying that is the only reason of course, I suppose many members know and do not put in. However, lots of new/newer members that may not ever grace the website, that may not even be aware of the unwritten rule.
    Last edited by Gavbaz; 28th November 2022 at 19:29.

It's not a rule, it's more of an "honesty box" type of thing.

Eddie
    Make it a rule then.

Make it a rule then.
    +1

You have to be a bit careful with wording because once it becomes no longer 'voluntary' there are Gift Aid implications.

Make it a rule then.

+2

I had no idea it was an expectation - being so, it should be made a rule: simple and unambiguous.

I bung the occasional few quid in anyway, and offer the occasional bit for sale for the FR, so no problem with it. Just annoying that regular traders never do (and will continue to ignore it).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    +2

I had no idea it was an expectation - being so, it should be made a rule: simple and unambiguous.

I bung the occasional few quid in anyway, and offer the occasional bit for sale for the FR, so no problem with it. Just annoying that regular traders never do (and will continue to ignore it).
    Traders don't seem to pay and with the SC being restricted from public view, they don't need to worry about paying tax either , so it's very lucrative for them.

Lot's of excuses for non payment but the plain simple fact is that 87.5% of sellers have not paid a penny .

You have to be a bit careful with wording because once it becomes no longer 'voluntary' there are Gift Aid implications.
    Presumably any current Dealer contributions similarly can't be entitled to Gift Aid either. A discounted amount of more is still better than a grossed-up amount of significantly less.

People who don’t know about the ‘understanding’ that you’ll pay into the fundraiser when selling an item (watch/pens/cardigans/rubbish shoes)? I sense a degree of ignorance. As in I’ll ignore that bit, doesn’t apply to me.

I’ve been a member here for a while now. Rarely post, never sold anything, have made a few contributions either when buying or just because it’s a good thing to do. It’s one of the first things I noted when SC was first available to me. I use Tapatalk almost exclusively too.

Good to see that some are now noting this understanding/expectation now.

Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    People who don’t know about the ‘understanding’ that you’ll pay into the fundraiser when selling an item (watch/pens/cardigans/rubbish shoes)? I sense a degree of ignorance. As in I’ll ignore that bit, doesn’t apply to me.

I’ve been a member here for a while now. Rarely post, never sold anything, have made a few contributions either when buying or just because it’s a good thing to do. It’s one of the first things I noted when SC was first available to me. I use Tapatalk almost exclusively too.

Good to see that some are now noting this understanding/expectation now.

I think most of the forum didn't know about this expectation but many do anyway, I've been a member for over 8 years and it's the first time I've seen it mentioned.

I'd also add that I don't think it's anyone who's posted in this thread that abuses SC and the only way to fix it is to ban them. Many sellers selling 3 items every week just so they don't have to pay Eddie's chosen charities

Craftsman
    Not being much of an accountant I always thought if you received something for the donation strictly speaking you could not gift aid it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about just contributing to the fundraiser for the pleasure of enjoying the forum and without selling something on SC?

Just a thought...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Were the 250 sales posts this week all successful? I see a lot of sales posts which seem to languish…trying to sell great pieces but to a relatively small market, and no-one bites.

Three and a half years since I last sold something on SC.

Hasn't kept me from donating into the fundraiser every couple of months anyway.

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    This needs to be page one, post one of the "Guidelines " thread on SC. Barmy that it's not.
    Seems to be the consensus to add some sort of guidelines sticky post on SC reminding people to donate to the fundraiser. Can we still claim the voluntary donation status if we mention donating in the guidelines?

I hadn't bought or sold anything on SC since mid-2020 and have only recently listed a few items. I only made a donation from my last sale because I saw some other sellers mention it in their posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    Seems to be the consensus to add some sort of guidelines sticky post on SC reminding people to donate to the fundraiser. Can we still claim the voluntary donation status if we mention donating in the guidelines?
    My understanding is that it is okay if there is a choice about payment to the FR and no mandatory 'minimum donation'. Some won't pony up for sure but it's a pain to administer otherwise and we can hope that karma will get them in the end. It's nice to see donations just because someone has enjoyed a post or benefited from advice or some other non-SC related activity.