closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exit watch £4k

Master

Exit watch £4k

So have been thinking recently that I just would like one decent watch and be done with it, keep looking at a Speedy Pro happy with an honest one and not fussed about the big box etc, as wanting to wear it but dress it up and down with different straps.

But as ever there are other that take my fancy and after owning a CW C65 Vintage I am very much liking British brands. With Farer taking my fancy very much so, the Discovery II in the purple face with a nice strap and then the addition of an bracelet could be such a nice thing.

So wondering on people’s thoughts, price doesn’t really matter but want to keep sensible etc

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like Farer, buy one and keep the remaining cash in reserve (assume they are circa £1k?). Then, when the inevitable desire to buy another watch cknes along, you've got a watch fund to draw on.

Speedy is a good shout as a one and done. Try to get the latest 3861 movement version as it's much better than the non cosc 1861 imo.

If it was me, with a £4k budget I'd be going used Tudor bb58 blue plus a used handwound alpha cal Nomos (probably an Orion or Ludwig).

If it was one watch only, at £4k I'd go bb58 blue.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think we all get like that, I away from more to less to cheaper to more expensive.

The speedmaster is the best strap king I know of and it suits every occasion.

If you wanted 3 hand an op at list would be my first choice.

If I dropped to a single watch it would be the sub 40mm.

An OP at list has to be the best all rounder for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    An OP at list has to be the best all rounder for me anyway.
    Good shout and I did consider this but even now getting one at rrp is tricky.

If you’re blowing it all on one watch, it would be an OP or an Aqua Terra for me. A used IWC Pilot Mark would be a contender too.

The speedie is great but I’d be nervous about taking it somewhere wet, which makes it a fantastic watch everywhere but on holiday.

I would personally go with the two watch idea and a BB58 + a nomos is a great suggestion.

A Longines spirit is a good all rounder with a good choice of colours and sizes + cash left over for a second watch.

Choices; choices.

Pelagos 39. One and done

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Pelagos 39. One and done
    I’m with Ryan here, I’m tempted my self with one of these then calling it a day, I’m never going to spend £8k on a Rolex 14060M (what I’d really like) any more but those Pelagos 39 look superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    I’m with Ryan here, I’m tempted my self with one of these then calling it a day, I’m never going to spend £8k on a Rolex 14060M (what I’d really like) any more but those Pelagos 39 look superb.
    If wrist size allows I’d say the original Pelagos ETA as you’ll get a date and the more balanced face.

Exit watch £4k

I bought my BB58 black on bracelet back in April and I’ve struggled to take it off - it’s become a 1 watch collection even though I currently have others to choose from! - the Pelagos is probably a good shout - not seen one in the metal yet - I’d just be concerned it might be a bit clinical/tool watchy for an only watch. I’ve owned 3 speedies and never kept one for more than a month, one of those watches I want to like, looks fabulous in pictures, I just never bond with it in real life!

I've always said this about the IWC Aquatimer in titanium, I should have stumped up the cash when they were £2k. Now, they're way out of my price range, so I'll have to be happy with a bunch of Seikos, and a Longines diver as my flagship.

Quote Originally Posted by burton View Post
    So have been thinking recently that I just would like one decent watch and be done with it, keep looking at a Speedy Pro happy with an honest one and not fussed about the big box etc, as wanting to wear it but dress it up and down with different straps.
    That's it. Latest version of the sapphire sandwich is the one for me. It's got the charm of a vintage, with the accuracy and quality of a new watch. The movement is stunning to look at, and performs as good as anything else on the market. The new bracelet is really nice, and the Speedy is just that, it's not trying to be anything else. I love the new Pelagos and the Black Bay 58 but if you could swap either for Sub at no extra cost you would.

Master
    Speedmaster is the answer. Personally, if it was a one watch, I’d get one of the sapphire crystal versions though.

It’s boring, but a Rolex OP is a solid watch that you never need to apologise for.

Something more bespoke is one option if you are happy with something that isn’t at all sporty. I have a Dornblüth in final testing which is £4K, although £5K with my dial option

Garrick S4 is above budget as they start at £6K, but are British and pretty impressive, if you can get past the 42mm size. Doesn’t financial mission creep define this hobby?

Dave

Master
    Explorer II 16570 'Polar' would be my single watch, so versatile
    Last edited by J J Carter; 28th November 2022 at 00:03.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Explorer II 16570 'Polar' would be my single watch, so versatile

I’ll have two at £4K each.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    I’ll have two at £4K each.
    >price doesn’t really matter but want to keep sensible <

I’d buy either my favourite Omega Speedmaster, or Seamaster at £4k

or two Tudors
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    If you're only going to have one watch, then you want something that you can wear with anything. So, for me, that would mean either a diver or something along the lines of an OP or GS Heritage. Something where you can switch around the straps and dress it up or down.

BB58 is a good shout from that perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    It’s boring, but a Rolex OP is a solid watch that you never need to apologise for.

... I have a Dornblüth in final testing which is £4K, although £5K with my dial option

Dave

You've lost me on that comment. Why should you ever need to apologise for a watch?

On the Dornblüth, I'm looking forward to the incoming photos once it reaches you!

Master
    Im not sure I could ever call a CW or Farer an "Exit watch"

Omega, Rolex, IWC, try for as prestgious a brand as you can. Im not sure something like a CW or Farer will stand the test of time.

As boring as it sounds a nice 80's Datejust on jubilee with fluted bezel a la 1601 is just about attainable. Great on NATO, Leather and bracelet!

Master
    Thanks for the replies, I find the BB58 is a little large case height wise, Ranger does sit quite nicely though.

Also an exit watch doesn't have to be a major brand in my eyes, hence why I have said about CW and Farer as they are very nice indeed, I have had and tried on more expensive watches but they don't often look right in the flesh and seem over priced for what they are when compared.

I think a Speedy seems to tick the boxes, but as someone else has said not near water.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    As boring as it sounds a nice 80's Datejust on jubilee with fluted bezel a la 1601 is just about attainable. Great on NATO, Leather and bracelet!

That as a birth year watch would be ideal but not sure how obtainable it is now

Everyone’s opinions will be different, just get what you fancy. I’d love an exit watch, but I stupidly sold my grail watch (Rolex GMT) a while ago and I’ll never be able to get one now for the price I sold it for.

In an ideal world I’d like another one of those and be done with it but failing that maybe a couple of Tudor’s, the BB58 and either the Black Bay Chrono (white dial) or the Pelagos 39 and I would be happy with those.

I’ve had three Speedmaster and as much as they are a strap king I just couldn’t keep one for longer than a month.

If pre-owned I would highly recommend miltonaires for Rolex. A great team with expert advise who always go over and beyond. Plus the watch with be better than described and you will be safe in the knowledge that what you purchase will have been thoroughly checked and genuine.

https://www.miltonaires.com

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    If pre-owned I would highly recommend miltonaires for Rolex. A great team with expert advise who always go over and beyond. Plus the watch with be better than described and you will be safe in the knowledge that what you purchase will have been thoroughly checked and genuine.

https://www.miltonaires.com
    Agreed, I bought my GMT from there, great experience and the free bottle of champers was a nice touch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies, I find the BB58 is a little large case height wise, Ranger does sit quite nicely though.
    The BB58 & Ranger have the same case and dimensions ...

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    You've lost me on that comment. Why should you ever need to apologise for a watch?
    What I meant was that there are plenty of very interesting watches where an observer might say something that wasn’t exactly gushing and put you on the defensive.

As an example, something like Bremont, compelling you to respond about testing beyond endurance, and fired out of an ejector seat. Rolex is less likely to face that.

Dornblüth now in 2 week test period before shipping :)

Dave

Master
    This could well be my 'exit watch'.

Recent acquisition from SC, almost mint, over 20 years old.....FABULOUS

PB090028-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Obviously something Swiss, get it over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    The BB58 & Ranger have the same case and dimensions ...
    Yeah it’s the same case, Ranger looks bigger on wrist though due to the larger dial size. Different crown too.

For me for this question, I’d see if I could get an Omega Aqua Terra 38mm in budget, one of the current ones, black or white. Versatile, robust, great size and has a date complication which I’d want for the one watch, exit watch etc.

... I think a Speedy seems to tick the boxes, but as someone else has said not near water.
    I like Speedies - I'm no hater, but this is why I thought "Oh, no, not those." when I saw your criteria.

Personally, if it's one watch for daily wear, I want something that can handle whatever I throw at it, and which gives me lots of functions, so for that reason, it would be either a Tegimented Sinn, or any Damasko chronograph.

My single most-worn watch is a DC57 -

And - although I've yet to find the right example at the right price - a Sinn 756.030 is on the short-list for me - adds GMT to the mix for even more functionality -

All these are a bargain used, and all have easily serviced 7750-based movements, so no scary service bills in the future...

I think a Speedy seems to tick the boxes, but as someone else has said not near water.
    Unless you're Sponge Bob you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Obviously something Swiss, get it over there.
    Exchange rates won't work in your favour I'm afraid. Then there's shipping and tax....

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Exchange rates won't work in your favour I'm afraid. Then there's shipping and tax....
    Was an attempt at humour https://www.exit.ch/en/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I like Speedies - I'm no hater, but this is why I thought "Oh, no, not those." when I saw your criteria.

Personally, if it's one watch for daily wear, I want something that can handle whatever I throw at it, and which gives me lots of functions, so for that reason, it would be either a Tegimented Sinn, or any Damasko chronograph.

My single most-worn watch is a DC57 -

And - although I've yet to find the right example at the right price - a Sinn 756.030 is on the short-list for me - adds GMT to the mix for even more functionality -

All these are a bargain used, and all have easily serviced 7750-based movements, so no scary service bills in the future...
    Thats a good shout, the forum used have a few of these about each month when I first joined years ago...

Master
    I love the Moonwatch, have owned 2. Always missed having the date though, and it was a tad big. Also would have preferred better WR.

Have now acquired (have to wait until Christmas for it) a 3220 Speedy Triple date. Admittedly it doesn't have the purity of the Moon, but it's the perfect size for me, as lots of dates, and 100m WR. Happy days!

I think it will be a long-termer for me, along with my 16610. I will focus flipping on cheapies!

One of these:

A Speedmaster Professional is one watch worth considering and it would be within your £4k budget. It will be a struggle to get a used 3861 sapphire sandwich version on that budget as they are retailing at £6800. A used plexi 3861 is possible .

What year would make it a birth year watch for you?

Journeyman
    I think an Omega Aqua Terra will tick all the boxes as a one watch. Looks good on bracelet, leather, nato and rubber.

The Rolex OP is also a good option if you can get one at retail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    What year would make it a birth year watch for you?
    That would 1980

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Was an attempt at humour https://www.exit.ch/en/
    Doh!

Craftsman
    Tudor BB chrono gets my vote. Perfect all rounder IMHO.

That would 1980

Not the greatest period for watches, so that limits the birth year option. I'm from '79 and most options are either Rolex or quartz.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    Not the greatest period for watches, so that limits the birth year option. I'm from '79 and most options are either Rolex or quartz.
    Does seem to be the same, Rolex or Quartz Or a Seiko

Does seem to be the same, Rolex or Quartz Or a Seiko
    I'm looking at Seiko Grand Quartzes (HEQ/Twin Quartz), but I'm a vintage Seiko fanboy and they're not for everyone.

This would be a solid choice, I guess. Although it doesn’t do much for me, personally.

Exit watch £4k

Certainly not for everyone, but for me if it was 1980 I’ would have a CWC Fatboy (1 original and 1 reissue) then call it a day.

Used IWC Portuguese